• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In what ways was God of War better than Spider-man exactly, if at all?

brenobnfm

godofwarspiderman.jpg

God of War was considered by most the best game of 2018, but let's forget about RDR2 and compare it to another Sony game, Spider-man:

- Story and characters = Spider-man story was significantly better and more emotional, God of War was just MacGuffins - The Game to deliver the mother ashes for no special reason.

- Characters = SM had much better written and multidimensional characters, while God of War characters were mostly shallow and one note, Kratos just say "Boy" and cliché tough dad shit all the game. And better not talk about the "character development" thing they tried with Atreus.

- Tranversal = Spider-man has one of the better transversals if not the best of any game, it's so good you might not even want to use fast travel most of the time. God of War was some boring ass backtracking through corridors and you better use fast travel, even with shit loading times (on PS4).

- Combat = Both had very good combat mechanics, i still give the nod to SM, it's just more fun and dynamic, but when you consider things like enemy variety and bosses, it's not even close, Spider-man is magnitudes superior.

- Soundtrack = Tie, both well produced albeit a bit generic, but they're equally competent.

- Graphics = Tie, both among the best of the generation, i prefer SM's setting but it's just a matter of taste.

So, as someone who played both back to back, it's pretty clear Spider-man is a much better game, am i crazy or do i just have shit taste?

Corgi1985

Banned
godofwarspiderman.jpg

God of War was considered by most the best game of 2018, but let's forget about RDR2 and compare it to another Sony game, Spider-man:

- Story and characters = Spider-man story was significantly better and more emotional, God of War was just MacGuffins - The Game to deliver the mother ashes for no special reason.

- Characters = SM had much better written and multidimensional characters, while God of War characters were mostly shallow and one note, Kratos just say "Boy" and cliché tough dad shit all the game. And better not talk about the "character development" thing they tried with Atreus.

- Tranversal = Spider-man has one of the better transversals if not the best of any game, it's so good you might not even want to use fast travel most of the time. God of War was some boring ass backtracking through corridors and you better use fast travel, even with shit loading times (on PS4).

- Combat = Both had very good combat mechanics, i still give the nod to SM, it's just more fun and dynamic, but when you consider things like enemy variety and bosses, it's not even close, Spider-man is magnitudes superior.

- Soundtrack = Tie, both well produced albeit a bit generic, but they're equally competent.

- Graphics = Tie, both among the best of the generation, i prefer SM's setting but it's just a matter of taste.

So, as someone who played both back to back, it's pretty clear Spider-man is a much better game, am i crazy or do i just have shit taste?
The city in spiderman is boring and the combat sucks. Suit powers trivialize most of the combat. The side activities are awful. Web swinging feels pointless when you can just hold R and forward on the stick. Also, the story is bad.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I Platinumed Spider-Man. Couldn't bother to do that with GoW once the story was over. Spider-Man was still fun to play after you finished the story, so it's the better of the two.

(Miles was better than Spider-Man though because of the venom powers and how they made combat even better)

brenobnfm

The city in spiderman is boring and the combat sucks. Suit powers trivialize most of the combat. The side activities are awful. Web swinging feels pointless when you can just hold R and forward on the stick. Also, the story is bad.

Still, God of War was significantly worse in all these aspects you're complaining.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I enjoyed Spider-Man more overall, but I've always been a fan of Spider-Man. God of War was still good, but I didn't like the armor system and found the enemies re-used too often, especially boss fights. Spider-Man boss fights weren't exactly amazing, but they were more varied.

Plus in Spider-Man it was fun to just swing around the city. I had fun collecting the backpack items and taking the photos.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For one I fucking hate everything Marvel related with passion, I don’t care about its world or characters, I’m much more invested in God of War’s world.

Second I VASTLY prefer the combat in God of War compare to Spider Man.

I mean they're similiar in the sense of third person non shooter action game where you do quests here than go there and do more quests etc etc. So you're not gonna get some crazy discussion here, its just personal preference, they're both great.

bender

What time is it?
(Miles was better than Spider-Man though because of the venom powers and how they made combat even better)

Miles felt more focused or less padded out (however you want to say it) which is a good thing.

