• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In one month, Mario Odyssey will release. What's your favorite Mario game and why?

Wamb0wneD

In regard to actual impact it has to be 64, but personally in hindsight Galaxy 2 definetly is the pinnacle so far in terms of gameplay variety and presentation. Galaxy 1 is, just like 64, more mindblowing from a perspective of innovating the platforming genre but Galaxy 2 perfected what 1 set out to do.Whenever I replay any of the 3D Mario games I'm in awe how the maintained such a high level of quality over the years.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 absolutely blew me away. Here is my LTTP post on it from 2014:

My gf surprised me with this game as an early anniversary gift, and I've been hooked since the moment I started playing.

z46BprW.jpg

SMG was hailed as being one of the best platform games ever, and I absolutely agreed once I got to play it. That's what makes this game so amazing — it's actually better than the first! It has the perfect balance of being similar to its predecessor, but just different enough so that it never feels rehashed or stale. The level design and platforming are just sublime. And it's more challenging than the first game.

There are some levels that are so impressively diabolical I was convinced a James Bond villain designed them. The most noteworthy one (so far) was the purple coin prankster comet for the Flip-Swap Galaxy. My god. First, it was on a timer to induce anxiety right off the bat. Then there were the chomps and moving electric fences which both had knockback effects when they damaged you, which usually resulted in Mario plunging to his death. But the most evil part was the main level design itself — the floor tiles that flip when you spin. If you played the first SMG then you probably have my same instinctive reaction to spin at the end of your jumps in order to assure you land properly. Doing so makes the game a lot easier because Mario's spin is basically a mini extra jump. But for this level, the designer said: "Fuck you Luap, I'm going to make this level kill you every time you spin at the end of a jump." And I fell for it. Again, and again, and again. Instinct is a very hard thing to shut off, even if you make a conscious effort to. Add in the stress of a timer and the other obstacles, and it was a goddamn bloodbath. It was maddening. It was ingenious. I didn't see the star until was already a man, by then it was nothing but blinding...

I've had it for a week and I'm already past 70 stars. Two big thumbs up for SMG2.

8V3D0Sf.gif

Indelible

Super Mario World is still my favorite Mario game, so many secrets and the controls are flawless. I also love 64 and SMB 3 but I feel World has better replay value.

Peltz

Dang I can't just pick one. Too many good Mario games to decide on just one. For me Mario was a system seller. You got a Nintendo for Mario and with so many games to choose from each system that got one had a defining Mario title. Sorry for copping out on my answer.

I feel you on this. Mario games are quite "defining" Nintendo console experiences. I won't choose one.

nelo_inc

Super Mario World is still my favorite Mario game, so many secrets and the controls are flawless. I also love 64 and SMB 3 but I feel World has better replay value.

Absolutely, one of my all time favourite games, i can pick up and play the game anytime!
The OST is amazing even if it's a 16 Bit game, in fact i'm just waiting to play it again in the Snes Mini!

Yoshi's Island, with Super Mario 64 closely behind.

64 was a revolutionary, mindblowing experience, but Yoshi's Island is the first time I realized that games were an art form. The sheer craft on display in that game, the way it feels to play, the constantly inventive level design, the artstyle, the music, that ending... To this day, Yoshi's Island remains a perfect game in my memories.

Jagsrock

Banned
It comes down to three games for me

-Galaxy 1 is probably the most epic 3d Mario game and close to the most epic Mario game ever(super Mario rpg takes that crown). The level design for galaxy is top notch the graphics are beautiful and it introduces so many new things it's just an incredible platformer. Every level was a visual feast and expertly crafted.the only negative would be it was maybe a little to linear but that the variety in the game was so vast that it's easy to get passed that.

-Mario 64 is easily the most replayable Mario game imo.Ive personally beaten 8 times across two platforms(N64 and Ds). It's also the first game I played on N64 and it completely blew my mind. The game felt so big, so many ways to get stars, so much freedom with movement. It was fun learning and mastering different techniques. It would be my desert island game without a doubt.

