• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the Market for a new Soundbar

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
So my refurbished Sony HTNT5 that I got a few years ago seems to have crapped the bed and I've been looking to upgrade for awhile. Right now my state doesn't have Best Buys open for me to listen for myself (hopefully they will come the 15th) but I figured we'd have some helpful people on here.

First off I am absolutely willing to pay over $1500 for a great audio setup but not eager to. I've been looking at Sonos and Bose and some Sony soundbar and sub combos but some seem entirely too expensive for how they're reviewing. If I can get a great clear bar for less I certainly won't mind.

I don't want the hassle of wiring up multiple speakers though I'd be willing to add a couple wireless ones in the back of the room if that's cost effective vs getting a super bar. Mainly prefer a simple bass and bar setup though. Also I really need it to work with an Amazon remote as I use YouTube TV and other apps on an Amazon Fire Cube as my main device on it.

I have a 65" LG OLED mounted and while I was happy with my previous Sony bar the one thing I didn't like was dialogue still sounded unclear on many movies. I would love something that can rock with bass but above all else I want clarity. I remember listening to a Sonos around Christmas time and being impressed with the clarity of the spoken audio in the scene. There were a couple models I looked at that jumped out but I'm completely open to suggestions based on your guys' experiences.

Sonos (most expensive and probably not worth it but if you guys really vouch I could be swayed)

Sony (couple Options from as expensive as Sonos to quite a bit less but will they have the clarity I want? Also my old one never could connect to the LG magic remote like I wanted)

Bose (known high quality but will the less expensive one keep that quality?)

So if you guys have any bad experiences that would eliminate some of these options or simply love yours and have a strong recommendation I'd really appreciate it. I've had bad experiences with Vizio and Samsung quality in the past is why I hesitate to look at those

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I will always recommend a pair of floor-standing/bookshelf speakers and a sub over a soundbar. I've yet to hear a soundbar setup which comes close.

Polk Audio and Yamaha will always feature my favorite sound signatures by far.

If you absolutely insist on a sound bar though, I'd go Sony. If their headphones are anything to go by, they should murder Sonos and Bose.

Durask

I've tested various soundbars and all of them IMHO were not up to par. For example I listened to Bose soundbars in their store when they still had stores and it was an environment engineered to make Bose sound as good as possible and I thought they still sounded like crap.

I hate to say it but you may want to consider in-wall speakers, certainly it is more money and effort but they absolutely destroy any kind of soundbar and they are even more inobtrusive than any soundbar.

bitbydeath

I tried talking to my wife about getting one but she doesn’t think it’s worth the money when the TV speakers are loud enough. 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom