• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of 30 years of Demon Summoning, GAF Plays: The (Shin) Megami Tensei series

I just noticed there's no mention of SMT Nine here. I don't know much about the game since I've never played it, but one thing I do know is the game has a great soundtrack. So I'm gonna post some of my favorites.

Kichijoji 1
Ueno
Battle (L Chaos)
Roppongi
Battle (L Neutral)
Shop
Shinjuku

NINE has some smooth stuff that makes me want to relax. Changing the battle theme to match your alignment was a nice idea.

I'm partial to Shinjuku, Harajuku, Battle (D Law), Battle (L Law), and Heaven (Link unavailable).

I'm in the Shinjuku Basement mall in SMT, and I've only ever successfully recruited a demon one time (it was Pixie). Now that my Cerberus split, I'm completely without help outside of my main heroes. Can I get some tips for demon negotiation, or is it completely random?

randomkid

I'm in the Shinjuku Basement mall in SMT, and I've only ever successfully recruited a demon one time (it was Pixie). Now that my Cerberus split, I'm completely without help outside of my main heroes. Can I get some tips for demon negotiation, or is it completely random?

Raise your INT a bit!

Just had a Fusion Accident when I was trying to make a Barong for Shiva and I got Rangda instead in SMT4A. It's not a huge loss since I was going to need Rangda sooner or later, but I already have Rangda in my compendium while I've never made Barong.

Always save before an important fusion, summoners.

Raise your INT a bit!

Yep! Also keep in mind that conversations usually follow a pattern based on demon race - it diverges sometimes if your INT is really low, but after getting it up a bit, you should be smooth sailing. You're still early enough that you can adjust your playstyle. Get used to rotating demons - the key to some dungeons is recruiting some new ones in there so that you can avoid some more obnoxious encounters if you want.

Just some additional advice spoilered in case you don't want it.

Also get something that knows Zio. Azumis should start popping up soon and they have it. Zio is pretty overpowered early on - it regularly will stun an enemy, costing them a turn.

Also get something that knows Zio. Azumis should start popping up soon and they have it. Zio is pretty overpowered early on - it regularly will stun an enemy, costing them a turn.

Or Bufu. Jack Frost hangs out in the Shinjuku underground. The long term goal with this is going to be getting a gun that hits all enemy targets+ one of the various bullets that stun the enemy. That'll have you set for the majority of what the game has to throw at you.

Yep! Also keep in mind that conversations usually follow a pattern based on demon race - it diverges sometimes if your INT is really low, but after getting it up a bit, you should be smooth sailing. You're still early enough that you can adjust your playstyle. Get used to rotating demons - the key to some dungeons is recruiting some new ones in there so that you can avoid some more obnoxious encounters if you want.

Or Bufu. Jack Frost hangs out in the Shinjuku underground. The long term goal with this is going to be getting a gun that hits all enemy targets+ one of the various bullets that stun the enemy. That'll have you set for the majority of what the game has to throw at you.

Thanks, everyone. I'm currently trying to save the Heroine, and I still only have a Kobold in my party...Let's hope I can figure this shit out before long.

Dokie Okie

Neo Member
Finished DDS2 earlier this year. I have both Persona 5 and SMT4:A in my backlog. Then there's Strange Journey. I also have the Raidou games. I sometimes think about replaying Nocturne as well...

I'll report back in, like, 2050.

After not finishing Persona 4 way back when it was new on PS2, I'm returning to it now, though I'm playing Golden instead now.

I had managed to forget this ever happened.

oWK6peE.jpg

B3LOS39.jpg

I wish I hadn't remembered!

I started replaying Nocturne. There's a big painting in the hospital lobby depicting a spiral, the first instance of a visual motif. You can also see the hospital's parking lot, some buildings, and cars driving by outside of a few windows.

Okay guys what's the best way to kill Lucifer, in Devil Survivor 1?

Right now my human team is
Mari
Kaido
Naota
MC - Currently lvl 46, I mainly put points into Magic, thinking I might add to Strength, then some in Vit to reach 999 with life surge.

For demons I know I'll have
Amaterasu - Healer
Metatron
Remiel

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I really need to give the Raidou games a shot. Though fan-patching the old Megami Tensei games might be interesting just to get the flavor

I don't want to overcommit like I did in the FF thread. I would love to get back to Devil Survivor which I am fairly early in but it wasn't blowing me away or start TMS.

