• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm still devastated, Silent Hill needs to come back

You know, I love Silent Hill. As a child, I grew up playing on my game consoles with my autistic brother and partially disabled mother while my dad was at work over the holidays as I was growing up through school. Horror seemed to be a favourite of ours as only my mum was able to play it with my and my brother quite scared but urging her to go further. Some great times. A huge part of that, was Silent Hill. We played the original in 2000 and it was the perfect mix of everything we had played so far. Skip forward a few years, when my parents were able to buy a PlayStation 2 for Christmas, the first game was got was Silent Hill 2. And I have to say, without hyperbole, this is one of the greatest games ever made. A solid, extremely polished and technical marvel for the time that very carefully interwove story telling, game play and visual design to create a master piece. So much so, that it's been heavily used as a reference of one of the best game designs of all time, even with a book, Silent Hill The Terror engine.

Modern day however, through many hits and misses and Silent Hill is pretty much dead. It's still a favourite to play with the family for nostalgia, but it has arguably aged incredibly well. The CGI cut scenes are still impressive for the time, even if the lip syncing is a little off.

But Sony did something incredible at GamesCom 2014. These trade shows are like Christmas for me, I love the announcements, the festivities. Watching the show, something quite odd happened, they showed a video of people's reactions, then announced the demo for PT. Jesus christ, that demo was intense. But never in my deepest imagination would I believe it was a teaser for Silent Hills. In the wake of the experiment, I saw one the biggest upturns for a video games series like I never had before. We embrace IP returning, we love to see the greatest and latest that is coming soon but given the series decline, the hype was fucking real. Norman Reedus, Guillermo del Toro and Hideo Kojima. Smelt like a recipe for success. Throw into the mix that a lot of key people involved in the franchise were looking at returning and it kept getting better and better.

Until the Konami implosion. Silent Hills cancelled and that, as they say, is that. To quote Maechen.

You know I've seen a lot of things that really disappointed me in my time as a gamer. Companies lost to bankruptcy and time. Franchises dead and gone. Consoles dead and forgotten. But this... it still hurts me now. As a game, Silent Hill had a special place for me, as previously mentioned for family reasons but during my later high school years I started to suffer really badly from depression. I lost a lot friends, lost a lot of weight. I stopped talking to people and spent all my time inside playing games or sleeping. Bullying was a huge part of that, but in a weird kind of way, Silent Hill was just like a place to escape and get away from reality. If you've ever been bullied yourself, you'll probably have had day dreams of getting back at the people who are hurting you. Like the music video for Thoughtless by Korn, you have moments where you're consumed with anger as you wander off into your fantasies and dream about getting even. But you hit the earth pretty quickly with a bang when you realise it's all just pipe dreams and you have no chance what-so-ever of making it stop. You just have to wait for them to get bored and move on. Playing through the story of Silent Hill 2 always re-assured me that what goes around comes around. People will get judged by their actions in some way shape or form and it's ironic that the people who used to bully me have done far worse in life than I have, even if I haven't achieved a great much, I take pride is knowing that I never gave in and karma is a bitch.

It's been nearly three years since Konami cancelled Silent Hills and it is pretty apparent that the series is quite dead. From arguably the pinnacle of interest in the series to being shelved, I'm still pretty devastated. It's nice to be able to go back and play the previous games but I can't help but wonder what the future held for the franchise.

Who else on GAF still has a Silent Hill shaped void in their heart?

Geki-D

Banned
There are no good devs left at Konami and they tend to outsource to only cheap devs. Even if it did return, it would be crap.

Naked Lunch

Its pretty clear that only the original devs understood Silent Hill. Those devs are long gone and will never get back together. Its best just to enjoy 1-3 and let it go.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah definitely. I had Silent Hill 2 reserved at Babbages and my dad and I went after school and picked it up. I've always remembered it as being one of my all time favorites.

I own two copies of Silent Hill 2 now because one is defective. My wife bought me a replacement.

It's very sad. I've always loved the games. I always listen to the OST's on my way to work (1-4). I have O.R.T from Origins and Acceptance from Shattered Memories on iTunes.

I still have PT on my PS4. I was sad because I had faith in Kojima. We were going to get that next gen quality to the series after Downpour. I have a handful of books by Junji Ito too. It left a lasting impression for sure. It made me feel like the industry (Konami) didn't know what they were doing. They lost the chance at making one of the best psychological horror games in history. Team Silent is gone and now this.

After seeing God of War's list of 10's. I can bet it could be done, but by who?

