• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-depth: Everything we know so far about the next Mass Effect

original.jpg

As 2012 was nearing its end, Mass Effect fans were still knee deep in the relatively newly released Mass Effect 3. The ending game to the sci-fi opera trilogy was released in March of that year to much critical and fan acclaim, though backlash from its fans regarding its ending was admittedly quite vocal and widespread. With a new generation upon us, a new Mass Effect game is well into full production. As I scour the net for clues, follow every BioWare developer on Twitter as I can, I’m allowed to say I anticipate every damn delicious morsel of information I can get on the game. With that, let’s take an in-depth look at everything we know so far about the next one.

aC0KMne.png

In late August 2012, fans were fresh off the release of new content for Mass Effect 3. Called “Leviathan”, the DLC delved into the past and origins of the Reapers. Fast forward to Sept. 18 however, and we were dealt a most welcome announcement. In an official blog post, general manager of BioWare Aaryn Flynn confirmed that executive producer Casey Hudson and his teams had plans for a new game set in the Mass Effect universe that were already under way. Said Flynn:
“But the Mass Effect universe is vast, and Casey and our teams have plans for another full game. “Where to go next?” with such a project has been a question a lot of us have been asking, and we’d all love to hear your ideas."
This was our very first statement regarding anything on a new Mass Effect game. It was quite an exciting time for fans, and being a Mass Effect junkie myself, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t need a fresh pair of shorts that day.

eLZl9gd.png

Exactly one month later, BioWare Montreal producer Fabrice Condominas officially killed any idea that the new game would see a return of Commander Shepard, saying:
“There is one thing we are absolutely sure of—there will be no more Shepard, and the trilogy is over.”
Condominas continued to stress the universe and world of Mass Effect is indeed a rich one. Making a Shepard clone was not in the cards it seemed.
“This is really our starting point. Now the Mass Effect universe is vast, and very, very rich. So at this point in time, we don’t even know what kind of time frame we’re going to be in. All we’re doing is more gathering ideas from the teams, gathering feedback to see several things.”

“So first, we don’t want to make ‘Shepard 2′, or Mass Effect 4 with like, ‘oh there’s no more Shepard but you’re a soldier in the universe’. So this will be a very, very different context for sure, and nothing has been decided on the rest.”

rWUMjQj.png

Almost six months later, a retrospective Mass Effect panel was held at PAX East in Boston on March 23, 2013. The panel was in tribute to the recently concluded trilogy, which also happened to give out miniscule details on the new game.
“We are starting to get ready to develop another Mass Effect game, and it’s going to be a new thing,” shared executive producer Casey Hudson. “We want to be able to give fans an opportunity to get back into the world with these things you’ve come to know and love about the Mass Effect experience but start something fresh and new—a new way for you to explore the whole universe in Mass Effect.”

FHA0zZp.png

Obviously games in development are each powered by an engine that gives developers the tools to render what you see onscreen. The decision on what engine to use is made fairly early on in games development, and Mass Effect is no exception. With EA positioning Frostbite 3 as its flagship engine for its internal studios, making that a choice for the new game wasn’t exactly a startling revelation. It was nice to have a confirmation nonetheless thanks to general manager Aaryn Flynn.

6.png

The minimum that we can gather from this is that the thing is going to look downright gorgeous. Frostbite 3 is quite the capable engine (as seen here in a Battlefield 4 tech demo). Expect incredibly detailed characters as is typical in Bioware games, beautiful lighting and particle effects, and the capacity for large open-ended worlds.

VOnFx3i.png

Fresh opportunities are always at the forefront in the minds of developers when they’re starting fresh on a new game in a known IP. In May 2013, Official Xbox Magazine sat down with the folks at BioWare to discuss what direction the new game might take, including potential protagonists.
”There’s so much that could be told in the Mass Effect universe,” Hudson said. “It’d be cool to do something completely unrelated to the larger storyline, like a story about a private investigator on the Citadel. Or maybe something detailing Garrus’ time in C-Sec.”
Level designer Dusty Everman was also rooting for our popular avian-like squaddie:
“While being one of Shepard’s most loyal friends, Garrus has also had some of the most driven personal goals. He’s a hero in his own right, as Archangel and beyond. Who wouldn’t want to see the further adventures of the bold, charming Garrus Valkarian (there’s a lot of guns out there to calibrate).”
For his part, however, lead designer Preston Watamaniuk felt that,
“a game centered on brutal Krogan combat with more of a melee focus could be pretty exciting. I’m sure Grunt would be up for it.”
Lead writer Mac Walters was a little more conflicted:
“Aria. The Illusive Man. Kai Leng. Any henchman. The list goes on. I think most of them could have successful spin-offs of their own in some fashion.”
Finally, producer Michael Gamble felt like our lonely surviving Prothean friend could use some time in the spotlight, saying,
“Following the story of Javik a little bit more would be pretty cool. As the last remaining member of a lost race, I think that we could tell a lot of stories about his adventures in the Milky Way, and coming to terms with his place in the new Galaxy.”

