• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm still sad that the original Metal Gear Solid: Rising got cancelled

VulcanRaven

I was so excited when this trailer was released in 2010:

It looked much better than the final game. The graphics were very good and I liked the tone. It looked like an MGS game and I was excited that it was supposed to be set before MGS4. We would see what happened to Raiden after MGS2. I was so disappointed when I saw the first trailer after Platinum Games started making it. The cutscenes were pre-rendered and they made it too over the top. I tried the demo when it was released but it wasn't good so I still haven't played the game. People seem to praise it but it just doesn't look interesting in my opinion. Should I give it a chance?

Last edited:

FranXico

It looked much better than the final game. The graphics were very good and I liked the tone. It looked like MGS game and I was excited that it was supposed to be set before MGS4. We would see what happened to Raiden after MGS2. I was so disappointed when I saw the first trailer after Platinum Games started making it. The cutscenes were pre-rendered and they made it too over the top. I tried the demo when it was released but it wasn't good so I still haven't played the game. People seem to praise but it just doesn't look interesting in my opinion. Should I give it a chance?

It's a different game than something from the MGS series. Worth a try and definitely fun, but don't expect an MGS game out of it.

KOMANI

KOMANI
First game to be running on the Fox Engine.

According to the localization team involved with both Rising and Revengeance, the Metal Gear Solid: Rising story was really great.

I like Regengeance, I hope there’s a sequel one day by platinum and konami, but I too wish we had seen the original Rising released (and the original team on MGS4 for that matter).

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Wait a minute OP hasn’t actually played the game?

Seems really weird to make a thread about how you are sad a game turned out, yet u never played the game.

Give it a shot it’s pretty rad.

If u are upset a game prototype shots look better than the final release then welcome to every video game ever

Sure, it sucks that we never saw the original version of the game, but what Platinum delivered was one of the most memorable character action games of all time that manages to maintain Kojima's trademark absurdity and political intrigue.
I don't remember seeing those before. Konami should use the script and make the game now.

Can you do this in the final game?

If you're talking about the cut mechanic as a whole, then yes it's an important game mechanic that you need to use in many battles (including bosses).
If you're talking about cutting up watermelons specifically, then yes as well.. but it's pointless outside of a trophy/achievement.

Dude, the game is like $5 now. There's no reason not to play it.

VulcanRaven

Seems really weird to make a thread about how you are sad a game turned out, yet u never played the game.

If u are upset a game prototype shots look better than the final release then welcome to every video game ever
I did play the demo and I didn't like it. Also I think this situation is different than what happens to most games. The developer was changed during the development so almost everything changed.

Last edited:

Strider311

As much as I love the ridiculousness of Revengeance, I do wish we got the original story/concept for Rising. While we are at it, I also wish the Metal Gear series wasn’t dead...

Kojima present or otherwise, I’d always welcome more MGS.

Fbh

Wasn't it handed over to Platinum because the original team wasn't able to move past a conceptual level and bring it all together into a fun game?.

It also wouldn't have given us Mariachi Raiden fighting a buff politician so I'm glad we got Revengeance instead.
36e.gif

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yea but the amazing game in the trailer does not exist and would never exist. It's not like they had a 10/10 game they decided to shelve for no reason and start over. That's what happens when games get into development hell.

It looked much better than the final game. The graphics were very good and I liked the tone. It looked like an MGS game and I was excited that it was supposed to be set before MGS4. We would see what happened to Raiden after MGS2. I was so disappointed when I saw the first trailer after Platinum Games started making it. The cutscenes were pre-rendered and they made it too over the top. I tried the demo when it was released but it wasn't good so I still haven't played the game. People seem to praise it but it just doesn't look interesting in my opinion. Should I give it a chance?

Then the vertical slice did its job.

Plenty of people have grandiose visions and ideas for what would make a badass game. Executing it is where reality gets in the way.

Anyway, I enjoyed the 2011 VGA trailer (and most of the later trailers as well) for PG's MGR immensely. Gotta say I'm a huge fan boy of the game.

However, I wouldn't call it a classic action game; it has plenty of niggles that get in the way but what it does well, it does extremely well.