Some more SMT iOS questions:

I've been told in this thread that Jack Frost should be available somewhere in Shinjuku, but I've somehow *never* seen him. I do have Pyro Jack, though. Where can I find Jack Frost? edit: nvm--Jack Frost acquired!

Is MAG management something I should actively worry about in this game? I only have three demons summoned, currently, so it hasn't been an issue yet, but is this something I'll have to be frugal about later on?

How can I purchase new guns? The Antique Store didn't have them available in the first area, and I'm not seeing any vendors for them in Shinjuku.

Laputa_94

iuJFubdl.jpg

I beat Persona 5 last night. Ended up at 125 hours at the end at lvl 95 (Thanks to endgame reaper farming). I loved it. The game was exactly what I wanted it to be in terms of being another Persona that had the quality of life that has been introduced in previous SMT games. I usually find the setting of more Traditional SMT games to more interesting, but I can never help but get heavily invested in the characters in Persona (at least in this modern Trilogy, I have yet to play 1+2 which I know are very different). Plus that soundtrack, Hearing Rivers in the Desert for the first time was amazing, it is probably my favorite song in on the soundtrack. Here is a (link) (its a pretty late game song so be warned if your like me and don't want to be spoiled on music.)

I'm currently in NG+ with the intention of slowly working my way to the Platinum since I already have the majority of the trophies along with 92% of the compendium done (despite not getting all the demons I wanted). I don't know what the next SMT game will be that I play, but I'm considering either Starting either the Devil Summoner PS2 games or Digitial Devil Saga.

I played more Nocturne. The Conception took place and our devil boy awoke reborn on a hospital bed after ingesting some larval critter. The hospital was more of a breeze than usual as I recruited everything except a Preta effortlessly.

Soul: "What!? You're going to defeat Forneus!? Hahaha... Yeah, right! I'll give you all my money if you can do that."

One boss fight later...

Soul: "Dammit."

>You obtained 850 Macca.

Devil boy bug eater exits the hospital to a chaotic desert wasteland. The sand is raked with zen garden ripples, continuing the spiral motif as well as elegantly doubling down on chaotic imagery by evoking primordial water. Upon entering Yoyogi Park, a triskele in the sky caught my eye so I checked out the rest of it. I'm...not sure how I missed it for so long, but in the sky is more desert. You can view Ginza and Asakusa up there! The Lady in Black's words about Tokyo becoming a "circular world" make more sense now, and the imagery surrounding the ovum-looking friend floating in the center is stronger. By gum!

Time to head to Shibuya and try a knuckle sandwich at Kick-Ass Deli.

all of the sound equipment in the club has Hee-haw written on it this is ridiculous

Is MAG management something I should actively worry about in this game? I only have three demons summoned, currently, so it hasn't been an issue yet, but is this something I'll have to be frugal about later on?

How can I purchase new guns? The Antique Store didn't have them available in the first area, and I'm not seeing any vendors for them in Shinjuku.

If MAG hasn't been a problem, it'll probably stay that way. I was pretty comfortable with a big party after the earlier parts of the game I think.

You might be able to get guns if you return to the antique shop. Otherwise it'll be a while until you can buy guns.

Jisgsaw

I really need to give the Raidou games a shot. Though fan-patching the old Megami Tensei games might be interesting just to get the flavor

Unless you really want to play both, I'd recommend skipping the first game. The story and setting are really interesting, but the battles are 1) far too frequent, especially as they are 2) incredibly boring.
The second game fixes that, and has an as good story and setting.

cj_iwakura

Unless you really want to play both, I'd recommend skipping the first game. The story and setting are really interesting, but the battles are 1) far too frequent, especially as they are 2) incredibly boring.
The second game fixes that, and has an as good story and setting.

The story isn't half as good as Raidou 1's. It has some neat characters, but the plot is forced L/N/C drama.

So, in addition to revisiting SMT1, I'm also revisiting Nocturne because I never finished it! If I'm mainly just interested in seeing the main story through to the end, am I really missing out by not touching the Labyrinth of Amala? And how much do I have left to go if I'm in Asakusa?

cj_iwakura

So, in addition to revisiting SMT1, I'm also revisiting Nocturne because I never finished it! If I'm mainly just interested in seeing the main story through to the end, am I really missing out by not touching the Labyrinth of Amala? And how much do I have left to go if I'm in Asakusa?

