• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inafune: "I look around Tokyo Games Show, and everyone’s making awful games"

CaptYamato said:
and Hollywood makes the greatest movies on earth because they have more money to spend.

However, having more capable production and tech doesn't mean they make great games all the time. He is making it seem like everything at the show is shit. Which isn't the truth. TLG, GT5, Yakuza of the End, and Vanquish all look like great games.
I'm sorry, but trying to suggest that western games industry is not making 'great games' is kinda false. western developers production is over the top this generation, evidently.

also, you realize that TGS 2010 is not about these 4 games you were talking about. where ever you look in TGS show floor you'll find crappy games mostly. this generation began since 2005, Japanese games industry was nearly non-existent in the next-generation scene and they are slowly keeping up. they're pretty much late at this point. I mean how many years left until we see the new generation systems?

btw, It's not Inafune who is concerned only, other Japanese developers have expressed the same negative opinions, such as Takahashi of Katamari Damacy.

But Japanese developers have sometimes hit snags trying to tailor games to Westerners. Take Shadow of Rome, the 2005 action game Capcom made for European and American markets.

Shadow of Rome sought to recreate the domestic success Capcom had found with Onimusha, which is set in medieval Japan. But instead of samurai swordsmen, Shadow of Rome featured hulking, oversize gladiators.

Shadow flopped. And Capcom concluded that Westernizing a game took more than “turning eyes blue and changing the hair color,” Mr. Inafune said.
Shadow of Rome was so good! :(

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Somehow I don't think Inafune meant every single title was mediocre. People take things so literally; I'm sure there's no way he would disagree stuff like Last Guardian impresses.

People cite the maybe 5 top games at TGS as proof Japan is roxx0r while Capcom sux, but there was more there than the top 5.

Of course, there's no way his comments could be taken well right now with the salty ripe betrayalton feeling going around due to DmC :lol

Vrakanox

It's not Japans problem it's capcoms problem. Every year this guy says this stuff now and it's not doing anyone any good. I love the games SE and Konami have been putting out even Namco and they are in hard times. Capcom just hasn't been able to keep up and that's not Japans fault.

Blueblur1

Naked Prime said:
Man, he's so hard on himself. Some day Capcom will make games as good as Platinum Games but they gotta start with baby steps
I like this sarcastic response best.

I <3 Platinum. :)

I believe Japan should stop making handheld games and make games on console. Because on handheld, the problem doesn't exist.

Edit: Make less handheld games, not completely i mean

Fimbulvetr said:
You are soulless, and will die alone and unloved. :|

Oi, not saying I won't rent it or anything like that, but just that its not impressing me as much as it thinks it is. Probably because I've been spoiled by uncharted 2, so its cover system seems weak in comparison.

Oh and I don't know if I'll be able to handle shooting at robots and Russians again. But then again I've been wrong when I thought a game would be awful(FFXIII) and when I thought a game would be good(Devil may cry 4)

Capcom has been a sinking ship ever since Kamiya and Mikami left. What's sad is that Inafune seems to be actively making the company's problems worse, all the while calling out other Japanese devs for supposedly not being good enough.

The whole thing is so sad.

Teknoman

Actually isnt this just a gaming thing in general? I'm sure some well known person in the western side of the industry has stepped forward at one point complaining about all the FPS games...or the time when a huge amount of games were based in WWII.

StuBurns

Banned
lightless_shado said:
Oi, not saying I won't rent it or anything like that, but just that its not impressing me as much as it thinks it is. Probably because I've been spoiled by uncharted 2, so its cover system seems weak in comparison.

Oh and I don't know if I'll be able to handle shooting at robots and Russians again. But then again I've been wrong when I thought a game would be awful(FFXIII) and when I thought a game would be good(Devil may cry 4)
It allows you to take cover, but it's not really that useful. It's not like Uncharted or Gears.

Vrakanox said:
It's not Japans problem it's capcoms problem. Every year this guy says this stuff now and it's not doing anyone any good. I love the games SE and Konami have been putting out even Namco and they are in hard times. Capcom just hasn't been able to keep up and that's not Japans fault.
This.

Inafune stated (April 2010) "I want to end comments that Capcom games made in Europe aren't really Capcom games...basically saying that whether games are created in America or Japan or anywhere in the world, I will be the one overlooking it and so it will have that Capcom flavor that fans know and love."

