• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In our eight generation of gaming, are you disc/cart, digital or both?

Not including indie games, are you all digital, all disc/cart or a mix of both?

• All Disc/Cart Games

Votes: 48 21.5%
  • All Digital Games

Votes: 64 28.7%
  • Mixture of both Disc/Cart & Digital

Votes: 111 49.8%

• Total voters

Jeeves

All digital on PC, mixed on consoles.

Any game that I will play through once and not come back to until I feel like replaying it (most single player games), I will get a physical copy.

For games that I know I'll be coming back to often (Smash for instance), I'll get it digital for convenience's sake.

It's the best of both worlds, I get a shelf of games I can admire and lend out, and I only have to swap carts/discs when I'm done playing one for the foreseeable future. And it doesn't use a ton of digital storage.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
My purchasing style has been the same for about a decade now. Get the game physical, if there's a physical option. If it's a digital only release, wait for massive discount or physical release (6 mos to a year). If a game is insanely discounted in general (80%+ off), I may purchase digital, even if physical is available.

All of the above applies to console purchases. PC is all digital, with the exception of a few collectors editions.

I'm fully digital now. It saves money (I don't just buy stuff thinking I can just resell it later), space and it's more convenient (preloads, no switching discs/carts). I renounced all physical goodies and merchandise too, to keep my place clutter free. I understand the dangers of digital games and libraries, but I'm willing to accept those.

lock2k

Banned
In my country (Australia) digital is very expensive compared to physical. You can get a Day 1 release for $64 or $69 AUD in a couple major retail chains but if I were to buy digital it's $99.95.

It also takes a very long time for the digital version to drop in price, usually only when there is a sale a lot later, it might go down to say $69 but then the physical game in store has already dropped to $50 or $40.

I blame EB games as the physical copy on release in their stores are $99.95 and as they are a major distributor apparently there is a deal with Sony not to undercut the RRP price of $99.95. I hope EB Games dies in the ass and then we can have digital copies in line with physical copy prices. It's absolute bullshit that we pay more for something that did not cost any extra with a box and cover art etc.

I love that I can buy used games cheaper and on sell them for similar cost but I do hate swapping discs out of the console, I can be very indecisive and its a tedious exercise when you keep switching between games.

We should be able to gift over digital games to other people's accounts. Fuck you Sony and Microsoft for not allowing this!
It's the contrary in Brazil. Physical stores rape the fuck out of you and digital storefronts have amazing promotions and that's why I moved to digital

90% Physical copies of my games on both my Xbox and PS4. I'd only buy digital on PS4 since they always have flash sales and are tooo good to pass up..

Griffon

During this gen I bought 3 physical games on PS4 because it was cheaper than the PSN price. So there's that.

But 99% of my games are on PC, so yeah, I'm all digital.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Physical if it is available and not some LIMITED EDITION ONLY PHYSICAL SHIT.
This
So
Much

Eh dude i got a super rare limited edition dipshit ultra rare cover wanna buy the cover?

Did i mention this is a

L I M I T E D R U N

FIRST 10 COPIES HAVE MY FART IN THE CASE !
GO GET ONE NOW

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I only buy disc for games that I feel have collector's value or games I know I would want to get rid of eventually. Everything else is digital.

PC games are all digital.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This
So
Much

Eh dude i got a super rare limited edition dipshit ultra rare cover wanna buy the cover?

Did i mention this is a

L I M I T E D R U N

FIRST 10 COPIES HAVE MY FART IN THE CASE !
GO GET ONE NOW
inb4 scalpers buy em all and resell said game for 20+bucks more than what it goes for digitally. A 4gb game at best too.

Iorv3th

Both. Been doing more digital though lately. I like not having to carry extra carts around for the switch and Ps4 usually has good digital sales or same price as physical when buying new.

GrayFoxPL

Both.

Huge games I prefer on disc since I don't have to redownload ass sized files every time.

Small games like arcade titles or old game collections are much more comfortable to fire up in digital.

Physical, I'm never going digital on console. If the day comes where console makers don't support physical I'll either switch to PC or by then I'll have enough games to last a lifetime and will just stick with retro gaming.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Everything.

I want cheaper and digital just rarely is there even with sales.

