• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Imagine if the SNES CD really released...because with MSU1 support in FPGA...it kind of just did

VGEsoterica

Sure MSU1 support isn't inherently a new creation in FPGA but when you take a fully recreated SNES in FPGA that is as accurate as real hardware...then you add in the imaginary MSU1 chip in FPGA to support the SNES core...you get SNES hardware that can play FMV cutscenes and "cd spooled" spooled audio...all with an addressable game size of GIGABYTES.

so basically...the entire concept of the SNES CD that went on to get cancelled and pivoted to PS1. Sometimes retro gaming feels like nothing short of magic

But I want to know GAF...what games would you have wanted on SNES CD? Now that it "kinda" exists

I would probably equate this more to a PC Engine CD than PSX, but yeah I get what you mean. I'd imagine most of that game library would either have been ported or released on the SNES CD instead, minus all the lewd games lol

I'd really be interested to see what SNES "FMV" would look like. The PC Engine CD has such a perfect color palette that the pseudo FMV animation that is used in games looks absolutely incredible on a CRT, like 90s anime perfection imho. The SNES also has nice bright color display capabilities so it would be really cool to see what its take on that would be. The SNES does have enough colors that true FMV probably wouldn't look too terrible (certainly better than the SEGA CD), but it would have been nice if they went with the PC Engine approach.

VGEsoterica

I would probably equate this more to a PC Engine CD than PSX, but yeah I get what you mean. I'd imagine most of that game library would either have been ported or released on the SNES CD instead, minus all the lewd games lol

I'd really be interested to see what SNES "FMV" would look like. The PC Engine CD has such a perfect color palette that the pseudo FMV animation that is used in games looks absolutely incredible on a CRT, like 90s anime perfection imho. The SNES also has nice bright color display capabilities so it would be really cool to see what its take on that would be. The SNES does have enough colors that true FMV probably wouldn't look too terrible (certainly better than the SEGA CD), but it would have been nice if they went with the PC Engine approach.
I mean anything would have better FMV than Sega CD lol

Spukc

I use this on my SD2SNES flashcart from krikzz

At first i loved it.
But you also lose a lot..nostalgia still great for another playthrough if you must.

That one FMV game where you drive a car is bat shit crazy tho

VGEsoterica

I use this on my SD2SNES flashcart from krikzz

At first i loved it.
But you also lose a lot..nostalgia still great for another playthrough if you must.

That one FMV game where you drive a car is bat shit crazy tho
Super Road Blaster...yeah that feels like an impossible scenario but it works!

Naked Lunch

Chrono Trigger and the Pokemon games thru Super Gameboy are the best of the MSU-1 lot from what ive tried.
Pokemon with the fully orchestrated anime and movie soundtracks is just too cool.
I plan on trying the SNES Ys games with MSU-1.

Though - most of them youre better off just using the original soundtracks.
Some MSU-1 versions are straight up terrible like the Metroid ones.

But yeah its like the PC Engine CD version of SNES - very neat.

Last edited:

Spukc

Chrono Trigger and the Pokemon games thru Super Gameboy are the best of the MSU-1 lot from what ive tried.
Pokemon with the fully orchestrated anime and movie soundtracks is just too cool.
I plan on trying the SNES Ys games with MSU-1.

Though - most of them youre better off just using the original soundtracks.
Some MSU-1 versions are straight up terrible like the Metroid ones.

But yeah its like the PC Engine CD version of SNES - very neat.
Bruh it works with SGB? i need to try this

Drell

I mean anything would have better FMV than Sega CD lol
The only problem is that the MSU1 solution uses SD card which is very fast. The real SNES CD would have had to deal with probably a single speed (maybe double) CD drive, meaning FMVs would have to make more compromise than what we have here, like a lower resolution and a worst framerate probably. Then the SNES can display full 256 colors in mode 7 meaning it would still look better than Sega CD but not that much actually.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Honestly I’m much more interested in the SA-1 hacks being made for SNES games than plugging red book audio into games. I love the SNES chip so replacing it with…honestly mostly trashy renditions doesn’t do anything for me.

Check this guy’s feed out:

AJUMP23

We had the CD-I.

zelda know GIF

A.Romero

Are better arcade ports something within the reach of this? I'm imagining a true SSF2 port or even Alpha.

What about Star Fox with English voices instead of Lylat?

Naked Lunch

Bruh it works with SGB? i need to try this
The newest experiment firmware for FKPak Pro - SD2SNES has Super Gameboy support.
Both SGB 1 and 2.
Give it a shot - really cool.

edit: It also finally has save states for SNES games as well.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Are better arcade ports something within the reach of this? I'm imagining a true SSF2 port or even Alpha.

What about Star Fox with English voices instead of Lylat?

It didn't actually make the console more powerful. But the Star Fox would be possible.

I'm glad it didn't happen. Midi sound is the perfect fit for fourth generation video game systems.
No way man. Games like Final Fight CD, Sonic CD, and Lunar 1&2 had some absolutely phenomenal soundtracks. Some of the best of that era. Would’ve been amazing to see what some of the greats like Nobuo Uematsu or Yasunori Mitsuda would’ve done with redbook audio in the early 90s

VGEsoterica

No way man. Games like Final Fight CD, Sonic CD, and Lunar 1&2 had some absolutely phenomenal soundtracks. Some of the best of that era. Would’ve been amazing to see what some of the greats like Nobuo Uematsu or Yasunori Mitsuda would’ve done with redbook audio in the early 90s
MIDI is great but so is redbook. All fun

Top Bottom