• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the 80s French secret service made a deal with Palestinianterrorists

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

France agreed not to target Palestinian terrorists who killed French Jews in Paris in 1982 if they refrained from carrying out further attacks on French soil, a former top spy revealed.

Yves Bonnet, who headed the now-defunct DST service in the 1980s, made the assertion in January to a judge investigating the 1982 attack in which six people were murdered and 22 injured at a kosher restaurant on Rosiers Street, Le Parisien reportedThursday.

The suspects in the attack on the Jo Goldberg deli are wanted for questioning per a 2015 French arrest warrant. One of the suspects lives in Jordan, another near Ramallah in the West Bank and a third in Norway, according to the CRIF umbrella group of French Jewish communities.

None of the relevant governments have agreed to extradite the suspects
, whom French investigators believe belonged to the Abu Nidal terrorist group, which splintered in 1974 from Fatah.

“We entered a sort of verbal deal which tells them: I want no more attacks on French soil, but I will allow you to come to France and guarantee nothing will happen to you,” Bonnet said, according to Le Parisien.

French authorities allowed two of the alleged perpetrators to visit their brothers in arms in French prisons after the 1982 attack, in which the terrorists threw grenades into the packed restaurant. It was the bloodiest anti-Semitic attack in France since World War II.
The French bowing down to terrorist color me surprised.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hayfield

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
Yeah the US has a long history of making such deals with terrorists. Probably all countries that have some type of power over international politics. The thing is history decides who are the terrorists. The terrorists for one side are the freedom fighters for the other so who is terrorist and who's not is basically decided by the winners.

Reactions: TheGreatYosh

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Yeah the US has a long history of making such deals with terrorists. Probably all countries that have some type of power over international politics. The thing is history decides who are the terrorists. The terrorists for one side are the freedom fighters for the other so who is terrorist and who's not is basically decided by the winners.
I guess you are right

The volumes confirm a long-rumored mutual non-aggression pact between authorities in Rome and the PLO, which led Italian authorities to allow terrorists behind the hijacking of the Italian liner Achille Lauro to escape in 1985.

Following the hijacking, in which wheelchair-bound American Jewish passenger Leon Klinghoffer was killed, a standoff ensued between Italian and US authorities over attempts to have the attackers brought to justice.

According to the diaries, then foreign minister Giulio Andreotti allowed hijacking mastermind Muhammad Zaidan, who went by the nom de guerre Abul Abbas, to escape US extradition and flee from Rome to Yugoslavia.

This followed a deal between Palestinians and Italian authorities over a decade earlier by which Palestinians would not carry out on attacks in Italy and Palestinian terrorists from the PLO, PFLP and other factions could have free movement throughout the country.

I wonder how much of the rest of Europe sold out its Jewish population for protection from Palestinian terrorists. My theory is that after the Palestinians ran rampant throughout the 70's and 80's across Europe, Europeans basically said as long as you kill Jews in Israel and leave Europeans out of it we will become pro-palestinan.

And I don't know how murdering 6 people at Jewish Deli in France is "freedom fighting"? I guess we can say the Christ Church killer and El Paso shooter were freedom fighters as well.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
So more Jews got attacked by Palestinians in France after? If so, that's more a problem with France giving hollow threats.
29 March 1985Bombing
0​
18​
Rivoli Beaubourg cinema bombing: Bomb attack against the Rivoli Beaubourg cinema in Paris during a Jewish film festival.[19][22][24]
7 December 1985Bombing
0​
43​
Double bomb attack against the Printemps Haussmann store in Paris, attributed to the Hezbollah.[22][23]
7 December 1985Bombing
0​
43​
Double bomb attack against the Printemps Haussmann store in Paris, attributed to the Hezbollah.[22][23]
20 March 1986Bombing
2​
29​
Bomb attack against the Point Show gallery on the Champs-Élysées by the CSPPA and Hezbollah.[22]
17 September 1986Bombing
7​
55​
Bomb attack against the Tati store on rue de Rennes in Paris, attributed to the CSPPA and Hezbollah.[1]
July-October 1995Bombings
8​
140+​
1995 Paris Métro and RER bombings, 8 bomb attacks carried out by the Armed Islamic Group.[1]
3 December 1996Bombing
4​
170​
1996 Paris Métro bombing. Bomb attack against the RER B Gare de Port-Royal in Paris, attributed to the Armed Islamic Group.[1]

The last 2 I can't say were involved with Palestinians or Jews, but cutting deals didn't stop Islamic terrorists and some could argue emboldend them.

11-22 March 2012Shooting
7​
5​
Toulouse and Montauban shootings, murders of three French paratroopers, and a French Rabbi and three French schoolchildren (aged eight, six and three), carried out over a period of 11 days by Mohammed Merah.[1]
7-9 January 2015Shooting
17 (+3)​
22​
January 2015 Île-de-France attacks, a mass shooting at the antifascist satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo office in Paris, carried out by Saïd and Chérif Kouachi, two Islamist gunmen who identified themselves as belonging to Al-Qaeda in Yemen.[1] During this period, a third Islamist gunman and close friend of the Kouachi brothers, Amedy Coulibaly was responsible for two shootings and an hostage taking at a Hypercacher kosher market. He said he synchronized his attacks with the Kouachi brothers. Coulibaly had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
3 February 2015Stabbing
0​
3​
3 military men, guarding a Jewish community center in Nice, are attacked by Moussa Coulibaly (not related to the January Coulibaly attacks).

And then you also hate the recent murder of 2 Jewish elderly women in France

But one reason the case became so notorious is that it fit into what has become a common narrative. France is the only country in Europe where Jews are periodically murdered for being Jewish. No fewer than 12 Jews have been killed in France in six separate incidents since 2003: Sébastien Selam, Ilan Halimi, Jonathan Sandler, Gabriel Sandler, Aryeh Sandler, Myriam Monsonégo, Yohan Cohen, Philippe Braham, François-Michel Saada, Yoav Hattab, Lucie Attal and Mireille Knoll.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TheGreatYosh