I liked both God of War and that's saying something as I never really enjoyed the series until then. Spider Man was good too, but it suffer from what we see in a lot of Sony titles, presentation above all else with good but mostly forgettable game play systems. I'm not sure I'd go back to either for a second helping.

elliot5

they're both very good games. Both had super good stories, but I think God of War nailed its presentation and consistency of gameplay better than Spider-Man. The stealth missions and puzzles and the UI elements(yes, nitpick) of Spider-Man felt a little disconnected from the rest of the game. GoW also had stellar music so that helps keep memories of the game fond versus your typical super hero score.

Last edited:
godofwarspiderman.jpg

GIF by Outsiders

I hate super heroes so I haven't played Spider-Man. I probably had more fun with Sunset Overdrive than God of War though. But both are very good.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I really like them both. If you were forcing me to choose one I’d go with god of war. The world and lore dragged me in, I did all the side content including all valkyries. It was a decent challenge and felt like a proper adventure.

spider man was decent but the side content was poor. The overall game was great and miles morales made it even better. More light hearted and easy to play which makes it Seem a little less memorable to me. I just kinda cruised through it and enjoyed it as a pallet cleanser, or more of a fun weekend away.
basically, both are great.

Yoboman

I mean its silly to compare because they are aiming for different things.

God of War had better combat firstly. Its not even close. Although very different so hard to compare. God of War is of genuine action game stock while Spiderman is more in the vein of Arkham games. GOW also felt like it was doing something fresh with its gameplay style, Spiderman is a very polished Arkham style game

GOW has rightly had some complaints about enemy variety. But I'd still take that over the 99% lame grunts that Spiderman offers

Story is much better in God of War. And I say that as someone who didn't care much for past GOW stories. They did an awesome job tying in norse mythology with their own twists and changes. Its especially interesting if you know those mythologies and can understand what they are changing. It just has much better writing and voice acting as well. I can't even remember what the story of Spiderman was besides Spidey doing super hero stuff

I found GOW just a more interesting place to explore. Felt like you were constantly rewarded for exploration with meaningful items and additional lore in a world packed with environmental puzzles. In Spiderman the traversal was fun but you do shit like chase pigeons.

arvfab

Banned
Loved Spider-Man (and Miles Morales), loved God Of War: Dad of Boy, if they don't fuck it up, I will probably love their sequels.

That luxury when you don't have to choose.

Rivet

God of War is superior in nearly every way. Story is a lot better, graphics / art direction is better, so is sound / music... Gameplay (fighting) is a lot better in GoW too. Acting and characters are better in GoW too.

GoW FEELS epic too.

I liked Spiderman, but God of War is a masterpiece in every way. There's a reason it destroyed RDR2 in nearly every game of the year award that year...

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Spiderman was filled with clutter, the combat wasn't that great I think I pretty much just ended fast tracking the story, which also wasn't great but I like Marvel IPs so I got some enjoyment out of it. Miles morales was a more streamlined experience and that made it gain points in my book.

I actually loved god of war and enjoyed it from start to finish, so in my subjective opinion, its a deserved GOTY.

Neither game is worth a replay tho as is usually the case with sony stuff.

Last edited:

Three

I got both but haven't really got past the first 15mins of spiderman. Not sure why but it just didn't grab me. I'll give it a fair shake again after FF7.

MadPanda

Banned
Spiderman was a reskined ubisoft game. It was nice, light hearted and fun, but it wasn't special at all. It's a pretty forgettable game. I've platinumed it but I regret it as it was a chore.
But goty of 2018 is RDR2. That game is something special and it stands out in that generation.

Rivet

Spiderman was a reskined ubisoft game. It was nice, light hearted and fun, but it wasn't special at all. It's a pretty forgettable game. I've platinumed it but I regret it as it was a chore.
But goty of 2018 is RDR2. That game is something special and it stands out in that generation.

