• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In one month, Mario Odyssey will release. What's your favorite Mario game and why?

maxcriden

Please explain your answer because it's more fun and interesting to read that way.

I'd also like to hear about your favorite memories of playing Mario games.

I know very little about Super Mario Odyssey since I've been on media blackout for the game since January, though some drips and drabs have popped up in my field of vision here and there. But, what I do know is that it is the first 3D Mario in nearly four years, and the first mainline Mario series title (2D or 3D) in just as long), which per Wikipedia is the longest we've gone without a mainline Mario title since the 6 year wait between SM64 and SMS.

So, in the run up to what I hope to be an epic and incredible Mario adventure, I'd love to hear about your favorite Mario game. Preferably your favorite mainline (2D or 3D) Mario game, though I'd welcome mentions of spin-offs as well. The Wiki link above has a complete list of Super Mario (mainline) games, BTW.

For me, my favorite Super Mario game is probably Super Mario Galaxy. I was super apprehensive at first because Mario was upside down and stuff and why were we playing in these linear courses in a 3D space? I was desperate to find any open world areas, the game felt almost claustrophobic to me in comparison to 3D Marios past. We did get to Beach Bowl Galaxy and I enjoyed it, but it was around that time I started to realize how fun and special the burstingly creative levels in the game are, with exciting use of power-ups and gimmicks.

In terms of favorite levels, I can't pick just one level from this game.

800px-Mariotransformbee.png

Bee Mario is the first transformation you're introduced to in the game and it is a significant departure from any other 3D Mario power-up -- IIRC, it is the first anthropomorphic power-up in a 3D Mario game. In the vein of the SMB3 Tanooki and Frog power-ups, this transformation allows you a set of bee-like abilities, including adherence to all things honey and limited flight. (It's also adorable.) Taking flight for the first time as Bee Mario is very memorable to me in this game.

800px-SMG_Luigi_Cowardice.png

I also like the Boo Mario power-up a lot. (I know there was a level where you outrun some Boos in a Crash Bandicoot-style level but maybe that is in SMG2. I don't recall if you even use the Boo power-up in that one, though.) I remember the Luigi and the Haunted Mansion level being very fun and them highlight being Boo Mario's introduction.

Garbage_Dump.PNG

I previously featured Gearmo in my thread Great video game composters that went missing in action. This minigame was very difficult and all too satisfying to complete. There is a hint in the level design but I think I missed it when we originally played the game.

225px-27-032.jpg

If you are naturally adept at upside-down 2D platforming this level may have been a cakewalk for you, but for myself (and some others from what I've read online) Dreadnought Galaxy's Battlestation's Purple Coins level is obscenely difficult, the most difficult in the game in fact. I have fond memories of playing this level into the late hours of the night with my wife (then girlfriend) in our college dorm room, bleary eyed and practically delirious from dozens and dozens (and more dozens) of retries. It was super satisfying to complete, though.

Rolling_Gizmo_Galaxy.PNG

Some of the more gimmick-heavy levels in SMG are oft-maligned, and while I am absolutely awful at the Manta Ray levels I really like the rolling ball levels a lot, and Rolling Gizmo was the second and more difficult of these in the first game.

800px-LuigiPurpleCoins.png

Luigi's Purple Coins in Toy Time Galaxy is one of the last stars, if not the last star, that we obtained in SMG. The platforming I just found to be especially tricky and put pure platforming skills to the test as much as anything else in the game. Very fun level.

A couple favorite memories of mine involving Mario games:

4upun.jpg

Our Cat Eli playing SMG2. We were playing the Bee race level and he came and joined it. It was amazing.

I'm also going to repost a story I've posted before for the second memory. I posted this in the Super Mario 3D Land is five years old thread last November.

Super_Mario_3D_Land_Puzzle.gif

Wow, time flies. I remember surprising my wife with a Flame Red 3DS/3DL bundle on her birthday in December 2012. We were living in Vermont and we got up super early to drive down to a surprise location - our old neighborhood in Astoria, Queens. We spent the day going around NYC. Had amazing pizza at Motorino in the East Village, went to Times Square, Chinatown and Little Italy... came back to Astoria for a delicious dinner at a Mexican restaurant with some terrific cactus leaf tostadas. When we left the restaurant we forgot the leftovers so I ran back while my wife waited for me in front of the bakery whose cakes were featured in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. We got back to the car -- we'd parked under the Broadway St. Station -- and I put the leftovers in the trunk. I came back to the front seat and handed my wife a gift-wrapped box. I pretended to be confused and was like, "I found this in the trunk?" She's a huge Nintendo fan and was super elated. That little 3DS has gotten so many hours of play. Including many on that game, on DKCR 3D, and so many others.

