• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Theory, This Is How Xbox One and PS4 Graphics Compare

zakislam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6VLvKHAeXQ

There’s no doubt that on paper, the way Sony’s designed the PS4 and the AMD components it’s selected offer 50 per cent more power in the GPU department over the Xbox One. But does it really make any difference when you get down to playing a game?

That’s the question Eurogamer and Digital Foundry set out to try and answer by using PC components as close to the AMD parts that the two new consoles will come packing. Of course, off-the-shelf stuff didn’t quite cut it, so a little bit of clock-speed modification was required, and even then the parts didn’t exactly match those of the consoles.

However, looking solely at the GPU performance differential between the two consoles, Eurogamer managed to hack together a decent theoretical comparison, and the results might surprise you.

It’s well worth reading the whole in-depth article for a complete breakdown of what’s what between the PS4 and the Xbox One, but I’ll give you the crib notes here.

It turns out that despite having 50 per cent more power in the GPU department, the in-game graphical performance of the surrogate PS4 only managed around 25 per cent faster frame rates, like-for-like in the gaming benchmarks. The interesting thing here is that the homebrew Xbox One test rig kept up with the PS4-like kit if the resolution was turned down from 1080p a smidgen, which makes me think that on the whole the two are going to be very evenly matched.

In fact, it’s likely that on launch, cross-platform titles are going to be practically identical between the two systems. Only once programmers have properly gotten to grips with the extra horsepower available will the games start to look any different on the PS4, which is something the PS3 was saddled with before it. The Cell chip at the heart of the PS3 was technically more powerful than the Xbox 360, but it took almost the complete lifecycle of the console for developers to really get the most out of it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-can-xbox-one-multi-platform-games-compete-with-ps4 via http://gizmodo.com/in-theory-this-is-how-the-xbox-one-compares-to-the-ps4-974197622

teiresias

Why not link to the original DF article and indicate it's a Leadbetter article just to save people time in wondering whether to give a crap about it?

Samyy

DF and Eurogamer again?
This can only go well
bad
But I think everyone knows multiplatform games wont be that different but first party titles should once again steal the show.

Maleman

Neo Member
As an engineer, I fucking hate people's tendency to linearize things, as if they need everything boiled down to a single number. A perfect example of this is citing a percentange performance difference based on a TFLOP number. It's completely ignorant of how software works.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
This shows us nothing useful.

DF of all sites should know this.

Ridiculous comparison.

At the end of the day, I will be absolutely shocked if multi-platforms end up being anything other than practically equivalent.

I thought Digital Foundry used to be respected around here? I always remember seeing their 360/PS3 game comparison threads a lot, at least.

Have they gotten worse all of a sudden due to next-gen rumors and speculation?

DedValve

Banned
Ps4 is stronger than the one but the difference between multiplats is negligible at best until exclusives can make the most out of ps4 hardware to show the difference.

I am stunned.

Bundy

Banned
Digital Foundry again with their BS stuff. Hilarious how they've managed to ruin their name in under 2 months.

PSGames

This shit again? So much DC coming from LB. This thread will be short lived I think.

People have been stating there won't be much difference from 3rd party games for the longest. Not really much new here and LB is certainly not the only one to take this position.

Leadbetter,

timetostopposting.jpg

Nozem

The difference between the PS4 and the Xbox One will be insanely huge* and not noticable** at the same time.

* according to GAF
** according to Joe Sixpack

Every multi-platform game will look exactly the same or have such negligible differences that your average consumer wont be able to tell them apart. I suppose it's going to come down to price and features. Can't wait to see those first party games though.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I thought Digital Foundry used to be respected around here? I always remember seeing their 360/PS3 game comparison threads a lot, at least.

Yeah. They used to be one of my favorite sites. I always loved the tech analysis they did on big games.

In the past few months though they have been acting like children. Not sure why.

They are useful for game comparisons, but lately they fucked up a couple of times and seem to be fishing for hits more than usual.

Dragon

Banned
Every multi-platform game will look exactly the same or have such negligible differences that your average consumer wont be able to tell them apart.

If we're talking about the average consumer, I doubt they could tell the 360 version of GTAIV from the PS3 version, so this type of comment is almost entirely worthless considering how large the difference there actually was.

As hardcore gamers we will be able to tell the difference and muddying the waters around that seems to be what MS and its supporters are trying to do.

Theoretically speaking, at the quantum mechanic level the difference will be akin to a quark vs the higgs boson... in theory
but in practice you can't see either of them with the naked eye, so it's a wash.

vdo

I'm sure to get a true comparison, they set one up with 8GB GDDR5 unified memory and the other with 8GB DDR3 and ESRAM, right?

jet1911

Leadbetter is not championing the PS4 as the best next gen console so gaf hates him even more than before.

I don't understand the PS3 tidbit. The 360 was arguably more powerful. The PS4 doesn't have similar shortcomings compared to the Xbox One. It's not as if there will be alpha heavy scenes that the Xbox One can plow through whereas the PS4 struggles. Or certain devs doing all they can to cull and minimize what's drawn to make up for deficiencies with the GPU in an open world title. The only thing that would be similar is maybe the Xbox One has better looking exclusives because of the artists or preference for the artstyle. Or maybe they'll design a bunch of linear games that are tightly controlled. In any case, it won't take a cycle to see the PS4 is better because it's beyond a reasonable doubt unlike PS3.

How is the PS4 card better than the X1 card?

Real time, game performance wise.

I was on wiki, but I didnt really understand the numbers presented.

Tripolygon

Banned
How exactly is this BS?
They wanted to gauge performance difference by using relatively close PC counterparts to PS4 and Xbox 1.

I'll qoute someone from another thread.
Already noticed a couple of things. Designed for a 10 year life cycle with 1.2Tflops? HDD's and other internal components are guaranteed to last 10 years now? I don't think so. Also, he keeps comparing the XO's GPU with a 7790, this is wholly disingenuous.

Xbox One GPU. 1.23Tflops.

768 Shaders
48 Texture Units
16 Render Units
12 CU's

7790. 1.79Tflops.

896 Shaders
56 Texture Units
16 Render Units
14 CU's

A much closer comparison is to the 7770, which is 1.28Tflops, still more than the Xbox One's. Used by Anandtech and other sites as the closeer comparative to the Xbox One's GPU with good reason. But this is Richard Leadbetter after all.

Top Bottom