ZjrqxtK.png

In the following month, studio director Yanick Roy had a question for fans:

123.png

‘When the game takes places (as in time period)' and ‘who the main protagonist is‘ were the two biggest requests received, Roy later noted. One thing we can extrapolate from this is that the debut trailer will likely reveal these two features of the game, and that’s not too surprising, as they’re two of the most important aspects of the game after all. Fans and the gaming media have been having conversations on whether it will indeed be a sequel or prequel. Given the story of Shepard has ended, a sequel wouldn’t be a ‘sequel’ in the official sense, but it would carry on in a period after the war with the Reapers.

vmQqUpM.png

In the same conversation, Roy also confirmed that the new game would indeed play in the same vein as the previous trilogy.

2.png

So we know for sure that it’ll play like the past games. It’ll be a third person shooter with exploration, RPG mechanics, dialogue systems, etc. What, you guys didn’t think they’d actually go through with that dating sim thing did you?

zWcm1bF.png

There was one last thing that was commented on before finishing the conversation. A series fan asked the studio director if same-sex relationships with other characters would still be in the new game in the same vein as the trilogy. No need to fret, said Roy:

3.png

yE9dEod.png

In a surprising tweet, former producer on Gears of War 3 and Gears of War: Judgment Chris Wynn announced that he had entered the fray as senior development director on the new game.

4.png

Looking back on it now, my immediate reaction would have been to question where the new game will go gameplay wise. However, a producer’s job is to bring together multiple facets of the various teams in the studio, coordinate effectively between them, manage budgets, and oversee overall efficiency. While a knee-jerk reaction, thinking the high octane, heavy action gameplay from the Gears of War series would now become meat and potatoes of this new Mass Effect isn’t too unreasonable, but there’s no need to worry. Developers are adaptive and their ways of thinking can change from game to game. The Gears of War games were excellent in their own right and are among my favorite of the last generation, but the essence of what makes Mass Effect the series that it is are the deep characters, wonderful lore, and allure of the open galaxy.

ZDYmUBk.png

We first started hearing of BioWare devs playing around in the new game a few months later in September. As always, producer Casey Hudson was happy to talk of the progress they’ve made:

5.png

So progress was coming along well. Being able to finally go into the game engine and run around in the world is an accomplishment, and things were heating up. Games in development routinely have ‘milestone reviews’. These reviews help establish the direction the game is taking and ensuring everything is on track to continue moving forward. Once again Hudson took to Twitter to give just a little tease.

7.png

Mass Effect-y indeed! In just under a year after it was first announced, substantial progress was being made on a consistent basis. Exciting!

o67TZOW.png

Be prepared to say goodbye to all your old pals and escapades as Shepard, according to lead writer Mac Walters. In an interview with Complex, any hopes to see Commander Shepard’s story or events surrounding him or her to be even touched upon are quick to be dashed.
“Well, I can’t get into details, but the idea is that we have agreed to tell a story that doesn’t relate necessarily to any of the Shepard events at all, whatsoever”, explained Walters.

"That’s what we’ve been deciding for a while. But throughout it all, one of the key things is that it has to be Mass Effect. It can’t just feel like a spin-off. It has to feel like a Mass Effect game at its heart, at its core. Just without the Shepard character or the Shepard specific companions.”

XNqlOmr.png

Image 1
With N7 day just around the corner, eager fans were salivating at any chance to get any snippet of information on the next game. Boy did BioWare deliver on that one! On November 7th, 2013, a slew of cryptic Mass Effect tweets were released to fans around the world. Let’s analyze them piece by piece.

