• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Imagining a Netherrealm horror fighting game

Injustice 2 is out and is pretty amazing, and it got me thinking about what's next for Netherrealm.

I believe the horror fighting game is not so far out of the question despite the rights issues. I even made this helpful image guide :)
Jnr6sFC.jpg

WB has a fair amount of horror properties in house to use for almost free

1. Beetlejuice
2. Freddy
3. Pennywise
4. Pazuzu (The Exorcist)
5. Martians (Mars Attacks)

They worked with Lionsgate, Fox and Paramount for the guest characters in MKX. From those successful deals maybe they can leverage more if the studios were satisfied before.

6. Herbert West (Re-Animator) / Lionsgate
7. Leatherface / Lionsgate
8. Jigsaw / Lionsgate
9. Jason / Paramount
10. Samara (The Ring) / Paramount
11. T-800 / Paramount
12. Sarah Connor / Paramount
13. Xenomorph / Fox
14. Predator / Fox
15. Ripley / Fox
16. "Dutch" Schaefer / Fox
17. Lord of Darkness (Legend) / Fox
18. Buffy / Fox

Even those 4 studios is a filled out roster that, although complicated legally, might be obtainable. To stretch even further, Sony could make a deal and the struggling Dimension Films could as well.

19. Ash / Sony
20. Evil Ash / Sony
21. Candyman / Sony
22. Michael Myers / Dimension
23. Ghostface / Dimension
24. Pinhead / Dimension

And for fun throw in some independents who honestly should be asking for attention for their old characters.

25. Djinn (Wishmaster) / Artisan Ent.
26. Sil (Species) / MGM
27. Pumpkinhead / MPCA
28. Toxic Avenger / Troma

To further my point, Netherrealm already experimented with the movie concept in MKX beyond the characters: the Carl Weathers skin was using likeness rights not just character licensing. That means getting the real actors to portray characters hypothetically.

Based off Injustice 2's production values, WB has the money to pull this off.

Obviously I'm greatly simplifying intellectual property rights to be on the studio level but I just wanted to make a point that it could be possible. Thanks

hatchx

Banned
zzzzzz...

The MK characters and lore is so much more interesting than horror movies.

I strongly disagree.

And as someone who is a big horror fan, I'd be all over this idea OP. I don't care much for Mortal Kombat or DC heroes, but Freddy, Jason, Chuckie, and a number of classic horror icons fighting in classic iconic settings? Day fucking one. Day fucking one.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The final boss should just be the blob and its totally unbeatable and just fills the entire screen and kills you.

zzzzzz...

Yeah I agree. I was thinking last night about what a third franchise for them could be because I think the MK to Injustice to MK cycle is kind of boring

I wish they made WWE immortals a console game even though the appeal for that is admittedly very limited

They should make a fighting game with the first twenty presidents

vg260

This is really want I want them to do next, if only for variety.

Eddie from Iron Maiden as a guest character.

I'd almost be more interested in a horror fighter without licenses

Use public domain classic monsters and make stuff inspired by movies/series but it's all in a unified style

Fill it with gore, I'd be jazzed and way more interested than another MK

TheSun

I'm down, I'll main Ring girl.

Hope they pull from Hammer Horror. Love those classic guys.
Should be fun coming up with a move-set from the more unorthodox characters.
Like could they do with Norman Bates, could they make it work?

He's already got his turn. It's Johnny Cage's turn.

Excellent choice, as the actor he is, he would fit perfectly having movie banter with horror characters. Like "oh is this the part where I'm supposed to scream."

We also need a Tim Burton guest star if this would happen.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
this would be terrific

i'd want the story to move through a lot of horror tropes

no buffy would be a nonstarter

Actually, this needs to star Johnny Cage and Jax, and Jax's arcade story is just him trying to fight the "token black man dies first" trope.

I'd almost be more interested in a horror fighter without licenses

Use public domain classic monsters and make stuff inspired by movies/series but it's all in a unified style

Fill it with gore, I'd be jazzed and way more interested than another MK
That was made a long time ago and it was called Darkstalkers.

That was made a long time ago and it was called Darkstalkers.
Well yeah, but that's nothing like what Netherrealm has been doing

A more "realistic" MK style game in that vein I think would have a far better chance than anime-ish horror

Call it Immortal Kombat or something lol

jon bones

But how would they make a terrible story mode that casuals love?

each 4-battle chapter would bounce through the horror tropes of the playable character

it would be super dope, and i'd pay good money for additional story dlc for more horror movie monsters

hell do a deal with Universal as they spool up their Monster Universe

I wrote that up too but its too embarassing so I wont post it

i far prefer being considered a 'casual' than a 'gamer'

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
zzzzzz...

With the notable exception of Predator who was executed flawlessly, I agree.

Jason, Freddy, Leatherface all were terrible to look at and play as. Not to mention their inclusion felt completely forced. An NRS horror fighting game would be like expanding the worst things they've done.

zzzzzz...

One of the craziest things I've ever read on here. But whatever to each his own I guess.

To the OP, no way it would ever happen. Too many different licenses and studios and rights holders would need to be involved to get a decent roster. IMO there are certain characters that would NEED to be present in a horror game like that, those are the big names(see terrordrome) but for example Jason, Myers, Freddy, Chucky, Leatherface, Pinhead, Ash etc.
If one of those were missing the fan base that would be the audience for this game would probably be pretty unhappy about it, and I can't imagine all of those licenses coming together.

jon bones

Agreed. I like playing fighters but don't take them as seriously as most. They're good for unwinding.

that's how i see them as well -

start with a fun b-story to get to know the characters
give me currency or something that unlocks when playing 1vcpu games
play randoms, unlock skins and stages

that loop is far more fun to me in 2017 than spending a ton of time practicing

wildfire

Banned
I'm far les interested in Netherrealm in making another fighting game and more interested in them making an RPG, either a traditional Action RPG or a beat em up that has RPG elements would be ideal.

The Mortal Kombat universe deserves being expanded on.

Top Bottom