• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the event that PS5 Pro does release in 2024 but there is no new Xbox Series console because there is already Series S & X

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
The best selling Series S on Amazon for the last month or so has been the renewed Series S from Amazon Renewed Also in last week Digital Foundry Direct Richard was talking about how the Series S is all over the Facebook market place for 100 Pounds

Go to the 12:20 mark in this video

lvoFxzt.jpg

iNOJ9rr.jpg

Someone saying SS is all over Facebook for £100 isn't exactly concrete to me. I'm not on Facebook so can't check.
Amazon renewed for last week isn't also imo.
And to be honest I wouldn't blame people buying a uses SS as you haven't got to worry about a dodgy drive.

Edit misread that as last week but my point still stands

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Xbox One X came out one year after for 100$ more.

So? It’s not Microsoft’s fault Sony rushed an underwhelming “Pro” console to market.

Sony has barely put out any PS5 games and they’re already looking at a Pro model? What was the point of the PS5? To play PS4 games really well?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

You're not wrong, but for the life of me I just don't see an Xbox handheld working in a world where the Steamdeck exists. Especially when you can play MS first party games on the Deck. Frankly the Steamdeck is the Xbox handheld.

A portable XSS would have many advantages over a Steamdeck. Biggest being that all the new games will have a custom port for it, not a "maybe" it runs scenario. Even if new Steamdeck hardware released that matched the power of XSS, you'd still have a lot more issues with optimization simply because the devs aren't going to QA the settings for it in the same way they will the XSS ports.

Robbinhood

Banned
PS5 Pro will get announced and get a lot of flak and anger and then Xbox SXX will get announced a little later and all the criticism and complaining will cease instantly and people will be pumped for both (just like last time).

There is no way Microsoft will let Sony have that big a power advantage. They will release the Xbox Series XXX not much later. They need to allow you to unlock the framerate on any mode to not need a patch.

PS5 Slim & PS5 Pro vs Series S & Series X would make things kind of awkward don't you think?

As of now Series X haven't really taken off so it wouldn't have much of a head start over PS5 Pro as far as userbase go .
Right now DF have PS5 vs Series X in faceoffs when there is only around 1/3 people who actually have Xbox Series X vs PS5 at the most.
Lmao… not sure where to start.

The Series X and PS5 are direct competitors in terms of specs and audience. So a PS5 Pro would go up against a Series X Pro or whatever name they give it.

…Does that another your question?

GreatnessRD

Neither take advantage of their current hardware, so a Pro version of either an Xbox or PS5 is stupid. But people still gonna spend that money though, so Microsoft and Sony wins regardless.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I don’t think we will see a PS5Pro in 24, well maybe for Holidays at most.

Last edited:
1. Better RT
2. 60 fps for all true current gen games
3. 90 fps for all PSVR2 games.
Better RT isn't going to be cheap at all and there's also no guarantee that every game will be 60 FPS Or can you name me a 3D console where every game run at 60 FPS.
I get it for VR mind, but lets face it not many PS5 owners want VR now anyway

tryDEATH

This generation got truly screwed over by Covid and the release of UE5 after both systems launched. I would much rather cut this generation short and in 2 years move on to next generation, we're already 3 years in, which is usually about half way through a generation anyway.

I am all ready for next generation.

midnightAI

This generation got truly screwed over by Covid and the release of UE5 after both systems launched. I would much rather cut this generation short and in 2 years move on to next generation, we're already 3 years in, which is usually about half way through a generation anyway.

I am all ready for next generation.
They are much more likely to increase the length of this generation than cut it short, this generation has barely started.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The situation we're probably be less complicated than what you have on the Xbox side. There is too much of a disparity in the specifications between the lower and high-end model. If there is a pro then I suspect they will be only enhanced like the rumors say and it would be a mere matter of enabling or disabling settings. The difference for me is that developers actually have to do a little bit more work other than just settings when it comes to the Xbox because there is hardware differences that mirror settings won't simply accommodate.

