• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of 25 years of Demon Summoning, GAF Plays: The (Shin) Megami Tensei series

cj_iwakura

Just took my first shot at Lizzie, P3 Vanilla style.

[Attack for ~90 damage]
-Two attacks, 900+ each
[saved by Idol]
[Armageddon]
-Diarahan, Megidolaon(9999)
[Dead.]

Wasn't really prepared, just taking a shot. Next time I go in ready.

cj_iwakura

Okay. That was a fun hour.

In all likelihood, here's Team Elizabeth Must Die(for me):

Satan
Maragidyne/Growth 3/Die For Me!/Repel Light/Black Viper/Morning Star/Absorb Slash/High Counter

Lucifer
God's Hand/Maragidyne/Absorb Slash/Victory Cry/Salvation/Morning Star/Growth 3/Invigorate 3

Shiva
Maziodyne/Enduring Soul/Sexy Dance/Matarukaja/Pralaya/Invigorate 3/Victory Cry/Auto-Rakukaja

Raphael (Str Ice)
Deathbound/Auto-Maraku/Null Charm/Fire Amp/Growth 3/High Counter/Mediarahan/Tempest Slash

Thor
Ziodyne/Gigantic Fist/High Counter/Invigorate 1/Evil Smile/Dekunda/Mind Charge/Auto-Mataru

Trumpeter
Mudoon/Growth 3/High Counter/Mahamaon/Mamudoon/Mabufudyne/Ice Break/Null Slash

Ananta
Hamaon/Growth 3/Dekunda/High Counter/Diarahan/Evade Pierce/Sexy Dance/Invigorate 1

Messiah (w/item)
Megidolaon/Salvation/Regeneration 3/Die For Me!/1hSwd Master/Charm Boost(!?)/Invigorate 3/Absorb Pierce

Vishnu
Akasha Arts/Ziodyne/Elec Boost/Growth 3/Mind Charge/Marakunda/God's Hand/Salvation

Michael(Resist Wind/Elec)
Maziodyne/Mediarahan/Growth 3/Apt Pupil/Mind Charge/Marakakarn/High Counter/Magarudyne

Kaiwan(Resist Ice/Fire)
Virus Breath/Spirit Drain/Evade Pierce/Maragion/Growth 3/High Counter/Mind Charge/Invigorate 2

Anubis
Mahamaon/Mamudoon/Growth 3/High Counter/Null Ice/Makarakarn/Regenerate 3/Repel Elec
(Yeah, using him would be suicide. Fusion fodder.)

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Now that I'm done with P4G, I'm thinking about starting Devil Survivor 2. Absolutely loved the shit out of the first game. How does the sequel stand up?

cj_iwakura

Now that I'm done with P4G, I'm thinking about starting Devil Survivor 2. Absolutely loved the shit out of the first game. How does the sequel stand up?

Better gameplay, story's not nearly as good, but it has its moments, and an amazing cast(arguably better than DS1's).

cj_iwakura

I've got you now, Lizzie. I survive EVERYTHING with no problem.

...except the stream of Hama/Mudo. I need to farm Homunculi, stat. Any good areas?

So I was thinking of having my next RPG be Persona 4 for Vita, but I was trying to decide if I should play 1-3 first.

I've never played a Shin Megami Tensei game before. Should I play Persona 1, 2, or 3? Or Just go for 4?

Edit: Is there a better SMT game on PSN I should play instead?

So I was thinking of having my next RPG be Persona 4 for Vita, but I was trying to decide if I should play 1-3 first.

I've never played a Shin Megami Tensei game before. Should I play Persona 1, 2, or 3? Or Just go for 4?

Edit: Is there a better SMT game on PSN I should play instead?

You can jump straight into P4 now. If when your finished, then I recommend P3FES on Ps2 or P3P. If after your still interested, try to hunt down avd play a copy of SMT Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1&2 and Raidou 2.

Speaking of Raidou, when I first played P4 I was certain that Naoto was related to Raidou. Any merit to that thought?

cj_iwakura

This week has been hell. I got Lizzie to 9,788 this morning and lost to a fluke crit.

So now I retrofitted my Persona with Sharp Student.

I swear, she dies today.

Heropon

That Joker Noriko was a real *$%&. Just when I was going to finish her, an ice multitarget spell appears from nowhere and almost kills my party (Baofu died ;_;).

