• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Impeachment trial kicks off this week as Democrats seek to tie Trump to Capitol riots

Pumpkin Seeds

Jul 13, 2018
Lol I don’t read bourgeois media uncritically, ya putz. As an actual, honest to goodness Marxist, not the fever dream “cultural Marxist” conservatives fret over, what’s in the press is much farther away from my preferred reality than yours, but the obvious threads of reality from which the tapestry of bullshit is woven are plainly visible, here.

"Actually, I'm a Marxist" is not the reply you think it is.

I'm not trying to be mean. I was going to explain that defining it as inciting a riot would cause major damage to free speech, but then I realized that people should have already realized that and explaining it would be a waste of my time. In the end, it is simply about targeting schmucks to set standards that are harmful for the public.

Neil Young

Mar 26, 2020
The chatter online from these people has been combed through in retrospect and it certainly seems like most of them were already talking in violent terms.
Your paint brush just keeps getting larger and larger. And it's funny that the person who thumbed up your post previously said that it must have been Trump supporters that planted the pipe bombs...because, who else could it have been?

May 31, 2008
"Actually, I'm a Marxist" is not the reply you think it is.

I'm not trying to be mean. I was going to explain that defining it as inciting a riot would cause major damage to free speech, but then I realized that people should have already realized that and explaining it would be a waste of my time. In the end, it is simply about targeting schmucks to set standards that are harmful for the public.

Trump is not being tried criminally, he’s being tried for his hypothetical future fitness to run for federal office. Whether his words and actions represented responsible stewardship of power is a far different question to whether his words represented an illegal exercise of speech.

Feb 3, 2015
They're going in alphabetical order, but so far three Republicans — Richard Burr, Bill Cassidy and Susan Collins — have voted guilty.

I believe at least Burr was surprising?

Feb 3, 2015
The Senate now has enough votes to acquit Donald Trump of incitement of insurrection in the impeachment trial.

As of now, 34 senators have voted to acquit Trump.

Assuming no senator changes his or her vote, the Senate will not have enough votes to convict Trump. It would take 67 votes to convict the former president.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
Surprised to see Toomey flip. Honestly 57-43 is a pretty scathing indictment. It's the most we've ever seen ranks break among a president's own party in an impeachment trial.

Even Johnson, who came closer to the 2/3 threshold than anyone, was saved by Republicans voting against impeachment, not by rallying support from democrats (who were far outnumbered at the time and didn't make up 1/3)

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
To rephrase that: This is BY FAR the most bipartisan guilty vote in an American impeachment trial. In fact:

Democrats who voted to convict Andrew Johnson: 0
Democrats who voted to convict Bill Clinton: 0
Republicans who voted to convict Trump in 2019: 1
Republicans who voted to convict Trump in 2021: 7

If Trump were still in office, they might have even rallied support from a few more (certainly McConnell at least), but hey...

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Kick ass. So when do the Waters/Pelosi/Schumer/Warren/Sanders incitement trials begin? 2022, you say?

Last edited:
Reactions: Brazen

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
To rephrase that: This is BY FAR the most bipartisan guilty vote in an American impeachment trial. In fact:

If Trump were still in office, they might have even rallied support from a few more (certainly McConnell at least), but hey...

It doesn't matter to the Trump folks, they will pretend this means he is innocent.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Don’t worry. Republicans in Georgia will take care of that.
Democrat's Trump obsession is their own problem to deal with. The earlier the party realizes that, the earlier they can wield the power they were elected to use on behalf of their constituents instead of punishing their enemies like petulant tyrants.

It doesn't matter to the Trump folks, they will pretend this means he is innocent.
This is how Dems actually think: guilty until proven innocent, and even then... well...

Last edited:

TheFarter

Oct 21, 2017

No social media back then. No shaming like there is now. Reverse the timeline and I'd imagine the results would be different.

Feb 3, 2015
No social media back then. No shaming like there is now. Reverse the timeline and I'd imagine the results would be different.
Idk or maybe Trump telling everyone the election was stolen and telling a mob to stop the steal as the election was being certified which lead to police dying is a bit worse than lying about an affair.

