• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

In the American Imagination, Bonnie and Clyde are always white.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Cultural appropriation, triggered! Tweeting my senator and canceling the writer, director, producer, studio, and costume director of this movie.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
So... a film about a black couple that rise to fame ambushing and executing cops that stop to help them fix their car.

Oscar bait for sure. I mean, race bait. Because in the American imagination, Oscar is always white black brown green.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I guess they too are romanticizing Bonnie and Clyde, and not drawing inspiration from a fictional Natural Born Killers.

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
So... a film about a black couple that rise to fame ambushing and executing cops that stop to help them fix their car.

Oscar bait for sure. I mean, race bait. Because in the American imagination, Oscar is always white black brown green.
That's not what the movie is about. Have you seen the trailer? If so, how did you get the bolded from that?

Reactions: dragonfart28

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
In the movie, there's multiple layers to it. It's not anticop as there are cops shown who aren't stereotypical villains. It's not anti-white as there are those who saw injustice (the cop who tried to kill woman) and help the couple... It's a complex movie and I loved it! Saw an early showing recently.

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
I'm glad the communist Chinese marched with Martin Luther King to give them Eskimos their rights in the United States of South Canada.

That's the real imagined reality eh?

Reactions: DrJohnGalt

Stitch

Nov 26, 2006
Even Netflix didn't try to be so woke with their Bonnie and Clyde movie

Dec 15, 2011
Wear the wrong t-shirt and someone accuses you of racial sensitivity amounting to blackface.

Write a factually incorrect article, attempting to re-write accurate history with inaccurate narrative and "it's complex".

No it's not complex.
It's literally black and white.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
That's not what the movie is about. Have you seen the trailer? If so, how did you get the bolded from that?
How did I get a joke about the actual history of Bonnie and Clyde from something claiming to be about a modern retelling of Bonnie and Clyde?

Bonnie and Clyde are real people. They really did things. The entire topic is absurd... 'in the American Imagination, Bonnie and Clyde were white'..... yes, because in history, they were white. They ambushed and murdered cops.

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
But Vox did say it was a reimagination of the tale and... used a bunch of woke-speak to frame their narrative.
Trust me... Not a reimagining. They have no idea what they're talking about! First, they're not criminals like B&C were... 2.. I'm not going to spoil the movie! LOL
How did I get a joke about the actual history of Bonnie and Clyde from something claiming to be about a modern retelling of Bonnie and Clyde?

Bonnie and Clyde are real people. They really did things. The entire topic is absurd... 'in the American Imagination, Bonnie and Clyde were white'..... yes, because in history, they were white. They ambushed and murdered cops.
Oh ok. But the couple in the movie didn't ambush and murder cops. One cop got shot and killed in self defense when he was about to shoot and kill the lead female character (not a spoiler ... It's in the trailer)... Which leads them to become fugitives from the law. They aren't robbing banks and killing people... Vox is stupid and making crap up! I wish I could slap them all upside the head for their misleading crap!

Mar 18, 2018
Trust me... Not a reimagining. They have no idea what they're talking about! First, they're not criminals like B&C were... 2.. I'm not going to spoil the movie! LOL

Oh ok. But the couple in the movie didn't ambush and murder cops. One cop got shot and killed in self defense when he was about to shoot and kill the lead female character (not a spoiler ... It's in the trailer)... Which leads them to become fugitives from the law. They aren't robbing banks and killing people... Vox is stupid and making crap up! I wish I could slap them all upside the head for their misleading crap!
So you’re saying Vox got something wrong?

Harrumph, that is preposterous.

• LOL
Reactions: DeafTourette

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
So if I understand you correctly, you are saying they race swapped B&C and justified their crimes by whitewashing ambushing cops by replacing it with justified self defense against police brutality?

Just kidding, sort of. Sounds like it's only mildly based on B&C, and while the above is true [it is woke washed] it is different enough to not be too tightly connected with B&C lore. It's all a bit tiresome, really.

Reactions: DrJohnGalt

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
So if I understand you correctly, you are saying they race swapped B&C and justified their crimes by whitewashing ambushing cops by replacing it with justified self defense against police brutality?

Just kidding, sort of. Sounds like it's only mildly based on B&C, and while the above is true [it is woke washed] it is different enough to not be too tightly connected with B&C lore. It's all a bit tiresome, really.
I really CANNOT give anything away but trust me... It isn't "woke". It's a genuinely good story with a lot of layers. There are no villains... Except for the media, if you can call them that.

I think you and everyone in this thread should give it a try. It's different enough from what else is out there to at least make you laugh and cry.

Reactions: monegames

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
They just can’t resist injecting race into everything they do, think, or say. They’re infected with it. And it’s not even rational race-speak, its fucking garbage babble that means nothing. This fucking title sounds like it should be in the voice of the Movie Previews Man:

In the American imagination
Pause
Bonnie and Clyde were always WHITE.

God what a bunch of sick bastards

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
I really CANNOT give anything away but trust me... It isn't "woke". It's a genuinely good story with a lot of layers. There are no villains... Except for the media, if you can call them that.