Not according to awards and critics, and certainly not to me. RDR2 was a complete borefest compared to GoW, with gameplay design from 20 years ago. One step out of the way = mission failed. And don't start me on the hours of riding your horse to the mission starting points.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Things GoW does better:

- Combat
- Puzzles
- Exploration
- Writing
- Setpieces
- Character Development
- Graphics
- Side missions
- Boss Fights (Sigrun, Stranger and Magni and Modi were all better than every single Spiderman boss fight combined)
- Replayablity (Better NG+ implementation. Better RPG leveling systems. Better gear. More depth)

Things Spiderman does better:

- Traversal
- Cutscenes (none of that gimmicky one cut camera nonsense)
- Pacing

Both are great games, but GoW is in a league of its own.

FritzJ92

I enjoyed Spider-Man until the Mary Jane scenes. Man that shit made me almost stop playing the game. So slow and annoying and pointless.

Dynasty8

God of War is one of the best games ever made.

Spiderman was boring IMHO.... Played enough Arkham and open world games with the same markers on the map, same objectives, etc. GoW is better in every way.

DonF

I found spider man to be VERY boring, I didn't like the combat, the exploration, the characters, the game loop, the skill tree, etc etc etc. I loved god of war, once I picked it up, I couldnt drop it. I loved every second of it.

So there you have it. Taste is subjective. Shocker.

Arachnid

Things GoW does better:

- Combat
- Puzzles
- Exploration
- Writing
- Setpieces
- Character Development
- Graphics
- Side missions
- Boss Fights (Sigrun, Stranger and Magni and Modi were all better than every single Spiderman boss fight combined)
- Replayablity (Better NG+ implementation. Better RPG leveling systems. Better gear. More depth)

Things Spiderman does better:

- Traversal
- Cutscenes (none of that gimmicky one cut camera nonsense)
- Pacing

Both are great games, but GoW is in a league of its own.
This

I'm one of the biggest Spidey fans you'll ever meet. I've been legit obsessed my entire life. One guess as to who my account name refers to. It's the same account name I've used everywhere since I was 14 (I'm 28 now), and the one before that was also Spidey related though more juvenile.

The Spiderman PS4 game is nowhere near as good as GoW is.

Last edited:

Banned

the combat in GoW is also absolutely shallow... so that point is just a tie here...

Things GoW does better:

- Combat

lol what? no, the boss fights in GoW are mediocre at best... I mean the bosses in Spiderman aren't much better... so I would say tie again

the rest I agree with tho

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Combat definitely better in God of War.

Story was much more stirring.

Additional missions outside of the main story were more interesting.

AmuroChan

For me, Spider-Man is like a MCU movie. It's fun, comfortable, and familiar. God of War is Dark Knight. It's one of those experiences that I'll always remember.

SSfox

Spiderman was fantastic, but it's not even close to Gow, aka the 2018 goty, rdr2 just a bit behind it. RDR2 is incredible too, and not many people talk about it but in 2018 there was DQ11 that was incredible as well, and to me it was a better game than Spidey.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I finished spiderman and tapped out on GoW pretty quickly. Never clicked for me but I may try it again on ps5 in 60 fps.

rdr2 is better than both by a huge margin to me tho.

Last edited:

Tschumi

godofwarspiderman.jpg

- Story and characters = Spider-man story was significantly better and more emotional,
I mean the INSTANT you started trying to present ur opinion as reality was the moment I checked out.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
It's not. God of War is great. One of the best games of last gen. Spider-Man is one of the best games ever. You don't really need to compare them, just enjoy each one for what it is.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Both are my favorite games of last gen on Playstation, but i like the serious tone of GOW a little bit more and Kratos character was more likeable. The relation between him and Atreus near the end are really well done. And that final scene when you go back to your house after you finish the game is just the perfect build up for the second one.

yamaci17

jormungandr alone is 999 times more cool and captivating than spiderman

there has been countless spiderman games with similar emotional stories... its not bad, but its not something exceptional either. its just a properly done "8th" gen spiderman game which the generation lacked

mythical elements make god of war an unique game. this holds true for all the games in the series.

i also liked first 3 game better than the last one , but it is still an exceptional game that is better/more original/more creative than the spiderman

Top Bottom