• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm still sad that the original Metal Gear Solid: Rising got cancelled

ExpandKong

Banned
Damn it, your description is what I've innately known about the game and it's part of why I lack the motivation. I remember the framerate wasn't stellar either and this was on 360.

I did think the artstyle and setting were really good though.

Still, thanks for sharing your experience with me! I might make the effort to go through it soon so that I can keep mental notes on what it did and didn't do well.

Pardon my sidetracking but what other games would you consider your favourites from the previous generation?

I like actiony games a lot, so Rising and the Bayonetta games were favorites. I enjoyed Catherine quite a bit, the Dead Space games were all good...oh, the Resident Evil Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles games were fun lightgun games I still mess around with. I don’t have a ton of time to sink into RPGs anymore but I really liked Lost Odyssey and Xenoblade...and Fallout 3 and NV.

My tastes are kind of all over the place I guess.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Your snark isn’t unjustified or anything but I will say that I really can’t imagine any scenario where MGSR has a better soundtrack than Revengeance.
That really depends on the person. Revengeance’s music is perfect for it, and it also compliments what they were going for.
But I would have loved to hear what Nohibino and Honda would have written for Solid Rising.

Akhiro Honda:

Norihiko Hibino:

https://youtu.be/J0c3Mf9ljos

https://youtu.be/RXrj3lV6bsM

https://youtu.be/7oEojKEsRu0

https://youtu.be/e6fDUwOpa5M

https://youtu.be/CQOf1-EdUjk

I like actiony games a lot, so Rising and the Bayonetta games were favorites. I enjoyed Catherine quite a bit, the Dead Space games were all good...oh, the Resident Evil Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles games were fun lightgun games I still mess around with. I don’t have a ton of time to sink into RPGs anymore but I really liked Lost Odyssey and Xenoblade...and Fallout 3 and NV.

My tastes are kind of all over the place I guess.

Thanks for the answers! I've played the majority of what you listed but not completed some of them (Catherine, Xeno, LO, FO3, DS3). Never tried the lightgun games though I was interested in getting them at one point. Are yours the PS3 or Wii games...or both? XD

I know exactly what you mean about RPGs, I played Persona 5 back in 2017 and it was so damn long.

Did you not play/like Ninja Gaiden II? Also, I'd recommend Pandora's Tower if you haven't played it.

That really depends on the person. Revengeance’s music is perfect for it, and it also compliments what they were going for.
But I would have loved to hear what Nohibino and Honda would have written for Solid Rising.

I think you can have a decent glimpse into what Hibino might have done by giving the Ninja Blade OST a listen.

If my impression of him isn't wrong, he tends to weave some jazz into his music.

I mean the trailer might look cool but the fact of the matter is there was no game, the devs couldn't make it. It's not like this is a situation where the team ran out of budget or something. PG was at least able to make a game out of the concept.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I think you can have a decent glimpse into what Hibino might have done by giving the Ninja Blade OST a listen.

If my impression of him isn't wrong, he tends to weave some jazz into his music.
It really depends in the project. Most of the jazz influence stayed in mgs2. Mgs3 and Mgs4 hardly have any hints of jazz. But then again, if they wanted to bring back certain motifs from mgs2’s ost because of the story, he might have revisited that sound.

Breakage

The logo was better too:
metalgearrising.jpg

ExpandKong

Banned
Thanks for the answers! I've played the majority of what you listed but not completed some of them (Catherine, Xeno, LO, FO3, DS3). Never tried the lightgun games though I was interested in getting them at one point. Are yours the PS3 or Wii games...or both? XD

I know exactly what you mean about RPGs, I played Persona 5 back in 2017 and it was so damn long.

Did you not play/like Ninja Gaiden II? Also, I'd recommend Pandora's Tower if you haven't played it.

The Wii versions. I tried the PS3 version of Darkside Chronicles as I think it was a Ps+ freebie at one point, but I don’t have Move controllers and playing it with a DualShock just isn’t the same.

I never got around to NG2, but I heard good stuff. It’s in my ever-growing backlog. The first one was one of my favorites from the gen before.

Pandora’s Tower huh...I’ll check it out. Wii games are mostly pretty cheap nowadays.

