• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortals Fenyx Rising |OT| Gods and Monsters and Callistos, Oh My

PrimeMendoza

Neo Member
On Series X I have a big issue with screen tearing. Performance mode, my tv doesn't support VRR, nothing happen if I change the console res to 1080/120 from 4k/60. Any clue? I just need to wait for a patch?
Does your's still screen tear mines been doing that been looking all over the internet for answers.

Humdinger

Enjoying the game. I've got 21 hours on the clock, and I'm still in the first area, the Valley of Eternal Spring.

Combat continues to be fun, and I'm getting slightly better at it. I'm still not skilled, but I don't die -- although occasionally I run away. I like the additional combat options I'm getting -- the God Powers, the additional skills. It's keeping things interesting. That bird (Phobos?) sure is a help in battle. I also like the fact that you can select weapons and armor perks separately from choosing their cosmetic appearance.

There are a few things I'll have to leave undone in the first area, because either I can't figure out the puzzle or the challenge is too hard. I seem to get flummoxed when I encounter puzzles whose difficulty is at the second or third level, which doesn't bode well for me, since that's probably two-thirds of all the puzzles. I wish there was an easy setting for puzzles, but I guess that's not an option.

Given that I'm at 21 hours and not finished with the first of five areas, I expect I'll be playing the game for a good amount of time. I'm pleased with it. It's been a good source of entertainment and distraction, the last few weeks.

Last edited:

Gold_Loot

Wonderful game. Starts off a bit vanilla, but after you get a few power moves, it really opens up the combat.

Shower thought: does the animation, art style and color pallet remind anyone else of the original Jak and Daxter?

no spoilers here so u can read it

19 hours in, completed the first starter area and the next one which is basically the first real big area. ( hard mode, as nightmare is locked until u complete hard mode )

Experience so far:

- Story is great, doesn't overstay its welcome and doesn't hinder exploration. The dialogue that does take place is short and snappy and that's how i like it. Gameplay in this game comes first that's for sure.

- I like the base where u upgrade and level everything in, absolutely lovely made isn't in the way and in someway is basically a mini vallhalla settlement camp with all the stuff that u need close together. really reminds me of that.

- The game is basically a mix of different games:

Here's a list of what i reminds me off.

-- kingdom hearts: the character kind of animations really look like that same as with dialogue, maybe even the fight style of it ( never really played the game much myself so yea can't say for sure )
-- zelda breath of the wild: map shows the idea, the stamina meter, the upgradeable weapons, no leveling, climbing, swimming, gear kinda and to some limited extent shrines. however one difference tho, far better worked out in immortals, its straight up a evolution of it. It will be hard going back to breath of the wild after this game
-- Older zelda's, bigger dungeons ( puzzles, encounters, puzzles, end boss, meaningful item out of it ), more puzzles and actually solving stuff with limited tools but combinations of them to move further with it. keeps it simple but still interesting.
-- ac odyssey, map design ( layout is botw ), with teleporting, icons on the map, etc etc but enhanced ( no longer u gotta synchronise with 70 teleporters, only 1 for each area so that's probably 5-6 total for the entire game, the teleports unlock the moment u in a new area or near a objective that u can teleport towards so no hassle here anymore
-- ac valhalla, settlement, kinda quest system.
-- kid icarus, never played the games but flying around kinda feels like that game.
-- ragnarok online, proc on weapons anybody? that's how my bow feels right now with its armor.

Example of it in gif style: ( grouping mobs up was never as fun as what i got going on right now )
386cee7769925b534e5f99f571512003.gif

Lots of things are fine tuned like.
- simple upgrade system ( u upgrade for example bow mastery at a armory kinda, and if you hit level 4, all bows no matter which one u pick up will have there second bonus 4th skill unlock unlocked. So u can swap gear whenever u want and not be holded back. ( big issue in valhalla where leveling is done on the gaer itself which locks you into choices and simple endless upgrading of gear or simple u can't because no materials

- talents that are interesting instead of bloating shit that nobody cares for like 1% hit, 2% dmg x400. ( didn't like the system in valhalla on this front oddysey and origin where better on it ). This game takes it to the next level, just 3 bow skills 100% headshot, guided arrow, mid air jump done. Want more? the bows themselves u pick up have all there own 2 skills with it which still makes the experience deep but more about finding gear etc instead of sitting in boring talent tree's.