So... japanese devs are worse than western ones, so I'll gonna overlook the western devs making our games, to get sure are enough japanese flavored.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
jman2050 said:
The difference between Nintendo and every other Japanese dev is incredibly striking, at least as far as success goes.
Well, at least they're all profitable (excepting scamco, lulz). If only the wonderful, dominant western creative powerhouses could say the same.

C-Jo

Y2Kev said:
On top of that, the western media (acting as a filter) amplifies Inafune's "Japan sucks" barking.
Yeah, and just when I thought that fad had passed. Expect 3-5 more articles in the next couple weeks asking what's "wrong" with Japan.

Solid warrior said:
I'm sorry, but trying to suggest that western games industry is not making 'great games' is kinda false. western developers production is over the top this generation, evidently.

also, you realize that TGS 2010 is not about these 4 games you were talking about. where ever you look in TGS show floor you'll find crappy games mostly. this generation began since 2005, Japanese games industry was nearly non-existent in the next-generation scene and they are slowly keeping up. they're pretty much late at this point. I mean how many years left until we see the new generation systems?

btw, It's not Inafune who is concerned only, other Japanese developers have expressed the same negative opinions, such as Takahashi of Katamari Damacy.
You're putting words into his mouth. He didn't say the Western games industry isn't making 'great games', he said they aren't making 'great games' all the time, which is such a true statement that I can't imagine why anyone would take issue with it.

You're right, you will find mostly crappy games on the TGS show floor. You will also find mostly crappy games at E3 and Gamescom. The reason for that is that statistically speaking, most games are crappy.

And you're bringing up Takahashi? Takahashi has always disliked the game industry, no matter which side of the ocean you're talking about. He has contempt for the business end of *anything* controlling the creative end of things.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Totobeni said:
I guess so , he Killed Onimusha because he wanted to westernize it ( Westernization for a feudal Japan setting game ) with Jean Reno and all the other crap , closed Clover and Flagship and went to c-rated western dev like Grin and Ninja Theory.

The tragedy of Onimusha 3 relived :(

joetachi

cosmicblizzard said:
This is another problem. Western journalists need to learn to like handhelds.
i think the real test is the 3ds and the next psp japan pretty much dominates the handheld world but people simply forget that. Another thing thats happening under people noses is the rise of Level 5 with good management and creativity they are taking a good chunk of the japanese market

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
thetrin said:
I remember back in the day when the best PC devs worked on a "when it's done" schedule. :(
They still do ;)

Man, growing up Capcom was like my favorite company. So many of my favorite games on Gameboy Color and Advance started up with that logo. Its kind of sad to watch now...

entremet

cosmicblizzard said:
This is another problem. Western journalists need to learn to like handhelds.
It's just that most of the United States is not a commuter culture in terms of public transportation. If you drive to work, you obviously can't play your PSP. Unless you're the passenger or carpooling.

Handhelds are always going to be second fiddle here and it's not changing anytime soon. The preference has more to do with culture than anything else and that's not changing overnight.

eznark said:

Because if the PC/Console scene is the only one you pay attention to, you're missing out on some of the best games this generation. Of course, all the western devs and media are about is "ZOMG, LOOK AT HOW AWESOME THE GRAFIX AND PRODUCTION VALUES AREEEE!!".

I'd honestly consider the west more creatively bankrupt than Japan with the exception of indie devs that make downloadable games for psn/xbla/steam/whatever.

C-Jo

As a Street Fighter fan, you're not going to see me badmouth Capcom too much, but yeah, I miss the PS2 days.

pyros

My view has always been that game play or game mechanic should be the cornerstone of any development, aesthetics even though important, should be of secondary concern, in this, Nintendo for the most part, gets it right.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Relix said:
Japan has hit a creative slump. Hell just watch the shit anime coming out from there. There's always an exception but otherwise they are stuck. I know GAF loves their niche games, but game making is a business after all and with niche games only a small company will live. The weird, strange ones that many seem fascinated to but ultimately are just bad games. Still, emulating the West is not the way to go. That will soon crash. Japan has to get those creative juices again and start making good, worthwhile stuff once more, like they did in the past.
I wouldn't say that. Much of the West is running on a very poor model. Where titles are appealing to the same population, with massive turn over rates and just as big budgets. They are running on the same model Hollywood does for their big titles, but unlike Hollywood who has a lucrative stream of revenue, gaming doesn't.

