• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In order for GameStop to survive, they will need to go retro.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
There are a couple of retro gaming stores in my area that deal in everything from as old as the NES and Sega, all the way up to games for consoles two generations back, such as PS3, Xbox 360 and the Nintendo Wii. I've noticed these stores see a lot of traffic, more busy than I ever see GameStop get, except for during the holidays.

GameStop could get out of their multi year decline by dealing in both retro and current gen. They can absolutely cater to both markets and do it efficiently. Perhaps some locations would have to move to a bigger store to accommodate this inventory, but I've also seen GameStop where a good 60 percent of the floor and wall space is non-game merch, such as t-shirts, stuffed plush toys, trading cards and board games.

But taking a video game store and trying to reinvent themselves as a toys and collectibles store clearly hasn't turned them around in the last several years. And as a regular customer, I don't see very many people walking up to the counter with these items. Seems to me if they filled all that space being used for alternate merch with retro game cases, they'd have more sales. Especially with modern games going more and more digital. The fact that Sony and Microsoft decided to offer physical copies of games for the fifth generation consoles arguably saved GameStop.. for now. Good chance that won't be the case next time around. At that point, either they've become known as the only brick and mortar retro gaming store that exists in every town in America, or its curtains for GameStop because they'll have nothing left to sell.

The writing is on the wall for GameStop.
Just look at the astounding popularity of the Xbox Series S and how that spill over into the next generation.
Gamers are slowly, but surely, moving on to an all digital future, with the XSS acting as a whetted Trojan Horse.
Either GameStop adapts or they'll be unceremoniously left in the dust.

Thank you for reading my post and make sure to like, comment, and subscribe! :)

already-dead.gif

*Nightwing

We gamers are far too emotionally invested in some things and have kept this company alive despite it treating its employees as an inexhaustible resource, and the loyalty of its customers as an afterthought

LET IT DIE ALREADY

ZoukGalaxy

What's the deal with your subliminal colors ? Trying to wash our brains ? o_O

BTW: They can DIE

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I agree, in my hometown there's a Disc Replay, it's wall to wall with pretty much any console you could think of. It's always crowded. Right next door is a gamestop, there's literally no reason to go into the gamestop. I always stop in when I'm visiting and spend like $50 on retro games.

My issue with gamestop is that it's filled to the brim with absolute bullshit and I'm so tired of their incessant need to pitch things to me. I know it's required for the staff to do it but no, I don't want to subscribe to your rewards program, I don't even know what the points do and GI isn't even a magazine worth reading anymore, sadly.

Going into a gamestop is a borderline nightmare but I still do it here and there cause I feel like it's my duty to support the only game store in town, even if the shopping experience is awful.

Havoc2049

Brick and mortar retail space is a tough place to be in, especially in an industry that is going digital. Also, there isn't enough retro stock out there to fill all their stores. And compared to mainstream video games, retro gaming is a small market.

Last edited:

FStubbs

There are some things they can try in addition to embracing retro:

1) Close at least 60% of their stores. They don't need nearly as much retail space as they occupy
2) Truly be Gamestop. Branch out into board games, card games, etc.
3) Store redesign. Stop being the dingy place that it is, and to your point, go retro. Be exciting to go into (this ties into #1 as well - it's not exciting when it's everywhere)
4) Treat employees better. Reducing the workforce means the employees you have left you can pay more and treat better
5) Embrace rentals. That's something the online stores can't do as easily (though I guess if streaming ever breaks the laws of physics and works, it could do rentals)

Kagey K

Banned
They are probably regretting trashing all the old systems and games years ago. If they would have hung onto that stock they'd be ready to go. :messenger_winking:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
How much demand is there for retro gaming stuff? How much volume would there be? How many people are going to go trade in their retro games/consoles?

I find it hard to believe there would be enough to make even a tiny blip in their revenue.

This is a market that is best served by small specialty stores.

Tuff McNutt

How much demand is there for retro gaming stuff? How much volume would there be? How many people are going to go trade in their retro games/consoles?

I find it hard to believe there would be enough to make even a tiny blip in their revenue.

Retro gaming has had a big resurgence with COVID. Even dirt common games are worth a lot more than even a couple of years ago. You also have the arcade cabinets from companies like Arcade1Up. They already sell retro stuff online, so I assume they have a bunch of their old stock in a warehouse somewhere. If anything, GS would be more appealing to me (and I would bet others as well) if they had retro game stuff in it versus Funko Pop shit or overpriced action figures.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They'll do what GAME in the UK does and focus more on gaming merch that actually has a benefit from being seen before bought. Nobody needs to hold a copy of a game in their hand to decide if they're gonna buy it, but a T-Shirt might be too small or a crappy material.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
We have good retro shops in town that are local. They are still fading as well. A lot of those old systems don't work forever, and most can hardly even hook up to modern TVs now.

A few will hang on by a thread, but the business is dying for sure. I don't think that would be enough to save Gamestops nationwide. A few would hang on in bigger / mid-sized cities. And the market for older games is rapidly fading as well, as most younger people probably don't want them.