Romney nearly got caught by the mob that Trump refused to call off ffs.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Brazen and Madonis

Vestal

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2007
Tampa FL
Democrat's Trump obsession is their own problem to deal with. The earlier the party realizes that, the earlier they can wield the power they were elected to use on behalf of their constituents instead of punishing their enemies like petulant tyrants.

This is how Dems actually think: guilty until proven innocent, and even then... well...

I think you are ignoring the rift within the party itself.
But don’t worry we all have a front seat to watch it unfold over the coming months.

shoplifter

Jun 7, 2004
ohio
Idk or maybe Trump telling everyone the election was stolen and telling a mob to stop the steal as the election was being certified which lead to police dying is a bit worse than lying about an affair.

not comparing the two but i cant be the only one that is incredibly bothered by the president of the united states having an affair with a subordinate employee, then lying about it. That shit is peak blackmail material, and leaves the entire government open to be compromised by a nefarious actor.

i think you’re greatly overlooking how serious that could be

Feb 3, 2015
Man the amount of public speakers that would get thrown in jail if that was criminalised
Incitement is criminal. But either way it shouldn’t be controversial that a president that we know enjoyed watching the mob threaten the capitol and refused to tell the mob to stop probably shouldn’t be able to run for office again.

Jan 16, 2020
Incitement is criminal. But either way it shouldn’t be controversial that a president that we know enjoyed watching the mob threaten the capitol and refused to tell the mob to stop probably shouldn’t be able to run for office again.

Then push for every other politician who used the word fight in their speeches to go to jail

Hell chuck me in Jail because I didn't tell a thief to stop being a thief lmao

I hope you at least realise you're going down a rabbit hole with this

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Nov 4, 2020

Nice opinion. Too bad it didn't work.

sexy donald trump GIF by Bubble Punk

May 31, 2008
not comparing the two but i cant be the only one that is incredibly bothered by the president of the united states having an affair with a subordinate employee, then lying about it. That shit is peak blackmail material, and leaves the entire government open to be compromised by a nefarious actor.

i think you’re greatly overlooking how serious that could be

That this is the first place your brain goes is really weird, dude.

shoplifter

Jun 7, 2004
ohio
That this is the first place your brain goes is really weird, dude.
Bottom line is that it WAS serious, yet it was treated like “lol bill nailed an intern lolol” People that don’t see that are being willfully obtuse.

They’re two entirely different situations, both had serious reasons for happening.

Feb 3, 2015
Then push for every other politician who used the word fight in their speeches to go to jail

Hell chuck me in Jail because I didn't tell a thief to stop being a thief lmao

I hope you at least realise you're going down a rabbit hole with this

That isn’t how incitement is defined, we have the 1st amendment.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Nov 4, 2020
You had the media showing you for weeks what been going on before the impeachment trial but now Trump lawyers had an opportunity to present what a bunch of hypocrites they are and worst yet, no stimulus.

Lol come on sons.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2016
Not surprising, the house managers not addressing the evidence manipulation raised a lot of questions and they never touched on it once. The date changes, edited video, and cut video lengths were not seriously considered by democrat voters who supported the conviction and that blew up on them,

TheFarter

Oct 21, 2017

Romney nearly got caught by the mob that Trump refused to call off ffs.
At least it's down to a mob, where they were able to work the very same night. What a huge erection.

Glad to see the right thing done. 2024 could be lit!

Bernd Lauert

Apr 15, 2018

Impressive cope.

Hope the most acquitted president in US history makes a comeback.

donald trump GIF

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
Impressive cope.

Hope the most acquitted president in US history makes a comeback.

donald trump GIF
If he couldn't win as an incumbent, I don't see how he's going to do better as a disgraced loser.

I want Trump barred from office not because I think he can win the general but because he can win the primary, and give Dems permission to run yet another shit candidate secure in the knowledge that people will vote for them because they aren't Trump.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Godzilla Emu
May 31, 2008
Bottom line is that it WAS serious, yet it was treated like “lol bill nailed an intern lolol” People that don’t see that are being willfully obtuse.

They’re two entirely different situations, both had serious reasons for happening.

It’s serious because it’s a severe and arbitrary abuse of power and public trust. It was thought of as funny at the time because we did not have the post-#MeToo liberal anxiety about consent and the like, and because Republicans had been looking to nail Clinton for years and ended up with that seemingly paltry weapon.