• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Imitations" of great games that you preferred to the originator?

SpacLock said:
Dead Space is better than RE4 and 5 combined.

No third person camera but RE1 and 2 put all three of those games to shame. What about RE versus Alone in the Dark? Never played AITD myself.

I loved Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie and DK64 for the same (and yet different in some cases) reasons and I really couldn't pick a favourite. <3

I don't think it counts as an imitation but: Perfect Dark>>>>>>>>>>Goldeneye, imo. :)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
godhandiscen said:
People call WAR and imitation of WoW. I like WAR much better due to the PvP.
And they would be wrong. WAR is DaoC with a shiny new IP attached, an guess what, DaoC is older than WoW.

As for the art style, setting and everything else people mistakenly call WAR an imitator of WoW... Don't make me post the PA comic.

Anyway, I've been reading through this thread and been shouting "NO NO NO" at half of the posts, it's getting ridiculous. Guys, being in the same genre DOES NOT MAKE A GAME AN IMITATION!!! On that note, the next person to say Uncharted > Tomb Raider gets a free lobotomy.

Anyway, my choice? Quake 4 > Doom 3, Quake 4 was made by Raven and managed to make a much better corridor shooter than id did this gen, and they managed to make a new chapter in the Quake story, where-as id could only retcon the story from Doom, bravo Raven.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Kobun Heat said:
Ninja Gaiden > Castlevania

what

Ohhhhhhh man good call. Ninja Gaiden was SUCH a rip, they weren't even trying to hide it. Castlevania has better enemies I think, but NG was just too much damn fun to play.

Slavik81

cartman414 said:
No comparison there. But then, Super Mario Kart was still miles better
Naw. The first Mario Kart I played was Super Mario Kart, and it was good, but Mario Kart 64 was leagues better. Block Fort was so awesome.

Still, it's a shame the feather didn't make it's way over.

DieNgamers said:
Actually I know some more people who say the same. I love both games. :)

I don't agree with that, Mario 64 is my favorite 3d platformer (and Rayman 2 is second), but DK64 is my favorite of Rare's 3d platformers, for sure... they're all great games, but DK64 is the best. And aside from Mario 64 and Rayman, it is one of the best in the genre for sure.

AlternativeUlster said:
I liked Croc more than Super Mario 64.

Croc was a lot of fun too. I just didn't like judging jumping distance, sometimes it was quite frustrating...

AKS

idahoblue said:
Maybe Uncharted > TR? I know they're not really the same, but I'd say TR inspired Uncharted a bit.

I saw much more influences from Gears, Resident Evil 4, and Prince of Persia in Uncharted than Tomb Raider. I think Indiana Jones films had far more influence on Uncharted than Tomb Raider.

Top Bottom