• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a gif, scariest scenes in horror films (spoilers)

Emwitus

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjN9szu3qLWAhWDI1AKHZ8EBOsQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhfboards.hockeysfuture.com%2Farchive%2Findex.php%2Ft-1958785.html&psig=AFQjCNHSxS5t4nKBCuBvHYX7D17tYH2Jtw&ust=1505411975515977OMGosh. Some these scenes. This is literally me right now

url

Calamari41

41 > 38
edit: The Insidious demon always bothered me, I think they needed to either tone down the design(and remove his hair, seriously the hair is so prominent) or have him a little out of focus. As it is you get too good a look at it for too long hence, you know, Darth Maul.

I agree with this completely. The first Insidious peaked in the terror factor during the scene where the guy draws Elise's frantic description of the demon.

In fact, most of the Wan-verse movies peak before you start seeing the "entity" in its full glory. This is probably because most of them are a bit over-designed, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread. They work way better in the shadows. Funny enough, I actually find the Marilyn Manson nun to be one that still works when not hiding in the shadows.

I say this as a big fan of all of these movies, including the ones that everyone else hates.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
m4husq2fsm1.gif

Signs

I didn't even like the movie but that scene almost gave me a heart attack.

I've never seen any of Signs outside of this scene without the full context of the movie, but the fact he yells at the children to "vamanos!" always made me laugh because it's...unnatural? I dunno, something goofy about talking to kids in a news report in their native language. It'd be like if he was watching a report of aliens in Japan and yelled out "YAMERO!" or something.

Does he speak Spanish at any other point in the film?

RMI

Banned
couldn't find the thing as one gif, but I love The Inkeepers and this shit spooked the fuck out of me. It's not that impressive as a gif, but the movie makes it work.

tumblr_obyq2vAFb01qav174o2_540.gif

tumblr_obyq2vAFb01qav174o1_540.gif

Phased

Lake Mungo
05%2B-%2Blake%2Bmungo.gif

Lake Mungo is legitimately one of the better films I've seen in this genre, I can't recommend it enough. Really really good and the beach scene creeped me out.
What got to me the most though is the ghost appeared even in the photo faked by the brother and it was there even in the beginning when they showed it, but you never noticed her. I even went back to the earlier part of the movie and sure enough she was there. That got me good.

Blade25

This is probably a long-shot but I'm going to ask here. I'm trying to find the scene and the name of the movie, the only scene that I remember was from a YouTube video.

My recollection of the scene; two people are held captive in what looks like a dungeon, and a robed person enters the scene (possibly bald), and proceeds to skin one of the captives alive.

If any horror movie experts know what this movie is based on my shitty recollection then you are awesome!

SheSaidNo

This is probably a long-shot but I'm going to ask here. I'm trying to find the scene and the name of the movie, the only scene that I remember was from a YouTube video.

My recollection of the scene; two people are held captive in what looks like a dungeon, and a robed person enters the scene (possibly bald), and proceeds to skin one of the captives alive.

If any horror movie experts know what this movie is based on my shitty recollection then you are awesome!

Maybe dagon? I know there's a skinning scene in that movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aElOiB-sp3w

G.O.O.

Couldn't find a gif, but people mentioning Ring reminded me that I saw Hideo Nakata's Dark Water when it came out and that scene made my heart stop (it's at the end of the movie so major spoilers)

the "monster" from Mulholland Drive scared be but not as much as the elderly couple at the end of the movie. I still can't watch that scene and expect to sleep well afterwards.

Bergerac

When people said Salem's Lot I was expecting the jail scene.

Anyway, thank you for the gifs, I laughed at every one. Apart from Inland Empire because I haven't seen it yet... that just pissed me off. LOL

Also Ringu >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Ring.
Hell, Pingu >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Ring.

gforguava

I'm sad I can't find good Kaïro gifs :-(
With the exception of the slow motion, tripping-in-heels-and-righting-herself-unnaturally moment, I don't think Kairo's power can really translate into an easily digestible image, it is just an omnipresent dread that permeates every moment.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I was under the impression that the American Ring was regarded as the better version? Am I crazy?

Fire Walk with Me is the angriest/meanest Twin Peaks has ever been (still catching up on season 3 but I doubt it gets as dark as 'Fire').

Never seen this, but Big Ed's in it so now it's on my list.

Not just Big Ed, Nadine is in it as well as his crazy wife. You also get to see him hunt for a black kid in his house dressed in a gimp suit. It's pretty fucking great and has a woefull rap ending theme that's just the cherry on top.

Edit: now I feel weird pointing out the kid was black, but race plays a slight role in the film.

JakeD

i've seen a few from the daniel radcliffe The Woman In Black so i thought i'd include the creepiest moment from the original (1989)
SN1ABQI.gif

This is actually based on a scene from George Romero's Day of the Dead.

tumblr_nlbmp7nGvE1s3y9slo2_500.gif

There's one shot towards the end of Day of the Dead that I can't find a gif for that is really similar to this. The zombies pull his head off, and it elongates his throat so as he's screaming the pitch of his voice changes.

It was a super cool idea that I hadn't seen before.

Top Bottom