IMG_3164.jpg

I made this around the time the game was cancelled and to this day it was a huge let down.

nkarafo

That Silent Hills game could easily be something of it's own, a new ip. It didn't have to be named Silent Hill. Τhere were no characters from past games and it even felt different as it was mostly based on jump scares. It didn't feel like a Silent Hill game but it was still a great horror demo. Kojima could easily just make a similar game and give it a new title. Konami doesn't own the horror genre. He didn't have to scrap the whole thing and make that new game he is making. All of his ideas that weren't in the demo could be done in a new ip.

OrionNebula

There are no good devs left at Konami and they tend to outsource to only cheap devs. Even if it did return, it would be crap.
I’m totally with you on this.

In Konami’s current state, we’d be lucky to have something as horrible as Downpour at best

Best to just enjoy the old games because that feeling is just not coming back

subsmoke

I love Silent Hill, especially the first two games but I don't think it's really a bad thing that its come to an end. It's better than them continuing to put out uninspired sequels.

Valonquar

I'd rather some other dev brought out a new IP of similar quality. Konami couldn't muster a Quiet Mound at this rate, let alone a Silent Hill.

sublimit

Banned
I am a huge fan of the first 3 games but the series should have ended at Silent Hill 2 in my opinion.

Whatever happens i definitely don't want to see it return as a first person corridor jump-scare fest just to make Twitch streamers happy.

Agree it needs a comeback. I’m actually shocked it didnt get rebooted when reboots and horror started taking off again. I still think its very possible, but that its in konamis hands holds it back a lot

WaterAstro

I think RE7 filled in decently for PT, though we won't have a true horror survival game from Kojima.

People should note that the creator of Silent Hill is working for Sony. Keiichiro Toyama left after the first game and started the Siren series with Sony. His last works are the Gravity Rush games. Who know, Sony has the capability to make them.

Over the last few months, I've talked quite a bit about this series at other forums, including commenting on Silent Hill fan forums devoted to the games that are only visited by several stragglers now. I've also recorded videos and uploaded them to YouTube, to express how disheartened I am that the series is likely going to stay dead, along with these other forums I speak of, which used to be so active. Now I feel like I only receive a reply once in a blue moon. However, I don't have a great web cam and I kind of lack the necessary charisma needed for making talk videos, and without that, I doubt I'm going to be attracting a lot of subscribers. My Scottish accent is another issue; I don't think people will understand much of what I'd be saying.

Being plagued by an annoying stalker doesn't help matters, but personally, I do think the Silent Hill series sucked after Team Silent was fired by Konami, so there's nothing much to chat about, because I think we have only old ground to cover. We can only say so much about the retro games before we get so bored of rabbitting on about what once was. Considering how long ago the firing occurred, and with Konami not focusing on console gaming any more, I'm not surprised the series has been left to rot. After the fourth game, I didn't think the other games made by those other developers were really that good. They were just so-so, but I think that the series couldn't move over to action and adopt that style successfully the same way that Resident Evil could, so the poor sales meant that carrying on the series may have not been worth the hassle. Even some people are beginning to think that the Resident Evil series is also on its way out. Then of course, the last straw was when Kojima left Konami...and look what happened with Silent Hills back in 2015. The very game that could have resurrected the series was axed, and there's been zilch about the series since, unless you want to count posts about slot machines and related tie-in media that does nothing but upset fans who want a real game to be developed, and also developed correctly.

I do think it's sad though that many of the fan sites about both of these franchises, are now gone. There used to be a lot of classy fan sites run by people who were very passionate about discussing the franchises, and I liked seeing all the fan art, avatars, videos, exclusives, translated interviews and other stuff that kept you amused. For example, Dominik Mayr from Austria ran Resident Evil Horror for many years, but he shut it down and founded Rely on Horror, much to the dismay of his long term visitors. The site had popular forums and these were among the busiest of fan forums that I'd ever seen, with new posts almost every hour. Now, Rely on Horror focuses on all kinds of horror games other than just the obvious ones, but I do think that people simply lost interest in the biggest series once they became too old, or work, personal relationships and whatnot just got in the way of their gaming leisure. Even message boards are dying. These days, you can use a social media account and just log in to leave comments beneath a news article. Forums don't seem to be that popular any longer, and it is upsetting, because I'm not a massive fan of Facebook, Twitter and similar websites. I'm aware that some forums are populated by arrogant douche bags, but there's also a lot of genuinely sincere fans online as well.