GS will want to plan national strategies that tell investors that they're planning for the future, and your idea probably wouldn't persuade them.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Retro gaming has had a big resurgence with COVID. Even dirt common games are worth a lot more than even a couple of years ago. You also have the arcade cabinets from companies like Arcade1Up. They already sell retro stuff online, so I assume they have a bunch of their old stock in a warehouse somewhere. If anything, GS would be more appealing to me (and I would bet others as well) if they had retro game stuff in it versus Funko Pop shit or overpriced action figures.
Yeah but the reason those retro antique games are valuable is because they’re rare. If there were a Gamestop-scale inventory of it (which there isn’t) then it would be dirt cheap.

Now if they wanted to sell retro-style arcade cabinets, that would be a cool idea (do they not sell those already? Haven’t been inside a GameStop since mid-2017)

We get these retro stores around here as well. Mostly it's just people sitting at tables playing card/board games. Not actually buying anything. They usually stick around for a year or two then close only for another to open across town.
I have this (most likely bad idea) To Repurpose a multiscreen movie theater and divide the space up into multiple rentable smaller spaces with big screen TV's and nice seating. Rooms will be big and small. 5 or 10 seats and one big venue screen. You can do whatever in these rooms. Watching movies, Board games, card games, video games, VR games, Karaoke. The place will also have food and drinks that you can order up to the room. Retro games in the shop downstairs
But best of all Public Bathrooms with staff that cleans.
Just send me your investment money. We can't lose.

emivita

Gamestop is shit anyway, at least their webstore is. I bought different games there as new, and they sent me used copies. Submitted multiple support tickets with pictures of their used game labels on the case, and they insisted they sent me new copies and won't refund me.
Sure Jan. Gamestop no more for me. Amazon all the way.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
They should close most of their stores and the ones left should be used as basis to provide a quicker delivery/technical assistance and display gaming merch that benefits from being seeing before bought.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief

Much like your avatar, the retro market has been sonic-booming!
Just look at the prices of Saturn, GCN, and even Pokémon games. There's real money to be made there, combined with whatever current generation accessories they'd want to sell.
And soon enough, it's not like GameStop will have a choice.
The physical realm is being phased out by all the major players in the industry.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Much like your avatar, the retro market has been sonic-booming!
Just look at the prices of Saturn, GCN, and even Pokémon games. There's real money to be made there, combined with whatever current generation accessories they'd want to sell.
And soon enough, it's not like GameStop will have a choice.
The physical realm is being phased out by all the major players in the industry.
I responded to this in post 22.

Kuranghi

GameStop will need to start offering handjabs with every purchase if they want to survive, thats the only way I'd put myself through their (or my UK shop equivalents) horrendous customer service ever again.

i went to gamestop in October. They had nothing older than PS4/XB1 on the shelves. When i asked where the older games are. I was told they have some in a drawer....and they could print me a list of what they had.

EACEOoftheyear

Neo Member
Most of y’all have no clue what GameStop’s been working on and it shows lol. For starters they gutted the board that had been tanking the company and bleeding them dry.
They paid off their long term debt, and are sniping top talent from Amazon, Chewy, MS, and more. And got almost 2 Bil, yeah with a B in the bank in cash. They’re not going anywhere for some time.

Gamestop and the new board is looking to the future, not the past. Jim Bell and George Sherman got canned for being snakes and screwing their base over. The new board is here to offer you a great experience bar none. Shit, just read the letter the new chairman of the board wrote to the old board about his direction, itll hype you up. They’re looking to position themselves as an e-commerce titan and have an internal tech start up currently working on some cool stuff that if I told you, you wouldn’t believe.

This is coming from someone who did not like GameStop 2 years ago. Times they sure are a changin’. Don’t let the past dictate your future.

This is absurd. For lot's of reason but most obviously...Gamestop has 5000 retail locations. How the fuck are they going to supply 5000 stores with any kind of reasonable inventory of retro games and devices?

SpiceRacz

GameStop doesn't have the capacity in their stores to sell current gen, retro, and all the other bullshit. I will say though, I have several independent game stores in my area and they're always busy.

I disagree, I think they need to figure out how to use blockchains and smart contracts to create ownership records on digital goods so that they (and publishers) can make small incremental profits on digital game sales in a peer to peer network. Retro stuff is just a small portion of the business and it's very niche. There are rumors that they're working with Loopring to create this type of technology. I've loaded up on GS shares and Loopring coins in anticipation. :messenger_rocket:

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Yeah but the reason those retro antique games are valuable is because they’re rare. If there were a Gamestop-scale inventory of it (which there isn’t) then it would be dirt cheap.

Now if they wanted to sell retro-style arcade cabinets, that would be a cool idea (do they not sell those already? Haven’t been inside a GameStop since mid-2017)

Depends on where you live. Here in the Phoenix Metro area, all of these retro game stores have more games than they can put on shelves. Piles of games and consoles behind the counters.

kondorBonk

Incentives to direct purchases has been their strategy for a while. They just need to find worth while items. I do think if they get enough games on board, digital goods using NFTs is a valid option or using them as some kind of asset registry.

I can see especially in a social game space something like: "I made this hat. This hat belongs to me. It makes me unique. I went through the effort to make it unique through this system so I am one of a kind". Going to a Gamestop to upload/register a model or skin that can only be owned by you.

I can see it for competitive or limited time incentives. "I got third place in the 2021 contest. Me and only 2 other people have this item. It holds value to me, it makes me unique. No one can replicate it and if I so choose, I can sell it".

Board game/ cards games. Anything "games" was a good idea.
Rentals was a good suggestion. Especially with peripherals is something like a Guitar Hero ever became popular again.

Top Bottom