• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a gif, scariest scenes in horror films (spoilers)

Duallusion

This is an R-rated thread, correct?

This scene from Pan's Labyrinth horrified me the most - especially the first time. Scariness of jump scares, imagery and such doesn't translate all that well to gifs but I find realistic violence like this even more disturbing in such an out-of-context way. Trully unpleasant stuff. :/

68Qe2pA.gif

Something that's incredibly reliant on audio and narrative context is obviously going to lose almost all its impact in gif form

This. Judging a scene based off a gif neuters the scene.

EDIT:
Also, thanks everyone for staying the fuck away from the August Underground and a Serbian Film. There's some quality choices and quality gore without needing to resort to that bullshit.

shaneo632

This scene from Pan's Labyrinth horrified me the most - especially the first time. Scariness of jump scares, imagery and such doesn't translate all that well to gifs but I find realistic violence like this even more disturbing in such an out-of-context way. Trully unpleasant stuff. :/

68Qe2pA.gif

Haven't seen PL in about 10 years but Jesus Christ that triggered me.

EDIT:
Also, thanks everyone for staying the fuck away from the August Underground and a Serbian Film. There's some quality choices and quality gore without needing to resort to that bullshit.

Those movies are not scary and exist solely for shock value. I'd be greatly disappointed if anyone on GAF posted gifs of that junk.

epmode

Both are from Twin Peaks, the show. First seems to be S1 (possibly S2) and the second is from the recent Twin Peaks: The Return.

The first GIF is too short too. The crawl to the camera goes on a bit longer. And yeah, it's scary as hell in that scene.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Build up, context, direction, and pay-off are what make a jump scare work. It's all in the execution. It's the capper for extended dread and tension.

I don't get what's so great about The Exorcist one

This post by voodooray provides a good explanation if you haven't seen the movie:

Its here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NKhJ5D8trI

I recommend watching it in the context of the movie, even though its basically a 'jump-scare'. But its a good one. I'll do my best to set it up for you though:

(spoilers just in case I manage to persuade others to check it out):

1. There's already been a spate of dreadful murders, including
    a decapitation of a patient directly in front of where the nurse in this scene is standing
    , so everyone is freaked the fuck out.
  2. A scene already happened which shows the viewer what the murder weapon likely was. This is important, because
    they spend time making sure you hear what it sounds like. This is the noise you think you hear at the start of the above scene
  3. The movie doesn't mind spending time setting up its scenes, so it takes a few minutes to pay-off. Folks may fault the film because they consider it slow. But I feel the atmosphere generated is more than worth it.
These are my reasons why it's one of many memorable and creepy moments:

• Not having the cop present in the background for the first jump scare plays with my expectation that something is going to happen. When it doesn't, I am too busy lowering my heart-rate thinking she's safe, and swearing at the cheap-scare.

You even begin to think the nurse will be fine, as the cop is (mostly) present with the her afterwards, right to the point until he's suddenly called away.
  • The nurse enters, leaves, and locks the door of the murder-scene, not having found anything. Yet this is the same room the murderer suddenly emerges from.
    It's completely unexpected for a first-time viewer.

James Rolfe did a great retrospective on it in the last Cinemassacre (spoilers a-plenty):

http://cinemassacre.com/2014/10/11/the-exorcist-iii-1990/

Yikes! Didn't intend to write so much! Maybe its because I met William Peter Blatty once, during an Exorcist DVD signing =)

Wow, you're such a badass.

Huh? Never meant it that way at all.

Something that's incredibly reliant on audio and narrative context is obviously going to lose almost all its impact in gif form

True that. But I was stoned while browsing, and the lights were off, so that has to count towards the horror factor lol. It's weird because even the slightest bit of horror in videogames scares the shit out of me. Couldn't even play Alien Isolation, lent it off a mate and had to give it back.

m4husq2fsm1.gif

Signs

I didn't even like the movie but that scene almost gave me a heart attack.

Eh, this one doesn't really do anything for me; offset by Joaquin Phoenix's lulzy reaction XD
giphy.gif

Surprised nobody's thrown this one into the mix though:

shining-dog-man-o.gif

Its randomness it what made it startling though there's more backstory in the novel (The Shining)

Mahonay

Banned

68Qe2pA.gif
Fuuuuuuck. I subconsciously blocked this scene out in my mind.

68Qe2pA.gif

This one was fuuuuucked up. Like, way worse than any horror movie jump scare.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm one of those monsters who believes that [REC] is.. alright and kinda mediocre, but [REC] 2 is an understated masterpiece. So good.

I think the gimmick in VHS is more fun than the actual movie, but the cult short in VHS 2 singlehandedly justifies the existence of the entire franchise. I've shown just that short to people and it is ALWAYS a riot

I watched the first one and spent the whole time wondering if you had to currently be in a frat to get into it.

SomTervo

68Qe2pA.gif

DocSeuss on twitter asked what the most shocking moment of violence in media was and this was my answer hands down

Completely horrifying

True violence - because not only is it physically violent but it shows a true and complete hatred/repugnance from one human to the other, to the extent that the Captain doesn't even see the rebel as a human. The rebel is an object that he coldly destroys, face first.