tumblr_m2tywvuzBX1rslr9fo4_250.gif

tumblr_m2tywvuzBX1rslr9fo6_250.gif

I recently revisited 3DL. Earlier this year, or maybe last year, I replayed W1-8 and enjoyed it quite a bit. Then when I had to go to my hometown of Buffalo for a wedding in September, I played through much of the Special Worlds. A couple of those levels in particular are brutally difficult to me, especially getting all 3 coins in each. And that's even with 3D on. I played some (most? all?) of the game with it on this time. I don't usually do so with 3DS (prone to migraines) but it didn't effect me negatively (migraine-wise) much if at all here, and the added depth was really useful. Anyway, I'd played these harder levels before and got stuck on some of the same ones. A couple weeks or so ago I beat S8, which I'd forgotten unlocks a final level in W8. I beat that as well, both of those were pretty tough for me. I know there's a super secret final level (that I never unlocked when originally playing it, either) but I haven't gotten every gold flagpole yet (most of them, though) or beaten any levels with Luigi... I want to wait to go back and do that till the game is a bit less fresh in my mind. I'll probably do W1-8 then take a break then S1-8, again. It's a good incentive for an eventual replay.

tumblr_o2i7r5F5Lq1tliyz4o1_r1_400.gif

tumblr_m2tywvuzBX1rslr9fo2_250.gif

I really enjoy the game quite a bit. It's an incredible, tight distillation of 2D Mario in the 3D space. The Christmas Mario Theme on 3DS has been on our home screen for nearly two years now, and uses the delightful music from this game.

tumblr_oa75unAUKh1turwzjo2_250.gif

tumblr_m2tywvuzBX1rslr9fo8_250.gif

Related threads:

Mario Community Thread: Anything and everything Super Mario

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1397484

Hardest Mario Level? [explain your answer, ModBot is watching...]

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Mario Galaxy 2 is my favourite because its the best one.

Realeza

Banned
It's Galaxy because of a combination of things: amazing art direction, goat-caliber music, and stellar level design. Gusty Garden Galaxy is a representation of everything that's good about games.

Best Mario game? Galaxy 2, hands down.

that game delivered the competition wishes it could do. Was literally slayed

but in terms of fond memories it'd have to be Sunshine. so many fun memories playing that game as a child jumping around Delfino Island and finding all its secrets.

also who could forget the iconic Sting ray boss at that hotel stage, whew i got my life to that

mjc

Super_Mario_Bros._3_coverart.png

Probably one of the first games I ever played, way back on the NES. I remember taking turns with my brother playing through the worlds, always getting to the end but never quite being able to beat it. Will always be a soft spot for me.

Jumeira

Banned
SM64. Missed out on Galaxy as i wasnt sold on Wii consoles (and disappointed with Sunshine)

Looking forward to Mario Odyssey.

WestEgg

I can't really pick a singular one, but I can at least narrow it down based on Catergory.

2D: Super Mario Bros. 3

3D: Galaxy 1 and 2 (I consider these one collective game, like the Lord of the Rings)

RPG: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Kart: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Wish: Super Mario American Football

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I grew up on SMB 1-3 and SMW.. World being probably the most iconic.

Mario 64 will always hold a special place in my heart.

They're all great, really, but man.

Galaxy was phenomenal.. and Sunshine was fun when it came out, but on a replay there are some parts that don't hold up as well.

I really hope Odyssey is as close to "Mario 128" as we can get.

The music is really what makes the games memorable for me, though.. so in that respect, judging by MUSIC alone:

Super Mario World
Super Mario 3
Mario 64
Super Mario 2
Mario Sunshine
Mario Galaxy 1&2

I leave the original Super Mario bros off this list because they're all informed by the original.

Rymuth

Hmmm....tough between 3 and World.

I love 3's aesthetic but I adore finding all the secret paths in World when I was a kid

I think I'd have to go with Mario 64. That game busted the world wide open. At the end of the day, it was the place that the world created and what it allowed the player to do.

64 is as good as it gets. Still holds up and people are still finding out new stuff about it. It's one of the most influential games of all time if you care about that kind of thing as well. Just that castle theme alone, man

I think the holding up matters because Sunshine definitely does not, and even the Galaxy games have that signature Wii slowness that didn't seem bad at the time but makes them super hard to get back into at first today.

Tie between Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario 64 for me.

SMB was my first Mario, but SMB3 was the first Mario game I became obsessed with. SMB3 was life when I was a kid.

Super Mario 64 just blew me away with its graphics and gameplay. It was a world I wish I could escape to. It hasn't been matched by other Mario games in terms of atmosphere IMO. And the music, MY LORD

giapel

Super Mario Bros 3 because... well you can't beat childhood memories. But really, it was such a step up for the series, that thinking it was still a NES game is kinda nuts.

Super Mario Bros. 3. Because it was fucking amazing. Frog Suit, Tanooki Suit. Sogood.gif I loved Galaxy 1 and 2 and Mario 64 as well, but Mario 3 will forever hold a special place in my heart. Odyssey will probably climb into the top 3.

MoonFrog

I'm more of a casual Mario fan. I'll buy Odyssey, have a lot of fun with it, and not think about it too much.

My favorite Mario is probably the original Galaxy. Super Mario World really captured my imagination as a kid too.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Super Mario 64 is my favorite. The journey from Project Reality with SGI demos that invited you to imagine how a 3D Mario could work to Space World with (slowly downloaded via 56 k modem) impressions of the game to Toys R Us demo stations absolutely stunning me was one of my favorite (extended) moments in gaming.