It really depends in the project. Most of the jazz influence stayed in mgs2. Mgs3 and Mgs4 hardly have any hints of jazz. But then again, if they wanted to bring back certain motifs from mgs2’s ost because of the story, he might have revisited that sound.

I didn't play 4. The main theme (Snake Eater) of 3 alone has more than a hint of jazz.

I suppose if Kojima mandated that he avoid putting in jazzy sounds he'd comply, but that's not what people typically hire Hibino for.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I didn't play 4. The main theme (Snake Eater) of 3 alone has more than a hint of jazz.

I suppose if Kojima mandated that he avoid putting in jazzy sounds he'd comply, but that's not what people typically hire Hibino for.
I dont think that’s a fair statement. No jazz in Ghost Babel. No jazz in mgs4. One jazz track for on mgs3, which is the title track.

manfestival

I am just glad we didn't get MORE Metal Gear Rising. Honestly, it was an annoying game that seemed to grab all of the toxic type of fans that hover around DMC. That stuff can stay out of Metal Gear please(those people and the game type).

The Wii versions. I tried the PS3 version of Darkside Chronicles as I think it was a Ps+ freebie at one point, but I don’t have Move controllers and playing it with a DualShock just isn’t the same.

I never got around to NG2, but I heard good stuff. It’s in my ever-growing backlog. The first one was one of my favorites from the gen before.

Pandora’s Tower huh...I’ll check it out. Wii games are mostly pretty cheap nowadays.

Oh yea I'd never ask anyone to play lightgun games with analogue sticks unless it was their only way to experience it.

NG2 is flawed in many respects but also quite forward-thinking in many others. I think it's one of the few action games of its type where it tries to give the impression of a huge adventure (like what Daikatana tried to do).

Most such action games take place in relatively compressed locations: majority of NGB took place in the Vigoor Empire, DMC was Mallet Island, DMC3 was the tower, Bayo 2 centralised around the mountain and MGR had most of it taking place in Denver.

Pandora's Tower is almost like a 3D spiritual successor to Castlevania 2 - Belmont's Revenge, especially with its themed towers. The usage of the Wiimote for whipping the chain around might not age well but I'm fairly certain it'd be worth your time and around 20USD (you can probably find it around that price or a bit lower).

This short and sweet video does a good job talking about the game:

Reon

Metal Gear is right up at the top of my favorite franchises of all time, I played all of the core games and the bulk of the spinoffs like Portable Ops and Ac!d but none of them disappointed me as much as Metal Gear Rising did. Revengeance was a good game in and of itself but it was a terrible idea to make it related to Metal Gear in any capacity.

Metal Gear is a bit insane sometimes but it's very dramatic and has a specific tone to it, Rising just abandoned all of that and became a dumb meme game that didn't express any respect for the Metal Gear franchise outside of the setting. Raiden being a cyborg ninja was cool in MGS4 but it was taken to such an insane degree in Rising that it might as well have just been a different character. I've noticed a lot of people who like Revengeance don't care much for Metal Gear as a franchise.

chemspida

Banned
The Rising we got was one of the most insane experiences I've ever had in gaming. I hope Platinum can make a sequel with a proper budget and time.

I dont think that’s a fair statement. No jazz in Ghost Babel. No jazz in mgs4. One jazz track for on mgs3, which is the title track.

Okay I did some searching and listening. Firstly, he only co-wrote one track on the MGS4 and PW OSTs.

Secondly, even in MGS3's "Battle In The Base" there are his infusions of jazz (as well as other elements, which is something I forgot).

"Eva's Reminiscence" has quite a few jazzy chords in use, at around 3:27 it's...jazz.

Portable Ops theme is arranged by him and Honda, it's pretty jazzy too.

The OST that literally has no hint of jazz is MGR's, whether that's to people's taste is another matter.

Bonus: "Don't be afraid" in MGS3 is straight up jazz, however it does not involve Hibino.

I've mentally refreshed my impression of Hibino regardless: he has a particular sound that I'd describe as " sophisticated cool & chilled out".

P.S. I imagine Ghost Babel was a brain fart so I searched out the other MGS games anyway.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Its a shame that we lost the story, but from what i heard the gameplay was crap.
I trust it was for the better.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Okay I did some searching and listening. Firstly, he only co-wrote one track on the MGS4 and PW OSTs.

Secondly, even in MGS3's "Battle In The Base" there are his infusions of jazz (as well as other elements, which is something I forgot).

