• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of 25 years of Demon Summoning, GAF Plays: The (Shin) Megami Tensei series

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm on the fifth day of Devil Survivor: Overclocked. I swore off playing any other handheld game until I finished this, but man is it taking forever.

The fight with Kudlak kind of sucked because my people are so high leveled that they would take him out in one skirmish.

randomkid

Aghhh, I have this ridiculous need to start SMT2 right now. So, two questions:

1) How long is SMT2 relative to SMT1? Howlongtobeat.com does not appear to be helpful.
2) What are the bugs I should be looking out for (spoiler free please). I had no idea the minefield I unwittingly navigated with SMT1 and would be livid if I was unable to progress like so many sad GameFAQs posters.

Speaking of which, this thread made me laugh for like a minute and then feel a little sad but also nostalgic in that GameFAQs apparently hasn't changed a single bit in the last 10 years.

Sallokin

I'm on the fifth day of Devil Survivor: Overclocked. I swore off playing any other handheld game until I finished this, but man is it taking forever.

The fight with Kudlak kind of sucked because my people are so high leveled that they would take him out in one skirmish.

Just hit Day 7 myself and I'm stuck on the first fight of that day. Don't feel like grinding it out lol.

Trojita

rhlHdNW.gif

nexttoofcourse

Neo Member
Soulless Army is being reprinted, I think. On amazon.ca, a seller says he's getting a shipment of the first Raidou game on February 28. I sent them an email, asking if they got the listing confused with Soul Hackers, since it was priced at $40. They replied with:

Hi [redacted],

Atlus is doing a reprint on this game for their 3DS Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers.
This is also why we will get the PS2 game back in stock only by the end of February.

Hope this answers the question!

Please feel free to place your order now to reserve your copy!

and after I asked them whether it was a reprint or if they got a shipment of old games, they said:

Atlus is doing a reprint.... limited copies!
For the case, Atlus will get whatever Sony provides them with. It is all up to Sony.
As for the user manual & slip sleeve, they will be the ones from 2006/2007.
The disc will be made new but Atlus has not changed any art on it.

I've been trying to find a reasonably priced copy of this game since August, but it's always around $70-$80 used. So this is pretty exciting! To me! But it's also kinda confusing? There haven't been any press releases about a reprint like there were with the Etrian Odyssey games last month. Also, in contradistinction to the EO games, the PS2 SMTs aren't playable on a console that's currently for sale, but I could definitely still see it selling enough to make a reprint worthwhile.

I don't see any other sellers trying to shill the game, which is weird and is making me feel cautious about this being a misunderstanding. Also, nothing about Raidou 2, but the ebay prices for that were significantly lower, so maybe Atlus didn't feel the need for a reprint?

Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere on GAF, I haven't seen anything about it though.

Jucksalbe

Banned
It would be pretty great if it got a reprint. The game seems to be pretty expensive in both the NA and PAL version nowadays.
But as long as I don't see this advertised anywhere else, I'm skeptical this is true. Also, I'd guess if they did a reprint, they would do the same for the sequel and I don't see anything about that even on amazon.ca.

Soriku

A reprint would be interesting...but I don't want to play a highly inferior game after playing the masterpiece that is Raidou 2...

Raidou 3 please. For HD consoles (yeah right...) or 3DS.

Aeana

I used to think Raidou 1's story was superior, but I replayed it over the summer and I couldn't believe how dumb the last part was. Really. Good lord.

Varna

Replaying SMT: SJ. It's not as bad as I remember. Though all the exposition is still terrible. Jesus I wish there was some way to filter through all the sci-fi no-sense. I still have no idea how people consider this one of the harder SMT entries. Battles are not difficult and dungeons involve absolutely no thought. Explore as much as you can, warp to entrance to heal/gear up. Rinse and repeat. Anything that can be considered a puzzle is just straight up given away. Just feels like EO without the cool mapping function (which would have made total sense if it HAD been in SJ).

I will finish it this time though. Even though the story is a bit obvious with it's message I'm curious were it all will go. I love the visuals too and the music is awesome (something new never hurts). Best incarnation of the demon recruiting system as well. That might have something to do with the localization being top notch though. Conversations actually make sense now! It's not my favorite SMT, but it's definitely filling the void until Etrian Odyssey and Soul Hackers come out.

randomkid

Haha now I really wanna play Raidou 1 cuz I remember the story being charming and enjoyable but not much else about it and certainly nothing about the ending.

Also, come on bros, SMT2 game length, is it really 70 hours like howlongtobeat says? Is it twice as long as SMT1 or something? I need to know if I can squeeze it in, help a brother out! All I see is a whole bunch of Aeana posts linked in the OP that I'm not looking at until I beat the game.

cj_iwakura

Haha now I really wanna play Raidou 1 cuz I remember the story being charming and enjoyable but not much else about it and certainly nothing about the ending.

Also, come on bros, SMT2 game length, is it really 70 hours like howlongtobeat says? Is it twice as long as SMT1 or something? I need to know if I can squeeze it in, help a brother out! All I see is a whole bunch of Aeana posts linked in the OP that I'm not looking at until I beat the game.

No way. Took me 20-30, give or take.

Coming fresh off SMT1 & 2, I loved it.

