• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In what ways was God of War better than Spider-man exactly, if at all?

Aenima

I had fun with both, but GOW is "miles" ahead. The exploration of the world, the story, the combat, the side content. All its done better in GOW. The traversal goes to Spider-Man.

God of War was ok by my standards and Spiderman was the best Spiderman game so far... And far more fun than all the GOWs I've played. Which is all of them. My opinion.

MrJTeera

The real question here, is where is my God of Spider-men War game?

It’s a Battle Royale multiplayer where different spider-man from different dimensions fight each other to be the last one standing. Kinda like that Jet Li movie.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
We playstation gamers should not argue with each other, we should stick as family.
Fast And Furious Family GIF by The Fast Saga

I enjoyed Spider-Man more overall, but I've always been a fan of Spider-Man. God of War was still good, but I didn't like the armor system and found the enemies re-used too often, especially boss fights. Spider-Man boss fights weren't exactly amazing, but they were more varied.

Plus in Spider-Man it was fun to just swing around the city. I had fun collecting the backpack items and taking the photos.
Yes, boss fights are usually a strong suit of the GoW franchise, now they're gone for some reason? GoW 3 is still the best in this series.

I want to try the spiderman games so I can firm a better option on this, but just the fact that it's all in the same city makes me feel like it could be too samey all the way through.

Sleepwalker

Btw the near instant fast travel in MM saved the game for me and made it much better than SM 2018 (along with the less amount of fat)

When SM launched in 2018 and everyone was fawning over swinging mechanics I thought it was gonna be awesome. In reality I checked out like after 2 hours and fast travelled everywhere. Miles Morales felt next gen for me truly for that rather than RT et all.

Last edited:

TheAssist

This video should show you that the story is wayyyy more than what you are making out of it. Its much deeper and more thought out than anything in spiderman.

Its basically a well thought out modern myth and shows some deep understanding of its source material

Spiderman story doesn't EVEN COME CLOSE to GOW's. Spiderman gameplay gets hella repititive after a while but with GoW's treasure chests, armor pieces and runes etc. its stays fun and fresh like Dark Souls. The world and characetrs are also a lot more interesting. GOW by a light year.

MadPanda

Banned
Not according to awards and critics, and certainly not to me. RDR2 was a complete borefest compared to GoW, with gameplay design from 20 years ago. One step out of the way = mission failed. And don't start me on the hours of riding your horse to the mission starting points.

Not according to which critics exactly? RDR2 is the highest rated game of 2018 on metacritic, and it's a metacritic's goty for that year. 97 for RDR2 vs 94 for gow.

Troozi

For me I'm not a big fan of open worlds, and although NYC was impressive, I got a bit dull after a while. I know GoW had some small open world bits, but nothing like spiderman.

Roberts

Two best PS4 exclusives in my book (haven’t played Tsushima), but I prefer GoW mostly because the core of the story is more interesting, combat has more punch. I basically played Spidey as a linear narrative game, because extra activities were REALLY boring.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Both great games but GoW is the best FOR ME. Also they're totally different experiences and comparing them side by side is both subjective and pointless. I mean who's the better, Mario or Zelda ? Halo or Doom ? tsss...

Bragr

Banned
godofwarspiderman.jpg

God of War was considered by most the best game of 2018, but let's forget about RDR2 and compare it to another Sony game, Spider-man:

- Story and characters = Spider-man story was significantly better and more emotional, God of War was just MacGuffins - The Game to deliver the mother ashes for no special reason.

- Characters = SM had much better written and multidimensional characters, while God of War characters were mostly shallow and one note, Kratos just say "Boy" and cliché tough dad shit all the game. And better not talk about the "character development" thing they tried with Atreus.

- Tranversal = Spider-man has one of the better transversals if not the best of any game, it's so good you might not even want to use fast travel most of the time. God of War was some boring ass backtracking through corridors and you better use fast travel, even with shit loading times (on PS4).

- Combat = Both had very good combat mechanics, i still give the nod to SM, it's just more fun and dynamic, but when you consider things like enemy variety and bosses, it's not even close, Spider-man is magnitudes superior.

- Soundtrack = Tie, both well produced albeit a bit generic, but they're equally competent.

- Graphics = Tie, both among the best of the generation, i prefer SM's setting but it's just a matter of taste.

So, as someone who played both back to back, it's pretty clear Spider-man is a much better game, am i crazy or do i just have shit taste?

When you say "story was better in Spider-Man", what exactly do you mean? try to read a recap, the whole story is a mess. What exactly is so good about it?

Bragr

Banned
Both great games but GoW is the best FOR ME. Also they're totally different experiences and comparing them side by side is both subjective and pointless. I mean who's the better, Mario or Zelda ? Halo or Doom ? tsss...
What do you mean, you can compare different experiences, the genre of the game means nothing.