"Eva's Reminiscence" has quite a few jazzy chords in use, at around 3:27 it's...jazz.

Portable Ops theme is arranged by him and Honda, it's pretty jazzy too.

The OST that literally has no hint of jazz is MGR's, whether that's to people's taste is another matter.

Bonus: "Don't be afraid" in MGS3 is straight up jazz, however it does not involve Hibino.

I've mentally refreshed my impression of Hibino regardless: he has a particular sound that I'd describe as " sophisticated cool & chilled out".

P.S. I imagine Ghost Babel was a brain fart so I searched out the other MGS games anyway.
Hibino and his studio (GEM IMPACT) wrote 90 min of music for MGS4, and was almost not credited.

I was going to mention Eva Reminiscence as jazz. I’ll concede there.
Other songs have elements of jazz in them but they’re not jazz songs. Early Megadeth has jazzy elements too, but I wouldn’t call their works “jazz”.

I’m not talking about ,”What if Hibino and Honda worked on Revengeance”. That soundtrack for MGRR is perfect for its game. In an alternate world where Solid Rising exists, I would have been curious to hear what those 2 composers would have come up with. It might have had jazz. It might have not. Since it was supposed to be a sequel to Raiden’s story after MGS2, it’s plausible. Hibino is a jazz saxophonist, there’s no denying he will implement jazz into his works, but not everything he does is jazz. I think he’s talented enough to know what the game needs.
I don’t know what you mean by calling Ghost Babel’s ost a brain fart. There are some good stuff in there. I think people accused Masahiro Ito the same thing with Survive, believing that because the project is not part of the main franchise that an artist would just “phone it in”. I don’t buy it. You get work judging from your last work.

Metal Gear is right up at the top of my favorite franchises of all time, I played all of the core games and the bulk of the spinoffs like Portable Ops and Ac!d but none of them disappointed me as much as Metal Gear Rising did. Revengeance was a good game in and of itself but it was a terrible idea to make it related to Metal Gear in any capacity.

Metal Gear is a bit insane sometimes but it's very dramatic and has a specific tone to it, Rising just abandoned all of that and became a dumb meme game that didn't express any respect for the Metal Gear franchise outside of the setting. Raiden being a cyborg ninja was cool in MGS4 but it was taken to such an insane degree in Rising that it might as well have just been a different character. I've noticed a lot of people who like Revengeance don't care much for Metal Gear as a franchise.

Speaking of insane and dumb meme games: in MGS it was pretty stupid how I could feed (a half-naked) Liquid a salvo of rockets, beat his ass and toss him off from Rex at a height that should kill or severely incapacitate any man, riddle him with enough bullets in the vehicle chase to make even Neo sweat, only to have him die to a virus I unknowingly carried. Guess MGS was the ultimate fetch quest in a way.

At least MGR respected the player by letting you be the one to land the killing move/s on every boss.

So yea you can keep your Foxdie and we'll keep our nanomachines and HF blades ;)

Hibino and his studio (GEM IMPACT) wrote 90 min of music for MGS4, and was almost not credited.

I was going to mention Eva Reminiscence as jazz. I’ll concede there.
Other songs have elements of jazz in them but they’re not jazz songs. Early Megadeth has jazzy elements too, but I wouldn’t call their works “jazz”.

I’m not talking about ,”What if Hibino and Honda worked on Revengeance”. That soundtrack for MGRR is perfect for its game. In an alternate world where Solid Rising exists, I would have been curious to hear what those 2 composers would have come up with. It might have had jazz. It might have not. Since it was supposed to be a sequel to Raiden’s story after MGS2, it’s plausible. Hibino is a jazz saxophonist, there’s no denying he will implement jazz into his works, but not everything he does is jazz. I think he’s talented enough to know what the game needs.
I don’t know what you mean by calling Ghost Babel’s ost a brain fart. There are some good stuff in there. I think people accused Masahiro Ito the same thing with Survive, believing that because the project is not part of the main franchise that an artist would just “phone it in”. I don’t buy it. You get work judging from your last work.

Okay so, my original statement was "If my impression of hims isn't wrong, he tends to weave some jazz into his music. "

If I had to make it clearer, he "includes jazzy influences in his compositions and arrangements".