-Super Mario Bros 3
My favorite 2d Mario experience hands down.Not only is it special to me because it was the first video game I actually olayed but it was one that I was able to play with friends and family. So many memories of me and my cousins taking turns trying to get as far as possible despite our lack of motor skills. I remember when we reached the angry sun, oh my God we never laughed so hard as we ran for our little lives. the battle mode was also something we had a lot of fun with, attempting to see how long we could stay alive while simultaneously trying to cause each others
Demise.I think there were weekends where we spent more time in battle than the actual game lol. Speaking of the actual game it's brilliant still today, from the art style to the controls to the level design. It's just an amazing experience from start to finish and really does feel like a grand adventure even with it's limited story.

zoodoo

I never liked 2D Mario games. After 10 mins I get super bored. Growing up, playing NES, all the kids in my neighborhood and my friends were all into Super mario Bros. Not me, zelda was my game; exploring, finding new items and being able to save my progress, made the experience so much better then the time waster that was the original mario to me. Mario 2 and 3 came out and I completely ignored them due to my previous experience with the original. I think I first bothered trying them way later in Super Mario All-Stars. I probably would've like 3 if I had given it a chance.

Then came N64. A friend in school , the rich one :), got one soon after launch with Mario 64 and Mortal kombat Trilogy. I was super into MK back then so I had to try MK trilogy. That was all I could think about, waiting for Friday as that was the only day I was allowed to go to friend's house during school time. Mario 64? Nah kids stuff.

We got to his house as planned but his younger brother beat us to the living room and turned on the console with the mario catridge in it. I heard the "it's me Mario" and saw mario's face. My jaw dropped. I saw some blurry images of the game before in magazines but never though it would look and sound that good. The kid started running around the castle, turning the camera and making mario do all kind of sounds. I had to have this game.

Later that day, walking home, i met a neighbor of mine who was into video games also and explained to him what i just played. "Mario was talking and you can ran around in 3D and turn the camera..." I wouldn't shut up about it. He did not believe me. He thought i was bullshitting. We had some game magazines but did not speak a word of english. So all we could rely on were the blurry pictures and drawings which, back then, did not represent how a game actually looked.

The next Christmas, my adopted cousin (he lived with my family and was my best friend) asked his father for a N64 and got it with Mario 64, NBA courtside, Wave Race and Star Fox. We played the shit out of those games. To this day Mario 64 remains the best 3D platformer ever. Galaxy was good but not THAT good. If they remake mario 64 on switch, day 00000. The ds remake was a letdown and not the right time to bring it back(Dpad???).

I still don't like 2D Mario.

Eblo

There was nothing quite like seeing and playing Super Mario 64 for the first time when it came out. It wasn't just a transition of 2D to 3D platforming; it was the perfection of it. The Galaxy games are good as well, but 64 was so revolutionary for its time. I still replay it regularly.

Siebendud

Neo Member
Super Mario world, easily the most addicting Mario game for me.

Sunshine: I love the summer vacation setting and some of the areas/levels were incredible fun.

I love 64 and galaxy as well but not as much as the other two.

ZeoVGM

Banned
For 2D, Super Mario World.

For 3D, Super Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2, which are both basically as perfect as any video game has ever been.

Robiin

Nostalgia says Mario 64, my mind says Galaxy. My mind also tells me to finally play Galaxy 2 past the first Yoshi level. But I really don't like Yoshi.

Also have fond memories playing through 3D World with my girlfriend at the start of our relationship.

k41m

Super Mario Galaxy by far, i really wanted to play it, actually i bought a wii in order to get my hand on it, and when the moment finally came, it surpassed all my expectations.

OOh that ost.

I thought Super Mario 64 would be the obvious answer, but it's actually Mario Kart 64. Well damn.

That was the game that made me want an N64 (and after a year of pleading, my brother and I got one). It's still fun to throw on a working console and play with friends to this day.

ramparter

Banned
So much nostalgia for Super Mario Bros. Then theres Super Mario Galaxy which is awesome and made me feel like a child again. And then theres Super Mario Galaxy 2 which surpassed the original in many ways...

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Sunshine.
I love the setting and the FLUDD mechanics made for the best platforming I've ever experienced. It also had a really nice difficulty compared to the other 3D games which were a bit on the easy side.

Not quite as refined as Sunshine, but I felt it had better level designs.

