• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In what ways was God of War better than Spider-man exactly, if at all?

ethomaz

Banned
because kratos is bisexual, need i say more?
Actually the Greek society has no taboo with bisexuality I believe so everybody could be what they wanted to be and most people were indeed bixexual.

Rome society was the same.

But the fact it was no taboo made it the norm… so there is no buzz about it.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Combat
God of War had much better combat.
How you could put them as equals is beyond me, dont get me wrong I think Spiderman combat was cool and all, but after a while it was basically mindless.
I think this is a problem that affects pretty much all insomniac games. They give you a lot of tools but dont force you to use them. There are dozens of great weapons in Ratchet but you can pretty much play the entire game on the hardest difficulty with just two. Same goes for Spiderman. So many gadgets. So many moves. It's still way too easy.

GoW was tough. You had to get better at combat to beat the valkyries. You had to switch up strategies in Niflheim and Musphelheim runs. Changing armor and gear mattered. Especially on the hardest difficulty which is pretty much impossible without NG+ gear.

I love ratchet and want to keep playing it but there is no incentive. Nothing to challenge me. No secondary mode. No Sigrun like end game boss. Nothing like the Bloodborne chalice Dungeons that compliment the main story mode. Sometimes you just want to get stuck at a boss and fight your way out of it. You just dont get that in insomniac games. Ratchet badly needed a second mode.

MiguelItUp

It's all incredibly subjective anyway, so there's no real answer here.

Personally I had an absolute blast with God of War. Adored the hell out of the combat, the pacing, just the overall feel of it.

Spider-Man I own on PS5 and just haven't really played it yet. I played around with it for a few minutes, and turned it off. I grew up loving Spider-Man, and I know people praised it so I bought it. But it's just been there and I feel absolutely no urgency to hop into it, lol. Does that mean I don't like it? Nah, not at all. I'm sure I'll check it out at some point.

But with God of War, I bought it day 1 and jumped into it immediately. 🤷‍♂️

Fbh

I like the combat, level design, overall structure, location variety and music better in GOW.
The story was enjoyable in both though I'd still give the slight edge to GOW if only because it was all new as opposed to Spider Man which, as all Marvel/DC stories, suffers from recycled characters. Things like Octavius turning evil would be way more impactful if he wasn't and established character with a story arc we are familiar with.

Don't take me wrong, I had a blast with Spiderman. But it's basically just a more polished and fun Ubisoft style open world.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
God of War was good, very good.

Spiderman was...passable.

I'm not sure we should even be comparing the two. God of War was better graphically, in combat, in story, in cinematics. Like it's not even close.

Last edited:

GymWolf

God of war blows it out the water in story, gameplay, graphics, audio, and characters. Spider-Man wins traversal.

They both lose on side quests.
At least sidequest on gow had a nice mini-plot like the 3 dragons, the dwarf king etc, and they were the right number, sidequest on spidey were just boring and the whole "plot" was stupid as fuck.

junguler

Banned
Actually the Greek society has no taboo with bisexuality I believe so everybody could be what they wanted to be and most people were indeed bixexual.
Rome society was the same.
But the fact it was no taboo made it the norm… so there is no buzz about it.
i was trying to make fun of david jaffe because of his half-assed attempt of being inclusive but i guess my joke or whatever it might be called didn't hit at all.

Mabdia

Well... I can care about Soy Kratos more than Soy Parker. The story in GOW is good and the support characters are likeable. Meanwhile I just hate almost every character in Spider-Man (Aunt May is the only one that I can care) and the Story (To me) is really boring. I Liked the gameplay in Spider-Man. But the package just don't delivered enough to make me finish the game.

GOW is nice, but recently I played Ascension and to me it is really a better game than GOW 2018 (played Ascension a few months later after GOW 2018). But it has some nice moments. The worst thing about GOW 2018 to me was the controller settings. Damn!!! I had to adjust it to play a little like the older games. I just hate attack with R1 or R2. It doesn't feels right.

- Graphics = Tie, both among the best of the generation, i prefer SM's setting but it's just a matter of taste.

OP... It just can't be a tie. On runs next to 60 FPS while it looks amazing. The other looks beautiful but just run at 30FPS tops.

GOW wins this easily.

I played GOW for maybe 3 hours and Spiderman 2 hours tops.

GOW wins.

I lose.

That's really sad.

The same happened to me but with Horizon and Death Stranding (Luckly one I payed less than a dollar (Amazon gave me a gift card) and the other was a gift.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I played GOW for maybe 3 hours and Spiderman 2 hours tops.

GOW wins.

I lose.

(Weird question/analogy unless you're 14 years old. No diss at OP just an observation. They're both respectively moderate good in what they're trying to do and I plan to someday finish them both. Curiosity + Sales FYI)

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Combat was awful in GOW…the changes to the system just never clicked…and man that camera…ugh…

Its just preference. I think GOW combat was awesome.

I enjoy both but God of War, story, Combat, epic moments and boss fights and setting just did it for me more

For me God of War (reboot) was a crushing disappointment. I'm not saying it was "bad", but it was far from what I wanted - and I love Norse mythology, that's my heritage.