Some of those niggles are a result of the rushed development but I'd rather talk about what we got rather than what might have been.

If anything, I think it's a pity that both games Kenji Saito directed (MGR and Transformers) were presumably on a tight budget and deadline. If I'm not mistaken he's the producer on Astral Chain, would love for him to get the chance that Taura got.

Wasn't it handed over to Platinum because the original team wasn't able to move past a conceptual level and bring it all together into a fun game?.

If I remember the documentary correctly, Kojima left his team to work on it (he wanted them to not be reliant on his direction) and after months they couldn't figure out how to make the game work around Raiden being able to cut everything. Not even sure if PG could make that work.

That was when Kojima approached Inaba and asked if they'd be interested to work on it instead.

As an aside, I don't think any of PG's games has had a final boss fight as exhilarating as MGR's. They even hyped up Transformers by saying they'd try to match MGR's final fight; it was a valiant effort but it wasn't close.

For context I've beaten the final bosses (not including secret bosses) for Bayo 1 and 2, Astral Chain, Vanquish, Transformers, W101...oh and Korra (I enjoyed the combat system BTW).

Perhaps I might change my mind as I revisit all these final fights in the future, but MGR's stands tall and strong.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

The final game is pretty spot on with what’s going on in the trailer so not sure what your beef is . No it’s not a MGS type game but it has its own great unique style.

stranno

It was just a tech showcase. Then you have to implement that crazy dismemberment party into something that makes any sense, gameplay-wise.

Imo PlatinumGames did a pretty fine job with the final game.

Its the story. The Solid Rising story promised to show us how Raiden rescued Sunny and became a Cyborg when he was captured. It was supposed to be a gripping, serious narrative. I must've daydreamed about what it would be like for years. What we got was.. ok. But it wasn't what we all wanted. Its so irritating that the team couldn't let go of the "cut everything" design and that is how it fell apart. How about you can cut tables, doors, wires, and some walls, then let video game logic take over. I'd much rather have minimal cutting and the a great story over what we ended up with. I agree with OP. 10 years later and I'm still salty.

Digity

Its the story. The Solid Rising story promised to show us how Raiden rescued Sunny and became a Cyborg when he was captured. It was supposed to be a gripping, serious narrative. I must've daydreamed about what it would be like for years. What we got was.. ok. But it wasn't what we all wanted. Its so irritating that the team couldn't let go of the "cut everything" design and that is how it fell apart. How about you can cut tables, doors, wires, and some walls, then let video game logic take over. I'd much rather have minimal cutting and the a great story over what we ended up with. I agree with OP. 10 years later and I'm still salty.
Always wanted to experience that part of the story.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic

Eh, I can relate.
I haven't played Arkane's "Prey" cuz I'm too upset about the cancellation of Prey 2 :(

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
What we got was good because it made fun of how dumb Metal Gear was while still being an entertaining story. Still don't understand the people who are bitter over it.

mortal

Gold Member
I pretty much feel the same. I have nothing against Revengance, but Rising was so much more intriguing to me.

I also feel the same about FF Versus XIII to FFXV.

It also wouldn't have given us Mariachi Raiden fighting a buff politician so I'm glad we got Revengeance instead.
36e.gif
You are correct. Kojima strait up said they made the idea of the cutting mechanic, but the dev team they had it on it was unable to make the rest of the gameplay and believing the project could not be completed he had it canceled. Then it was restarted with Platinum Games who had roughly 14 months to develop it IIRC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

KOMANI

KOMANI

If you want some insight on the plot, I suggest looking into the MGS4 Database, since many mgs4 easter eggs and the Database were supposed to promote solid Rising.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I'm still waiting on StarCraft: Ghost and B.C.

I'll say I thought the final product of Rising was a great action game even if it wasn't what was initially shown to the public.

TheBoss1

I'm with you OP. Solid Rising looked way more promising than whatever we got with Revengeance. I'm sure others found the game to be good, but it's just another action game by Platinum skinned with MGS branding. Revengeance makes Twin Snakes ridiculous cutscenes look like child's play.