I'm proud of you for making this thread it took a lot of courage. You are brave and a God damn genius private Gump.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yes and it's a pretty sneaky price hike but they know that they have a sales boost coming in September so they want to make the extra money even if it puts the price of the underpowered machine near a much more bang for your buck PS5 DE.

if the rumours of the ps5 de going away I can see an all new slim version without drive coming in at 349. That would be a major play for Sony. I can't see how it could cost more than that.

midnightAI

discless ps5 set to replace the current skus
Is it, did I miss a news article or something? very interesting, do you have a link?

(seems weird seeing as the last I heard the disc version is far outselling the discless version, even Sony know this because they manufacture more disc based versions)

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
PS5 Pro will get announced and get a lot of flak and anger and then Xbox SXX will get announced a little later and all the criticism and complaining will cease instantly and people will be pumped for both (just like last time).

As always, people will say when Xbox is going to announce it "It's normal and just business", "Sony was desperate to release a more powerful console, Xbox waited for better tech bla bla bla".

Jup history will repeat itself, but this time, their won't be any tech advantages for the manufacturer that who comes a year later. PS4 Pro and XBX were both stuck with the same CPU.

Honestly though, like Microsoft needs a third SKU to put even more pressure on developers who already got deal with multiple consoles. I’m fine with no Pro hardware mostly because I feel the developers haven’t even fully harnessed the current gen consoles and I think Pro consoles will only bring slightly better frame rates and resolutions which isn’t terribly excited me to justify the inevitably higher costs.

Last edited:

PeteBull

By late 2024 or in 2025 crossgen will die, maybe with exception of nba/fifa/madden alike games but their last gen versions are like poor unwanted children, techwise, totally different games but under same brand.

And yup very likely by then we will get ps5 and ps5pr0 at least from sony side, microsoft is wild card, phil saying now that series X is supposed to be midgen refresh but like usually with him, its 100% a lie ;)

Think of this like that- as stated by DF, from that recent xbox showcase footage, starfield running(targetting;p) 30fps and reswise its 1296p native, upscaled to 4k with fsr, and thats not on series s, but series x, to give more info, 1296p is 60% of 4k on both axis, so pixel wise, vs native 4k, its only 36% of pixels, again, on series x.

Think about it- if already in sept 2023 first party game runs in 30fps(with dips, its betheda game, after all, gotta be honest with eachother here;p) in 1296p, then is midgen console needed or not? :)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Is it, did I miss a news article or something? very interesting, do you have a link?
There were tons of articles on this - obviously no official PR yet (which is a crucial piece of info - we don't know the MSRP for it yet) but that applied to screen-inside-a-controller they just announced too - we knew about it for months.
Ie. Indications are Sony will be replacing the 2 SKUs with a single discless machine that you can buy a Disc upgrade for. While pricing is a question mark, my personal expectation is that it'll likely land on existing prices (399 for the console, 99-129 for the drive add-on), which is why I said 'likely 50$ delta' in the previous post.

(seems weird seeing as the last I heard the disc version is far outselling the discless version, even Sony know this because they manufacture more disc based versions)
It's not really weird at all - they flooded the market with 499+ SKUs now, and by the time demand starts to even out - they'll introduce a mass-available 399 option. The option to pay more for that drive will remain available, but this gives them the flexibility to satisfy growth/shrinking of either customer segment without being tied to availability of individual SKUs anymore.
Depending on perspective it could also make both Series pricing look really bad - but that's not likely a driver given the way they're already selling.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
PS5 Slim & PS5 Pro vs Series S & Series X would make things kind of awkward don't you think?

As of now Series X haven't really taken off so it wouldn't have much of a head start over PS5 Pro as far as userbase go .
Right now DF have PS5 vs Series X in faceoffs when there is only around 1/3 people who actually have Xbox Series X vs PS5 at the most.