Galaxy 1+2.
The mechanics are smooth as butter. Didn't really like the gravity gimmick though. It didn't really add anything. You just run from orb to orb, into little star things that shoot you to the next orb. Almost no memorable levels. No exploration. The games are also pathetically easy with the exception of the bonus levels.

It would be between Galaxy and 64. 64 blew me away when it came out. By the time Galaxy came around, I figured I was beyond being blown away by anything game related but Galaxy consumed me entirely when it was first released. Honestly there's more imaginative design on display in the Galaxy games than most publishers manage in an entire generation.

Courage

Super Mario 64

buY7la3.gif

mario64ttch5u3w.gif

tumblr_m8bv8qjfj41r2op6ko1_400.gif

Nintendo nailed the 3D interative platforming playground on their first attempt. A timeless game that importantly still feels great to play, and offers enough freedom and open ended design to be tackled in any way the player wants.

Sothpaw

Galaxy 1, but I have not played Galaxy 2 yet so that could easily change.

For least favorite, I really dislike Sunshine. I beat it for the first time last week, and that game is just an effort in frustration (that camera).

This game is my favorite. It captures the essence of my then-childhood favorite (I remember getting the game for my 9th Birthday in '90) Super Mario 3 and perfects it, with the feel of Mario 64. Its like a cross breed of these two. The levels, the gameplay and the 3D effect make it sublime.

Comparatively, Mario 3D World was such a let down.

KiN0

Super Mario Galaxy Duology is probably my favorite. Incredibly imaginative level designs and world themes, soundtracks that celebrate mario music while bringing in new sounds the franchise has never had before, and some genuine attempts at storytelling that never get heavy-handed or stupid. I can't really choose one over the other since they work together so well, but I will admit that galaxy 2 offers a much more satisfying level of challenge.

However, I will always hold a special place in my heart for Sunshine. The game had charm to spare, but was let down by a malfunctioning camera and insipid storyline that forever ruined princess peach.

KHlover

Banned
Either 3D World, NSMBWii or NSMBU.

Reason: That juicy, juicy four (or five) player coop. NSMBWii taught me that Mario is a much, much better coop game than SP game :p

Super Mario 64 is IMO the best Mario game of all time. It was simply perfect.

Runner up: Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World.

I have very fond memories of both, but I think Mario 3 edges it.

andymcc

Banned
SMB3 for 2D and 3D World for 3D.

I definitely poured the most time into 64 but it’s better in my memory than in actuality. I expect odyssey to feel like 64 again.

HvySky

Super Mario World. Platforming perfected.

Galaxy 1 and 2 are close behind though. Simply delightful in every sense of the word.

PixelatedBookake

It's Super Mario Galaxy y'all. Don't pretend like you didn't shed a tear hearing the Gutsy Garden Galaxy theme for the first time. Playing that level with that music, it was an experience.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Super Mario World

but Mario 64 blew me way technically.

guyssorry

The Galaxy games, because they are easily the best: level design, music, bosses, gameplay, diversity, creativity, etc. I hope Odyssey can finally be the game that beats them

V-Faction

I remember playing Super Mario Land at a Boy Scout troop member's house in the lower living room on his Game Boy, playing Super Mario Bros. 3 at another Boy Scout friend's basement, playing regular Super Mario Bros. in an RV owned by family friends while it was parked at a lodging ground for a get-together, playing Super Mario Bros. 2 WITH GAME GENIE at a school friend's house with his brother, playing Super Mario World on the communal Super Nintendo at my kindercare facility (never really saw it at Toys'R'Us kiosks, that was usually Donkey Kong Country), playing Super Mario Kart in yet another friend's basement/bar while I was supposed to be working on a 3rd-Grade social studies project, and playing Super Mario 64 for the first time at a friend's mom's house in the exercise room -- the only game he had available for months.

The fact is... Mario, in my memories, is synonymous with friends and playing on a console not of my own. Didn't own an NES, didn't get a Super Nintendo till after the N64 came out (and I returned it), and never really bought the Mario series for my Game Boy collection. I don't own Super Mario 64 for my Nintendo 64. Sacrilege, I know. However, they still left a big imprint on me. Eventually, I got the re-releases when I got older when they came out and beat those to completion. In High School it was the GBA versions, in college it was Super Mario 64DS.