The SMT1&2 callbacks were neat, but I'd much rather play Raidou 2 again and leave 1 on the shelf.

Replaying SMT: SJ. It's not as bad as I remember. Though all the exposition is still terrible. Jesus I wish there was some way to filter through all the sci-fi no-sense. I still have no idea how people consider this one of the harder SMT entries. Battles are not difficult and dungeons involve absolutely no thought. Explore as much as you can, warp to entrance to heal/gear up. Rinse and repeat. Anything that can be considered a puzzle is just straight up given away. Just feels like EO without the cool mapping function (which would have made total sense if it HAD been in SJ).

Maybe not thought, but it definitely helps to be paying attention in Eridanus.

Soulhouf

I will finish it this time though. Even though the story is a bit obvious with it's message I'm curious were it all will go. I love the visuals too and the music is awesome (something new never hurts). Best incarnation of the demon recruiting system as well. That might have something to do with the localization being top notch though. Conversations actually make sense now! It's not my favorite SMT, but it's definitely filling the void until Etrian Odyssey and Soul Hackers come out.

I really liked Strange Journey.
The story was dumb in the beginning but toward halfway through the game the developers remembered they were building SMT game, so the story got interesting in some point. I just wish they pushed more in that direction because there were very cool materials to do it.

That game for sure was my favorite megami tensei since Nocturne.

Trojita

Is their a power tier in the SMT Universe?

Because The MC in Devil Survivor seems like he'd be one of the strongest in the universe.

Onemic

So how good are:

SMT
SMT II
Persona
Persona 2
SMT If...

Been thinking about getting these for my Vita. If only Nocturne was ported to the vita as well....

randomkid

Ha, didn't really occur to me that if SMT3 got a Vita port the entirety of SMT and Persona mainline would be playable on one system.

Although thinking about it, same thing is already true of Japanese PS2.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I got Last Bible III today. I just had to buy it once I realized there's an SFC Last Bible game, somehow I never knew about this (even though I even added to title to the OP's summary).

Anyone really played much of this (Link1110?)? Is it any good? I never played any of the Last Bible games, how do they compare to the mainline games?

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Is their a power tier in the SMT Universe?

Because The MC in Devil Survivor seems like he'd be one of the strongest in the universe.

I loved that game but don't remember what made him all that powerful. Can you remind me behind some spoiler tags?

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
And Devil Survivor MC:

takes on God, much like Hitoshura.

Thanks. I got every ending in that game and I didn't remember that. My memory when it comes to media is terrible. That does make me want to play my copy of overclocked again though.

randomkid

Well, SMT4's early release has really forced my hand, so I decided I needed to push Soul Hackers until the end of the year in order to beat SMT2 first and clear the main series. Pretty happy with my choice though as the first hour of SMT2 has already grabbed me and Soul Hackers has that handy scene replay feature which will allow me to jump back just fine when I'm ready for some 90s internet goodness.

All I've done so far is fight some virtual battles, recruit a High Pixie, and wander around a dungeon I apparently wasn't supposed to be at yet (some scientist in a basement lab seems like he's up to no good) on the way to the colosseum. It's crazy though how much music I recognize. I don't know whether these songs were used in SMT1, SMT3, Imagine, Raidou or what but it's all super familiar. Spent longer than I expected going through the tracklist at the disco.

Also: A scene I'll probably end up becoming familiar with, at least at this early stage:

bPOWPUv.png

fBhPUi7.png

Music here sounds just as nice as it did in Nocturne!

Soulhouf

I was browsing my PSN games and I started a new game in Shin Megami Tensei I.
That was actually a big mistake, because I got sucked into the game again and didn't quit before 3 hours ._.

This reminds me how perfect the PS1 version is. A 3DS port would be really awesome. Please Atlus...

randomkid

The music outside of the factory in SMT2 is so good! I just wish it didn't loop so quickly. Seems so weird that this game came out just a couple weeks before FFVI, feels much more primitive in comparison. My other favorite song is the disco theme.

Bout to rescue the heroine from prison and just discovered that demons can inherit abilities this time. Had to let my angel go so I could fuse another one with Tarukaja. Having so much fun with this.

randomkid

Double posting but holy crap the heroine's stats are terrible! Level 18 and 48 HP, what?? I wish Nadja hadn't fused with her, this almost feels like a glitch or something, I wanna keep the girl who knows Mediarama and has 220 HP!

randomkid

I know this thread is super dead but I don't care, this needs to be recorded for posterity.

NUrGhPr.png

Gonna go listen to some Sonic music I suppose in honor of stumbling on the King out of nowhere. This is why I am so crazy about spoiler avoidance haha.

Also I was wrong, LET'S DANCIN' made it in the English version, that's what's up!

randomkid

I just beat this dude and IT FEELS GREAT.

IDgk7KD.png

Will stop bumping this thread now, was only posting to keep track for myself. Next on my queue, lots and lots of amazing Kaneko art, can't waaaaaaaait

cj_iwakura

I just beat this dude and IT FEELS GREAT.

IDgk7KD.png

Will stop bumping this thread now, was only posting to keep track for myself. Next on my queue, lots and lots of amazing Kaneko art, can't waaaaaaaait

I found Satan to be much harder. Yahweh is just an endurance trial.

Top Bottom