• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In The Future, Hideo Kojima Says His Studio Will Make Films.

Mista

Banned
From the cutscenes in all his games, I believe Kojima can pull at least a one good film. He grew up watching a movie every night with his parents till he grew a bit older and they made him go to the theater and then return home and tell him parents what have he learned from the movie he saw. He loves movies as much as video games that’s for sure.

Pimpbaa

Bah, forget movies I want a spiritual successor to MGS. Name the main character Rigid Serpent who is a clone of Large Leader. I'll give you those for free Kojima, but the rest of my original ideas will cost you.

Tiamat2san

Please don’t.
Or at least restrain yourself to cgi movie.
You make some really cool cutscenes (and some terrible ones too)
But in a movie with real actor, my brain will not survive.
And while you’re at it, don’t surround yourself with yes men.
Kisses
Bye

ExpandKong

Banned
Please don’t.
Or at least restrain yourself to cgi movie.
You make some really cool cutscenes (and some terrible ones too)
But in a movie with real actor, my brain will not survive.
And while you’re at it, don’t surround yourself with yes men.
Kisses
Bye

He can’t help it. He was knocked off his pedestal at Konami and people just built up a new one under him.

Mass Shift

Some film directors who struggle at telling stories would probably be brilliant at making video games, while some game directors would make better filmmakers for some of the exact same reasons.

JohannCK

Kojima said on Twitter that he's watching horror movies so that he can make the scariest game ever, using the same wording as he did back when he was working on PT.

Javthusiast

Banned
Kojima is a great visual director, he just needs an editor to compress a story idea into a two hour movie and produce better dialogues or simply get another writer to write the whole script while he only does the directing.

Ultimately though... for the love of jeebus Koji please don't waste your time with movies. The reason he is so beloved is because of his cinematic style paired up with the great gameplay ideas he has. They go hand in hand. Having him just do a movie would be a total waste.

I love movies and tv shows, but artists can do so much more creative things in the gaming medium compared to standard movies, because it is interactive.

flacopol

He writes his scripts in Japanese and unfortunately, when translated, the dialogue comes off as cheesy.

I red a few times this from Kojima bubble , maybe I´m a little naive but , even he could learn english , or do you tell me that there is no a special team to translate his scripts ?

Also when you see that MGS is "inspired" in so many films , and the dialogues after the translation are cheesy... this man is a genius (?)

I defend the mechanics in his games , some are new , some are different, I would prefer PT , and silent hill , instead of DS.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I red a few times this from Kojima bubble , maybe I´m a little naive but , even he could learn english , or do you tell me that there is no a special team to translate his scripts ?

Also when you see that MGS is "inspired" in so many films , and the dialogues after the translation are cheesy... this man is a genius (?)

I defend the mechanics in his games , some are new , some are different, I would prefer PT , and silent hill , instead of DS.
No reason to learn english (and he knows English). And no reason to have a special team localizing his games when it’s cheaper to outsource it.
Using ,”it was translated” as an excuse to justify the cheese is a bit reaching. 5 different translators across his games, and they all have cheese. You either dig it, or you don’t. The amount of unnecessary exposition and lack of subtlety are just as big offenders.

After the next Bond film they should give the license to Kojima. I heard he's a huge Bond freak and I bet he could take it to the next level

Saruhashi

Banned
I really don't understand where the idea of Kojima as a movie director comes from at all.

Basically in all of the games he has made the gameplay has always been the main attraction.
With lots of different, interesting, ways to approach the game and lot's of interesting "takes" on the interactivity of the medium.

For me anyway, Kojima's "genius" has always been in how he is able to make gameplay feel engaging and different and quirky.
To the extent that Kojima games have their own trademark style.

I just don't see how "his games have loads of cutscenes" translates over to "he should make movies".
Often the weakest narrative elements of his games are these cutscenes.
World building is good. Engaging the world via the game mechanics is good. The cinematic CGI stuff? Hmmm... that's his weakest point for me.

An MGS movie, for example, might have a really great scene of Snake infiltrating some enemy compound to steal some important MacGuffin but I don't believe this would be anywhere near as good as playing an MGS game where you have to do the same.

He managed to successfully graft elements of Hollywood movies onto videogames but I don't think this means he would be any good at making movies.

Top Bottom