The first to be tweeted was by producer Michael Gamble. “The next chapter of Mass Effect is upon us!!” he exclaimed to the picture seen here:

8.png

First thing’s first, what’s that in his hands? An Xbox 360 controller eh? Obviously our first thought would be to assume the game would at least be released on the Xbox 360 right? Not quite. We should note at the moment of publication of the tweet, the PC drivers for the Xbox One controller weren’t quite ready yet, and the 360 controller is the default when testing on PC units.

What seems apparent to me is that he is looking at the screen on the right, however, the image is cut off just enough to the point of obscurity. So what of the left? It becomes clear that the picture is in fact concept art, a desktop wallpaper. We can see a humanoid character standing in the center of the screen on what looks to be a command center or holodeck-like room. Peering out to the horizon, we see a dreary brown desert landscape, complete with dunes and hills. Could it possibly be one of the new planets we’ll get to land on in the new game?

Image 2
The next tweet is a lot more exciting. Sent out by our good chap Yanick Roy, it shows a developer working on some interesting concepts. “…with new characters to fall in love with…”, it reads.

9.png

On the left, we see 4 drawings of what appear to some type of hand-cannon. This is quite the reveal. Previous games in the series all featured your standard assault rifles, shotguns, pistols, etc. What these drawings showcase are new types of offensive weaponry. Each has a different form in the image. Perhaps we’ll get multiple types and be able to upgrade and customize these blasters to fit our gameplay styles. On the right, we can see a character that looks to be a human in a suit of armor. Is it our protagonist? Maybe…maybe not. The suit somewhat resembles Cerberus battle armor, but that’s pure speculation.

Image 3
We got another exciting one here! Tweeted out by level designer Gary Stewart, we catch a look into another environment.

10.png

Obviously another piece of concept art, we can use it to deduce some more snippets of information. You can see human figures walking near the bottom. The two in the front appear to be soldiers of some kind walking in water. The world appears dank and gloomy. However, something stands out with the one in the back. Notice the blue silhouette on his/her back? A little reminiscent of human husks wouldn’t you say? The character’s walk also seems strange compared to the two in front. It might be my imagination, but it almost looks like there’s an arch in the neck, with the arms clenched as if it were some form of zombie creature. It could very well just be another marine.

What does captures the eye right away in the larger part of the image is the tall structure in the center. Fungi-like in nature, it spirals upward in an almost insectoid manner. It even resembles a Reaper spire artifact as seen in previous games in the original trilogy. Does it have anything to do with the Reapers? Given the new game will reference nothing from past games, and given the fact the Reaper war is over, I’d say the chance of it being anything of Reaper origin is unlikely. Right, on to the next one!

Image 4
The next picture isn’t huge on the details, but we can at least determine facts about the setting. “…and new worlds to explore!” was tweeted by gameplay designer Manveer Heir.

111.png

We can tell it’s dark (no way!). A nightly stroll near a rocky outcrop? Massive rock structures dart the land in this piece of concept art. A part of a planet can also be gleaned from the background sky. Obviously this is a planet we’ll be able to land on, as detailed art like this isn’t made for nothing. What planet is this? Who calls it home? What’s our mission there? All unanswered questions at this point!

Image 5
Thought we were done? Not yet folks. Sent out by lead designer Ian Frazier, we get to see an old friend! Poor Mako…I do miss that floaty and…err, unweildy bugger. It’s the note that went along with the image that caught my attention though.

“…so we can draw inspiration for the future,”. Is that a hint?

12.png

That’s a Mako alright, but what does it mean? Drawing inspiration for the future game from past games, in this case, the Mako, indicates an intention to return to the more fleshed out exploration aspect of the original Mass Effect. In the previous trilogy, fans were a little dismayed at the limited scope of discovery and exploration in Mass Effect 2 and 3. Does signal a possibility of actually landed on planets, taking a vehicle for a ride and heading out into the unknown? Anything’s possible at this point, and frankly I’m out of my seat with excitement. I missed the ability to explore ancient ruins, abandoned military outposts, barren wastelands and tundras.

Final image
A fitting end to the series of tweets came by way of none other than Casey Hudson. We didn’t get a specific image to look over and analyze, but rather an overview shot of the studio at work (thanks everyone!).

“We continue working hard to create amazing new Mass Effect experiences for you. Happy N7 Day everyone!,” it read.