But right now? I'll say SMS, because it's fresh in my memory (and happens to be one of the ones I've played to 100%). But Y'know, it can change. It always has.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Super Mario Galaxy is my favorite. 2 is good as well, of course, but the memories I have playing the first one are just really strong. It was just one of those games where I was happy the whole time I was playing it. Just a joy from beginning to end.

Lothars

I think Super Mario World is my favorite, just an unrivaled game. It's incredible and still holds up, Super Mario 64 is my favorite 3D mario and remember the first time I saw that. I was literally blown away.

DekuLink

Super Mario Sunshine.
It's far from perfect, but I love the controls, the silly story, the hub-world, the stages. It's cozy and sweet, nostalgic and fun, and the music is lovely.

Chiramii

SM64 blew my mind as a kid, but it will never dethrone SMB3 for me. SMB3 is perfection. Controls, music, level design and variety in worlds and power-ups. It's got everything you can ask for and a little bit more.

Paasei

Super Mario World.

Mostly because of nostalgia. One of my first ever games I played. The amount of hidden exits/secret worlds was mind blowing to. It discovered my urge to always look for them in almost any game I play today.
Wether it's easter eggs, hard to get places, simple hidden secret area's. I'm all in for that sort of stuff because of this game.

Both Galaxy 1 and Galaxy 2 are my favorites. Both have their unique strengths. Galaxy 1 was more ambitious (obviously) and had a few more open levels. It also had a slighter bigger emphasis on story that I appreciated since unlike Sunshine, it was actually handled well.

Galaxy 2 may have been less impressive in many ways, since it reused so many elements from the first Galaxy, but the game had a stronger sense of focus and did a better just at constantly throwing different scenarios at the player while still keeping that sense of wonder that the original nailed.

Super Mario 64 was the first Nintendo game I ever owned (I only owned a Genesis before that) and it was really eye opening. I remember me and my small circle of friends always talking on the playground about new secret Stars we found. I don't think I actually got everything until a few years later. I remember finding the secret level where you get the Wing Cap thanks to a friend it was an amazing moment.

While 3D Land and World are fun games, they lacked the wow factor that the earlier 3D Mario games, and that's why they were a letdown to me. Odyssey is clearly the opposite though. So far the game looks like it'll be absolutely filled to the brim with surprises at every turn and I can't wait! I decided to go on blackout after that last Direct so hopefully asshole don't spoil the game on youtube with clickbait thumbnails...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
2D:

Super Mario Bros. 3: This, in my opinion, was when Mario games went from "good" to "legendary". The original SMB may have been incredibly influential, but it was also simplistic, repetitive, and if we're being totally honest with ourselves, quite boring actually. SMB2 improved greatly over SMB in many ways, but also took some step sideways and backwards too.

SBM3, however, took everything good about SMB, turbocharged it, and added a whole slew of new features and challenges, a massive variety of themed worlds and new powerups, and essentially set the template for all future Mario platformers.

Super Mario World: Basically like SMB3, but with better controls, more of a focus on exploration, larger levels, and the ability to replay levels, which we honestly take for granted nowadays. From just a functionality perspective, this is probably my favorite 2D Mario, just bareley eeking out SMB3.

Honorable mentions: NSMBW, NSMBU

3D:

Super Mario Galaxy: This game is virtually the perfect Mario game I imagined in my head for many years. It does practically everything that I wanted in a Mario game. Brilliant platforming, numerous themed levels, a brilliant central mechanic, excellent level design, gorgeous graphics, a killer soundtrack, and just all around excellence. My three only real complaints are that 1) it would have been nice if the power ups were permanent instead of temporary 2) there were more sandbox type levels 3) if the moveset and controls were a bit deeper like SM64 and Sunshine. But in the grand scheme of things, these are nitpicks at best.

Super Mario Galaxy 2: Basically like SMG, but with better level design. So why is this no. 2? Because although SMG2 is excellent and arguably better in terms of gameplay, one of the great things about SMG was the novelty factor. Sure, SMG2 is wonderful, but it's also pretty much an expansion pack, which is why to this day I'm surprised gaf hasn't ripped it to shreds like it would any other game that attempted such a thing *cough* Zelda *cough*. But regardless, it's amazing.

Honorable mentions: SM64, SMS

Top Bottom