• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inafune: "I look around Tokyo Games Show, and everyone’s making awful games"

Inafune has lost his fucking mind. Watching his midlife crisis play out in real-time at Capcom's expense is getting pretty fucking embarrassing at this point.

I agree but disagree. Nothing shown save for maybe ninokuni, the last guardian, and the namco offerings impressed me. A lot of these attempts at new franchises or reboots seem to be trying WAY too hard to impress me.

Vanquish=Not impressed
Asura's wrath=Not impressed
New DMC=Not impressed
Mikami and suda collaboration=Not impressed
Catherine=Impressed
Ninokuni=Impressed
Last guardian=Impressed

This whole idea of "westernization" just won't work. Its like all these attempts at western design just consist of putting as many explosions on screen and shit going on at once in an attempt to make you say "WOW!" Its like these devs simply played something like call of duty and thought "lets make a faster version of this"

Maybe I'm being too harsh or maybe I'm wrong, but based on the art, dialogue( HUNTER OF DEMONS...MY WRATH IS YOUR HELL!) and snippets of gameplay I've seen, I'm just not feeling most of what is coming out of this TGS. While its true that western games sell well in japan, the best selling games will still be Japanese made games. Just as the best selling consoles are still Japanese consoles.

StuBurns

Banned
DevilWillcry said:
The worst games I saw from TGS were all Crapcom games. What the fuck were they thinking with dmc? I suppose MvC3 looks alright. What a tragic joke Inafune has turned Capcom into. I bet Mikami and Kamiya are laughing their asses off right now at Platinum Games while Capcom shovels out another outsourced piece of shit. Namco at least announced a spiritual sequel to Demon's Souls and brought a new Tekken Tag to the table. Level 5 showed an awesome looking RPG with Studio Ghibli production assistance. Konami's new Castlevania had a very impressive showing as did Sega's Vanquish. Then there was The Last Guardian (AKA the saving grace of HD gaming in Japan :lol). Capcom is the last studio to be pointing fingers at the Japanese gaming industry.
Pretty much. Japan were slow to start this generation I think, but they have some incredible looking titles coming over the next couple of years.

Man, Inafune just keeps spouting off ridiculous shit like this. Maybe he should take a long look at all of the crap Capcom is churning out.

icecream

Public Health Threat
2ztkd5j.jpg

Jeels

vectorman06 said:
Nope. They'll turn it into an FPS game with bulky Megaman using a hand gun.

Developed by a western developer of course, because only westerners can make games that sell well in the west.

graywolf323

Gold Member
okay so he gave us his opinion of Capcom's booth, maybe next year he'll actually check out the other publisher's booths? :lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
cooljeanius said:
I liked this part of the article: Nintendo always seems to be the exception in these East vs. West discussions. Yet Japanese 3rd parties keep trying to emulate Western developers and failing, while they might have better luck if they tried to emulate Nintendo.

Edit: Beaten by Father Brain (kinda).
On Home consoles, sure. But if you look at handhelds, many of them are in fantastic shape. Squeenix in particular, where their HD efforts have been disastrous while their Handheld have been making bank.

Y2Kev said:
I'm so sick of this clown. His company pumps out trash while he bitches about Japanese development. Nintendo's lapping you so fast the planet is going back in time. Even Sega's running laps around your sinking ship, dunce.
That's because Sega has all of Capcom's talent now :lol

pyros

I think a company which epitomises gaming, (this is a personal view, so don't get into a huff gaf), wasn't even there.

thanks thetrin

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Inafune has lost his fucking mind. Watching his midlife crisis play out in real-time at Capcom's expense is getting pretty fucking embarrassing at this point.

Seriously. Why doesn't Capcom shut him up, put him on a paid two year vacation, stop the outsourcing and get down to business?

I'm waiting for a Breath of Fire 6, damn it. :| And a proper Biohazard 5, damn it.

pje122

Gribbix said:
Mikami's comment on working with EA in the same article is kind of interesting:
Wow... you'd think if EA were funding the game it would be reasonable to receive status updates on the project every now and then...

Solid warrior said:
since the beginning of this generation one thing has been proved. Western developers production and technology is light years ahead of their Japanese counterpart.

and Hollywood makes the greatest movies on earth because they have more money to spend.

However, having more capable production and tech doesn't mean they make great games all the time. He is making it seem like everything at the show is shit. Which isn't the truth. TLG, GT5, Yakuza of the End, and Vanquish all look like great games.

Takao

Banned
DevilWillcry said:
The worst games I saw from TGS were all Crapcom games. What the fuck were they thinking with dmc? I suppose MvC3 looks alright. What a tragic joke Inafune has turned Capcom into. I bet Mikami and Kamiya are laughing their asses off right now at Platinum Games while Capcom shovels out another outsourced piece of shit. Namco at least announced a spiritual sequel to Demon's Souls and brought a new Tekken Tag to the table. Level 5 showed an awesome looking RPG with Studio Ghibli production assistance. Konami's new Castlevania had a very impressive showing as did Sega's Vanquish. Then there was The Last Guardian (AKA the saving grace of HD gaming in Japan :lol). Capcom is the last studio to be pointing fingers at the Japanese gaming industry.

While I agree with you on most things in that post, that's basically what Inafune is talking about. Lords of Shadow is developed in Spain, and is more Western in appeal than previous Castlevania series.