I think you and everyone in this thread should give it a try. It's different enough from what else is out there to at least make you laugh and cry.
Good to hear the movie isn't what Vox was making it out to be. The thread wasn't really about the movie. It was that Vox was trying to say Bonnie and Clyde being white was some imaginary shit.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
The joke there went over your head I think...

• LOL
Reactions: DeafTourette

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
I just read the "article". I understand what they were saying now. I still stand behind what I said about the movie not being woke because it isn't.

All the previous Bonnie and Clyde retellings and reimaginings had white leads (even though the characters in all the movies weren't Bonnie & Clyde... Just using them as archetypes). Vox posits that having black leads somehow makes the story different and something to fear (by in-story white people and, if it actually happened, real-life white people).

I get it... But at the same time... JUST SAY IT'S LIKE BONNIE AND CLYDE AND LEAVE IT AT THAT!

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005

Oh we can and will, because they are.

Movies or real life, It's the way if things nowadays.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
I just read the "article". I understand what they were saying now. I still stand behind what I said about the movie not being woke because it isn't.

All the previous Bonnie and Clyde retellings and reimaginings had white leads
Yes. But why did the retellings all had white leads? White supremacy in Hollywood?

All the previous Bonnie and Clyde retellings had white leads BECAUSE BONNIE AND CLYDE WERE WHITE.

This is exactly the same as All the previous JFK retellings had a white JFK.
And
This is exactly the same as All the previous retellings of Marie Curie had a woman lead.
And
This is exactly the same as All the previous retellings of MalcolmX had a black lead.
And
This is exactly the same as All the previous retellings of Al Capone were about an Italian Mob boss.

This whole argument is retarded. Vice is retarded. The person that wrote the article is a retarded millenial that does not even know that Bonnie and Clyde were real people.
The movie in question is not even about Bonnie and Clyde. The author of the article just thinks it is becase is retard.

Last edited:
Reactions: oagboghi2 and Weiji

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
Yes. But why did the retellings all had white leads? White supremacy in Hollywood?

All the previous Bonnie and Clyde retellings had white leads BECAUSE BONNIE AND CLYDE WERE WHITE.

This is exactly the same as All the previous JFK retellings had a white JFK.
And
This is exactly the same as All the previous retellings of Marie Curie had a woman lead.
And
This is exactly the same as All the previous retellings of MalcolmX had a black lead.
And
This is exactly the same as All the previous retellings of Al Capone were about an Italian Mob boss.

This whole argument is retarded. Vice is retarded. The person that wrote the article is a retarded millenial that does not even know that Bonnie and Clyde were real people.
The movie in question is not even about Bonnie and Clyde. The author of the article just thinks it is becase is retard.
No, I'm saying the examples they gave. Thelma and Louise was a Bonnie and Clyde story, too. They were the originals (B&C) which is why they are the archetypes.

Like Superman is an archetype which gave rise to Hyperion, Gladiator, Supreme, etc.

Thelma and Louise... Queen and Slim... They follow the archetype of Bonnie and Clyde ... A doomed couple on the run from the law.

That's what the article was saying... The reimaginings with different characters BASED on Bonnie and Clyde have all been white... That's it. Not that the ACTUAL Bonnie and Clyde were white.

From the article:

The real-life Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow were thieves and criminals who captured national attention in the early 1930s, the press telling breathless (and sometimes souped-up) stories of their swaggering exploits. They died in an ambush on May 23, 1934, at the ages of 23 and 25, respectively, and their deaths became the seeds of a legend.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
The story has been retold on screen and in song many times since then, and always with an edge of revolt. Prominent directors have taken a crack at it, remixing the facts to tell their own tale: Nicholas Ray’s They Live By Night (1950), Arthur Penn’s Bonnie and Clyde (1967), Terence Malick’s Badlands (1973), Robert Altman’s Thieves Like Us (1974), Ridley Scott’s Thelma & Louise (1991), Oliver Stone’s Natural Born Killers (1994, from a screenplay by Quentin Tarantino), Kelly Reichardt’s River of Grass (1994), and David Lowery’s Ain’t Them Bodies Saints (2013) all trace their origins back to Bonnie and Clyde in one way or another.

And another trait these films share in common is that this glamorous, murderous American duo, no matter how much the details change in every retelling, has long been lodged in our national imagination as being white. Hollywood tells very different stories about being black, armed, and pursued by police.

It was possible to shade the story of a gun-toting white couple on the run from the law as glamorous and electric, a symbol of freedom and rebellion on the open road. But in the American imagination, that pair always had to be white, even if all the other details were fictionalized. To make them black would be to imbue the story with some other element, some fear that white America has chosen to tell in very different sorts of movies

What I didn't understand before reading it and just going off the headline. Having read it, I better understand what they were trying to say... The headline just did them no favors.

I still think the "article" should have just said "here's a modern-day Bonnie and Clyde without the hyperviolence of the original couple"