Yes, You're missing most of the story.

The Labyrinth story content is supplementary and the subquest doesn't even comprise most of the game, although it's a ton of content so it may feel that way.

It's worth doing if you ever want to, but don't finish it if you want any ending other than True Demon.

I don't think you're even halfway through if you've just visited Asakusa.

Yes, You're missing most of the story.

The Labyrinth story content is supplementary and the subquest doesn't even comprise most of the game, although it's a ton of content so it may feel that way.

It's worth doing if you ever want to, but don't finish it if you want any ending other than True Demon.

I don't think you're even halfway through if you've just visited Asakusa.

I'm torn! But I reckon I can just wait until later to decide if I want to tackle it or not? My hesitation is mostly an issue of time; in a perfect world, I'd just do everything.

Opa-Pa

I'm torn! But I reckon I can just wait until later to decide if I want to tackle it or not? My hesitation is mostly an issue of time; in a perfect world, I'd just do everything.

Yeah I think you have until before you enter the final dungeon to tackle it all, although I wouldn't recommend waiting for too long because doing it all at once would be a slog.

Still, I have to agree that it's kind of essential because most of the best content in tbe game happens there.

Personally I was in the same position as you but decided to go for it after beatific White Rider.

I decided to go back to my Luck run in SMT4:A to see where I was. Turns out I was at the part with the Fudo Temples and had to seal all 5 of the jars. 5 jars, and 1 back-to-back-to-back boss battle later and I managed to get through the entire ordeal without much of a struggle. It was hilarious during most of the fights because Nanashi was getting so many crit-hits while the rest of the team was exploiting weaknesses, smirking and saving us so many press turns. The first half of the Maitreya fight was a bit rough, until I remembered he was weak to Gun. His goose was cooked.

After a couple of side quests, I went on to fight Shesha for the 3rd time. Nothing eventful but am now in Tsukiji Konganji attempting to save Flynn.
Not looking forward to the Krishna fight at all. Hardest boss imo.

Currently level: 57
Current Stats (armor/weapon buffs included):

St: 40
Dx: 38
Ma: 20
Ag: 110
Lu: 220

So I just beat SMT4 last week again this time I went down the neutral route. Only reason I did this is because I read that apocalypse follows the neutral path story. So after putting 100+ hours into the game I'm finally done with it. Please tell me I wasn't the only one who had a "Is that it?!?" Face when the goddess (?) just says thanks and the credits rolled. Got me so mad I bought apocalypse.

The reason I was a little mad was that there were so many questions left unanswered for me. You have all these things going on and unless I REALLY was not paying attention they never go into detail about how the world is like how it is. Was the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado already up there? Was Hope part of the war and then went up to the kingdom? The goddess of Tokyo is talked up but then I only get those last words and a thank you?

So I just started Apocalypse and 4 hours into I am LOVING all the changes that were made to the game. Game looks cleaner to me, the map, OH MY GOD, the world map is way better and I've already noticed some changes to the battle system like those instant kill light and dark moves that were wrecking me towards the end of 4 are now damage and are only instant kill when the demon is smirking. THANK YOU.

Add that to the fact that they are fleshing out this wolrd so quickly into the opening hours of the game makes this a wonderful experience so far. Also after playing as Flynn for so long and see him with some personality and speaking brings me joy for some odd reason. I'm really really enjoying the SMT4 universe and it's gotten me really hyped for the switch version and I'll definitely keep an eye out for any future iterations of SMT.

Edit: I've noticed I'm missing a lot more often early in the game. Is that part of the new system or am I just not having any luck right now?

Daouzin

I hit a hard spot about 30 hours into strange journey, might be time to grind out what I need and get that moving again.

So I just beat SMT4 last week again this time I went down the neutral route. Only reason I did this is because I read that apocalypse follows the neutral path story. So after putting 100+ hours into the game I'm finally done with it. Please tell me I wasn't the only one who had a "Is that it?!?" Face when the goddess (?) just says thanks and the credits rolled. Got me so mad I bought apocalypse.