The combat was great fun, and it looked good, but the recycled enemies and the ham-fisted crafting/rpg garbage was poor. And the efforts to "redeem" a character that needed no redemption rubbed me the wrong way. Kratos (in the Greek mythos entries) was great because of his singular, unrepentant, unfiltered rage. Dad of War was blech.

giphy.gif

Rage-aholic Kratos my not be politically correct or palatable to some, but he sure is more fun. He should have killed Atreus in the opening scene. :p

Spider-Man was fantastic though. It was certainly a bit check-listy and the stealth sections were poor, but the sense of swinging around the city, the combat, the story (and I don't really care for comic universes that much)...the joy of *being* Spider-Man was fantastic. Insomniac are so good. (Still Ratchet is their best work for me.)

Last edited:
In… most ways? The story is better, the combat is better, the graphics are better, the enemies are more interesting - it goes on and on you could maybe say spider man has better traversal?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Let's see, I platinumed SM on PS4. I then played through again to completion on PS5.

I've started GoW on at least 3 different occasions and have only made it about 2 hours in.

SM is one of the, if not THE, best superhero game. GoW is not even the best GoW game (in fact, it might be one of the worst).

d81c27f0b9200793e19c69871d395972.gif

Vaelka

I don't think that God of War is bad, but holy shit it annoys me how it's treated like the second coming of Christ.
Especially in regards to the story, ultimately it's just a generic soap opera sad dad story that has been told a billion times already.

There's some added level of depth to it because of who Kratos is, but at the same time it was already explored.
It just felt emotionally manipulative to me in the least imaginable way ever.

Again it's not bad, but it didn't actually do anything that was really new and it really went hard in on current trends. I felt like it played it extremely safe.
God of War is another one of those games that kinda reminds me how easily impressed people are by narratives in gaming.
If it had been a movie it wouldn't have been praised as highly I don't think, but oh it's a video game so if it's even somewhat decent people act like it's the most amazing thing ever created.
It's especially sad because it feels like games try to be movies too hard instead of actually utilizing the actual medium and gameplay as part of the narrative.
Video games are interactive but I barely feel like it's being used.

Last edited:

Yoboman

I don't think that God of War is bad, but holy shit it annoys me how it's treated like the second coming of Christ.
Especially in regards to the story, ultimately it's just a generic soap opera sad dad story that has been told a billion times already.

There's some added level of depth to it because of who Kratos is, but at the same time it was already explored.
It just felt emotionally manipulative to me in the least imaginable way ever.

Again it's not bad, but it didn't actually do anything that was really new and it really went hard in on current trends. I felt like it played it extremely safe.
God of War is another one of those games that kinda reminds me how easily impressed people are by narratives in gaming.
If it had been a movie it wouldn't have been praised as highly I don't think, but oh it's a video game so if it's even somewhat decent people act like it's the most amazing thing ever created.
It's especially sad because it feels like games try to be movies too hard instead of actually utilizing the actual medium and gameplay as part of the narrative.
Video games are interactive but I barely feel like it's being used.
The core narrative is the least impressive thing about it. It is good but nobody was blown away by that.

Its the reboot to so many fundamentals like the combat system and making a new system that was fun and compelling, a dense well designed world that was far more like a Zelda adventure than the previous linear games, and the depth of lore they added that made it shine. Whereas they kind of neglected the interesting lore they could have adapted better in the Greek saga.

And the fact they hid most of what they were doing like the hub world and RPG mechanics until we got to play it made it even more impactful. Most of us were still expecting a 12 hour linear game when we bought it

Like any game there is room to improve but GOW did so much right.

sncvsrtoip

I had more fun with Spiderman, GOW world was just too empty, everything wanted to kill and there were like 3 npc's you could talk too, also strange ending.

Last edited:

Snake00

In games I don't care too much about the story, but I care about how it is presented and the presentation in gow is just superb.
It actually made me feel something.
SM is just flat and boring in comparison.

brenobnfm

When you say "story was better in Spider-Man", what exactly do you mean? try to read a recap, the whole story is a mess. What exactly is so good about it?

I mean, amazing reimagination of Dr Octopus story with nuanced characters and great pacing vs Generic sad dad in a pointless journey full of macguffins with mediocre characters and the villain is a god with first world problems (omg i can't feel pain the horror)

dwish

I much preferred the combat, exploration and endgame of GoW. Grinding the Muspelheim challenges until I could beat them all, finding and defeating all Valkyries..
Maybe the difficulty you play on matters? For me, GoW was hard and that improved the experience

RCU005

Title of this thread should've been: I liked Spider-Man more than God of Way in every way.

Liking a game more, doesn't mean it's better or worse. They are completely different games and it's difficult to make a comparison. They are not in the same genre and have nothing in common.

I hate when reviewers do this with some games. They try to compare games that are nothing alike putting one game above the other. It's like people think it's not possible for two good games to co-exist.