The trick is to buy store credit from third party sites rather than just topping up directly. I got £35 for £28.69 on CDKeys recently, instant saving of almost 20%. Same applies for PS+ and Gold.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
It's going to suck when these eshop stores close down (they all do----Wii for example) and if your console goes dead (or HD) then you will have no way to re-download. Every digital game will be lost (unless you buy them again on a new console)

Last edited:

Quezacolt

It's going to suck when these eshop stores close down (they all do----Wii for example) and if your console goes dead (or HD) then you will have no way to re-download. Every digital game will not
Exactly. i'm glad that most games i want, even on the ps4, i dont have to deal with mandatory day 1 patches for the game to work.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
There are already heated debates in the shmup community and the speedrunning community as to what constitutes "cheating" and therefore what hardware is or isn't acceptable to use when attempting a high score or a run. Obvious things like using save-states or using modded controllers are off limits, but what about turbo? Some shmups include it as a dipswitch option and so it isn't always seen as cheating. Should you be allowed to use a MiSTer + low-latency panel instead of original arcade hardware to attempt a national or world record?

In another corner of the gaming world, Smash Melee fans resort to scrounging for Gamecubes/controllers and haul CRTs around (because the input lag on a panel is too significant for top-end players). What happens when the demand for Melee surpasses the amount of hardware available to host these tournaments?

At some point each community will have to go through these arguments and will have to settle where they draw the line, and in the meanwhile owning the original copies settles the debate without much fuss.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Since the start of this gen in 2013 I went completely digital. Never even used that disk drive. I don't see myself changing this. If the game was worth it, I just paid the full price (around 50 EUR), and now with Game Pass I haven't bought a game for a long time. Might buy Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order digital soon, I saw that it was only 30 EUR on some websites.

Last edited by a moderator:

DonF

I go for the cheapest even though I prefer digital now. The convenience of digital is awesome on switch. I don't have to worry about those little little cartridges. Or swapping discs on ps4.

TheContact

I’m leaning more towards digital only because I don’t trade games in anymore and it’s more convenient to use digital rather than having to swap discs and carts all the time. I’d rather just buy a large SSD or SD card and not have to worry anymore

Dis

I was brought up with KaZaa DC++ bittorrent and all of that.

Im not gonna pay to download console games. Im all disc. 💪

Especially FF7 remake
Im all for disc + pretty edition

So far it has been real interesting, I was expecting a lot more people to be all digital compared to straight disc/cart or mixed. The one thing that does suck is not being able to possibly download your games in the future, but hopefully that won't happen anytime soon (although, that P.T. demo is long gone), but like a lot of you, just the convenience of having all digital is nice so you don't have to mess with discs or carts and I feel like I actually play more because of it since most of time I will just be sitting on my couch and get an itch to play a certain game. Also, I am lucky that my ISP has no data caps which I know also presents another problem with some people.

Everything.

The trick is to buy store credit from third party sites rather than just topping up directly. I got £35 for £28.69 on CDKeys recently, instant saving of almost 20%. Same applies for PS+ and Gold.
True. I've used cdkeys for gold and ea access but that's about it.

KiteGr

Always physical, with the sole exceptions being:
  1. Pc games, as physical no longer exists there (even the few disked releases are so filled with drms that they are pointless). Even so, I mostly get obscure old games from steam that are ether to hard to find, or don't function well on consoles.
  2. Pirated games. I've got to play region locked games somehow!

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
With Gamepass I'm trending all digital. Better for the environment, more convenient, less clutter on the shelf. I've been all digital on PC for the last however many years already anyways and it's only a matter of time before we're there in the console verse. I''m also fortunate enough to have good internet so that's obviously a major hurdle I've overcome.

The only benefits to physical these days are trade ins but I imagine these stores will be gone in the next five years so that will be obsolete.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
It's going to suck when these eshop stores close down (they all do----Wii for example) and if your console goes dead (or HD) then you will have no way to re-download. Every digital game will be lost (unless you buy them again on a new console)

My account purchases on XBL from the 360 era are still on my account and can be redownloaded on the One X. 10 years later.

That’s a Nintendo problem... thus avoid buying digital for Nintendo when they scrap their crap digital and online infrastructure for their next failed attempt at it.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Went all digital due to sharing .
Also digital due to some sweet deals B&M stores dont have.
Went full digital due to fuck traffic. Big fuck you.
Like not to change discs.
And with my 300mb internet for $70can. a month i have no trouble downloading games in a short amount of time.

Last edited:
I've always been physical first. I buy digital when it's only available in that format. I've never purchased a physical game that was cheaper in digital format (Nintendo gamer primarily + GCU [until May], which is probably why). I do, however, prefer the convenience of digital ... so my Wii U has all my games ripped from GC, Wii and Wii U. Ditto for 3DS (3DS, DS, GBA, GB). I'm hoping the Switch is cracked in the future to allow ripping Switch carts in a similar manner ... but they're small enough that I can travel with them easily regardless.

Top Bottom