The reason I was a little mad was that there were so many questions left unanswered for me. You have all these things going on and unless I REALLY was not paying attention they never go into detail about how the world is like how it is. Was the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado already up there? Was Hope part of the war and then went up to the kingdom? The goddess of Tokyo is talked up but then I only get those last words and a thank you?

So I just started Apocalypse and 4 hours into I am LOVING all the changes that were made to the game. Game looks cleaner to me, the map, OH MY GOD, the world map is way better and I've already noticed some changes to the battle system like those instant kill light and dark moves that were wrecking me towards the end of 4 are now damage and are only instant kill when the demon is smirking. THANK YOU.

Add that to the fact that they are fleshing out this wolrd so quickly into the opening hours of the game makes this a wonderful experience so far. Also after playing as Flynn for so long and see him with some personality and speaking brings me joy for some odd reason. I'm really really enjoying the SMT4 universe and it's gotten me really hyped for the switch version and I'll definitely keep an eye out for any future iterations of SMT.

Edit: I've noticed I'm missing a lot more often early in the game. Is that part of the new system or am I just not having any luck right now?
The UI changes from 4 to 4:A were much needed, especially the damn map! What also bothered me in 4 was the annoyingly high pitched sound effect when scrolling through menus and I'm glad 4:A changed it to be a more subtle sound.

Yeah in the beginning, you will miss A LOT of attacks for some reason and I don't think increasing Ag will help too much (at the moment). Pretty sure it just comes down to some bad RNG.

The UI changes from 4 to 4:A were much needed, especially the damn map! What also bothered me in 4 was the annoyingly high pitched sound effect when scrolling through menus and I'm glad 4:A changed it to be a more subtle sound.

Yeah in the beginning, you will miss A LOT of attacks for some reason and I don't think increasing Ag will help too much (at the moment). Pretty sure it just comes down to some bad RNG.
You got that right. So does it eventually go back to normal? This is crazy. I mean it's not gonna stop me from playing but damn it's bad. Also please tell me there's nothing like camp Ichigaya where you gotta go through that place more than twice. forgot to mention how much that annoyed me.

asagami_

Banned
Uh, I finally returned to my second run in SMT Nocturne, now in Hard difficulty. My last save was before to fight Forneus. I don't know why but I had already a Preta, which is necessary to fight Forneus thanks to Sukukaja.

It's too bad Preta MP it's so low, but it's enough AGI buff for me.

You got that right. So does it eventually go back to normal? This is crazy. I mean it's not gonna stop me from playing but damn it's bad. Also please tell me there's nothing like camp Ichigaya where you gotta go through that place more than twice. forgot to mention how much that annoyed me.
Eventually it goes back to normal, but the fact that attacks miss that much in the beginning will make you paranoid throughout the rest of the game.

You only need to go through Camp Ichigaya once in this game. Spoilers of course
The Lucifer's palace dungeon is part of going through Camp Ichigaya so it's essentially as long as going though multiple Ichigaya's.

randomkid

there is so much terrible advice about matador out there on the internet, look at this looney tunes response that is the first google result for "nocturne matador"

https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/582958-shin-megami-tensei-nocturne/answers/355863-how-do-i-beat-matador

fyi newcomers you do not need to get to level 22-25 (!!!) to beat this boss and "getting used to grinding" is another way of demonstrating you missed the entire point.

all the tools are there for you to take him down at 16 like I just did, and that's all without any of the fancy stuff you see on the way low level runs on youtube. The game itself points you to everything you need to play smartly (Nozochi is RIGHT THERE in the immediately preceding room) and this is just a small part of why it’s such a master class of game design.

Fritz

I pretty much keep mourning Kaneko's apparent departure from the series. It was one of those magical line-ups in gaming.

JThird

Is there any way to block/avoid almighty attacks in SMTIV? I'm on a Chaos route and it starts to irritate to fight all those angels who spawn few mighty skills in a row.

there is so much terrible advice about matador out there on the internet, look at this looney tunes response that is the first google result for "nocturne matador"

https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/582958-shin-megami-tensei-nocturne/answers/355863-how-do-i-beat-matador

fyi newcomers you do not need to get to level 22-25 (!!!) to beat this boss and "getting used to grinding" is another way of demonstrating you missed the entire point.

all the tools are there for you to take him down at 16 like I just did, and that's all without any of the fancy stuff you see on the way low level runs on youtube. The game itself points you to everything you need to play smartly (Nozochi is RIGHT THERE in the immediately preceding room) and this is just a small part of why it's such a master class of game design.