Spiderman combat and mission design heavily lifted from Arkham with some improvements. Good game but its not God of war good. Nothing original.

Plus in God of War, you play as a man who sounded and looked like a man.Peter parker and Miles Morales both sound like a little bitch.

Naa kratos ftw.

Last edited:

Fahdis

What the fuck kind of a thread is this? How can someone compare an apple to an orange?

Besides GOW was the better game. I beat someone up while flying on a dragon and then kicked the dragon's ass too.

Besides, the first time you see the world serpent on top of you with how big the scale is, I literally sat back feeling scared. It was literally like being in Jason and the Argonauts type of setting.

Both games are amazing. Both games are nothing alike.

Your subjectively preferring one above the other doesn't retroactively and deleteriously impact everyone's perception of the other game. Both are universally praised and both can be enjoyed on your platform of choice. So excuse me when I'm not really seeing the point of this thread.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
godofwarspiderman.jpg

God of War was considered by most the best game of 2018, but let's forget about RDR2 and compare it to another Sony game, Spider-man:

- Story and characters = Spider-man story was significantly better and more emotional, God of War was just MacGuffins - The Game to deliver the mother ashes for no special reason.

- Characters = SM had much better written and multidimensional characters, while God of War characters were mostly shallow and one note, Kratos just say "Boy" and cliché tough dad shit all the game. And better not talk about the "character development" thing they tried with Atreus.

- Tranversal = Spider-man has one of the better transversals if not the best of any game, it's so good you might not even want to use fast travel most of the time. God of War was some boring ass backtracking through corridors and you better use fast travel, even with shit loading times (on PS4).

- Combat = Both had very good combat mechanics, i still give the nod to SM, it's just more fun and dynamic, but when you consider things like enemy variety and bosses, it's not even close, Spider-man is magnitudes superior.

- Soundtrack = Tie, both well produced albeit a bit generic, but they're equally competent.

- Graphics = Tie, both among the best of the generation, i prefer SM's setting but it's just a matter of taste.

So, as someone who played both back to back, it's pretty clear Spider-man is a much better game, am i crazy or do i just have shit taste?

God of War is the best game in history, Spiderman is a very good game.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
God of War had much better storytelling. Which doesn't mean more complicated. But it had real character growth in a way Spider-Man didn't, and the entire game was focused on that, the relationship between father and son.

Both great games though.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
The only thing that Spiderman does better is making you feel cool when you're swinging around with your webs... but that gets old after about half an hour. Everything else GoW does better (or A LOT better when it comes to stuff like characters or the combat feel).

Bragr

Banned
I mean, amazing reimagination of Dr Octopus story with nuanced characters and great pacing vs Generic sad dad in a pointless journey full of macguffins with mediocre characters and the villain is a god with first world problems (omg i can't feel pain the horror)
These are just hyperbole statements though, I'm not sure what you are referring to when you mention nuanced characters, I can't think of any, they were pretty straightforward.

And you aren't really describing the story here, I can say the same shit about every game: "I mean, God of War had such nuanced characters and amazing story omg like wow." You need to talk about the actual story and not just your feelings.

I find that people do this all the time with video game stories, just spouting out proverbs yet because they like the game, yet they likely forgot 90% of the story already.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Imo GoW is on another level of awesome. From gameplay to characters, motivation and story.
To be perfectly frank, I already forgot most of the story of Spiderman. Otto turned evil is what I remember, but that was only like 20% of stuff happening in the story...I think.

Fredrik

God of War is better than everything else I’ve played on Playstation, even Ratchet & Clank which is my GOTY. Enemy variety is lacking but it’s still a masterpiece.
Are you saying that Spider-Man is even better? I thought it was a QTE fest with no real control of your actions.

Kagero

What the?!? This is like asking why people think cats are better than dogs. Two different things, both great?

Taste is subjective, so ppl will like what they like. Some ppl in this thread literally think spiderman is boring which is completely baffling to me, but taste is individual.

Objectively though GoW completely shits on spiderman if only because spiderman does nothing new, but does a lot of things well (Arkham combat, swinging from spiderman 2(ps2 game), story is the quintessential spidey story with zero innovation, that surprise main villain ? Lmfao, guessed in the first 5 mins).

GoW pushes the boundaries of visuals, a new style of open world, unbelievable performances, one take( absolutely astounding and unique) and a complex story for adults, about a parent bounding with thier child ,with the cycle of patricide, the fate of his previous family and the actions he took( psycho murderer) in his 'previous' life. The character development in both games and how they are presented is barely comparable.

Without sounding patronising, I think the players age also plays a big part. Spiderman is clearly geared towards teens/young adults and GoW for 25 plus adults. Not sure that many ppl in thier teens would understand/appreciate the themes at play in GoW, parentage, loss, regret and self loathing.

Both are amazing, GoW is a masterpiece.

RAIDEN1

Haven't played Miles Morales yet, but plan to, the original Spiderman game ended up being better than I thought it would be....certainly better than Batman...the only Batman game I will check out next is the 1994 release based on the cartoon for the Super Nintendo..

Top Bottom