- Over the top attacks. But not to much. Feels really like kingdom hearts kind of something but fun. here's a example in a gif. Would never work in ac games but in this game absolutely and makes fight that otherwise would be more of the same really interesting because it all depends on how the enemy stands and what compositions they have to what attack u will be launching or try to launch. Gives it a bit more depth something i missed with ac games.

10add58273eba04ac16039423782568c.gif

- puzzles, lots and lots of puzzles holy shit. From bigger puzzles to smaller puzzles to whole area's that are engulfed into one massive puzzle. Absolutely like it. It's something i missed in breath of the wild the shrines got old fast and this game is packed with them with all kinds of different ones. The rewards are also interesting something with zelda and oddysey often could be argued really.

For example after doing one dungeon i got a armor and it changed my fight style completely because of the bonuses. no upgrading or leveling needed just equip the armor and go and adjust.

- map is packed with content, but unlike odyssey which is riddled with marks everywhere same for valhalla ( vallhalla is fine tho they pruned it a lot ) this game has puzzles everywhere, u turn your ass around there is something. the world is far far from death like breath of the wild was. Its probably the most tightly packed content wise game i ever played. And none of it is boring but actually interesting because it keeps you thinking and unlocks more powerful skills + get gear that can make your playstyle completely different a hour later ( for example i was shooting boring arrows that just did dmg this morning its now one big explosion lightning show when shit procs lol what i got going on right now so good ).

- Bird is far from useless like in ac games and actually adds towards the gameplay now in a meaningful way i like it that u get a different skill from each bird and basically can really add it towards your gameplay.

- Game is hard. Really really hard in lots of encounters i faced. I got my ass handed to me so hard i simple just bailed on it until i get stronger lol. Mythical fights are insanely hard ( wind island ). But also some mobs have endless health to the point they hit u once u get combed or just instant killed while u gotta raid that boss for 10-15 minutes lol.

Example: ( i got basically deleted instantly ) and this is not a rare sight i get smashed a lot. The game is pretty darn hard in fights as u need to keep your surroundings in check.

cb7d100466d6fafa6ba4a300afad7ed6.gif

Mobs HP pools are also something else, in ac valhalla u can pretty much same with origin and odyssey 1 shot people, here sometimes u gotta 100 shot a mob because they ain't going down and they hit like trucks here a gif ( ending milisecond get deleted instantly "hard to see but cant find the fragment anymore in my 12 hour recording and its late u get it )

Also fun fact, was a 10 minute fight so yea.

b472e50467a00fdfd8adad4bed18a638.gif

conclusion.

Got a absolute blast so far, hope the game keeps up and the content keeps up, cant wait to jump in it tomorrow again.

You just sold me on this. Ubisoft should hire you.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Does your's still screen tear mines been doing that been looking all over the internet for answers.

Strange. I got a PS5 and playing in performance mode as well, and my tv is a 2016 HDR 4K tv so no VRR support. Had shit tearing in AC Valhalla in some rare areas but so far zero tearing in IFR.

Does anyone with a PS5 faced tearing here?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You just sold me on this. Ubisoft should hire you.

50+ hours in, and it's a very good game. Something around 8-9 out of 10. Wonderful puzzles all over the place. Repetition is solved with intriguing puzzles and interesting locations.

Ubisoft so far did a great job with AC Valhalla (9/10 to me) Watch Dogs: Legion (9/10) and Immortal Fenyx Rising (9/10). I wonderful start for the new gen so far from Ubisoft. And all of these games have gigantic amount of loot and cosmetics, makes microtransaction unnecessary as devs are already pretty generous in terms of content and loot (although WDL isn't an RPG).

If you're still hesitant, you can get them on a discount, Ubisoft's subscription, or probably later with GamePass if news are accurate.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Beat the game last night, was pretty darn fun. Definitely recommend. I plan on platinuming it later this week.