I think you understood my original statement as "he tends to put jazz songs in soundtracks he's involved with." which wasn't what I intended.

Yup Hibino has a jazz background and I assume that's partly why he gets hired for particular jobs, to bring that cool jazzy sound he's so good at mixing in.

BTW thanks for that article link, I'll give it a read later.

As for the Ghost Babel "brain fart", it's because the topic was revolving around Hibino. He wasn't involved in GB at all so I had no idea why you brought it up to begin with. Thus I assumed you might have meant one of the other portable MG games which he contributed music to.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Okay so, my original statement was "If my impression of hims isn't wrong, he tends to weave some jazz into his music. "

If I had to make it clearer, he "includes jazzy influences in his compositions and arrangements".

I think you understood my original statement as "he tends to put jazz songs in soundtracks he's involved with." which wasn't what I intended.

Yup Hibino has a jazz background and I assume that's partly why he gets hired for particular jobs, to bring that cool jazzy sound he's so good at mixing in.

BTW thanks for that article link, I'll give it a read later.

As for the Ghost Babel "brain fart", it's because the topic was revolving around Hibino. He wasn't involved in GB at all so I had no idea why you brought it up to begin with. Thus I assumed you might have meant one of the other portable MG games which he contributed music to.

r3QwcbT.png

Ot7jDEL.png

bokqI4L.png

Yes, I agree, he is a jazzy musician.

Oh yea I'd never ask anyone to play lightgun games with analogue sticks unless it was their only way to experience it.

NG2 is flawed in many respects but also quite forward-thinking in many others. I think it's one of the few action games of its type where it tries to give the impression of a huge adventure (like what Daikatana tried to do).

Most such action games take place in relatively compressed locations: majority of NGB took place in the Vigoor Empire, DMC was Mallet Island, DMC3 was the tower, Bayo 2 centralised around the mountain and MGR had most of it taking place in Denver.

Pandora's Tower is almost like a 3D spiritual successor to Castlevania 2 - Belmont's Revenge, especially with its themed towers. The usage of the Wiimote for whipping the chain around might not age well but I'm fairly certain it'd be worth your time and around 20USD (you can probably find it around that price or a bit lower).

Pandora's Tower....my favorite game of all-time; no other game will ever match it in my eyes <3

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Not me. It was only good because other people worked on the game and Kojima was never gonna finish it.

ExpandKong

Banned

That's a bit harsh. As someone who, like you, has played nearly every game with the words Metal Gear on the box, none of them disappointed me quite like Phantom Pain did.

Beyond the quality gameplay, I appreciated Rising for even attempting to continue in a post-MGS4 timeline. Obviously the end of SOP isn't going to be the end of war, so what does that world look like? The mass dissemination of the Patriots' technological research, once kept secret from the world, leading to the proliferation of cyborg soldiers, is something that makes sense in-universe, as does the particulars of MG Excelsus's design philosophy in response to that.

Then you have Raiden's character, which I also feel like makes sense here. At the end of MGS2 he seems to be coming to terms with his past and is hopeful for the future. Then some time between that and MGS4, he regresses hard and becomes emotionally unstable, then gets turned into a literal weapon by the Patriots. Yadda yadda yadda, then Rising happens and it's kind of a reverse MGS2: Raiden comes to terms with what kind of person he is and what kind of life a person with his "unique set of skills" will be able to lead, and decides to live that life on his own terms.

"Fighting was the only thing I was good at. But at least I always fought for what I believed in."

It wasn't perfect, but to me it all gelled nicely with the MGS series proper, and it was a blast to play to boot.

The two (three if you're finicky) MG games Kojima made post-MGS4, meanwhile, were Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain. More interquels in a series that already had one too many.

Were they fun games to play? Sure, they had their moments. But did they add anything of value to the Metal Gear mythos? Did anyone really think it was cool that Snake's dad and Otacon's dad worked together in Nicaragua? Was anyone really moved by the Boss being used as the template for a Metal Gear's AI brain, or Big Boss having to "kill" her yet again? Does knowing that Skullface led a cleanup crew that went in after Naked Snake in Operation Snake Eater and that The End's powers come from parasitic chlorophyl or whatever it was make the overall Metal Gear story better, or does it detract from it? Does the existence of Venom Snake do anything for anybody?

Anyway that's my take on it.

