• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Imitations" of great games that you preferred to the originator?

Tain

If Alien Soldier is Treasure's attempt at revisiting Gunstar Heroes' success, they fuckin' demolished it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Tain said:
If Alien Soldier is Treasure's attempt at revisiting Gunstar Heroes' success, they fuckin' demolished it.
I don't know if those are directly comparable. I mean, sure, they're both run-and-guns, but they don't really do the same things.

I prefer AS as well though.

Alphahawk

When I was younger I always thought DKC was a much better game than Super Mario World. I don't know how that statement would stack up today but I'd guess it'd still be pretty valid.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Alphahawk said:
When I was younger I always thought DKC was a much better game than Super Mario World. I don't know how that statement would stack up today but I'd guess it'd still be pretty valid.
I always thought that SMW was pretty weak as far as 2D Mario goes. I think I might prefer all 4 NES Marios to it.

Kujo

When I was younger I always thought DKC was a much better game than Super Mario World.
DKC2 is pretty much better than anything.

I always thought that SMW was pretty weak as far as 2D Mario goes.
SMW is fantastic, at least better than SMB1 IMO.

StuBurns

Banned
Can you count BioShock a SS2 imitator? I know it's the same people, but not the same IP. Anyway, I preferred BioShock.

Final Fantasy is way the fuck better than DQ too.

TheFallen

These seem to be very loose 'imitations' don't you think? I don't see how Dark Sector is an imitation of Gears of War. One would think it'd be of Resident Evil 4. And Uncharted an imitation of Gears? C'mon, the only thing they share is the stop and pop with cover. It's more or less an evolution of Tomb Raider without being an 'imitation'.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Well if someone calls KOF imitation i would say that KOF is far better than his originator

StuBurns

Banned
Call of Duty is better than Medal of Honor too, kind of the same thing as GH vs RB and SS2 vs BS, same developers, different IP.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I preferred a bunch of the Doomlikes to Doom itself. Dark Forces, Duke Nukem 3D (and most of the build engine games), and some others.

I've seen this one at least once or twice already. But I'd put in another vote for Beyond Good and Evil being a good step better than the 3D Zelda games. Not saying that I didn't enjoy the 3D Zeldas, but BG&E took the same basic template in a much more interesting and original direction.

Dali

Alphahawk said:
This,
and
also

This.

Really most any tripple A platform game was pretty much better than Mario 64 though. That game is the definition of overrated.
Uhhh... it was groundbreaking. Its use of the analog stick and successful transitioning of platforming to 3D was something completely new to console gamers. The graphics were also the best of almost any console game at the time. The only thing that was comparable gameplay-wise was Tomb Raider. Of course later games, like the Spyro and Banjo you seem to think are so great, would possibly be incrementally better! They were building on Mario 64's groundwork.

A genre redefining game the "definition of overrated"? smh

Zeliard

I wish I could say Rise of the Triad since the game is so amazingly underappreciated, but Doom is just way too fucking good, to this day.

KevinCow

Banned
The DKC games > 2D Mario

Jak & Daxter 1 > Banjo-Kazooie

Also, I agree with the OP on Dark Sector compared to Gears, at least as a single player game. The guns felt nicer, enemies weren't giant meat sponges that didn't remotely react to getting shot, and the boomerang thing was pretty badass.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Saint's Row 2 > GTA4
Crash Team Racing > Mario Kart
Yakuza > Shenmue

saggy monkey said:
God of War > Devil May Cry
ಠ_ಠ
KevinCow said:
Jak & Daxter 1 > Banjo-Kazooie

oh, I forgot PS2 platformers entirely... Jak 1 and Vexx are pretty conventional platformers that I really enjoy far beyond any 3D Mario or Banjo game.

Top Bottom