13.png

Alright, if I had the vision of a hawk, I might be able to discern exactly what’s on screen on the monitors in the back, but I’m no miracle worker here. What’s obvious right away is a menu shot there on the middle screen. Look familiar? That’s because it is. It shows the customization screen from Mass Effect 3‘s multiplayer mode. What does that tell us exactly? What’s most likely happening here are designers using the multiplayer from Mass Effect 3 as a reference point and building on to it. We’ll see large changes and updates for sure, but it’s clear that it’ll be a starting point for the next Mass Effect‘s multiplayer. We also know the new game will continue to implement the same post-release DLC as previous games, as noted in a job listing by BioWare.

I quite enjoyed the multiplayer myself so this is most welcome news.

LohxzR5.png

Here’s where things get interesting. In the deepest corners of the internet, on an obscure forum that has relatively low traffic, a very, very intriguing post was made (thanks EatChildren). Clicking on that sends you to a dead link, but that’s part of what’s so interesting. A few weeks before PAX East earlier this year, BioWare sent out invites to Mass Effect fans who wanted to see a little something fresh at the expo behind closed doors. Non-disclosure agreements were signed and things were kept hush-hush. I would know as I was actually sent one of these invites myself. The post was killed shortly after being posted, likely by a cease and desist order from EA. Why else would a random post on a small random site detailing what was seen at this gathering be nuked? Because it was most likely true information.

A brave soul who attended this panel decided to let the whole world in on what he/she saw (thanks for that whoever you are)! Here’s what we learned:

• The panel opened up with a question from BioWare: “What does N7 mean to you?”
  • They next asked if fans would like to see a sequel, prequel, or something else. The majority agreed a sequel was in order
  • Two new species were demonstrated. One was described as an “arrogant” race. Thin and skeletal in nature, they possess glowing eyes and necks that “frilled up from their chest”
  • The second was described as an “ancient, advanced, guardian” race. They looked very synthetic and resembled sci-fi rock golems with glowing lines over their bodies that looked like something out of Tron. Floating fragments also dotted around their body that itself had a color scheme similar to the Reapers
  • Multiple species were shown rendered in Frostbite 3: Asari, Salarian, Human, and Krogan
  • They intend to bring out uniqueness in model variety in the other species as they do with humans, giving them unique and diverse body and bone structure
  • Next, a lineup of series’ standard main races was shown. Fans were then asked what two races would they get rid if they were forced to, with the majority picking Quarians and Krogan
  • Multiple human armor configurations were then shown, and fans were asked what they deemed to be the most iconic.
  • Numerous land vehicles shown
  • Intention to focus heavily on characters and choices and the idea to bring back the focus on exploration and discovery, with a goal to bring back the feeling of being “a stranger in a strange like Mass Effect 1″
  • Various head configurations of Krogans shown with different face plating on the forehead, jaw line, and chin.
  • Desire to implement large amounts of customizable armor, down to different individual pieces, colors, textures, materials, etc
  • Experimentation with having a type of “debugging menu” in the game for picking plot flags when making a save file. This is so you can have the exact file you want without having to do another long playthrough

A5zh7AM.png

And that about wraps up everything we “know” about the next Mass Effect game at this point. When pressed for more last week, general manager Aaryn Flynn shot down any hopes of hearing or seeing more soon on Twitter.

14.png

This doesn’t come as a surprise really. Having just recently released a series of teaser photos last month, the chances of seeing even more new media of the game are slim to none. That leads me to my little points of speculation though!

llSWJp7.png

me1.jpg

2014 is no doubt a huge year for BioWare. The release of Dragon Age Inquisition happens in the fall, and we’ll start seeing marketing for it ratchet up intensely as launch closes in thanks to EA’s coffers. Work on their new IP (helmed by Casey Hudson’s team) is well under way, and new information and media on the next Mass Effect will start trickling out. Let’s take a look at previous announcement to launch schedules and see if we can extrapolate from there.

The original Mass Effect was formally announced in October 2005 and launched in November 2007. With Mass Effect 2, the very first details were revealed in March 2009 at GDC, with a release in January 2010. Finally, Mass Effect 3 was revealed at the Spike Video Game Awards in December 2010. The game then saw an information blowout via Game Informer the following May, with a gameplay debut at E3 2011. It was released in March 2012.