Anyone have a tip for the musical parts? Do I really need to use my bow to do them? It's the only part of the game that really doesn't work in my mind. They should have stolen from oot for that part in my mind.

Edit: I too noticed some screen tearing during the ending on ps5. Didn't see any during the rest of the game. Had 3 crashes as well over 30 hours. I also had some cases of slow loading/audio issues when entering new areas. Very, very minor and not something worth complaining about but a bit noticeable.

This seems to be os related though as once I restarted the ps5 those disappeared.

We need some of them stability updates again!

Last edited:

crozier

Has anyone found this playable on PS4? I’m getting horrendous lag, to include input lag. I really, really want to enjoy this game, but like many recent titles last gen is little more than an afterthought.

Humdinger

Has anyone found this playable on PS4? I’m getting horrendous lag, to include input lag. I really, really want to enjoy this game, but like many recent titles last gen is little more than an afterthought.

I'm playing on PS4 Pro and not having any noticeable problems.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Just a few things left before I platinum it. How long did it take you folks? That last heroic deeds by Hermes of all 80 myth trials is going to take forever.

Also, what's a "big" tree?

I'll finish the mounts tonight and then search for the phosphor stuff. Still need to finish upgrades on one armor piece and finish the potions but I think that's it.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Finally got my copy yesterday. 3 hours in and I'm really enjoying it. As someone who only recently played BotW (earlier this year) there are many things it does better, but a few things that fall short.

Combat is a lot of fun, and since there is no weapon breaking (which I hated) I actually enjoy going into combat compared to BotW where I mostly avoided when I could.
World is vibrant and looks great, but I don't really like the character designs. Armor and weapon designs so far are good.
Climbing often feels less precise than BotW and is a bit buggy at times on certain connecting walls and edges.
Storywise it's okay, I think Typhon's design is cool. So far I like Prometheus and Zeus doing the narration/commentary, it's not amazing, but I've had a handful of laughs so far from them.
Loot is much better than in BotW (although I did like BotW's super specific/unique pieces of equipment) in that you won't find a pathetic 5 Ice Arrows in a golden chest hidden in a lake. There's also a seemingly larger amount of armor and weapons to find. I've found 2 swords, 3 axes, 7 helmets, and 6 armor pieces so far. Also the armor cosmetic system is great.
The map/marking system isn't nearly as good. You get a few colored pins, but the actual locating things by looking around and pressing R2 is a bit annoying.

I should note that I didn't hate BotW, but also don't think it's amazing as many others do. This game has lots of the good parts, and fixes/removes lots of the parts I didn't like. I'm sure my thoughts will change and new things will surprise/disappoint me as I play more, but for now it's great.

Humdinger

Finally got my copy yesterday. 3 hours in and I'm really enjoying it. As someone who only recently played BotW (earlier this year) there are many things it does better, but a few things that fall short.

Combat is a lot of fun, and since there is no weapon breaking (which I hated) I actually enjoy going into combat compared to BotW where I mostly avoided when I could.
World is vibrant and looks great, but I don't really like the character designs. Armor and weapon designs so far are good.
Climbing often feels less precise than BotW and is a bit buggy at times on certain connecting walls and edges.
Storywise it's okay, I think Typhon's design is cool. So far I like Prometheus and Zeus doing the narration/commentary, it's not amazing, but I've had a handful of laughs so far from them.
Loot is much better than in BotW (although I did like BotW's super specific/unique pieces of equipment) in that you won't find a pathetic 5 Ice Arrows in a golden chest hidden in a lake. There's also a seemingly larger amount of armor and weapons to find. I've found 2 swords, 3 axes, 7 helmets, and 6 armor pieces so far. Also the armor cosmetic system is great.
The map/marking system isn't nearly as good. You get a few colored pins, but the actual locating things by looking around and pressing R2 is a bit annoying.

I should note that I didn't hate BotW, but also don't think it's amazing as many others do. This game has lots of the good parts, and fixes/removes lots of the parts I didn't like. I'm sure my thoughts will change and new things will surprise/disappoint me as I play more, but for now it's great.

I feel much the same about BotW as you did, and I also finished that a few months back. I agree with your comparison points.