Obviously I am very much looking forward to Odyssey :)

It has to be Mario 64 for me. It certainly has a lot to do with nostalgia, as I remember so many times renting an N64 with Mario 64 and just being awe struck every time. It was such an amazing entry into the world of 3D, and I don't think I'll ever feel anything like that again, I was certainly in my prime gaming time as a kid.

That said, I certainly think the gameplay holds up, and I go back to play it through once every year or two. I love pretty much any Mario game that comes out, but I doubt anything will stand up to my memory of Mario 64.

For me, it's Super Mario Galaxy. It's just so...magical. I think it might be perfect. 2nd place is actually Sunshine, simply due to the setting. Loved it.

Jeff-DSA

I played Super Mario World the most. Being 9 years old when it came out, I played it regularly for years and have revisited it often. I can't say if it's my favorite though.

Super Mario 64 might take the crown, because it came at a time when I thought I was growing out of playing games. I was 15 years old and had sports, girls, and high school on my mind far more than video games. Then I played that freaking demo kiosk at Target. I couldn't believe how amazing the game was. It was a true revelation and it sucked me back into gaming as a main hobby.

There's nothing like a mainline Super Mario game. They're special, and they always reinvigorate my love for platforming. Charm, challenge, and straightforward fun make it a series that continually defines platforming for each generation.

Dyle

The GOAT
SM64DS_Sortor%27Splode.png

But seriously, Super Mario Galaxy. Galaxy 2 is fantastic too, but there is something about the way that Galaxy 1 captures a sense of sublime astronomical beauty in its quiet moments that pushes it over the edge. Where Galaxy 2 is all highs of bright visuals and tight platforming, with the notable exception of the Slimy Spring Galaxy, Galaxy 1 is peppered with quiet moments that encourage you to sit and relax before setting out on the next adventure. It's those patient bits, where the game wasn't really pushing me to do anything but enjoy a surreal view with some calm music, that make the glorious highpoints of music and spectacle all the more enjoyable

Faiz

64 for how it completely flipped the switch. I really want a complete remaster of that game one day.

And glad to see Sunshine getting a little love. Game took too much crap for no good reasons.

I'm gonna say 64. It was basically a complete revelation in its time, there was nothing that came close to it in terms of how technology and game design can combine to give you an incredible new experience. The fact that I can still pick it up and play it easily shows how well it's aged too. It's seriously a timeless masterpiece.

A lot of this probably has to do with nostalgia if I'm being honest. I can remember clear as day the first time I saw Mario 64 in person, but I have basically no memory of the first time I played Galaxy. I wonder if this might have something to do with age... (I'm 29 for reference).

I will say Galaxy 1 had better music, but I think that's the only area in which I'd put it ahead.

Platy

Galaxy 2 is absolutly insane.

I remember being like "yeah no way this lives up to the hype" and oh boy did it not only lived but went beyond.

There are entire companie's libraries with less creativity than that game. There are single stages with mechanics that lesser companies would base 2 games on it and call it a day. But that game introduces, uses and trows it away like it was nothing and it was amazing to see how they could surprise you.

Getting expert levels on Cloud suit is delicious because that is the perfect platforming power up because it literally creates platforms, so the better you are at platforming, the farther you can go and holy shit you can turn it into a broken power up after a long time trying.

Pusherman

Super Mario Bros 3 basically was gaming when I was little. I still play it and it still feels every bit as magical as when I was a little 3-year old playing it with my mom. Yoshi's Island is a close second.

The Galaxy games taken together are my favorite followed closely by 3D World. I like these games because of the tight linear game play, so my enthusiasm for Odyssey is a bit low key for a Mario game. Last time Mario was free roam was in Sunshine and that didn't turn out well for my tastes at all. I have higher hopes here though.

b3b0p

NES Mario 3.

It's challenging without saves. You can alternatively use Warp Whistles.

It's got a ton of variety. Tanooki, Frog, Raccoon, Giant World, etc.

Tons of levels and worlds.

The Koopa Kids.

I would say World on SNES, but it's so easy. Super fun, but easy, even to get perfect.

The Wizard. Nuff said.

hotcyder

Super Mario Galaxy 2

It's Super Mario perfection. 64's Controls combined with World's imagination.

3D Land/World is close, but Galaxy edges it in having more interesting objectives versus the classic flag pole.

I think I had the most fun with Mario Bros on NES because I was a young kid and it was my first videogame. Super Mario World comes close because it was a much better game and just leagues above others games at the time.

Coda

I think Super Mario 64 was easily the most influential game maybe ever made. But I think my favorite Mario game is Super Mario Bros. 3.

I have to say though, it looks like Super Mario Odyssey will supersede all of those games, looks like the perfect combination of every Mario game ever made.

Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins (GB)
introduced Wario, cool and imaginative levels (micro, moon, inside of a whale) and portability.
Also it introduced Wario, which paved the way for waluigi, the best character in the series.

Top Bottom