• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In my 18 years of gaming, I've never played a Sony system. Could PS4 still be for me?

Menchi

Shocking. I've no idea how any gamer of that length could have missed out on PS1 and 2 which, were both industry defining systems.

You've missed out, big time. If the PS4 has BC with PS2/1 titles, I'd definitely pick one up, just so you can play some of the truly amazing games you've missed.

If the PS4 has the same controller yet again, it should be really hard to get used to OP. The people that like the controller is because they had basically being holding it for the last 15 years but is very unwieldy.

Hopefully it's different.

The Lamp

You're really not missing anything these days. The PS1 and PS2 had a lot of good games. It ended there. I wouldn't waste the money on the PS3 if I were you. Maybe if it still had other OS, then perhaps.
You're saying the PS3 has no good games and it'd only be worth the money if it had Linux?

Boy are you in the minority, buddy.

Do it. People complain about the ps3 ui, but its really not that bad. Its a very simplistic approach, but some things could have been streamlined much better. I expect this to be taken care of with the ps4. The controller feels different from the 360. But this is simply preference, and youll easiky getvused to it and adjust.

I think the difference i feel between the two comes down to games. I (personally) feel that sony aims their system to bring me games, and to some extent, be progressive with their gaming systems. With this, i personally will always trust sony more when it comesvto gaming.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I guess it's great Sony is starting to release PS2 classics on the Store. That should help, a bit (since most of the great games are not there).

If you want, buy a PS2 quickly (since they're out of production now) and start playing them games.

The only game on the PSone really worth playing is Metal Gear Solid. And you can beat the game in under 6 hours.

Whoa.

H5xHX.gif

If the PS4 has the same controller yet again, it should be really hard to get used to OP. The people that like the controller is because they had basically being holding it for the last 15 years but is very unwieldy.

What we learn from the quote:
1) Anyone who is okay with using a PS controller must by over the age of 15
2) Anyone who is okay with the PS controller must have played and only played with the controller in the last 15 years.
3) Anyone who uses the PS controller will suffer from an unwieldy torture in their hand.
4) Transition between controllers is "really hard".

*sigh*

notBald

Wow, I know I made a thread about brand loyalty, but wow. You need to buy an OG PS3 and play psx-ps3 games. TOO MANY GAMES TO LIST. TOO MANY. I dont even know how you missed out on the greatest console of all time in the ps2. Like how?
I skipped the PS2 generation altogether, yet I was happy to get an 360 to play those Xbox games I missed out on in BC (which meant I had to buy one of those overpriced hard drives grr).

The same wasn't true of the PS2. I was surprised when I couldn't think of a single PS2 exclusive I wanted enough to get a PS3. Thinking I had just forgotten the PS2 greats I downloaded an emulator and tried out the big name games. None of them grabbed me.

GoW, Spyro, FFX, ICO, etc, are great games for sure, but I just don't care for them.

None of the PS3 exclusives appeals to me either (neither did any of XBox 360 exclusives besides GOW), so if I get a next gen console I will simply get the more powerful one. If that's the PS4 I'll go with that. Exclusives does not matter.

Kinect and XBox live does not interest me at all, so I don't see that as advantages for the nextbox.

Shocking. I've no idea how any gamer of that length could have missed out on PS1 and 2 which, were both industry defining systems.

There were already lots of multiplatform games and in most cases, they were superior on Xbox or GCN. And it's not like these platforms also didn't have a good amount of worthwhile exclusives. So it wouldn't have been as hard to avoid the PS2 as some might think.

At this point you're never going to catch up and play everything, so I tend to agree with the people who say get a PS3, check out some PS1 and PS2 classics on PSN, as well as some of the current gen stuff. At least that way you get a taste.

Boulayman

no. you need to play the first three.

Yeah, you really missed out in some of the best games out there and that comes from someone who has owned most of the consoles that came out the past 15 years...

There were already lots of multiplatform games and in most cases, they were superior on Xbox or GCN. And it's not like these platforms also didn't have a good amount of worthwhile exclusives. So it wouldn't have been as hard to avoid the PS2 as some might think.

Hmm, the multiplatform era sorta started in earnest with the ps3 not succeeding anywhere as much as it was expected when it launched. So yah he did miss out on an awful lot of games.

At this point you're never going to catch up and play everything, so I tend to agree with the people who say get a PS3, check out some PS1 and PS2 classics on PSN, as well as some of the current gen stuff. At least that way you get a taste.

Good advice

that's a joke, right ?
you say it's been the same controller for 15 years.
if someone picks it up for the first time now he wont find it any more difficult to use it than someone who picked it up for the first time fifteen years ago. i don't see your point.

i doubt the OP will find it "really hard to get used to"
i havent been using that controller for fifteen years and yet, believe it or not, im able to put this thing in my hands and push the buttons on it comfortably for long sessions.

if you have serious issues that prevent you from playing wih the dualshock, well you have issues, not the controller.

MajorGravy

Neo Member
Lol you seriously never owned a Sony console? Get a ps2 due to it's vast library of games that are really cheap nowadays too. It also plays ps1 games (Ps3 plays ps1 as well but not ps2 for the newest models aka slim+).