None of this is scary, weird but not scary.
Gifs don't really work.

Most of the work in a horror scene is audio so without that it's just slightly absurd imagery.

Its probably that scene in Ring where the girl in the closet is found.

The Signs alien crashing the Mexican party was also great.

Also

tumblr_mmcd0bDphK1s5ke82o1_500.gif

Mascot

68Qe2pA.gif

I've only ever seen Pan's Labyrinth as a TV broadcast and this scene was DEFINITELY cut.

Zolo

68Qe2pA.gif

Yeah. This one's definitely up there.

dl77

I remember seeing that in the cinema. It was horrible but I wouldn't say it was scary. I imagine it was more shocking in Spain as Sergi Lopez was known as more of a romantic actor prior to this.

On a side note if you think that's bad then avoid the fire extinguisher scene in Irreversible. Jesus, that one's grim!

dawgparty

tumblr_mk8slpFXNV1rxam8fo1_500.gif

Evil Dead.

THIS. FUCKING. PART. God I was fine scrolling through all of these and my entire body prickled up when I saw this. I made the mistake of watching this movie the first time I did shrooms, fucking stupid I know. I figured it would be fine because I love horror movies and have seen it like 10 times but when his girlfriend first turns and pops up from the bed I immediately started having a bad trip.

giphy.gif

When anybody talks about not being affected by horror films, I often wonder how many they’ve watched alone at night.

It’s easy to laugh off scares in a crowded theater or in a room filled with friends but watching some of this stuff by yourself would be an entirely different experience.

68Qe2pA.gif

I only watched Pan's Labryinth once, but I don't remember this scene. But either way: yup.

I'll watch horror movies with gross scenes and shit just fine, but one thing I've hated for a while is this type of violence against someone. Violence that involves repeated assault while you can't help but watch and anticipate the moment when something finally breaks or caves. It's different than watching someone be shot or stabbed or set on fire. It's the multiplication of a repeated barbaric act x time.

I don't know if it's the same thing, but there's a scene in a History of Violence that upset me when I first saw it, too, where I think someone's nose gets ripped off or broken off or something.

Shit like that, or someone repeatedly bending someone's limb in an attempt to break it just makes shiver.

gamz

When anybody talks about not being affected by horror films, I often wonder how many they’ve watched alone at night.

It’s easy to laugh off scares in a crowded theater or in a room filled with friends but watching some of this stuff by yourself would be an entirely different experience.

Or they haven't watched a horror film that affected them.

Surprised no one mentioned this scene from The Conjuring. This legit shook me in theaters, they way they built it up was amazing and I want to go back to when I first saw the scene

source.gif

Also this scene as well

the_conjuring.gif

This is a really good one, too. Some people like to shit on The Conjuring for being kind of cliché, but it does what it does incredibly well. Even with this "renaissance" of indie horror films over the past few years, The Conjuring still remains one of the most effective horror films I've seen in the past several years (that and House of the Devil are probably among my favorite horror films of the past 10 years).

That top scene in The Conjuring was so well crafted. By that point you'd grown accustomed to this sort of subject - pan right - pan left - surprise kind of formula that when the camera goes from a pan to a tilt (IIRC), simply that abrupt shift in direction catches you off guard enough to make the jump scare hit.

SOLDIER

Any recommended spooky shorts/series on YouTube?

Already know about Marble Hornets and Everyman Hybrid. Still need to finish both, though I'm unsure if the latter ended or ended up being a recommendation.

SOLDIER

for me, the last good horror movie was The Witch

Mother! genuinely spooked me.

But yeah, same boat here. I'm tired of so many traditional horror movies, especially the tired overdone jump scare music.

I want more oppressive/Silent Hill type of films/works.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Any recommended spooky shorts/series on YouTube?

Already know about Marble Hornets and Everyman Hybrid. Still need to finish both, though I'm unsure if the latter ended or ended up being a recommendation.

Whatever ended up happening with Marble Hornets? They were trying something new a while back and then I stopped hearing about them.

Well that is scary looking... is that movie any good?

Honestly the movie's depiction of Alzheimers was more disturbing to me than anything else. I'm sure there's better, more serious movies that tackle the subject but there were a few scenes that made me feel awful.

Lake Mungo is legitimately one of the better films I've seen in this genre, I can't recommend it enough. Really really good and the beach scene creeped me out.
What got to me the most though is the ghost appeared even in the photo faked by the brother and it was there even in the beginning when they showed it, but you never noticed her. I even went back to the earlier part of the movie and sure enough she was there. That got me good.
I'm gonna rewatch this. Where is the scene you're talking about in the spoiler tag?

Well that is scary looking... is that movie any good?

I rather enjoyed it. It's "found footage" but it escapes from most of the tired cliches of the subgenre. There's some concerning elements of the plot that don't make sense/weren't necessary, but overall I think it's effective.

Surfinn

68Qe2pA.gif

One of the most disturbing scenes I've seen put to film. Just pure, grotesque evil

When I saw this in theaters (totally blind), I left thinking about the movie for a LONG time.

Top Bottom