I'd add a couple things. Visuals/resolution is a lot better here than BotW. You allude to that in your comment about the world, but it's probably one of the main advantages of this game over BotW.

The protagonist has a voice, and the narrators add additional voices to the mix, too. I prefer that to Link's muteness and the overall lack of voice (outside of cutscenes) in BotW.

Combat is a lot more fun -- you mentioned the lack of weapon-breaking, but I'll add that it's also more fun because it's just more fun -- more dynamic and colorful.

The HUD is more customizable. I haven't played around with that much, but I may later.

BotW excelled at the feeling of exploring a vast world. Immortal's world is smaller and a bit more crowded. I don't get that same feeling of wide-open exploration that I did in Zelda (which I thought was that game's strong point).

BotW had large portions of land where nothing much was happening, so it had a more relaxed vibe. This game adopts the more typical modern style, where activities are more densely packed. There isn't much downtime, like in Zelda where you'd travel over mountains or prairies without much going on, and it sort of allowed you to slow down, breathe, take in the scenery. You can do that here if you like -- stop, pause, take in the scenery -- but it's not built into the pacing of the game like it is in Zelda.

I'm also enjoying the puzzles slightly more in this game than BotW. I'm still not a big fan of either, but I've had more fun with these puzzles so far than the ones in Zelda. I got quite tired of the puzzles in Zelda and ended up consulting walkthroughs just to get them over with.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member

The amount of armour is huge. Most is cosmetic and kind of useless though.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'm also enjoying the puzzles slightly more in this game than BotW. I'm still not a big fan of either, but I've had more fun with these puzzles so far than the ones in Zelda. I got quite tired of the puzzles in Zelda and ended up consulting walkthroughs just to get them over with.
I forgot to mention the puzzles (among other things), but I agree. The puzzles in BotW had a few good ones, but they also tossed in the shrines that were against that same robot mk1, mk2, etc. and I hated those. So far I've really enjoyed the puzzles/vaults I've done and the puzzles in the main world are great too. The addition of different weight pressure plates has already led to some great moments.

Humdinger

I can’t understand why some outlets would give this game a 7 and BoTW a 10. Either both are a 7 or both a 10.

Well, to be fair, BotW originated a lot of these ideas, and Immortals is copying them. So Zelda deserves credit for creating the gameplay in the first place. It's okay if they ding Immortals a bit for being sort of derivative. I mean, it is rather shameless in how much it directly copies from BotW.

Esca

Thanks to the many posts I randomly read through it this thread i decided to get the game since it's half of at target right now, I'll get it in the mail in a few days and am really looking forward to it. I normally don't pay more than 20-25 for an ubi game but this just looks to scratch the right itch along with all the positive words of mouth and being a new ip i decided why not. Will post again once I get some time into it. Thanks for your impressions everyone

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I can’t understand why some outlets would give this game a 7 and BoTW a 10. Either both are a 7 or both a 10.

Wonderful game, funny sense of humor, light-hearted story-telling, wonderful puzzles, varied worlds.

Beaten the game, an easy 9/10 to me. But you know, it's cool to bash Ubisoft and worship anything Nintendo-related.

Kreen101

The overworld in this game must be the most empty overworld I've ever seen in a game. Since everybody is turned to stone, there are no NPCs to talk to or to get quests from, there are no towns or villages, so moving from one part of the map to another is just traversing terrain and fighting the occasional monster, most of whom you can just flee from and continue on your way. Unlike in real life, the lack of NPCs in this game is a weakness.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Well, to be fair, BotW originated a lot of these ideas, and Immortals is copying them. So Zelda deserves credit for creating the gameplay in the first place. It's okay if they ding Immortals a bit for being sort of derivative. I mean, it is rather shameless in how much it directly copies from BotW.
That doesn't excuse many of the poor elements of BotW that were seemingly overlooked because "Nintendo".

If this game was called Zelda BotW 2 it would have gotten higher scores guaranteed.

Humdinger

That doesn't excuse many of the poor elements of BotW that were seemingly overlooked because "Nintendo".

If this game was called Zelda BotW 2 it would have gotten higher scores guaranteed.

