• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm working on a free book about every CRPG [Up: Open call for reviews]

Hey guys (and gals), this week is summer holiday here in Japan, so I'm trying to edit & finish as many reviews as I can.

If anyone promised a review or wants to submit one, now it's an excellent time to do so!

Here's the list of game reviews we need.

And if you need to talk about anything, post here or email us at crpgbook at gmail.com

Cheers! :)

Since I still can't make a new thread, I'd like to kindly ask anyone still following this to give me a hand and create a new thread with the following text:

So, I was meditating on how modern gamers (and journos) often won't understand what makes older & more obscure games special…

I.e., Waypoint wrote an article on how some people prefer Morrowind over Skyrim, but since the writer clearly isn't into MW himself, he failed to convey just WHY people actually prefer Morrowind. Sure, he talks about the streamlining and unique landscape but that's like 1% of its charm.

Similarly, Gamespot made some months ago an Elder Scrolls retrospective, and the author - who admits first playing Oblivion - clearly had no idea why people liked (and still like!) Daggerfall. Seriously, he didn't even MENTION its dungeons or character creation!

Sadly, this will only get more common, and people lose track of gaming's ever-expanding history and rely more and more on hearsay.

So here's a different idea:

Write (briefly) memorable RPG moments / experiences that everyone should try once. It doesn't even matter if the rest of the game is shit - if there's one moment you think that redeems it, then write about it (avoiding spoilers as possible).

For example:

NWN2: The Maimed God's Saga: A role-playing heavy module based around Clerics and their faith, where choices are based on memorized spells and combat is rare & meaningful.

Fallout 1: Explore The Glow, one of the most unique and tense dungeons in any RPG.

Escape from Hell: recruiting Hitler into your party by presenting him with your copy of Mein Kampf.

Might & Magic VI: Side with evil, follow an entirely different storyline and transform you mage into a Lich!

Daggerfall: Create unique characters bending the game's rules and venture into massive, twisted dungeons without ever knowing if you'll find the way out again.

Anyone interested can do it for any RPG (even if other already did it). If this gets enough traction I'll probably compile a handy list and even include it in the CRPG Book.

I've began threads on this at the RPG Codex and the RPG Watch, and they are very interesting reads.

Don't wanna lose the NeoGAF replies just because I can't make a new thread. :)

NEW VERSION IS OUT!

The 5th release of the book is finally here, now with 450 pages, over 250 RPGs, hyperlinks, bookmarks, the origin of JRPGs and a 1975-2015 timeline on the video game industry:

ElZ4J1I.png

Grab it here: https://crpgbook.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/crpg-book-preview-5.pdf

Zabojnik

Damn, totally forgot about this. When can we expect the release of the physical version? Any plans / dates yet? I'm there day 1.

When can we expect the release of the physical version? Any plans / dates yet? I'm there day 1.
Wanna do it this year still, but it's really hard to say...still need about 30 reviews to finish the book, but the pace of contributions has come to nearly a halt... I'm getting like 3-4 a month, at most. :(

I'll finish the book no matter what, even if I need to write all the remaining ones myself, but it may take a while...

Grimmrobe

Wow, this is really cool. I can't believe I hadn't stumbled into it before.

I will definitely be buying the physical edition when it's out.

Cato

Banned
Count me in. I will buy a hard-copy as well. Don't cut corners. Make it the best quality possible. Even if it pushes the price higher.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Saw this today in my email, awesome outcome. Bitmap Bros books are some of the best in the industry. Loved their NES and Super NES books.

Lucumo

After the first batch basically sold out immediately thanks to pre-orders, they reprinted the standard edition. Get it while it's still hot and available.

Lucumo

Quoting my reply from four years ago, since it's a whole new GAF now:
The .pdf is completely free though. The book is only for people who want a physical copy and everything that comes out as profit (which isn't much, considering it's 500+ pages and color for 30 Pounds) goes towards Vocação charity, as mentioned on the page:

In line with the project's non-profit nature, all of the author's profit will be donated to the Vocação charity in Brazil, where the books author, Felipe Pepe comes from. Vocação helps kids and teenagers from poor areas to get education and employment, who then go on to help others around them to do the same, changing the community for the better.

The CRPG Addict is mentioned under "Further Reading" by the way.

The PDF looks fantastic, so the physical book must be gorgeous.

I want to learn more about the history of videogames and play some of the oldies (especially RPGs) myself but I was feeling unsure about where to start. This book is going to help me so much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom