• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Imitations" of great games that you preferred to the originator?

KevinCow said:
The DKC games > 2D Mario

Jak & Daxter 1 > Banjo-Kazooie

Also, I agree with the OP on Dark Sector compared to Gears, at least as a single player game. The guns felt nicer, enemies weren't giant meat sponges that didn't remotely react to getting shot, and the boomerang thing was pretty badass.

You need to be more subtle. No-one is going to believe you could actually think such a thing.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Kind of obscure, but I always liked Jaleco's Whomp 'Em on the NES more than the "real" Mega Man games. And I'm assuming all these Banjo > Mario people never played Sucker Punch's Rocket: Robot on Wheels, since even today, that's the best 3D platformer ever.

Alphahawk

Dali said:
Uhhh... it was groundbreaking. Its use of the analog stick and successful transitioning of platforming to 3D was something completely new to console gamers. The graphics were also the best of almost any console game at the time. The only thing that was comparable gameplay-wise was Tomb Raider. Of course later games, like the Spyro and Banjo you seem to think are so great, would possibly be incrementally better! They were building on Mario 64's groundwork.

A genre redefining game the "definition of overrated"? smh

Don't get me wrong, the game was groundbreaking and everything, but looking back on the game can it really compete with other games even on the same system? The answer is no, the first time I went underwater in Banjo Kazooie, and a breath meter popped up (as opposed to simply draining your health) combined with the first time I entered Grunty's Castle, I knew 64's time was over. The game paved the way and for that gamers should be ever grateful, but the game has aged poorly, and it's time as gamers we get off our high horses and recognize that.

KevinCow

Banned
freethought said:
You need to be more subtle. No-one is going to believe you could actually think such a thing.

I do think such a thing. I think the DKC games, or at least 2 and 3, have far more interesting and memorable levels than the Mario games.

Alphahawk said:
The game paved the way

for collecting, minigames, and "character" to overshadow actual platforming. The fact that BK was taken as the model for most subsequent platformers is one of the worst things that ever happened to the genre.

StuBurns

Banned
Calcaneus said:
It may not be the better game, but it does take the actual stealth gameplay and improves on it.
I meant that not only isn't it better, but more importantly, it's in no way an imitator. It's like saying Forza imitated Mario Kart. Metal Gear is (or more accurately, was at the time) more a puzzle game than it is a stealth simulator.

jergrah

stuburns said:
Ridiculous on so many levels.

:) I love both series -- but if I could only have one, it would be Splinter Cell. Chaos Theory is one of my favorite games of all time.

stuburns said:
I meant that not only isn't it better, but more importantly, it's in no way an imitator. It's like saying Forza imitated Mario Kart. Metal Gear is (or more accurately, was at the time) more a puzzle game than it is a stealth simulator.

Didnt see that before -- I get what you are saying, but people naturally compare them. Even Kojima had a Fisher character in one of his MGS4 trailers a few years back - kind of poking fun at the competition.

KevinCow

Banned
stuburns said:
I meant that not only isn't it better

No, Splinter Cell is quite a bit better than Metal Gear.

I mean for a start, the people who made it actually realized they were making a game and not a movie.

Esch

Banned
KevinCow said:

I mean for a start, the people who made it actually realized they were making a game and not a movie.

I always think it reflects quite kindly on Metal Gear that it's haters can only come up with a complaint like this.

KevinCow said:

SCATHING

Splinter Cell just barely feels like a game in the same genre as Metal Gear, anyway. It was Thief that begat Splinter Cell.

Calcaneus

KevinCow said:

Hey, I pull the "MGS, nice movie" card all the time, but there is quite a bit of game in that series. In fact 4 is probably the only game where I felt the story began to suffocate the gameplay.

StuBurns

Banned
jergrah said:
Didnt see that before -- I get what you are saying, but people naturally compare them. Even Kojima had a Fisher character in one of his MGS4 trailers a few years back - kind of poking fun at the competition.
I just don't get the comparison. Kojima featuring the character is just a joke because they are often mentioned in the same breath, doesn't mean much. In MGS3 he mentions Fisher and the Syphon Filter guy, and the guy from that N64 assy action game that people compared to MGS at the time is a solider in MGS2.

I think calling SC a imitator if anything is doing the series a disservice.

Alphahawk said:
Don't get me wrong, the game was groundbreaking and everything, but looking back on the game can it really compete with other games even on the same system? The answer is no

LoL. You can prefer any game you like but Banjo and its ilk couldn't hold a candle to Mario 64 in terms of jumping mechanics and freedom of movement. Besides BK and such catered more towards the adventure genre while 64 remained a pure platformer. Different directions and such and such.

My pick btw is Landstalker. Totally blew Solstice out of the water in every respect.

KevinCow

Banned
EschatonDX said:
I always think it reflects quite kindly on Metal Gear that it's haters can only come up with a complaint like this.

Heh. I have far bigger issues with the series, believe me. It's just useless to point them out, because MGS fans are completely blind to them and will argue to the death that the games are perfect in every way, and rational gamers can already see the flaws clear as day.

StuBurns

Banned
KevinCow said:
Heh. I have far bigger issues with the series, believe me. It's just useless to point them out, because MGS fans are completely blind to them and will argue to the death that the games are perfect in every way, and rational gamers can already see the flaws clear as day.
I am well aware of Metal Gear's flaws, I just don't think Splinter Cell is even remotely similar.

Aeana

tokkun said:
I was going to say FF Tactics > Tactics Ogre

FF Tactics is much more of an imitator of TO than TO is of FE or SF.
Is it really an imitator if it's made by the exact same people?

EschatonDX said:

You want a non-"It's like a movie" complain? Try this on for size. With the MGS series it's like they introduce all of these creative sub-systems and additional gameplay elements but if you want to achieve the highest possible rating you have to ignore all of that shit and simply run past everyone. Take the camouflage system in MGS3 for example. You can either sit around fiddling with the proper combination of camos to create that perfect sneaking attire for the current environment or you can just watch every soldier's pattern of movement and slip past...like every other game in the series(I won't comment on MGS4 cause I haven't played it). At least with the Silent Hills the developers expect you to be able to master combat as well as evasion & speed in order to achieve the best rankings, giving an incentive to master the gameplay beyond memorizing the answers to all of the puzzles.

That said I love MGS2 Subtance and MGS1 VR missions because the core gameplay is still quite exceptional, even if it tends to gear towards a more "arcadey" style of stealth gameplay(which could be considered another knock by non-fans of the series).

Gagaman

I prefer Streets of Rage over Final Fight. The music alone excels it beyond the original for me, as great as FF was.

MGrant

Monkey Island > All of Sierra's early adventure games.

Also, people putting Banjo above Mario 64 should really re-examine those games. They're really, really dissimilar. There's very little actual platforming in BK, for one thing.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Night_Trekker said:
That's just ignorant. The two series have nothing in common aside from some similar-looking character designs.
I was thinking of writing 'shitmue', but I think would have been too obvious then.

Arnie

Uncharted > Tomb Raider
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory >> Any MGS (In terms of stealth gameplay)
Forza 2 >>> GT5P

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
""Imitations" Of Great Games That You Preferred to the Originator" >>> "Games You Hate That Other People Love"

IMO

Top Bottom