I don't really give much credence to review scores. Some people get very preoccupied with them, but I don't really care. I've learned over several decades of playing games that the correlation between review scores and whether I'll enjoy a game is very near zero. I just trust my own experience. I really can't be bothered to sweat about what score reviewers give a game. Just doesn't matter to me.

Well, I'll correct that a little. It matters a little, insofar as it impacts sales and thus the possibility of a sequel. For example, in this case, I hope that Immortal's review scores don't negatively impact sales (aggregate seems to be about 80, so that probably won't happen). I heard from Mat Piscatella that review scores only have a substantial impact on sales when they're over 90. In other words, the 10's helped Zelda BotW sales, but the ~ 80 is unlikely to significantly hurt Immortals' sales. Word of mouth seems good, so there may be a long sales "tail."

Esca

Finally got my copy and put like a dozen hours in so far. I have to say I really like it overall. The light heartedness of it took a little to get us to but otherwise I'm liking it so far, especially the music, it caught my attention a few times. The puzzles are also really cool and seem to be all over with decent rewards.

GymWolf

Lol i remember when i said that i had more fun with the demo of fenyx than the complete botw game and some nintendo fanboys was not happy with that...it turns out that i'm not the only one thinking that...

DonJorginho

Banned
Lol i remember when i said that i had more fun with the demo of fenyx than the complete botw game and some nintendo fanboys was not happy with that...it turns out that i'm not the only one thinking that...
It is an improvement from BOTW in literally every aspect, still baffles me how BOTW got so far in the GOTG tournament here.

Last edited:

buenoblue

Yeah this game is great. Got the ps5 upgrade from ps4 version 29.99 over Christmas. Love the puzzles. I remember when every game had puzzles to work out but over the years they've been streamlined. Combat is cool. Looks absolutely gorgeous 😍 on ps5 on my 75inch ambilight tv. Best game ive played since ages. Love it defo worth a pick up.

Venuspower

Two days ago I finished my NG+ playthrough.
Of course I made sure to open every chest, vault etc. once again.
Vaults were so much easier this time. I cannot wait for the first DLC to arrive

Humdinger

I enjoyed BotW a lot, and I'd disagree with the notion that Immortals beats BotW in every aspect. However, I think I'm enjoying Immortals a bit more than BotW. It improves on a lot of things, especially combat and visuals.

There doesn't seem to be much of a main story. I'm not complaining -- that's part of the BotW template. But when playing, I usually feel as if I'm completing one task after another, without any overarching purpose, and without any progression in a central narrative. It was the same in BotW, so that's not surprising, I guess.

Last edited:

Brute

I bought loads of games over festive period and have decided to play this next. I hope the puzzles aren't frustrating because I'm usually bad at them!

Hakiroto

I'm about 5 hours in and I'm really enjoying it. The combat is fun and it's a nice world to explore. It's funny, too, which is kind of a nice change.

I still can't use cross saves. Worked fine up until 1.05 then boom - doesn't work. There's a few of us, but others report it is fine for them.

I want to continue on PS5 but stuck on PC.

Nut

Neo Member
I bought loads of games over festive period and have decided to play this next. I hope the puzzles aren't frustrating because I'm usually bad at them!

When you enter a "puzzle vault" (Vault of Tartaros), it gives you a difficulty rating, 1-3. 1-2 are ezpz, some of the 3's can be frustrating.

If you try a 3 star and don't like it remember that they are entirely optional.

At the end of the game there's a few mandatory puzzle segments, and those can be frustrating, but you'll blow past em.

Brute

When you enter a "puzzle vault" (Vault of Tartaros), it gives you a difficulty rating, 1-3. 1-2 are ezpz, some of the 3's can be frustrating.

If you try a 3 star and don't like it remember that they are entirely optional.

At the end of the game there's a few mandatory puzzle segments, and those can be frustrating, but you'll blow past em.
Thanks for the heads up!

Excited to play this now, I love BOTW but hated the weapon durability stuff.