MVP: Katsuya with Mars and that Towering Inferno fusion spell.

randomkid

Man, I'm totally stuck in my SMT1 playthrough. According to the walkthrough Ozawa's chillin in the Yakuza offices and is supposed to summon Takeminikata but he just keeps telling me to come back at another time. I've seen the paralyzed Messiah so I'm not sure what's going on. I'm on neutral route if it helps, any vets know what to do?

Edit: Here, visual evidence:

fdvnL.png

Edit #2: Well, after a lot of googling I discovered that I had missed talking to someone in a disco. Then I had to get rid of the gushing jar I got (apparently out of order?) in order to finally fight. So obtuse! I hate googling for this stuff cuz I'm terrified of spoilers, annoying.

Heropon

Is Baofu supposed to be my weakest party member in EP? I mean, he isn't bad, but his stats are pretty mediocre and the SP are low.

Heropon

I never had a problem with him, but I use anyone who isn't Tatsuya and Maya for support anyway.

Well, right now (Smile Hirasaka), Maya and Katsuya are my favourite characters by far (high TEC/STR and SP). I love them, but I should start thinking about giving Katsuya another Persona, but Mars has been pretty good so far.

Is Baofu supposed to be my weakest party member in EP? I mean, he isn't bad, but his stats are pretty mediocre and the SP are low.

I always keep an Emperor/World/Rod persona at hand when I'm leveling up Baofu so that his TEC doesn't lag behind too much. Besides, I think Tatsuya is the worst party member anyway.

Well, right now (Smile Hirasaka), Maya and Katsuya are my favourite characters by far (high TEC/STR and SP). I love them, but I should start thinking about giving Katsuya another Persona, but Mars has been pretty good so far.

Did you get Nata in Aoba park? Cuz he's pretty amazing.

Heropon

I always keep an Emperor/World/Rod persona at hand when I'm leveling up Baofu so that his TEC doesn't lag behind too much. Besides, I think Tatsuya is the worst party member anyway.

Interesting you mention it, I have Baofu with Melchsedec right now, let's see how his TEC grows. I wonder what stat spread Tatsuya has for you to say that...

Did you get Nata in Aoba park? Cuz he's pretty amazing.

Yes.

Interesting you mention it, I have Baofu with Melchsedec right now, let's see how his TEC grows. I wonder what stat spread Tatsuya has for you to say that...

I don't base my judgment on his stat spread, it has everything to do with the fact that he's pretty much a carbon copy of his brother and adds very little to the Personae pool when you get him. And Apollo is garbage tier.

Stats don't matter when you get to the final dungeon and start farming ALL Incenses anyway.

Ugh now I wanna start another playthrough, thanks :(

Jawmuncher

Was wondering did Altus saying Anything about us getting Persona 2 on PSN?
I know there's no chance in hell well get the PSP version but what about a PS1 Classics release? It's be a nice gesture and would let me complete being able to play all the games on the go.

Heropon

I don't base my judgment on his stat spread, it has everything to do with the fact that he's pretty much a carbon copy of his brother and adds very little to the Personae pool when you get him. And Apollo is garbage tier.

Stats don't matter when you get to the final dungeon and start farming ALL Incenses anyway.

Ugh now I wanna start another playthrough, thanks :(

You're welcome!

Yeah, I was thinking earlier if Katsuya and Tatsuya's compatible Personas would be too similar. Thanks for the answer.

You're welcome!

Yeah, I was thinking earlier if Katsuya and Tatsuya's compatible Personas would be too similar. Thanks for the answer.

Going through Seventh HS right now :| Thank god for stockpiled tarot cards after 5 playthroughs (10 FOOL cards yo)

I wish I could do a Let's Play of this game, it's pretty much the one game that I know by heart.

Heropon

Undersea Ruins done! The boss in there has reminded me of the awesomeness that would be having Affectionate Prayer to get the multitarget buffs. I'm not a fan of using two character's five turns to have decent MDEF/DEF, so that means that it's time to grind in Kasugayama to get Izanami's material card!

About the story:
There's going to be another spaceship in this game??? Nyarlathotep may be effective, but all his plans end with spaceships, legendary weapons and WWII historical fiction's machine soldiers.

NichM

Banned
That's for the P4A or "Where the fuck is Kaneko?!?!" threads.

This reminded me! I couldn't say anything at the time because Soul Hackers wasn't announced yet, but Kaneko definitely still works for Atlus. We know because we had to get his approval for a few things in the game. Your guess is as good as mine what he's up to these days, though.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
For some reason I gave up on Persona 2 in the Undersea Ruins. Can't remember why, place seemed easy to get lost in and I randomly lost interest.