Javthusiast

Banned
I like Revengeance for some quick fun and memery, but also would have rather prefered to see the full vision of Solid Rising come to life. Too bad it got scrapped.

ExpandKong

Banned
The game we got is better than any other Metal Gear game that’s been released since Snake Eater. Imagine what Platinum could’ve made with an actual normal development timeline and budget.

In a series that was already becoming obnoxiously crowded with stories that filled in gaps that didn’t need filling (and then got even more of those afterwards), I have no interest in the slightest in seeing what KojiPro’s original pre-MGS4 story was. They said all that needed to be said about Raiden becoming a cyborg in MGS4, just like they said all that needed to be said about Big Boss’s heel turn in Snake Eater.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned

36e.gif
Still the worst qte in any game ever. Platinum style where the qte would appear randomly i hate those

Ivory Blood

Seriously, what's with the MGR hate.

The game we got has godtier soundtrack, coherent story, unbelievably cool villains and rival, and maybe the best final boss I've ever had the pleasure to fight in a video game.

I want MGR 2.

The game we got has godtier soundtrack, coherent story, unbelievably cool villains and rival, and maybe the best final boss I've ever had the pleasure to fight in a video game.

I want MGR 2.

I want MGR 2 and an MGR Gaiden with Jetstream Sam as the protagonist, his DLC was such a tease.

SLB1904

Banned
I feel like you're thinking of the insta-kill ones in Bayonetta 1.
No. Bayonetta had the press x to jump in the fallinging buildingsboss fight i guess. And it was insta kill lol
Rising you had to press to buttons to slice the missiles or something like that.
It has been a ling time though but i remember been pissed at it

Edit: nvm missread your post. Yeah the insta kill bayonetta was the worst.
And i loved gow and asuras wraths qte

Last edited:

Digity

I want MGR 2.
Don’t remember any of that stuff being in the game, did they patch in a good game after the fact?

I own the collectors edition :p

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Don’t remember any of that stuff being in the game, did they patch in a good game after the fact?
Me too because I don't remember the soundtrack, the cool villains (is there a rival?) and the final boss.
Of course I remember the shitshow story but that is what you get with Kojima involved.

Said that what put me off from the game is the weak gameplay.

Last edited:
No. Bayonetta had the press x to jump in the fallinging buildingsboss fight i guess. And it was insta kill lol
Rising you had to press to buttons to slice the missiles or something like that.
It has been a ling time though but i remember been pissed at it

IIRC Bayonetta had two QTEs where failure was immediate death and it'd affect your chapter rank, easily the most egregious of flaws in that game.

The QTEs I remember seeing people hate the most in MGR were the stick wiggles when you got stunned.

I don't think you were ever required to use QTEs to slice any missiles, you could activate Blade Mode to do so if you chose to. Heck you could use BM to slice bullets against the Chapter 2 boss if you wanted to.

I do remember two sequences in which you had to Ninja Run along a trail of missiles to get close to your target: Metal Gear Ray in the prologue and the first helicopter fight in Chapter 1.

Edit: nvm missread your post. Yeah the insta kill bayonetta was the worst.
And i loved gow and asuras wraths qte

No worries.

Well, GOW set the standard for QTEs in action games as far as I'm concerned. Slamming the hydra's head around was a jolly good time!

In GOW3 they had the buttons correspond in position on the screen as they would on the controller; X would be on the lower half while O would be on the right side.

I liked what they tried to do in GOW:Ascension where you were sort of playing Punch-Out; you had to evade moves by observing the enemy instead of matching button prompts.

I own Asura's Wrath but have not been motivated to play through it. My impression is they took the epic scale of GOW and tried to one up it in that aspect.

On a side note, if I had to give examples of QTEs I liked, I'd say:

God Hand - Mostly mashing which is 90% player-triggerred and you can mash on all four face buttons (unlike Bayo where you can only mash on the one button representing punch or kick).

I remember it fondly because the speed at which Gene hits corresponds to your mashing, though not in an exact 1 to 1 fashion.

Sometimes there's the counter button which pops up when a demon teleports to your back.