So let’s recap where we’re at with this one. It was formally announced last September. Fans were then asked what sort of information they’d like to see in a debut trailer in June of this year. Lastly, we were witness to the first teaser images of the game last month.

What events could possibly harbor new information? Quite a few in fact. As Aaryn Flynn noted, some time in 2014 is when we can expect more. Coincidentally, GDC 2014 is right around the corner in March. With Mass Effect 2 first revealed at GDC in 2009, it’s certainly a possibility to finally get more info there in a few months. I don’t feel that we’ll get more details on things related to the main character or story, but rather on the game’s engine tools, levels, environments, developer techniques, etc. The Game Developer’s Conference is mostly used by various studios to showcase technical aspects of their games as well as hold panels for up and coming developers.

As Yanick Roy asked earlier in the summer, details on the main character, setting of the game, etc will most likely be revealed in an official debut trailer. Fitting. The perfect place to finally blow the lid on it? E3 2014 of course.

So, here’s my projected outlook on what we’ll get:
  • March 2014: First details on the technical side of things at GDC
  • June 2014: Debut trailer at E3 2014
  • Late 2014/early 2015: Gameplay videos and other media start getting released
  • Spring 2015 or Fall 2015: Release
The release date prediction varies wildly as I don’t feel confident to really pinpoint an exact time. By Spring 2015, the game would be about 27-30 months in full development. Plenty of time considering the relative ease of use of the new Frostbite 3 engine. BioWare may feel they really need to make a huge splash with the first debut of Mass Effect on next generation consoles and call for even more time that results in a nicely polished game in the fall.

Whatever the case may be, it’s finally comforting to say we can expect more detailed information soon. The original was my top game of the last generation and left an impact on me and showed me what kind of experiences games can give me. I can’t wait to see where the next one takes us.

TheMan

lol at people being concerned over whether "relationships" will be in the game...video game romances are the lamest shit ever. I just hope bioware doesn't dumb down the game even further in pursuit of a larger audience.

also, good job OP, that's a lot of info.

Lead writer Mac Walters was a little more conflicted:

“Aria. The Illusive Man. Kai Leng. Any henchman. The list goes on. I think most of them could have successful spin-offs of their own in some fashion.”

eww super gross. The Garrus-type detective idea is a good one though. Smaller scale but rich with character interaction, that's what I want to see.

AlexBasch

lol at people being concerned over whether "relationships" will be in the game...video game romances are the lamest shit ever. I just hope bioware doesn't dumb down the game even further in pursuit of a larger audience.

I'm gonna blame the Tali fanboys.

See, it was fun and all having a romance with someone from your team, but people took it way too fucking seriously and it's supposed to be a game feature now? C'mon.

It was fun to romance Ashley in the first one, trying to convince her I didn't ask to be blown into pieces and reanimated like Jesus, then telling her to fuck off in 3 because I'm a slave of Miranda's ass now.

I almost believe the Bioware team trolled the Tali fanbase by doing the stock photo thing, like "we don't give a fuck".

Good post shinobi!

Wow, amazing write-up.
Mass Effect has become one of my favourite series this Generation.

I want only one thing for the Next Mass Effect and that's character creation á la Dragon Age:Origins.
God that would just be the most amazing thing.

MNC

This is more than I knew was available. As such, I am in complete hype mode now. Dear God, I hope it has Garrus. Either have Garrus, or do a completely new cycle.

Nice job collecting everything together Shinobi, there was a decent of information chunk I had missed out on.

“Well, I can’t get into details, but the idea is that we have agreed to tell a story that doesn’t relate necessarily to any of the Shepard events at all, whatsoever”, explained Walters.

"That’s what we’ve been deciding for a while. But throughout it all, one of the key things is that it has to be Mass Effect. It can’t just feel like a spin-off. It has to feel like a Mass Effect game at its heart, at its core. Just without the Shepard character or the Shepard specific companions.”

Very happy to read this. I thought the characters in the trilogy were great and memorable but I don't want to be hit over the head with anymore fanservice callbacks after ME3 and especially the Citadel DLC gave everyone their own proper sendoff.

Starting from scratch is exactly what I want.

spuit*11

Banned
Maybe next time they'll make it less of a generic cover-based shooter, moving from poorly designed murderroom to poorly designed murderroom.