SpokkX

It has original mechanics and has not copied batman arkhams

- combatsystem
- stealth systen
- mission structure
- overall game design

unlike spiderman, gow actually brought something ”new”

Spider-Man was the better game for me. GOW is pretty amazing but Spidey just hit the right groove IMO. To be honest, I’m looking forward to replaying that more than GOW when I finally snag a PS5.

godofwarspiderman.jpg

God of War was considered by most the best game of 2018, but let's forget about RDR2 and compare it to another Sony game, Spider-man:

- Story and characters = Spider-man story was significantly better and more emotional, God of War was just MacGuffins - The Game to deliver the mother ashes for no special reason.

- Characters = SM had much better written and multidimensional characters, while God of War characters were mostly shallow and one note, Kratos just say "Boy" and cliché tough dad shit all the game. And better not talk about the "character development" thing they tried with Atreus.

- Tranversal = Spider-man has one of the better transversals if not the best of any game, it's so good you might not even want to use fast travel most of the time. God of War was some boring ass backtracking through corridors and you better use fast travel, even with shit loading times (on PS4).

- Combat = Both had very good combat mechanics, i still give the nod to SM, it's just more fun and dynamic, but when you consider things like enemy variety and bosses, it's not even close, Spider-man is magnitudes superior.

- Soundtrack = Tie, both well produced albeit a bit generic, but they're equally competent.

- Graphics = Tie, both among the best of the generation, i prefer SM's setting but it's just a matter of taste.

So, as someone who played both back to back, it's pretty clear Spider-man is a much better game, am i crazy or do i just have shit taste?
For me, the #1 thing is fun: Spidey is wayyyy more fun

Both incredible and breathtaking games tho, it's only I had no interest in playing more GoW after ending, while I almost platinumed Spidey ( only one trophy missing)

What bugs me in GOW is the character progression. His relationship with his son is very distant at the beginning en they are really close at the end.
Since the game is one continuous shot from beginning to end and it takes about 25 hours to complete the game all this character progression happens in the span of about one day. It felt rediculous to me.

In the end I did like spiderman way more then GOW.

GymWolf

The only thing better in spiderman are the traversal mechanics and the human models in general, and maybe the villain, i was not particularly in love with baldur.

Story is toss, but i thought that gow had the best cliffhanger between the boy being loki or the preview of thor visiting kratos's house in the finale.

And i liked spidey a lot.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Combat
God of War had much better combat.
How you could put them as equals is beyond me, dont get me wrong I think Spiderman combat was cool and all, but after a while it was basically mindless.
Tossing the leviathan axe?...You wot mate?
Cant wait for Ragnarok to see how they implement haptics with the tossing mechanic.

Graphics
God of War was graphically superior to Spiderman in my books.
Maybe a bit unfair due to God of Wars density and being much closer to the action alot of the time, but you brought the comparison, God of Wars environments and character models looked better.

Story
Im gonna catch flak here but im ready....neither was particularly good.
I only give God of War the nod because well fuck i played the other games and care whats going to happen next....and i think the lore building was/is better in GOW too so it kinda gets you hooked.
If we never get another "Peter Parker" Spiderman game I aint gonna cry about it, as in say Spiderman 2 is Ghost Spider or Kain or Venom or any other spider other than Peter Parker id be fine..........if we never get to see what happens with Kratos well there will be rioting.

Fun Factor
Here yes ill admit i do prefer romps of Spiderman to God of War.

Urban

There is no other game where the dialog is so well written like in God of War. The Dynamics between Kratos and his Son is unique and noone is on that level(writing perspective). The detailed work that Santa Monica did in the World Building and the Lore alone. Its incomparable.

For me there is no other game with that good voice acting and lore/world building. A Masterpiece which deserves to be in the Top10 of all time.

brian0057

Banned
In what ways was Resident Evil (2002) better than Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas?
That's how much sense this question makes.

NT80

Not according to awards and critics, and certainly not to me. RDR2 was a complete borefest compared to GoW, with gameplay design from 20 years ago. One step out of the way = mission failed. And don't start me on the hours of riding your horse to the mission starting points.
I really don't understand the 10/10 reviews and hype for GOW. How can you play that long boring Alfheim section and give it a 10/10? The story feels empty with so many of the Norse gods never actually showing up. It's like they were setting up the next game. Combat is better than the average game but nothing special, inferior to GOW3 and miles behind the likes of DMC and other great action games. It's a good game but I was far less impressed with it than I was with GOW3 when that released. GOW3s graphics wowed me a lot more, the combat was better and more visceral and the story was one of the best in the series. GOW3s bosses were way way better.

Better combat, better story, better world building...better everything. Only thing I really liked about Spiderman was the movement. But it was very mid.

MikeM

This is not an objective comparison. Personal preference plays far too much in swaying one way or another. I personally much prefer GoW simply because its not held back by having to tailor to a younger audience. I love me some Spiderman but GoW nails everything from depth of lore, themes, immersion and gameplay without the limitations of toning things down for other audiences.

GuinGuin

Banned
I'm a huge Sony fan but I didn't think the plot, characters or gameplay in Spider-Man were that great. GoW on the other hand was amazing in every regard. I think I just hate comic book capeshit. I hope we get way more Ratchet from Insomniac and far less Spiderman.

Top Bottom