• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Imitations" of great games that you preferred to the originator?

soultron

Banned
So, I just dropped $10 on Dark Sector today, and though it rips a tonne of mechanics from Gears of War (roadie run, cover system, etc.) I have to say that I'm actually enjoying it more than GOW/GOW2. There's a lot of variety to the locations and the game play, since new powers are doled out to you every so often. Environmental puzzles using water, fire, electricity, gas, etc. are pretty neat. It's just too bad that the story's shit and hard to follow.

If the two games were mashed into one, it'd basically be too much awesome to handle. (I think my enjoyment comes also from the fact that it was only $10 brand new. Get this game.)

So, GAF, what are some instances where you preferred the imitators that tried to follow in the footsteps of their gaming forefathers?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Gouty said:
And what game specifically is God of War a copy of?
Dynasty Warriors!

Allot say its a GoW Rip, might as well be. Conan. Didn't have the production budget, but the gameplay was surprisingly good.

alistairw said:
Saints Row 2 >>>>>>> GTA IV

Before I entered this thread, I assumed that this was going to be the subject of the OP. I'm on this team though. Catch me in the right mood, and I'd also argue for Okami/BG&E over Zelda too...

soultron

Banned
alistairw said:
I have to agree with this one too. For some reason, the terrible humour of SR bit me moreso than GTA's serious tones that mixed the clever satire.

It bums me out that I dropped $70 on GTA4 when it first came out and still haven't finished it. I found SR didn't take itself seriously, knew its entire take of the gang banger lifestyle was terrible, and it just ran with both of those points.

Haven't played SR2 yet.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
soultron said:
I have to agree with this one too. For some reason, the terrible humour of SR bit me moreso than GTA's serious tones that mixed the clever satire.

It bums me out that I dropped $70 on GTA4 when it first came out and still haven't finished it. I found SR didn't take itself seriously, knew its entire take of the gang banger lifestyle was terrible, and it just ran with both of those points.

Haven't played SR2 yet.

Ditto. It's just not fun. Saints Row 2 is Saints Row times ten. It's not clever, it's not smart, it doesn't look that great, but holy goddamnit is it fun. It's stupid, and it knows it, and so it just goes nuts with that.

guggnichso

Banned
Saint's Row 2 > GTA 4
Uncharted > Gears of War
Privateer > Elite 2
Forza 2 > GT4
Dead Space > RE4

That's about it for my list.

alistairw said:

I hate to say this, because San Andreas is in my honest-to-god top 5 ever, but I agree. I felt betrayed at every turn playing GTAIV, and in fact couldn't even bring myself to finish it. Took what I adored about San Andreas and literally abandoned all of it. Saints Row 2 isn't a tenth the game San Andreas was, but it's a reasonable facsimile in GTA's absence.

Edit - Okami's better than Wind Waker by orders of magnitude.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Aristotlekh said:
I hate to say this, because San Andreas is in my honest-to-god top 5 ever, but I agree. I felt betrayed at every turn playing GTAIV, and in fact couldn't even bring myself to finish it. Took what I adored about San Andreas and literally abandoned all of it. Saints Row 2 isn't a tenth the game San Andreas was, but it's a reasonable facsimile in GTA's absence.

I'd absolutely agree with this. Well, except that Vice City captured my interest more than San Andreas. Loved San Andreas, of course, but there's nothing that beats driving down the coastal road at sunset to Sister Christian.

"Motorrrrinn!!"

alistairw said:
I'd absolutely agree with this. Well, except that Vice City captured my interest more than San Andreas. Loved San Andreas, of course, but there's nothing that beats driving down the coastal road at sunset to Sister Christian.

"Motorrrrinn!!"

I really like Vice City too. I used to like it more than San Andreas. But eventually, after the LA portion, the sprawl grew on me. Either way, there's something profoundly joyless about GTAIV. It's like that game was made by a focus group that was really "with it."

Dead Man

Yeah, going with SR2 > GTAIV. Which bothered me at first, since GTAI through to SA are some of my favourite games of all time. My first PC LAN's were with GTA! But it just was not very fun in IV.

I can't think of any others that would fit the bill. Some where the game is as good, but none where I flat out prefer the copy.

Maybe Uncharted > TR? I know they're not really the same, but I'd say TR inspired Uncharted a bit.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
soultron said:
So, I just dropped $10 on Dark Sector today, and though it rips a tonne of mechanics from Gears of War (roadie run, cover system, etc.) I have to say that I'm actually enjoying it more than GOW/GOW2. There's a lot of variety to the locations and the game play, since new powers are doled out to you every so often. Environmental puzzles using water, fire, electricity, gas, etc. are pretty neat. It's just too bad that the story's shit and hard to follow.

If the two games were mashed into one, it'd basically be too much awesome to handle. (I think my enjoyment comes also from the fact that it was only $10 brand new. Get this game.)

So, GAF, what are some instances where you preferred the imitators that tried to follow in the footsteps of their gaming forefathers?
Totally agree with you on the DS bit. I thought I was the only one on GAF saying this but glad to see someone else.

Gears of course destroys it for the co-op bit but SP alone Dark Sector is a lot more fun.

Aeana

Lufia 1 and Earthbound are both games that imitate Dragon Quest pretty straightly, and I like them both more than the first few DQ games.

dazzgc

Banned
probably gonna get grilled for this, but apart from links awakening, i consider alundra on psx better than any other 2d zelda

edit: wow, seems im not alone :D

vesp

dazzgc said:
probably gonna get grilled for this, but apart from links awakening, i consider alundra on psx better than any other 2d zelda

edit: wow, seems im not alone :D
Truth.

Ploid 3.0

Aristotlekh said:

Edit - Okami's better than Wind Waker by orders of magnitude.

I felt SR2 was San Andreas' true sequel. The missions were more open, the diversions were greater, ton of clothes options, huge world, etc. I thought with it I could put San Andreas to rest. Then I discovered that my garage was persistent. I could totally wreck cars I spent minutes customizing and it will be back at the garage, and a ton of other things in SR2. It's such a beast. Love it to bits. And I only mentioned a fraction of the updates.

Oh I gotta mention the mission select newspaper. I'm not much of a gta for the missions person (felt gta4 was a missions only pack), but in SR2 you can pick any mission you beat and do it again. Let's not forget Co-op as well. Beast!

Llamatron 2112 > Robotron 2084.

That's the first thing I thought of... I mean, aside from things that this thread wasn't about, like newer games in a series (on new platforms particularly) being better than older ones. But Llamatron... okay, it ran on more powerful hardware than Robotron for sure. But still, it was such an amazing game... I'd probably take it over Smash TV too, actually. Smash TV is awesome, but so is Llamatron...

Coxswain

Blue Dragon was light years beyond every Final Fantasy (and/or Dragon Quest if you swing that way), at least where it counts.

Capndrake said:
Diddy Kong Racing > Mario Kart 64.
Also agreeing with this.

Honourable mention goes to Uncharted versus Gears of War. Everything that was in both games, I thought Uncharted did better, but I think GoW being so much more feature complete puts it just slightly above as an overall package.

And in the "nobody knows what I'm talking about and even fewer people care" category, Vanguard Bandits/Epica Stella was way the hell better than the Super Robot Taisen series, no matter how much you love Getter Robo.

Resistance 1 & 2 > any FPS

Resistance 2 bashing comming in 3... 2... 1...

Also Beyond Good & Evil > Zelda

Too bad Ubisoft is only about casual/movie games now, I'm extremely pessimistic abuot the sequels, I haven't liked a Ubisoft game in ages :lol

Top Bottom