Bring back some sort of that exploration mechanic (bouncy buggy), which was the only thing that made this universe feel like a universe instead of just a bunch of levels strung together by the most insipid plot imaginable.

Charleston

Neo Member
This is a good thread and read. I just hope they're allowed a decent development time to work out what they need too, that and some better writing and clear story in mind. Also couldn't hurt to work on a few other things, but I guess we'll see, the next game isn't instant buy unless I see some clear improvements on bioware's part.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hmm. I should try this series some time.

Mac Walters is the lead writer again?

Fuck this game many moons in advance.
Mac Walters isn't as big a problem as Bioware's tendency to not outline their trilogy plots in advance. Their writers are good at character stuff, but they have this really bad habit of setting things up without knowing where things will go. They also had this really bad tendency to make morally gray situations black and white in ME3, which undermined the earlier games.

Their habit of sticking with the same damn plot formula also doesn't help, because the whole "the galaxy is at stake" thing in the first trilogy made all the flaws in their approach a lot more noticeable.

Raptor

As a random thought but I hope the change of engine doesn't messed up the Charge/Melee/Shotun feeling of the Vanguard.

Best god damn thing about the game for me.

Charging all over the place was amazingly fun.

Heysoos

I'm afraid to pick up this franchise again. It sounds like I'm being over dramatic, but the ending of 3 hurt the franchise that bad for me.

See, it was fun and all having a romance with someone from your team, but people took it way too fucking seriously and it's supposed to be a game feature now? C'mon.

It was fun to romance Ashley in the first one, trying to convince her I didn't ask to be blown into pieces and reanimated like Jesus, then telling her to fuck off in 3 because I'm a slave of Miranda's ass now.

I almost believe the Bioware team trolled the Tali fanbase by doing the stock photo thing, like "we don't give a fuck".

Good post shinobi!

Indeed, although it was apparent upon completion that wasn't the only thing they didn't care about.

Good job though Shinobi.

I'm afraid to pick up this franchise again. It sounds like I'm being over dramatic, but the ending of 3 hurt the franchise that bad for me.

Agreed.

.GqueB.

Banned

I was terrible at it. I struck out with everyone and had to settle for Garrus in ME2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mac Walters being the lead writing is a weird thing, because it's likely but hasn't been outright confirmed, and Walters himself has said a few things that imply the situation isn't as cut-and-dry.

He's predominantly working on Foundation, which he clarified is the first time he's been able to sit down and fully pen a comic series free of bigger requirements at BioWare (though he may have already finished it). He's also stated that Montreal is still in the process of hiring with the aim of making the studio fully independent in all respects. And we know not too long ago Montreal was hiring for their own lead writer.

Walters has also clarified that he's working on Dragon Age: Inquisition. And given he's based at Edmonton (at least, I'm pretty sure), he'll probably have some influence on Edmonton's new IP too.

I'm not entirely convinced Walters is literally the lead writer of Mass Effect:_______, like he was on Mass Effect 2 and 3, so much as maybe more of a co-lead/advisory role as Drew Karpyshyn was on Mass Effect 2.

Also I really hope the music goes back to moody synths rather than cinematic orchestral stuff.

Yes! The moody synths make Mass Effect in my opinion...one of the reasons why I love the first game so much.

Whilst I'm not the biggest fan of ME3 I'm still looking forward to the new installment...just hoping they opt for a more personal focus (I'm done with the "save the universe" angle) so that places and characters can take centre stage again.....

Prologue

Good work OP.

Cautiously optimistic for two reason. One is because of Walters and two because of how they make the game sound. The Mass Effect series was really epic and I get the impression that they aren't going that route again.

It will be tough to fill femme Shep's shoes for me. I really liked her actor a lot. At least with the first game's script her performance was some of my favorite videogame VA ever.

Also I really hope the music goes back to moody synths rather than cinematic orchestral stuff.

This so much.

As EatChildren said, it hasn't been 100% confirmed that Walters is lead writer again. He's definitely working on it, but working on a slew of other projects too.

I finally had a chance to give the series a go, having played part of the first one a long time ago for a bit on a 360 and then the demo for the third. Actually, I got all three games over the past few months through various sales (Origin Humble Bundle, etc.) but only just started playing through it a few weeks ago.

