• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm working on a free book about every CRPG [Up: Open call for reviews]

EDIT: 100-PAGE PREVIEW IS OUT: https://www.mediafire.com/?66nybfqbxfn3p2g

Ladies and gentlemen, after I've finished working on the RPG Codex's Top 70 cRPGs list some weeks ago, I've decided to undertake another madman's task: to compile a glorious book on cRPGs.

Taking in the results, criticism (and limitations) of the voting, I'll be following the same formula, but expanding it into a full guide book to RPG players:

• More than thrice the content, with over 300 games being reviewed through ~480 pages.
  • No more rankings; the listing will be chronological, starting at 1978 with the first commercial RPG, Beneath Apple Manor, and including all glaring omissions from the RPG Codex list, like Syrim, Diablo II, etc..
  • Longer and passionately written reviews, accompanied by screenshots, curiosities and box arts, that make you want to try out every game.
  • Wider participation, no longer restricted to RPG Codex members alone. If anyone pens me a great game review, it's in.
  • Devs reviews. I want developers to write about their favorite & most influential games. So far many have joined, such as Chris Avellone who wrote about Wasteland, and Tim Cain who wrote about Star Control II. Expect many more, including Indies developers, modders and journalists. (For the old-timers: Scorpia is in!)
  • 100% free, downloadable as a cute .pdf, with bookmarks, hyperlinks and all.
  • Hopefully also available as a paperback, to be sold at cost price.
Here's the project's website: https://crpgbook.wordpress.com/

We were recently featured on Kotaku, Ultima Codex and various other websites.

Currently I am:
- Acting like Nick Fury and recruiting extraordinary gentlemen to write reviews & some articles.

How you can help:
- Suggest games that should be reviewed;
- Suggest interesting content that you think should be in, as well as people that should be contacted (like someone from the Circle of Eight to review Temple of Elemental Evil).
- Bitch and moan about stuff. Every feedback is useful. ;)

If you have any further doubts & suggestions, just post here, PM me, tweet me or e-mail me [at] crpgbook at gmail . com

Finally, here's a preview of one of the pages, written by Shanga at Bear's Pit:

juutfj0.jpg

HoosTrax

Very interesting. The previews look great. Is there a list somewhere of what games will be included?

Edit: Is...is...the Skyrim page in Latin???

Thats very awesome!! From the images it looks like it's off to a great start. I'll be looking forward to it. Keep it up!

Durante

The best of luck with that! I'd love to buy a physical version at some point.

I do hope you have some free time over the next few years ;). I just tried to do something far less ambitious, and only for RPGs released in 2014, and it still was quite a lot of work.

Malio

Amazing! And a very worthwhile effort. I've always considered CRPGs the best, and my absolute favorites.

Keasar

I'd be happy to get a paperback copy of the book when it is finished. If it will be available for us Europeans.

Any plans to get this in hardback?

I know you want to do this book for free but at least charge something so some people can give you even a little bit of money for the digital copy?

I hope you pull through with this OP, your layouts and content look super great! Prince of Qin is an good game to include in your list. It came out in 2002, I posted about it in another thread, here's what it's like:
Prince_of_Qin_Coverart.png

I fucking love this game. It came out in 2002 on PC, I was 11 when my dad got it for me, SO fucking good. Now THIS game is overlooked and underrated; it's even got:

• Randomly-generated loot (like Diablo).
  • Deep storyline with multiple endings!
  • Multiple characters who will join your party, each with their own story.
  • Magic system based on five elements (Fire, Water, Wood, Earth and Metal), which either boost or negate each other (e.g., fire is boosted by wood, but beaten by water).
  • Stats and ITEM DETAILS!
  • Skill trees, you like skill trees? Got 'em.
  • Party-based and class system (up to 5 party members).
  • A full equipment crafting and forging system!
  • Tons of enemy variety.
  • Full day-night cycle.
  • Fucking excellent music.
  • Free-roaming open world, chapter-based storyline with a lot of optional side quests!
All wrapped up in an awesome Eastern setting. One of the best and toughest games I've ever played. It had passable voice acting (super crappy, but it's there), but it has a fantastic storyline (it's based off of a 'what if' scenario, if the ancient Chinese Emperor's heir survived instead of died in real life). This game and Baldur's Gate 2 were my PC RPG staples. Some screenshots:

447636-qin_002.jpg

476069-prince-of-qin-windows-screenshot-because-of-you-these-people.jpg

476074-prince-of-qin-windows-screenshot-every-item-has-detailed-description.jpg

476078-prince-of-qin-windows-screenshot-inventory-window-s.jpg

princeofqin_091202_001-441301.jpg

princeofqin_091202_002.jpg

I'm sorry I can't actually contribute to your book (busy with university work) but just thought I'd throw this game out there.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This needs some more time on the front page. The preview looks great, OP. I'm working on a similar sort of project (albeit, about a completely different topic) myself, so it only seems right that I support this.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Quick question: Did you read Dungeons and Desktops by Matt Barton? I recently finished that and he did a decent job with it, though the book mostly had black and white screenshots and was a bit meandering in its prose.

I hope you pull through with this OP, your layouts and content look super great! Prince of Qin is an good game to include in your list. It came out in 2002, I posted about it in another thread, here's what it's like:

I'm sorry I can't actually contribute to your book (busy with university work) but just thought I'd throw this game out there.

Ive never heard of this and this looks awesome

z1ggy

This would be amazing if you can finish it. Good luck with it. We are close to another cRPG golden era.

No more rankings; the listing will be chronological

I definitely approve of this. Such a book will be informational to most (including me). I like that it will progress through time, adding a sense of change and evolution over time. We do this with history, so why not CRPGs? Sounds good to me.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Nice layout and it's quite the undertaking. Would love to get a copy when you have finished it.

Good Luck!

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Definitely consider looking into publishing this on Createspace, which you can sell through Amazon. I did the same for a very large book on point and click adventure games three years ago, and it's done fairly well. The downside is that it will need to be in black and white if you want to be anywhere remotely affordable, but it's an okay tradeoff. If you need any help with the logistics feel free to PM me.

Also, my advice is: don't make it free. Things like this take a lot of work and you deserve to be compensated for your efforts. Making it free devalues the work you put into it. Many (though not all) in my book were republished from my website, but there was still a substantial amount of content only in the book. You can always sell digital versions standalone or on Amazon for a few bucks.

Toxi

Banned
This is awesome. The layout looks nice and including fan translations is a great idea. I also like how frank you are at the beginning.

Hope you can get it published, I'd love to buy a paperback.

Listonosh

Oh man, I'm very interested in this project. I'd be interested in a physical copy of this whenever this huge undertaking is done.

I'll be keeping a watch on this.

Arulan

This is an ambitious project. Good luck!

I will be buying a physical copy for sure. You won't have to worry about screenshot restrictions as much this time. ;)

Top Bottom