Teknoman

Y2Kev said:
I'm so sick of this clown. His company pumps out trash while he bitches about Japanese development. Nintendo's lapping you so fast the planet is going back in time. Even Sega's running laps around your sinking ship, dunce.

I dunno...Dead Rising/DR2, TvC, SFIV/SSFIV are fun, and the upcoming MvC 3, and Asura's Wrath look kinds cool.

EDIT: Vanquish and Asura are as far from western as you can get.

Jeels

It's also stupid that their solution to "Japan lagging behind the West" is outsourcing all their IP's to western developers. That is not a long term fix at all. They are contributing to it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
EVERYONE'S GAMES ARE AWFUL JAPAN IS A TERRIBLE COUNTRY IM GOING TO MOVE TO AMERICA WHERE ITS A PARADISE AND I WILL FINALLY FIT IN

pyros said:
I think a company which optimises gaming, (this is a personal view, so don't get into a huff gaf), wasn't even there.

I think you mean epitomizes.

dvolovets

If there's one thing I don't understand, it's the "Western game designers are inherently better than Japanese game designers" mindset. It seems very deeply ingrained in the game dev culture in Japan. Why are they so intimidated by the Gears of War/Mass Effect approach? Every culture has something to offer, and the fact that some aspects don't appeal to the Western crowd doesn't make it worse...why isn't anyone talking about the lukewarm reception of Western games, especially first-person shooters, in Japan? I understand that the US is the biggest videogame market, but that doesn't mean everyone should conform to the tastes of its consumers. I'm not aware of Inafune's previous comments on this issue, though -- what's up with him, anyway?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
CaptYamato said:
So is Inafune the Japanese equivalent of a Weeaboo? Thinks everything is better here yet won't leave his country.

I guess so , he Killed Onimusha because he wanted to westernize it ( Westernization for a feudal Japan setting game ) with Jean Reno and all the other crap , closed Clover and Flagship and went to c-rated western dev like Grin and Ninja Theory.

Takao said:
While I agree with you on most things in that post, that's basically what Inafune is talking about. Lords of Shadow is developed in Spain, and is more Western in appeal than previous Castlevania series.
This is true but it seems like Inafune is calling out Japanese publishers in general on things that Capcom has yet to get a solid handle on like outsourcing. Castlevania is being overseen and promoted by one of the biggest industry figures in Japan and I'm sure that has something to do with the positive buzz the game is getting. Capcom is just throwing a bunch of shit at western devs and hoping something is a hit. There's a right way of doing things and then there's how Inafune does things :/

Bebpo

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Japan's deadlines are more lax than America's? That seems kind of strange.

You're talking about a country where all the big games take 3-5 years as opposed to 2 years in the west. The feeling I've always gotten is they're more "when it's done" although obviously there are general timeline goals.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
dvolovets said:
If there's one thing I don't understand, it's the "Western game designers are inherently better than Japanese game designers" mindset. It seems very deeply ingrained in the game dev culture in Japan. Why are they so intimidated by the Gears of War/Mass Effect approach? Every culture has something to offer, and the fact that some aspects don't appeal to the Western crowd doesn't make it worse...why isn't anyone talking about the lukewarm reception of Western games, especially first-person shooters, in Japan? I understand that the US is the biggest videogame market, but that doesn't mean everyone should conform to the tastes of its consumers. I'm not aware of Inafune's previous comments on this issue, though -- what's up with him, anyway?

Lately, he's basically been down on Japanese development completely. He basically talks like Japan is going to sink into the ocean.

Bebpo said:
You're talking about a country where all the big games take 3-5 years as opposed to 2 years in the west. The feeling I've always gotten is they're more "when it's done" although obviously there are general timeline goals.

I remember back in the day when the best PC devs worked on a "when it's done" schedule. :(

isny

napkin dispenser
eznark said:
So he saw dmc? That's good.

And Mega Man Online...

thetrin said:
Lately, he's basically been down on Japanese development completely. He basically talks like Japan is going to sink into the ocean.

No no, that's California, Japan will just be taken over by robots.

dvolovets said:
It's not. Don't confuse the statements of a few very vocal Japanese developers as being representative of the whole.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Japan has hit a creative slump. Hell just watch the shit anime coming out from there. There's always an exception but otherwise they are stuck. I know GAF loves their niche games, but game making is a business after all and with niche games only a small company will live. The weird, strange ones that many seem fascinated to but ultimately are just bad games. Still, emulating the West is not the way to go. That will soon crash. Japan has to get those creative juices again and start making good, worthwhile stuff once more, like they did in the past.

KingDizzi

Banned
Well he does have a point, compared to MHP3G all of these games do look like utter shit. You rock my world my hair gel loving friend.

Bebpo said:

This isn't really a regional thing. There are companies on both sides that take too long to come out. I just feel like Japan was forced to have less strict deadlines to figure out HD development while the west was on top of it since they were all PC game developers and used to it.

tokkun

dvolovets said:
why isn't anyone talking about the lukewarm reception of Western games, especially first-person shooters, in Japan?

We just had a thread about it, but it devolved into the same thing this thread is going to devolve into.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
On top of that, the western media (acting as a filter) amplifies Inafune's "Japan sucks" barking.

Top Bottom