Get Spyro, Crash, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Tekken, FF series, KH series, etc!!! :D

ymmv

Banned
Lol you seriously never owned a Sony console? Get a ps2 due to it's vast library of games that are really cheap nowadays too. It also plays ps1 games (Ps3 plays ps1 as well but not ps2 for the newest models aka slim+).

Get Spyro, Crash, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Tekken, FF series, KH series, etc!!! :D

Or buy a PS3 and buy HD collections of Jak & Daxter, Kingdom Hearts, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, Ico & Shadow of the Colossus, Ratchet & Clank, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill, Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, Sly Raccoon, Zone of the Enders, God of War ...

thelastword

Banned
Why the hell is that hard to belive?
It is hard, because the PS2 is the best selling console of all times. I have a brand new PS2 fat I got off ebay a couple years ago, I got it with two memory cards plus a controller and it's there in case i want to pop a classic, I got it for only $50.

Lets face it, it is a fact that the PS1 and PS2 really took gaming to the masses, also the marketing for these systems were beyond any other system, especially the PS1, so there's no way one could say they didn't know of these systems, or what they offered. I saw ads for ff7 everywhere in Toronto in 1997, on buses on tv, in magazines, papers, the same for crash bandicoot and so many others.

As a gamer, i'm saying that all of that should raise your interest somewhat, there were mags which gave you ps1 cds with games to try, even if you couldn't afford games then, these demos gave you quite a bit of gameplay time. I still remember i never bought the full game of hot shots golf 2 on ps1, but I played the daylights off the demo, so much fun. If you've never played tekken 3 all day long with a bunch of friends, then you simply have not gamed.

Exr

Mind blowing to me that there are people who have yet to try the PS2. Amazing system, unparalleled variety of games.

Thoraxes

I would honestly just look for a phatty PS3.

That way you could actually play the past two generations (and PS3 games) on one system and buy a lot of the games used and cheap.

I've never owned a Sony home console either. I also don't feel like I missed out on a lot since I hate Japanese RPGs, I hate stealth games (I always prefer to run and gun), and I really hate sim racers. I just find all of those games so slow and boring.

God of War always looked good, but that genre of beatem up is kind of passe now and the games always looked like they were more rentals than purchases. Uncharted is probably the one game series I would really enjoy on a Sony console. I think that's the reason why MS is playing up Tomb Raider so much.

These are the game machines I owned:
Commodore 64
NES
Genesis
SNES
N64
Dreamcast
Xbox
Xbox 360

zoukka

Mind blowing to me that there are people who have yet to try the PS2. Amazing system, unparalleled variety of games.

Shit system with a great library.

Though I agree it's weird he never bumped into it anywhere. It's like never seeing a NES...

"I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on this hobby!"

"I have never owned a gaming pc or hdtv."
Believe it or not, both of these statements are true! I rarely have the foresight to save up for big purchases.

I seriously can't believe all of the incredible games you have missed out on. It makes my brain cry. I would personally invest in a PS3, since it plays PS1 games, and a lot of the PS2 games are in HD collections for cheap. there are so many amazing PS3 games out there. Then maybe get a PS4 in a year or so (or even at launch if you feel inclined since it probably won't be backwards compatible anyway).
I guess I'll wait and see how BC is going to work with PS4, if at all, and then I may do just this. I don't like buying consoles at launch anyway, so this would be a good time to catch up on stuff while first models are having their kinks worked out.

By the way, how much does an OG PS3 go for these days?

If you love single player games like my self, you missed out on so many good games I almost feel sorry for you. There is still time.

Edit; wow it hit me just now the magnitude of your loss. Get a PS2 now.
*bro fist* Single player games 4 lyfe. I very rarely do anything with multiplayer

PS4 won't be out for a while.

What you need to do is repent for you sins and buy a PS3 then amass a backlog and try to finish it before the PS4 is out.
I'm studying in a different country until May, and by the time I get back I'll have some delicious 3DS titles to catch up on, plus the slew of new 3DS games coming out over the summer. After that though, yeah, a PS3 is starting to sound more and more enticing.

I'm not looking to extensively play EVERY good game ever created for a Sony system. Experiencing the true gems and classics should hold me over for plenty of time anyway

Shit system with a great library.

Though I agree it's weird he never bumped into it anywhere. It's like never seeing a NES...
I have ran into it before, just rarely, and I never played it. I never thought what I saw was so necessary that I needed to drop enough to invest in it.

With age comes wisdom though, I guess. You all have pretty much sold me on how integral it will be to my gaming experience to go through the Sony backlog.

Philia

I feel so sorry for you. Some classics takes a bit to get into too. I don't mean to say that they don't age well, but some of the controls are much clunkier than you'd like.

Midou

I wish I was you and still had the glorious game collections of the PS1 and PS2 completely unplayed. Oh god, how wonderful that would be.

I'm still playing some PS1 games I never finished, they have not aged as well, but too awesome to skip out on.

