• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm tired

Catphish

I don't want to burden anyone with a phone call, so I'm just gonna drop this here. Apologies in advance.

I'm at the end of it. I can't take the ugliness of humanity anymore.

But of course, I have to take it, because I'm a father of a teenage girl, and I have to be here for her. And live with the guilt I feel for having brought her into this fucking cesspool of a world, nation, culture.

And I'll live my day to day, to day, wondering if this will be the day when shit of the world finally lands on me, or my kid. Hold on to the job, the paycheck, the toys, what's left of the sanity, the facade of being a strong protector, when truly I'm ultimately fucking powerless to do anything about anything.

Watch people be horrible to each other, watch a show, watch a movie, watch GAF, watch my spending, watch the stock market, watch my retirement fund, watch my years peel off the calendar as I watch the thinning ice I skate upon and pray to fucking god it doesn't collapse before I reach the other side.

We are capable of so much, and instead we opt for ... this fucking bullshit.

I'm so goddamned tired.

BigBooper

I appreciate the serenity prayer in times like that. Even if you aren't religious, translate it to yourself and it has wisdom for everyone.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.

Last edited:

Toons

Banned
I don't want to burden anyone with a phone call, so I'm just gonna drop this here. Apologies in advance.

But of course, I have to take it, because I'm a father of a teenage girl, and I have to be here for her. And live with the guilt I feel for having brought her into this fucking cesspool of a world, nation, culture.

And I'll live my day to day, to day, wondering if this will be the day when shit of the world finally lands on me, or my kid. Hold on to the job, the paycheck, the toys, what's left of the sanity, the facade of being a strong protector, when truly I'm ultimately fucking powerless to do anything about anything.

Watch people be horrible to each other, watch a show, watch a movie, watch GAF, watch my spending, watch the stock market, watch my retirement fund, watch my years peel off the calendar as I watch the thinning ice I skate upon and pray to fucking god it doesn't collapse before I reach the other side.

I'm so goddamned tired.

We have to find hope in small things. I think that you'll find a peace you're looking for if you are dedicated to the search. Make most of the time you have now and the people you have now.

Jaybe

I'm so goddamned tired.

Sounds like the start of Trainspotting. : )

I’ve went down the Schopenhauer everything is suffering rabbit hole before but just try to enjoy the time we have for what it is. Thankfully a bit of Epicurus helped.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
You don’t have to take the world as your burden

The Word of Promise® NKJV Audio Bible

Matthew 11:28-30

28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
There is so much JOY out there amidst the ugliness. You just have to be open to it and see it! Yes, there's a metric tonne of crap out there and scariness and danger and all... But I look to my friends and family members who have gone through the ugliest of mankind and still come out the other side seeing the good in the world. I'm one of them!

There's so much good and joy and hope out there... Please keep the faith, brother.

There's probably aliens out there looking in on all this not wanting to make any contact and who can blame them.

The way things are going here right now, ET might want to blow his own head off.

diandra-lyle-dont-come-over-here-please.gif

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Separate yourself from the negativity. Stop watching main stream news. Stop using social media. Focus on things you *enjoy*. Things you find *fun*. I love games, I focus on games. I play the games I enjoy, I chat about them. I rile up mentally ill console warriors because seeing them get pissy is fun.

I used to be like you. I saw psychiatric help. I got medication, and I did the above. It really helps.

kingfey

Banned
The problem is that you are focusing on the ugly part.

2 years ago, I used to follow politics nonstop, and read some of villest thing humans have done.

Turned off the news, picked a hobby, and never went back. Now I am having happy life.

Point is, think of the other side. Live for today, and not for the future. The more you think of the future, the more gloomy you get.

Nydius

Not trying to be snarky or trite but your rant, while I can sympathize, sounds like someone who desperately needs to disconnect, take stock of things that are most important, and seek professional psychiatric help. Otherwise you're just going to keep spiraling out of control until it's too late.

I speak from experience on this...

lefty1117

Gold Member
I feel ya OP. All I can suggest is to disconnect for a bit and search for perspective. We could be living in Ukraine. I'm not saying that the problems we deal with aren't real problems, but sometimes with additional perspective they may not seem as big anymore. Good luck and know that you aren't alone in your feelings.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Smoke a joint, drink a beer, talk a walk in silence.

