• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In search for a movie from my childhood, but I don't know the name!

Posted for ShadowFX ShadowFX

I'm looking for a movie from my childhood I rented quite a few times on VHS. I wondered about it for years and years. I'm not even sure if it's really a movie by itself, or part of something else, live action or animated, though I'm leaning towards the latter. I'm pretty sure it's from the 80s or early 90s.

I vision a rainy environment, with a large rusty robot, having a rather large head. It seems it rides by a human being (who is quite a bit smaller) that stands on some kind of platform higher up. Eventually the robot looks up a bit in the rain and almost shuts down (something along the lines of Optimus Prime in the movie Transformers 1986 when he color fades and shuts down).

That's all I have for now. Hopefully it rings a bell for someone, or maybe I can be pointed in a direction where I can find out more. I have looked at various sources over the years, but I didn't come across anything that resembles my memories :(

ShadowFX ShadowFX , have you tried focusing by closing your eyes and thinking about something you might've eaten or drank when you watched it? Clearing some details might help find it, especially in regards to whether it's live action or animated. If animated how did the human look like. And a bit clearer on what's meant by "stands on some kind of platform higher up".

If animated then Mazinger sounded like the closest I found, though I'm unsure about the rust parts, as I haven't seen any of Mazinger and rust seemed like lacking in most of the pictures I found. It at least has a pilot on a platform high up. God Mazinger and MazinSaga seems to be the ones fitting timewise, but it might be some of the earlier ones depending on when localization happened. Mazinger Z at least seems like it fits the platform description, it started airing in 1985 under the name Tranzor Z.

Last edited:

ShadowFX

RokkanStoned RokkanStoned I will try that out.
I really can't remember how the human looked like, it was some platform and the robot was behind it at some point. Also, it was quite serious in tone (no vibrant colors or happy anime style), though it could be that only the scene I remembered was like that.

As of now, I don't think Mazinger fits... though thank you for trying!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Sounds like iron giant to me. What else happened in the movie? Do you remember the general idea of the story?

ShadowFX

The Iron Giant can't be it, I have also never seen that movie.
Unfortunately, I can't recall any logo or the general idea of the story. I was right when I told myself this will be tough to find, but I got to start somewhere!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
The Iron Giant can't be it, I have also never seen that movie.
Unfortunately, I can't recall any logo or the general idea of the story. I was right when I told myself this will be tough to find, but I got to start somewhere!

what did the robot look like? can you think of an example of something you do know that it looks like?

how did the robot operate? by itself, or did someone else use it or something? did it look humanoid or have certain colors?

bitbydeath

Astro boy would no doubt have scenes like that in the old cartoons, might have even been this big guy.

25brutonastro.jpg

Googling that I also found this-

images

way more

The rain causing the robot to fail seems like it should make this easier to find.

Robot Jox doesn't have a scene like that but maybe you are conflating things.

images

images

Robot_jox.jpg

Last edited:

DiscoJer

There was a short lived live action Japanese '60 TV show called "Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot". While it could fly, it was also giant and Johnny would often ride in its hand. At the end of the show, the giant robot would fight a giant monster. While not really rusty (he was grey), he did have a strange large head like the headdress of an Egyptian pharaoh.

It's remarkably violent for a kids show. Or any show, I don't think I've ever seen another show where a kid carries a pistol and shoots villains. But it was syndicated widely in the 70s and 80s and is shown on Comet TV on Sunday (just watched it) after MST3k

Last edited:

lachesis

When was your child hood? 80's? 90's? That would be a start.

Giant Robo OVA does seem to be fitting in the bill..

Giant_Robo_-_The_Animation.jpg

Halo0629

The rain causing the robot to fail seems like it should make this easier to find.

Robot Jox doesn't have a scene like that but maybe you are conflating things.

images

images

Robot_jox.jpg
Nice. I love this movie when I was a kid but had already forgotten the title.

Top Bottom