This reminded me! I couldn't say anything at the time because Soul Hackers wasn't announced yet, but Kaneko definitely still works for Atlus. We know because we had to get his approval for a few things in the game. Your guess is as good as mine what he's up to these days, though.

Today is a good day.

randomkid

New threads for new news NichM.

(this is pretty shocking, part of me was looking forward to what would result from freelance Kaneko, what's the future for him look like at the company if he's not on SMT4?)

cj_iwakura

I'm very glad to hear that. What do you need his approval for, though?
(And why the heck isn't he art lead on SMT IV?)

Undersea Ruins done! The boss in there has reminded me of the awesomeness that would be having Affectionate Prayer to get the multitarget buffs. I'm not a fan of using two character's five turns to have decent MDEF/DEF, so that means that it's time to grind in Kasugayama to get Izanami's material card!

About the story:
There's going to be another spaceship in this game??? Nyarlathotep may be effective, but all his plans end with spaceships, legendary weapons and WWII historical fiction's machine soldiers.

There's a reason why stuff is repeating itself in a same-ish manner, keep playing :)

Heropon

Reached the Torifune. I suppose this isn't the last dungeon as my characters aren't level 55 yet (except this Tatsuya kid) and I think I'm more or less at the same point in the game as Caracol was in IS.

About the story:
At first, I thought that at the end of IS, the timeline where Maya dies was erased, but it seems that the "other side" exists at the same time with a few survivors. They must not be pretty happy...

Obviously he's working on pre-production for Raidou 3. :p

jorgeton

Oh praise the sun. This sort of made my day.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I hope SMT4 lets you fuse demons anywhere at anytime, would be a major downgrade from SJ if you need to go to specific places to fuse demons.

I hope SMT4 lets you fuse demons anywhere at anytime, would be a major downgrade from SJ if you need to go to specific places to fuse demons.

That'd be cool but I'd rather walk then let the game randomly select which skills will be passed on to the fused demon (P4G and Overclocked did it right)

cj_iwakura

Yeah, that fight was hell when I first played IP. I call them the
Innocent Sin Trio
for a reason. :p

Reached the Torifune. I suppose this isn't the last dungeon as my characters aren't level 55 yet (except this Tatsuya kid) and I think I'm more or less at the same point in the game as Caracol was in IS.

About the story:
At first, I thought that at the end of IS, the timeline where Maya dies was erased, but it seems that the "other side" exists at the same time with a few survivors. They must not be pretty happy...

There's not exactly a lot of people left.

Soul Hackers let you do this too, though you get wildly different presentation from the portable version. And no Victor.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
That'd be cool but I'd rather walk then let the game randomly select which skills will be passed on to the fused demon (P4G and Overclocked did it right)

It was ok in SJ, because you get demon sources up the wazoo and it's stupid easy to get your demon with the skills you want, infact it's easier than in SMT3.

I had demons in SJ without weaknesses and stacked with overpowered skills fairly easy, whereas in SMT3 that meant hours upon hours of selecting/deselecting in the fusion screen to get the skills I wanted.

I don't know if I want total control over skill inheritance, wouldn't that break the game? I imagine P4G has to be a complete cake compared to the original.

TheContact

I'm really getting into Persona 4 Golden on the Vita. I haven't been sucked into an RPG like this since FFX. For fans of the series, besides 4, what is the next game I should try out?

cj_iwakura

It was ok in SJ, because you get demon sources up the wazoo and it's stupid easy to get your demon with the skills you want, infact it's easier than in SMT3.

I had demons in SJ without weaknesses and stacked with overpowered skills fairly easy, whereas in SMT3 that meant hours upon hours of selecting/deselecting in the fusion screen to get the skills I wanted.

I don't know if I want total control over skill inheritance, wouldn't that break the game? I imagine P4G has to be a complete cake compared to the original.

Judging from the absurdly broken Trumpeters I've seen, safe bet.

P4 was always an easy game though.

Is it built around that feature unlike P4G though? "Unbalanced" is a game quality condemnation that swings both ways.

I like what the Jakyou Manor/Cathedral of Shadows/Igor's Place from a narrative perspective gives. Note also in SMT3 it's two clicks away from any terminal plus a short jog. I found I missed those in SJ.

Top Bottom