At least when it went to PlatinumGames, the powers that be had the respect to change the name of the game to signify there's gonna be differences in their version of the game compared to the original vision of the game. That way, both versions can co exist...no need to get upset with Revengeance "taking over" Solid: Rising because they're two different projects.

Senator Armstrong (final boss in MGS: Revengence) would beg to differ with some of the opinions voiced in this thread!

Seriously, best boss ever.

e3p9cMO.jpg

Last edited:

Salvatron

After nearly 7 years, youre still sad OP? Might be time to move on... that is, if you're ready. We all have to approach this life with the pace the works for us as individuals, so if you need more time, feel free to continue.

Yes, I agree, he is a jazzy musician.

Thanks for that. I was using vgmdb to go through his discography and it didn't include Ghost Babel (I assume in part because most GB games don't get their OSTs released) so I thought he had nothing to do with it.

Read the article you linked earlier and it's interesting to see him (kind of) throwing shade at Harry and Kojima/Konami, at least that's how I interpreted it.

At the risk of coming off wrong, how do we know what Hibino actually contributed in GB? Since based on the game credits itself we can see that he's one half of a duo.

On a side note, is it even feasible to attempt to imbue jazz elements for Gameboy music? I think the hardware itself poses some strict limitations.

TheBoss1

MGR:R is for people who play games like their on dope lol

Platinum somehow made Twin Snakes and MGS4 seem normal in comparison. It's a good Platinum game, but not a good Metal Gear game at all. The tone is pure silliness and so over the top if you ask me.

Come at me.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Thanks for that. I was using vgmdb to go through his discography and it didn't include Ghost Babel (I assume in part because most GB games don't get their OSTs released) so I thought he had nothing to do with it.

Read the article you linked earlier and it's interesting to see him (kind of) throwing shade at Harry and Kojima/Konami, at least that's how I interpreted it.

At the risk of coming off wrong, how do we know what Hibino actually contributed in GB? Since based on the game credits itself we can see that he's one half of a duo.

On a side note, is it even feasible to attempt to imbue jazz elements for Gameboy music? I think the hardware itself poses some strict limitations.
Some music from GB were versions from songs from MG2 and MG (like Theme of Tara and the Alert music which has a different name depending if you’re playing mg2, mggb, or mgs1vr). That’s Kazuki Muraoka’s stuff.

Alundra
The Immortal
Beyond The Beyond
Eternal Darkness

Wow thanks! Interesting to see that they're all from the generations before PT.

The Immortal has a very particular vibe with that isometric view, I remember playing some PC games from the 90s that use similar perspective (and those chunky pixels).

Eternal Darkness...I should really get to finishing that game some day, heh. I liked what I played and read of it. Sadly it's another game trapped In Nintendo limbo.

Some music from GB were versions from songs from MG2 and MG (like Theme of Tara and the Alert music which has a different name depending if you’re playing mg2, mggb, or mgs1vr). That’s Kazuki Muraoka’s stuff.

It's something like Castlevania where popular themes get rearranged for the game I suppose?

BTW I should add that I did play this game on GBC back in the day but the only music I paid attention to at the time was the MGS theme, if you know what I mean. So it's cool to know that Hibino had a hand in it. I'll have to spend some time going through it on YouTube.

Wow thanks! Interesting to see that they're all from the generations before PT.

The Immortal has a very particular vibe with that isometric view, I remember playing some PC games from the 90s that use similar perspective (and those chunky pixels).

Eternal Darkness...I should really get to finishing that game some day, heh. I liked what I played and read of it. Sadly it's another game trapped In Nintendo limbo.
yup; that's true. I would cry tears of joy for an ED remaster, but i don't want a full remake, unless its just a graphical overhaul. My favorite PC game of all-time is, The Journeyman Project Turbo.

yup; that's true. I would cry tears of joy for an ED remaster, but i don't want a full remake, unless its just a graphical overhaul. My favorite PC game of all-time is, The Journeyman Project Turbo.

I can relate, there are lots of games from that generation that play great but have been forgotten.

I never played any of The Journeyman Project games but I remember reading about them in the PC magazines (those screenshot!) back in the day. Thanks for reminding me of that period :D

One game I remember very fondly on PC around the same era is Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri. Looking Glass Studios was legendary with its output.

Last edited:
Top Bottom