From what the experience has been so far, it's been very enjoyable and seems to go well with a recent choice to start watching Star Trek: The Next Generation (which is the first Star Trek series I've actually sat down to watch). Minus some of the crashing issues, which I've mostly fixed (Windows XP Service Pack 2 comparability mode) and the high-res texture mod it's quite a good looking game. Too bad the gamepad support is non-existent for the first game (without key-mapping program) or I'd be playing it on my projector.

Hopefully they improve upon the issues I noticed in just the demo for 3 alone, especially that awful running animation.

Astrates

Amazing post! I can't wait for more news and of course the game itself. Mass Effect remains my favourite series and the prospect of a new one makes me ecstatic.

Jibbed

Incredible post, I read every word!

I honestly can't wait to see what Bioware's got up their sleeve for the next ME, it sounds like they're on the right track at least.

Mac Walters being the lead writing is a weird thing, because it's likely but hasn't been outright confirmed, and Walters himself has said a few things that imply the situation isn't as cut-and-dry.

He's predominantly working on Foundation, which he clarified is the first time he's been able to sit down and fully pen a comic series free of bigger requirements at BioWare (though he may have already finished it). He's also stated that Montreal is still in the process of hiring with the aim of making the studio fully independent in all respects. And we know not too long ago Montreal was hiring for their own lead writer.

Walters has also clarified that he's working on Dragon Age: Inquisition. And given he's based at Edmonton (at least, I'm pretty sure), he'll probably have some influence on Edmonton's new IP too.

I'm not entirely convinced Walters is literally the lead writer of Mass Effect:_______, like he was on Mass Effect 2 and 3, so much as maybe more of a co-lead/advisory role as Drew Karpyshyn was on Mass Effect 2.

...yes...YES!

Dropping the whole dark matter plot in favour of star child was a huge mistake, I wish Drew hung around for ME2/3.

kennah

Do we know if anything will be imported from saves? I hope not. Finally getting rid of my xbox after I finish Me3

If it was 2007 Bioware id be a lot more pumped for the new ME, But this Bioware that make tripe like DA2/ME3/TOR whilst being backed by dEAdline publishers make me just not as interested as I once would have been, Also the gears of war producer coming aboard doesn't bode well for those wanting pure RPG experience.

The way they left Shepard under some rubble while telling us to further that legend through dlc still leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Fantastic work, Shinobi. Mass Effect was the single most important franchise for me this past generation. I truly hope it can carry over well into this new generation, expanding and improving in the process.

Kai Leng had a spinoff. It was called Mass Effect Deception, and it was the worst.

Good times, though. In no small part to your efforts.

I remain cautiously optimistic. As long as you don't jump on the hype train, and have realistic expectations, I expect to enjoy the next game.

Until then, I'm hoping to be surprised by this generation's game that takes me to the same place the original Mass Effect took me last generation.

Wow great OP. Must have been a lot of work to put together. My wishlist

1. It must be completely playable as a offline single player game. I love Mass Effect but if they Destinyize it (ie grudgingly allow a solo playthrough but require it to be online at all times behind a paywall) they can say goodbye to me and I'd wager a lot of fans. If they force co-op only without the option for a single player experience that's even worse.

2.. I'd prefer a sequel. There's a lot more open ended options available and you're not constrained by the original trilogy.

3. I'd like them to pick a canon ending from the original games or completely make the choices from them not matter. It should be a fresh start with a clean slate otherwise things could get too complicated.

4. The plot needs to be smaller without any massive galaxy destroying threat. It was way overdone by ME3 and there were times I felt embarrassed for my Sheperd's messiah complex. A personal plot with regular enemies would work well. Just make the protagonist interested in making money or something instead of saving the galaxy.

5. Focus a lot more on exploration and discovery. Adding a limited spaceflight/combat component would work wonders.

6. Keep combat at least as tight as it was in ME3. Add some truly alien weapons instead of the universal projectile weapons.

7. Keep the morality system of ME3. It was the best in the series.

8. Allow an alien protagonist.

From what I've heard I'm actually pretty confident that 2-8 will be delivered someway. I'm worried that 1 is the one they'll fail to deliver and that Frank "I want every game online" Gibeau will have his way with yet another EA game.

Xiaoki

Is this supposed to be some kind of ironic joke post?

If you dont like romance options then dont play BioWare games.

If you dont like games being dumbed down in pursuit of a larger audience then dont play BioWare games.

Top Bottom