Ninja Gaiden 2 - Obliteration Techniques are essentially QTEs without immersion-breaking prompts and the way they worked in game with the risk/reward factor of dismemberment was clever and perhaps ahead of its time; Doom 2016's Glory Kill system is basically a variation of it, with the main exception being that staggered enemies pose no threats.

There are definitely quite a few other games but I don't recall the details well enough to talk about them right now.

SLB1904

Banned
No worries.

Well, GOW set the standard for QTEs in action games as far as I'm concerned. Slamming the hydra's head around was a jolly good time!

In GOW3 they had the buttons correspond in position on the screen as they would on the controller; X would be on the lower half while O would be on the right side.

I liked what they tried to do in GOW:Ascension where you were sort of playing Punch-Out; you had to evade moves by observing the enemy instead of matching button prompts.

I own Asura's Wrath but have not been motivated to play through it. My impression is they took the epic scale of GOW and tried to one up it in that aspect.

On a side note, if I had to give examples of QTEs I liked, I'd say:

God Hand - Mostly mashing which is 90% player-triggerred and you can mash on all four face buttons (unlike Bayo where you can only mash on the one button representing punch or kick).

I remember it fondly because the speed at which Gene hits corresponds to your mashing, though not in an exact 1 to 1 fashion.

Sometimes there's the counter button which pops up when a demon teleports to your back.

Ninja Gaiden 2 - Obliteration Techniques are essentially QTEs without immersion-breaking prompts and the way they worked in game with the risk/reward factor of dismemberment was clever and perhaps ahead of its time; Doom 2016's Glory Kill system is basically a variation of it, with the main exception being that staggered enemies pose no threats.

There are definitely quite a few other games but I don't recall the details well enough to talk about them right now.
Thats the thing. There is great qte out there but some of them just ruin evrything for everyone.

Nowadays developers will just avoid them

Also on the side note qte must be terrible on keyboard and mouse lol.

Thats the thing. There is great qte out there but some of them just ruin evrything for everyone.

Nowadays developers will just avoid them

Also on the side note qte must be terrible on keyboard and mouse lol.

I'm not sure if developers are actively avoiding the usage of QTEs nowadays but I think ultimately it's a good thing.

I imagine a lot of time and work goes into making a QTE look and play amazing, yet the mechanical payoff for the player is relatively low.

Besides being terrible, I think the people working on the QTEs might be fairly upset if a player attempts them with mouse & keyboard :D

I adore Revengeance, but I'd love for Konami to revisit the original Rising. I heard that one of the reasons it was scrapped was because the PS360 couldn't keep up with the FOX Engine + the ability to cut everything to shreds, well we're now on more powerful hardware, with even more powerful hardware coming next year. Maybe it's time for it to come back.

ExpandKong

Banned

Asura’s Wrath is a delight and one of my favorite games from last gen but you gotta know what you’re getting into: it’s basically an interactive anime (even has those title card things mimicking commercial breaks). I’m not even sure if you can fail the QTE’s or if it’s just an accuracy percentage you get or something. There are some action gameplay bits but they make up like twenty percent of the game or so and they’re not really on the same level as a GOW or DMC or what have you. Great fun though.

Enjay

Banned
Damn this would've been terrible. It would've just been Metal Gear Rising Revengeance with an open world, a worse story, blander characters, bad soundtrack and those horrible blade controls from metal gear solid 2.

Asura’s Wrath is a delight and one of my favorite games from last gen but you gotta know what you’re getting into: it’s basically an interactive anime (even has those title card things mimicking commercial breaks). I’m not even sure if you can fail the QTE’s or if it’s just an accuracy percentage you get or something. There are some action gameplay bits but they make up like twenty percent of the game or so and they’re not really on the same level as a GOW or DMC or what have you. Great fun though.

Damn it, your description is what I've innately known about the game and it's part of why I lack the motivation. I remember the framerate wasn't stellar either and this was on 360.

I did think the artstyle and setting were really good though.

Still, thanks for sharing your experience with me! I might make the effort to go through it soon so that I can keep mental notes on what it did and didn't do well.

Pardon my sidetracking but what other games would you consider your favourites from the previous generation?

Top Bottom