It's a total mess, but hang in there for yourself and your daughter. Make things great local, and to those you love.

I'm sorry humans suck though. It's true. I'm not religious so I won't preach - just be a good human and help those you love.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Unplug from the internet for a while if your life allows you to. Including this website. Focus on family and fun.

Maybe go on a vacation. And yes there are always going to be tough times in life, but no one ever said life had to be forgiving. Instead of using difficult times as demoralizing, use them as learning moments to strengthen your mind and self, and to better deal with difficult situations in future. You can’t control what life throws at you. But you can control how you respond to it.

Jaybe

Epicurus’ philosophy was focused trying to attain a state of Ataraxia:

“Ataraxia is a Greek term first used in Ancient Greek philosophy by Pyrrho and subsequently Epicurus and the Stoics for a lucid state of robust equanimity characterized by ongoing freedom from distress and worry”

I often listen/watch a core set of videos on Epicurus. Here are two I like in particular. One more of an intro that cuts to the chase. The other, longer one, with more context and provided with comparisons to Stoicism. I find when I’m getting stressed by the external reviewing these and reflecting on the core tenets helps calm my thoughts.

Zeroing

Banned
Move to a different country or take vacations, it seems your problems are related to the stuff that surrounds you. You need to disconnect from what it seems like a very boring routine. Do something different. Be spontaneous. Simple trick, paint the walls on your house, move furniture differently those little things help break the routine but I advise you do think about seeking professional aid. I do not know the inner feelings/background to what are triggering your emotions.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I get it As a father, today was especially tough. It's hard to see pure evil like that and not question everything. And you know, it makes us human to feel and hurt even for those that we don't know.

The key (at least for me) is to not dwell in that moment. Make the world you see a better place. I'm going to feed 100 homeless people. We gotta light this darkness in any way we can.

Kenpachii

Same shit here mate.

Currently busy not trying to lose house, having to deal with a insane sister that burns me financially to the ground + lots more issue's that basically makes your hair go grey overnight that great. absolutely nobody to fall back on because your whole family is dead. Relationship lul what relationship, job is unstable basically as i still need licensing which evolves 3800 pages i got to learn about shit i don't give 2 flying fucks about, unhealthy as fuck. Every fucking day u wake up u wonder why the fuck do i still care.

I need a vacation, sadly if you run your own business, vacation is basically a big fat nope. And from 6 in the morning to 9 in the evening 6 times a day in a week is kinda uff for the next 2 years to get it financial stable.

Must say, the people in the work environments are all friendly tho, so there's that.

Life can be a rough sometimes.

A good thing to focus on in my view is long time goals in order to strafe to something, like a vacation in the future, or some sport goal like want to do this trail with somebody at this time in point and train for it, or get this or that going. That shit helps.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

If you have a garden / yard space of some sort, I can recommend growing your own crops and turning it into a space you can enjoy to reclaim some sanity. Modern life and convenience in general has taken away a lot from us.

Eat well, sleep well, cook good food, grow your own food and take up more hobbies that take you away from the Internet.

Last edited:
focus on the small things of your life. the little joys from day to day. and yeah, as some had suggested, maybe look into cannabis if your state and work allows it. maybe just some edibles on your day off. and maybe find a game that let you just chill and relax. only you will know what really fits your situation. just remember that everything in moderation.

Outlier

In life seemingly almost anything can happen.
The best we can do is push for things to go in our favor more often than not.

Focus on the good YOU can make happen, rather than the bads that can come your way.

Spaceman292

Banned

I'm so goddamned tired.
Have you tried heading down to your local cinema and watching the hit Marvel movie Morbius, starring Jared Leto?

...when truly I'm ultimately fucking powerless to do anything about anything. Watch people be horrible to each other, watch a show, watch a movie, watch GAF, watch my spending, watch the stock market, watch my retirement fund, watch my years peel off the calendar as I watch the thinning ice I skate upon and pray to fucking god it doesn't collapse before I reach the other side...

You don't need to change the whole world for your daughter, just need to be good to her.