Doc Evils

This thread highlights why used games are important.

Can you imagine if you couldn't play FF7 for the first time because the used game you picked up on ebay needed a god damn code that wouldn't be available anymore?!

This thread highlights why used games are important.

Can you imagine if you couldn't play FF7 for the first time because the used game you picked up on ebay needed a god damn code that wouldn't be available anymore?!

Presumably when used games go away there will be games on demand by download or streaming or both. This should be much better for classic gaming as the rarity of the titles will be gone. There won't be a limited number of copies available in the world and you won't have to pay hundreds to play rare classic games.

thelastword

Banned
Yeah, it is always a different thing to play classics of an older system after several newer generations of said platform. Some games do not age well, controls, graphics have all advanced and evolved, some classics still and will always hold favourably though especially in the gameplay department.

The way I see it, get a PS3 now, play some of the PS1's gems like Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, FF7, MGS, Suikoden, Soul Reaver, SOTN, which are available on the PSN. Get in on many classic PS2 games which were remade in hd, like the GOW games, MGS series, Sly, Ratchet, Jak and Daxter, Ico and Sotc. There are so many games remade, you should probably play them all just for starters. Then move on to play some the the PS3 games like the uncharteds, heavy rain, lbp and much more.

Woorloog

Banned
It is hard, because the PS2 is the best selling console of all times. I have a brand new PS2 fat I got off ebay a couple years ago, I got it with two memory cards plus a controller and it's there in case i want to pop a classic, I got it for only $50.

Lets face it, it is a fact that the PS1 and PS2 really took gaming to the masses, also the marketing for these systems were beyond any other system, especially the PS1, so there's no way one could say they didn't know of these systems, or what they offered. I saw ads for ff7 everywhere in Toronto in 1997, on buses on tv, in magazines, papers, the same for crash bandicoot and so many others.

As a gamer, i'm saying that all of that should raise your interest somewhat, there were mags which gave you ps1 cds with games to try, even if you couldn't afford games then, these demos gave you quite a bit of gameplay time. I still remember i never bought the full game of hot shots golf 2 on ps1, but I played the daylights off the demo, so much fun. If you've never played tekken 3 all day long with a bunch of friends, then you simply have not gamed.

I don't remember it being advertised so much here in Finland. But then i was.. when was PS2 launched again? Well, i was about 10-12 i guess (born in '90). I remember a friend having PS1 and 2 but i never really cared for the games he liked. I think my interests were in PC anyway during that time, mostly RTS, some Star Wars games.
Later, i played Halo and that, specifically Halo 2, sold Xbox to me. 360 i got for Halo (3) again, and Mass Effect. By that time i paid more attention to gaming in general but still nothing sold me PS2/3 or any Nintendo console. Well, some GC Rogue Squadron game did interest me but i wasn't going to get another console for that. And can't remember any interesting science fiction games on PS back then.
Didn't play Tekken but played Halo 2 on same console (didn't get Live until 360)... It doesn't really matter what you play on same console with friends, it is awesome regardless.

EDIT i'll repeat, i was kid back then so this definetly has quite a lot to do with the fact i haven't played on Sony's devices really. But i'll also note that me and my brother never really asked for one.

Just get a PS3, buy the first party output, some HD collections and PSX games. THEN if you want more, track a PS2 but that's an overkill in my opinion.

Duuuuuuuuude did you just say you have never played PS2. Om my god.....the games you missed out on. Forget the ps1 or ps3 get a ps2 asap. If you want to play ps1 games buy a ps3. If your lucky by a ps3 with BC or you can wait and hope for full BC with the PS4

dLMN8R

Hey guys there's a console rumored to be coming out in around 9 months and we don't know anything about it.

Should I buy it?

If you just got into gaming recently, I can understand missing Sony consoles.

But 18 years...You've missed out on some of the best gaming has to offer.

kuroshiki

OP. If you stayed out of Sony console for whatever reason for past 15 years, then you should stick with whatever you were having with until now.

More than likely, your human brain and mind couldn't possibly contain sheer explosion of awesomeness all at once. So, keep playing Nintendo.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Damn you fucked up, I'll let you in on a little secret
The PlayStation was the true successor to the SNES

And seriously man, never? Never ever ever?
Thats just wrong

Woorloog

Banned
Seriously? You honestly can't fathom why some people would find it incredulous that a so-called gamer managed to play video games for 18 years without owning a single Sony system?

Yes. I don't expect people to have read Dune or having played Command & Conquer or having owned Xbox or... well, i don't expect people having done same things as me really. At least i don't assume they've done so, it is always a pleasant surprised to find someone who has something in common with me.
About the only thing i expect is people not expecting things... looks like that is too much to ask though.

Of course statistically my expectation is perfectly reasonable, most people on Earth have never played video games or owned any video gaming systems (not counting PC/Mac).

klee123

You missed out on a lot, but considering that you've been through 3 gens without a Sony system, why stop now? Just stick to your biases and move on.

That said I would so love to get into the PSone as if it was my first time ever again.

The experience was truly something amazing.

Top Bottom