Rawdirt

Neo Member
I’ve only got 4 hours in and it’s already better than AC Valhalla. Even though Valhalla’s side quest are better than recent AC, I’m growing very tired of the whole formula. Immortals art style and cheesy Zeus narration stinks but other than that it’s been enjoyable.

xray49er

I'm about 30 hours in and I am having a blast. I usually hate long games but I can play this for 15 minutes at a time or a few hours. Really enjoying it

iorek21

My only real complaint is the far sight mechanic, it’s agonizing as fuck.

With all those accessibility options, I’ very surprised that there’s no setting to make it easier.

Humdinger

I'm not great at puzzles, either, and they're my least favorite part of Immortals, just like they were my least favorite part of BotW. Although Nut said the 2-star puzzles were "ezpz," YMMV. In my experience, some of the 2-star puzzles are easy, but others can be annoyingly frustrating -- trial and error stuff, more a chore than fun. There are a LOT of puzzles in the game, too -- not just the vaults Nut is referring to, but all over the map.

I have mixed feelings about them. Sometimes they are an enjoyable change of pace from the combat, and they are fun to unlock. But sometimes, they feel like a chore I have to do, so I can get the reward. I leave many of them undone, because I don't feel like bothering.

Last edited:

Brute

I’m just over an hour in and I already love it! Such a pretty game and the combat is very satisfying despite what one review source said calling it “bad” or whatever.

Humdinger

I've given myself the task of "clearing" areas -- meaning I do the vaults, chests, and challenges that interest me (about 2/3 or 3/4 of them) and leave the rest behind. I've cleared 3/5 areas, and I'm working on the 4th right now. The fifth (King's Peak) is still clouded over. I still have a lot of the primary quests to finish, not to mention the ancillary ones. I'm over 50 hours in, so I expect I'll be around 80 hours by the time I'm finished.

Good game. I'm not sure if I'll get the DLC or not. Iirc, it's fairly expensive. I may have had my fill, by the time I finish. I'll see how I feel when I get there.

I've given myself the task of "clearing" areas -- meaning I do the vaults, chests, and challenges that interest me (about 2/3 or 3/4 of them) and leave the rest behind. I've cleared 3/5 areas, and I'm working on the 4th right now. The fifth (King's Peak) is still clouded over. I still have a lot of the primary quests to finish, not to mention the ancillary ones. I'm over 50 hours in, so I expect I'll be around 80 hours by the time I'm finished.

Good game. I'm not sure if I'll get the DLC or not. Iirc, it's fairly expensive. I may have had my fill, by the time I finish. I'll see how I feel when I get there.

DLC is out on Thursday, apparently :D

Kenpachii

So downloaded the game to see if there was new content before the DLC

Happy to see 2 new things to do, one a trail of somekind as somekind of preperation for the new DLC. sadly only 5 minutes of work to finish it so not much content here.
Another quest timed exclusive for 1 week only 1 day to go, its some quest where u gotta kill 3 bosses and that's about it, also pretty darn easy as they are just normal map bosses also 5 minutes effort.

Not a big fan of timed quests because this is not a game u come back to every week to play, u come back to this game when actual large amount of content is added, so i got the feeling i am missing out on a few quests. Not like those quests where anything noticeable tho.

I really wish the team would come forwards and actually start to push some real content into the game, i can't wait for tommorow, i hope it adds a large amount of content to the main game, because currently right now i am still of the opinion the main game simple has to low content.

xray49er

Just finished this today.50 hours and was probably 75 to 80 percent complete. Holy shit what a ride I had a blast didn't even mind the narration. I thought I would never finish a game this long. Thinking about getting the dlc but I think I need a break maybe if the season pass goes on sale

So, the new DLC is up on the PlayStation store. No new patch for the game, you just download the DLC at under 5GB in size (apologies, forgot the exact size).

Load up the game and it loads the normal game. You need to select A New God to load a new menu.

You have to create a new game and get a warning:
"Immortals Fenyx Rising - A New God contains spoilers of the main game's story. Make sure you have cleared it before starting playing to avoid spoilers. Do you want to proceed?"

So it is recommended that you clear the game first before going into it.

If you proceed, it confirms you want to pull your character and progression through from the main game, but it maxes out your character. You can then change how your character looks, if you want.

Last edited:
Top Bottom