I'm still devoted to supporting the series, but I've been questioning myself lately about whether Capcom will be able to successfully release more sequels and keep everyone happy, or just half-ass everything for years to come so that they end up like Konami has. Right now, all the games are just hype to me, and I cannot see this remake of 2 being a big success. We've not even seen a shred of real content yet, but games have changed so much since 1998 that I think it is foolish for Capcom to try to pull the wool over our eyes at this point in time. The remake of 2 will probably be a dreadful and non-atmospheric third person shooter. Not only that, the game will probably not be as faithful as the original remake (of the first game) in other ways too, because I think Capcom are doing it more for the fanboys than the true fans. What they spout to us cannot be believed anymore. Sure, they brought back the survival horror aspects with 7 last year. So what? Does that define the series for you? No, because it was people like Shinji Mikami that made the franchise what it was, pre-2007. They had the vision. Capcom alone doesn't have that same level of dedication in them and they will keep on cutting corners. All the recent slop proves that.

There’s nothing stopping Kojima and Guillermo from collaborating again to complete the spiritual successor to PT. The demo has a cult following.

Y2H

'In my restless dreams, I see that town. Silent Hill. You promised me you'd take me there again someday. But you never did.'

Curse you, Konami. Silent Hills could have been something great and all you care about is how much money you can make with minimal effort.

Hopefully Kojima makes a horror game under a different name. His eccentric mind could come with something interesting.

subsmoke

To be fair to Konami I can see why they wouldn't want to continue the series anymore. It has a small and hard-to-please niche audience and even though they've admittedly made some bad decisions with SH in the last 10+ years, there are a lot of fans who would automatically trash anything new just because it wasn't made by Team Silent. Rather than try to win over the small SH audience they can make more money with less effort by focusing on the casual mobile market instead.

Rodolink

I was exactly thinking about this yesterday, I really miss Silent Hill, I like the overall atmosphere and universe more than RE at the time, and although I loved RE7 would be really nice to have a RE7 like Silent Hill, ironic it took inpiration from PT

Masatshi

Silent Hill was the only game (series) that gave me nightmares! .... o_O
The return with "PT" would have been great, but now I think we should let it die, even if it hurts....

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I still turn on PT every once in a while because of how good it is. I feel like it is a masterpiece by itself.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I miss the series as a whole. 1, 2, 3, 4, Downpour. I thought they were all good. Homecoming being the one super poor title in the mainline series. Origins being decent for a handheld, but lacked an interesting story. Overall, there is a lot that can be done with the franchise and the setting, but lack of creative heads and quality developers has left us with nothing to show.

kunonabi

Silent Hill being dead is the best thing that's happened to it in years. I can play the first three games anytime I want on my PS2 and that's good enough for me.

DonF

Silent Hill was the only game (series) that gave me nightmares! .... o_O
The return with "PT" would have been great, but now I think we should let it die, even if it hurts....
Use the silent hill theme as an alarm, wake up terrified.
Silent Hill as a whole is amazing. In its time it was a technical marvel, it had awesome sound and music, great story. It started as a resident evil clone, then it forked into its own psychological horror masterpiece.

Some indie group made a similar game called Forgotten Memories: Alternate Realities, which is a mobile game. But they have decided not to put in the effort and port it across to the PS4. If you think about it, The Evil Within 2 is so similar to the series, right up to the crumbling roads and how you touch mirrors to go into a different section you cannot otherwise explore. Travis also did that in Origins with the mirrors.

Modern day however, through many hits and misses and Silent Hill is pretty much dead.

Join the club, man. There's a lot of older series I liked that are gone...Castlevania, Mega Man, Suikoden, Wild Arms, Shadow Hearts, God of War, Twisted Metal, F-Zero, Metal Gear Solid, etc, etc.

Just be happy that the series had the run that it did...a lot of them don't even get off the ground or are dead after one or two games. Everything ends ugly otherwise it wouldn't end. Silent Hill had a good run.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I might be alone on this, but as good as PT was I hope if we do get new Silent Hill game, its not in first person.

johntown

Banned
I new game would be awesome but from a company that won’t even bring the games to digital (steam) I doubt we will ever see a new game that is actually decent.

If anyone is looking for a new Silent Hill game it will most likely be a slot machine.

Nymphae

Banned
It started as a resident evil clone

This is true, but I think SH outdid it's inspiration. RE1 is laughable at this point (honestly it was pretty laughable back then too, the opening cinematic, the dialogue, the B movie vibe), but SH1 still creeps the shit out of me.

The Silent Hill franchise is the pinnacle of horror/dark gaming for me, but I don't think it's likely to ever come back in any way that would be meaningful to the fans of the original 4 entries. Best just replay the classics and be grateful we got those.

I'm happy that we still get games like The Last of Us and The Evil Within. But once you finish them, you feel bored again...until they announce a new game that we have to wait years for. At least they are taking their time. TLOU is one game that deserves to have a special sequel. If Silent Hill were to continue, it would probably be a terrible mobile game.

Top Bottom