That is the one thing where you certainly are not powerless. Let people be horrible to each other, what matters is that you are not one of them and that is entirely up to your own doing. Your daughter doesn't care about the toys, the movies, the stock market, the mortgage or anything else, all that matters is that you treat her with love and respect which doesn't cost anything but your own good will. Everything else follows as sooner or later she'll understand things from your perspective too.

Kids don't need the whole world to look up to, they only need that one good person to be there for them and inspire them. You are far from powerless, be that person and it shall be enough.

Last edited:

Peggies

Gold Member
Me too, OP! Just had a baby, pregnant with number two and thinking, "fuck that shit!".

Fed Up Reaction GIF

If It's not global warming burning us alive it's WW3 or nuclear war or monkey pox or IS or just some random dude shooting your kid at school. I mean when did the world become such a fucking shit show.

And not reading the news shouldn't be necessary to not wanting to kill yourself.

Im Sad Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

///PATRIOT

Banned
Have you considered that you only focus on the bad side of life?

You sound depressed, be a friend to yourself and go to a therapist for your own sake and your daughters

elegantgamer

Neo Member

I'm so goddamned tired.
I'm not sure what country you're from but I'm going to assume America. I'm from America also and while it's not perfect I love this country greatly and what it offers. You're never going to live in a place where everything is the way you want to be but America isn't horrible in fact it's great. I'm a Republican and I don't agree with how the country is going but I remember that I can determine how my house is going to be. A house should be filled with joy and love and you should pass that on to your child also. The reality is that it's not all doom and gloom out there. I'm a new father and I worry about what they're going to witness but I know that with God by my side my love for them I have very little to worry about.

elegantgamer

Neo Member
Me too, OP! Just had a baby, pregnant with number two and thinking, "fuck that shit!".

Fed Up Reaction GIF

If It's not global warming burning us alive it's WW3 or nuclear war or monkey pox or IS or just some random dude shooting your kid at school. I mean when did the world become such a fucking shit show.

And not reading the news shouldn't be necessary to not wanting to kill yourself.

It's important to understand what you should really worry about. Monkeypox isn't one of them neither is climate change. Stop taking the burden of the world on your shoulders. Also understand what's statistically going to happen to you and worry about that. I aint going to stress about the low chance of a school shooting or a random ass virus or climate change that may or may not happen. I'm focused on getting my bills pay, putting food on the table, my day to day survival and my love for child and partner.

Ionian

Fed Up Reaction GIF

Second, sorry never noticed you mentioning but massive congrats! AGAIN!

Have a lot of stuff going on so my brain is turning into an ameoba, just in case I said congrats already.

<3

Sometimes it's about looking at what we have and feel grateful.
Sounds like you have a job, a kid, a home. Are all of you healthy? If so, that's amazing!

Trust me, the world is fucked up. Most of us are living paycheck to paycheck, mortgages, loans, etc...there's climate change affecting all of us, big corporations sucking all this planet for all its worth, will our kids even get to be old one day? There's a pandemic, multiple wars going on...there's a lot that could go much better...I know it. Things can always be better, but they could also be much worse.

That's how i hold on to it all. We're lucky...in the middle of all the misery, we're doing okay. Live each day without thinking that far ahead and pay attention at everything going right around you and enjoy that. Hold on to it.

elegantgamer

Neo Member
Sometimes it's about looking at what we have and feel grateful.
Sounds like you have a job, a kid, a home. Are all of you healthy? If so, that's amazing!

Trust me, the world is fucked up. Most of us are living paycheck to paycheck, mortgages, loans, etc...there's climate change affecting all of us, big corporations sucking all this planet for all its worth, will our kids even get to be old one day? There's a pandemic, multiple wars going on...there's a lot that could go much better...I know it. Things can always be better, but they could also be much worse.

That's how i hold on to it all. We're lucky...in the middle of all the misery, we're doing okay. Live each day without thinking that far ahead and pay attention at everything going right around you and enjoy that. Hold on to it.
I mean how are you truly being affected by climate change? Don't let fear control you. I'm more worried about wars that could affect us quickly. Viruses are a part of the human experience. It's not the first one we've dealt with and not the last one either. Don't let fear control you. Live your life and enjoy it. Getting off social media and the news made me realize that when you live your life it's not that stressful at all and most people don't even care about what we're told to worry about. Life is great honestly if you decide to make it great. Expand your pay by improving yourself.

Top Bottom