A good setup is available as early as level 15, yeah. Not only Nozuchi, but Bicorn is available for fusion by then too.

Is there any way to block/avoid almighty attacks in SMTIV? I'm on a Chaos route and it starts to irritate to fight all those angels who spawn few mighty skills in a row.

Nope!

randomkid

A good setup is available as early as level 15, yeah. Not only Nozuchi, but Bicorn is available for fusion by then too.

It's kind of amazing how different my playthrough has been this time through compared to my memories of 2004, when I recall dozens of gameovers and multiple tries per boss. 13 more years of SMT experience and now everyone's being taken down as quickly as an SMT1 boss (instead of using Zio to steal turns, just use Fog Breath heh). There's even room to improvise with new tactics if you accidentally head to the boss with the wrong demon weaknesses, this time around Focus and Lunge have been working out swimmingly for me.

In any case, just unlocked the easiest difficulty mode for myself.

deleted

I'm thinking about buying Catherine and Persona 3 FES on PS3 during the sale.

What are the estimated run times on both?
Is Persona 3 FES still worth playing? I never played a Persona game before but all I saw about Persona 5 looked pretty intruiging.

Catherine was on my radar for quite a while and I had hopes for years that it would maybe make it's way to PC someday. It's an RPG mixed with a puzzle game, right?

Eridani

I'm thinking about buying Catherine and Persona 3 FES on PS3 during the sale.

What are the estimated run times on both?
Is Persona 3 FES still worth playing? I never played a Persona game before but all I saw about Persona 5 looked pretty intruiging.

Catherine was on my radar for quite a while and I had hopes for years that it would maybe make it's way to PC someday. It's an RPG mixed with a puzzle game, right?

Catherine is pretty short (about 15 hours) while Persona 3 FES is really long (80 hours maybe? It's been a while since I've played it - even more if you play the extra "epilogue" that FES added).

They are both very much worth playing. Persona 3/4/5 are all among the very best JRPGs out there, and while the core gameplay is mostly the same in all of them, the themes, characters and stories are different enough in each of them that they are all worth playing.

Catherine is great in a completely different way. It's not really an RPG - it's a story heavy puzzle game. The story and characters are both outstanding, but apart from that the puzzle mechanics are incredible. I'd also abandon all hopes of it ever coming to PC (though I'd love to be proven wrong).

deleted

Catherine is pretty short (about 15 hours) while Persona 3 FES is really long (80 hours maybe? It's been a while since I've played it - even more if you play the extra "epilogue" that FES added).

They are both very much worth playing. Persona 3/4/5 are all among the very best JRPGs out there, and while the core gameplay is mostly the same in all of them, the themes, characters and stories are different enough in each of them that they are all worth playing.

Catherine is great in a completely different way. It's not really an RPG - it's a story heavy puzzle game. The story and characters are both outstanding, but apart from that the puzzle mechanics are incredible. I'd also abandon all hopes of it ever coming to PC (though I'd love to be proven wrong).

Thanks, Catherine is bought - I don't really see me playing through an 80 hours 10 year old JRPG tbh, but it is tempting to look into it and see if the series is for me for a few bucks.

I would love to replay some of these titles, but pretty much every game is like 2-4 dungeons (or 15-20 hours) too long.
I've completed SJ this year and certainly were interested in the other endings, I however am not putting in another 60 hours or put up with the most ludicrous endboss of all time again anytime soon.

cj_iwakura

Thanks, Catherine is bought - I don't really see me playing through an 80 hours 10 year old JRPG tbh, but it is tempting to look into it and see if the series is for me for a few bucks.

Catherine is incredible, and the competitive scene is still going strong to this day.

I would love to replay some of these titles, but pretty much every game is like 2-4 dungeons (or 15-20 hours) too long.
I've completed SJ this year and certainly were interested in the other endings, I however am not putting in another 60 hours or put up with the most ludicrous endboss of all time again anytime soon.

You know, you could make a solid argument that SJ really does have the hardest final boss of any SMT game.

Top Bottom