They are probably in a better position, as long as they understand the same thing many PC developers understand. You serve a niche in the market. Make your creative titles with modest budgets and you'll do all right. No reason to chase the golden ticket.

cosmicblizzard said:
Because if the PC/Console scene is the only one you pay attention to, you're missing out on some of the best games this generation. Of course, all the western devs and media are about is "ZOMG, LOOK AT HOW AWESOME THE GRAFIX AND PRODUCTION VALUES AREEEE!!".

I'd honestly consider the west more creatively bankrupt than Japan with the exception of indie devs that make downloadable games for psn/xbla/steam/whatever.

Exactly. While there are some great western developers, the emphasis they keep putting on graphics and tech is frustrating to see, and the western media continues to push this ridiculous notion of Japanese development having fallen behind.

graywolf323

Gold Member
Kaijima said:
Somehow I don't think Inafune meant every single title was mediocre. People take things so literally; I'm sure there's no way he would disagree stuff like Last Guardian impresses.

I think you underestimate his insanity :lol

Let's see this TGS:

The Last Guardian
OFMG GT5 more realistic than reality
Disgaea 4
Catherine
Project Dark
Vanquish
Ninokuni <3
Pixeljunk Shooter 2

It's a luck that Capcom is barely keeping up...

The_Technomancer said:
They still do ;)

Man, growing up Capcom was like my favorite company. So many of my favorite games on Gameboy Color and Advance started up with that logo. Its kind of sad to watch now...
Tell me about it, man. Capcom was the reason I bought a PS1 and PS2. Now I barely buy their games at all. It's kinda depressing.

entrement said:
It's just that most of the United States is not a commuter culture in terms of public transportation. If you drive to work, you obviously can't play your PSP. Unless you're the passenger or carpooling.

Handhelds are always going to be second fiddle here and it's not changing anytime soon. The preference has more to do with culture than anything else and that's not changing overnight.

Yeah, I realize this, and it's something that will have to be addressed. I honestly think the solution will be hybrid console/handhelds, but who knows how far off that will be and how it will even work with touch-screens.

eznark

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:

Ok, but why does the games media need to broaden it's scope if the demand isn't there? I doubt joystiq and their ilk are ignoring handhelds at the expense of massive readership. They just don't see the demand.

And lol "journalists"

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
entrement said:
The DS has sold over fifty million units in NA, more then the 360 and PS3 combined. I'd say its pretty first fiddle.

Vamphuntr

I think his quote was probably distorted a bit by the journalist. He just wanted to express on how, according to him, Capcom is so much better than them because they want to appeal to westerners. I don't think he meant that every single game were horrible. It was probably on how most japanese developpers didn't get Capcom's idea.

Some of the metldowns here are epic. I don't think how some of you can say that Mikami was that much better on that regard. He also made quite a number of dumb comments before, especially in the PS2/GC era.

And wtf with the guy that said Namco Bandai was so much better. Sure they will published Project Dark but if you ask them about bringing Tales Of to the west they will show you their middle finger. They are also working with Ninja Theory on a game.

Also outsourced doesn't always mean it's an awful game.

C-Jo

The_Technomancer said:
The DS has sold over fifty million units in NA, more then the 360 and PS3 combined. I'd say its pretty first fiddle.
2uh1uhc.gif

eznark

Banned
The_Technomancer said:

Not to the people who drive hobbyist website traffic apparently.

eznark said:
Ok, but why does the games media need to broaden it's scope if the demand isn't there? I doubt joystiq and their ilk are ignoring handhelds at the expense of massive readership. They just don't see the demand.

And lol "journalists"

How is there no demand? Look at Technomancer's post below yours.

Edit: And I see your response. Hmmm...

I'm not sure that's really true.

entrement said:

The baffling thing is that the Nintendo DS is by leaps and bounds the highest selling piece of gaming hardware in the United States, as well. Even the PSP, for how badly it's in the dumps now, has a very respectable LTD in the US. It suggests to me that there are quite a few people gaming on handhelds, but that, as usual, the hardcore audience by and large cannot see anything which they are not a part of.

Top Bottom