Sony has to go balls to the wall and release a 800 dollar pro that will eat 4k60fps games for breakfasts and test the waters for the next generation skus

Quasicat

Do Pro models really sell that much? Looking at last gen, the slim models sold more than the Pro models and even then, the number didn’t come close to the original models.
If Microsoft sees a market for it and can make a profit from it, then they will release a Pro model.

midnightAI

There were tons of articles on this - obviously no official PR yet (which is a crucial piece of info - we don't know the MSRP for it yet) but that applied to screen-inside-a-controller they just announced too - we knew about it for months.
Ie. Indications are Sony will be replacing the 2 SKUs with a single discless machine that you can buy a Disc upgrade for. While pricing is a question mark, my personal expectation is that it'll likely land on existing prices (399 for the console, 99-129 for the drive add-on), which is why I said 'likely 50$ delta' in the previous post.

It's not really weird at all - they flooded the market with 499+ SKUs now, and by the time demand starts to even out - they'll introduce a mass-available 399 option. The option to pay more for that drive will remain available, but this gives them the flexibility to satisfy growth/shrinking of either customer segment without being tied to availability of individual SKUs anymore.
Depending on perspective it could also make both Series pricing look really bad - but that's not likely a driver given the way they're already selling.
Ah, sorry, I thought you meant a completely discless version with no ability to play disc based games.

Even then, we'll see, I wouldnt be surprised if Sony continue to make the Disc version, or at least offer two SKU's (one with the drive, one without as different bundles). One thing you dont want to do is confuse the buyer so simplicity is key.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

So about this $349 Series S ?

Is this not directly placing the Series S Black against the PS5 Digital Edition?

It should only be $299, no question. Nand/dram prices have collapsed since these consoles launched. I seriously doubt the 1TB drive is costing them more than the 512GB drive in 2020.

With that said they might go $299 with it at the holidays and they likely figure that a lot of these units will be picked up by PS users to play Starfield. This audience wouldn't be contrasting the XSS against the PS5, thus they figure they can get an extra $50 for it.

Last edited:

kriolo

If Sony releases a PS5 Pro or not, MS will lower the series S to USD 199 and the Series X to 350-399, and they will be just fine.Sony will still be dominant with or without a new console,gamepass wil still exist.Nothing changes.

Puscifer

I don't understand the point of a pro console when you've barely tapped the current one. By the time the pro released Sony was on a roll with exclusives andthere was plenty good going on with third parties to the point the last gen was a relic, meanwhile, I would honestly say a PS5 is barely better experience than the PS4 pro unless you're desperate to play Hogwarts or Jedi Survivor

diffusionx

Gold Member
A portable XSS would have many advantages over a Steamdeck. Biggest being that all the new games will have a custom port for it, not a "maybe" it runs scenario. Even if new Steamdeck hardware released that matched the power of XSS, you'd still have a lot more issues with optimization simply because the devs aren't going to QA the settings for it in the same way they will the XSS ports.
According to Xbox's website, in gameplay the Series S uses 74 W of power. They'll have to get that number way, way down, to like 15W, if they want to make a handheld Xbox Series S.

scydrex

MS will not let Sony to release a PS5 Pro and do nothing about it. They would release a more powerful Xbox Series if that happens. So they will have 3 series S, X and 3rd one. Maybe they will discontinue the X or who knows.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Even then, we'll see, I wouldnt be surprised if Sony continue to make the Disc version, or at least offer two SKU's (one with the drive, one without as different bundles).
I mean, bundles will always exist, and some are quite extensively available(GoW or FH5 most recently).
I'm not sure that they need two permanent SKUs though, easy way could be to offer bundle discount for every ps5 bought together with drive. So if you buy both now, 499. Bought separately at a later date: 399 + 129.
No need for separate packaging, just one console and drive products and optional at the till discount.

One thing you dont want to do is confuse the buyer so simplicity is key.
Buyers have been trained for past 3 (6, in case of Microsoft) years that optical drive = more $$$. This just makes that even more explicit, but also more customer friendly (if you change your mind later).
I don't think there's any fear of confusion with it, as long as they phase out the old SKUs.

bitbydeath

MS will not let Sony to release a PS5 Pro and do nothing about it. They would release a more powerful Xbox Series if that happens. So they will have 3 series S, X and 3rd one. Maybe they will discontinue the X or who knows.
They could make the current S a streaming only box, drop the X down to an S and introduce a new, more powerful X.

Top Bottom