• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a curious development, was Professor Layton just leaked for Smash 4 DLC? [Rumor]

Hopeford

Forget Hershel, Alfendi is the Layton we need and I don't care if I'm one of the like 6 people that played his game.

CengizMan

Layton was so important for the Nintendo DS. Sold awesome, the games are super charming and Nintendo like. I actually thought the games were developed by Nintendo, that's how good they were. They also only showed up on Nintendo consoles. This choice would make a lot of sense.

Sterok

Uh, I've been expecting a Level 5 character to show up before a Square character, and it's kind of hard to justify Jibanyan getting in before Yokai Watch comes out overseas, and I do like Layton, but this strikes me as unlikely. He's popular sure, but not that popular. I won't be mad if he is in, but he's on a much lower level than even the likes of Mega Man or Snake.

Whew, for a moment there I was thinking Smash rumours had stopped being able to get my hopes up for inevitable dashing, I'd be so on board for Layton, I could retire my crummy Mii Swordfighter equivalent.

Yeah, I can definitely see it. Imagine it guys:

Layton in Smash means a Layton Amiibo, and assuming Level 5 isn't too stingy like TPC, works mean Layton in the likes of Mario Maker and Mario Kart (as a Mii Costume)

Though part of me doesn't want to get my hopes up too much considering the whole Rayman fiasco.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Uh, I've been expecting a Level 5 character to show up before a Square character, and it's kind of hard to justify Jibanyan getting in before Yokai Watch comes out overseas, and I do like Layton, but this strikes me as unlikely. He's popular sure, but not that popular. I won't be mad if he is in, but he's on a much lower level than even the likes of Mega Man or Snake.

Maybe they will add a newcomer specifically targeting the three main Nintendo branches:

NoE: Layton
NoA: King K. Rool
NCL: I dunno, Rathalos?

Neoxon

Yeah, I can definitely see it. Imagine it guys:

Layton in Smash means a Layton Amiibo, and assuming Level 5 isn't too stingy like TPC, works mean Layton in the likes of Mario Maker and Mario Kart (as a Mii Costume)

Though part of me doesn't want to get my hopes up too much considering the whole Rayman fiasco.
If this pans out, I sincerely hope that Level-5 isn't TPC levels of stingy.

Nintendo needs to make more NEW IPs with the intention of lasting future appeal. Not just lets put Mario, Samus, Kirby into random game to make it sell.

Splatoon is a good start in that regard. It's definitely Smash material. It's Nintendo EAD's first major character based IP since Pikmin, and it's proven itself in terms of popularity (it managed to do over a million and it's still selling over in Japan).

Splatoon is a good start in that regard. It's definitely Smash material. It's Nintendo EAD's first major character based IP since Pikmin, and it's proven itself in terms of popularity (it's managed to do over a million and it's still selling over in Japan).

There are two other post Pikmin EAD characters in Smash (Miis and Wii Fit Trainer), so having a character oriented IP isn't really required for Smash.

Man, Sakurai just can't keep anything under wraps can he?

You really have to feel bad. Every bit of DLC except Lucas and Mewtwo has been leaked, if this pans out and Layton is in Smash.

Even the majority of the roster of the base game was leaked.

Smash 4 has been incredibly leaky. I think it's because of the size of the game. There's a lot of hands working and more people means more of a chance someone lets something slip.

There are two other post Pikmin EAD characters in Smash (Miis and Wii Fit Trainer), so having a character oriented IP isn't really required for Smash.

Oh, I'm aware of that. But Splatoon is definitely their first IP in awhile that right away makes complete sense for Smash. No one really thought about Wii Fit until WFT was announced.

Bakkus

Meh not one of my favorites to be in Smash. They ignore Wonder Red, KK Rool, Isaac, etc. But a 3rd party character is a top priority?

Layton is one of my most wanted characters, I'd be totally down with him actually making it. His final smash would have to be awesome.

Toad.T

Banned
I'm reminded of a similar thing occurring leading up to Brawl's release (Or maybe it was DLC, I can't recall).

Good times, goooood times.

Bakkus

Who says this is the last DLC character?
Obviously not but i'm sure that the amount of how many DLC characters they can add will be coming to an end really soon, and I feel a "joke character"* for a fighting game like Layton is a wasted spot. plus that he is a 3rd party character.

*I'm fully aware that Smash 4 already has a few joke characters (like Villager, WFT) for a fighting game, but none of them were DLC.

Amani

The time is now, ladies and gentlemen.

b6ef1f92015a167271c29e9eae85d4ed.jpg

I'm reminded of a similar thing occurring leading up to Brawl's release (Or maybe it was DLC, I can't recall).

Good times, goooood times.

Yep, one of the most memorable fake leaks of the Brawl days was about Professor Layton being in Brawl. Along with, I think, Little Mac?

BedBison

Neo Member
Well if this is based on the Smash Ballot, Layton is really popular in Europe so it makes since that he might win.

Really odd choice if this is all true. Professor Layton isn't quite on the same level as Pac-Man, Sonic or Ryu as far as impact or popularity goes.

I've always associated Layton with Nintendo, so it's a good fit to me. Like, in my heart, he's a Nintendo IP who... occasionally gets to visit the competition and wet his beak a little bit.

rekameohs

Banned
Obviously not but i'm sure that the amount of how many DLC characters they can add will be coming to an end really soon, and I feel a "joke character"* for a fighting game like Layton is a wasted spot. plus that he is a 3rd party character.

*I'm fully aware that Smash 4 already has a few joke characters (like Villager, WTF) for a fighting game, but none of them were DLC.
On the shop, they do have a "character pack 1" with the four DLC characters so far, implying that there would be a 2.

Pyrokai

Don't play with my heart! Layton and Phoenix are my two most wanted, along with Banjo-Kazooie and Dixie Kong.

The perfect game. It's so closely in reach.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Yep, one of the most memorable fake leaks of the Brawl days was about Professor Layton being in Brawl. Along with, I think, Little Mac?

One of the forums posters in here, Wii Will Rock You, created a twitter account under the name of Professor Tophat or whatever, and started promoting the character for Smash in a thread here. Then he got banned.

Top Bottom