• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inafune: "I look around Tokyo Games Show, and everyone’s making awful games"

Azure J

charlequin said:
I am a little concerned for you if Yoichi Wada saying something intelligent gives you the overwhelming need to masturbate. :eek:

Dammit, it's like GAF has numerous little nuances and meanings to every one of its legacy responses. I JUST SEE & POST THE FUNNY IMAGES MAN, I DON'T MEAN ANYTHING BY THEM! :lol

MarkMacD

For everyone bagging on Inafune for saying one thing and doing another, the interview makes it sound like he is not in control of everything like you might think (at least, that I thought) -- take this bit:

Q.: What else needs to change at Capcom?

A.: Capcom also needs to reform its compensation setup. Our incentives are inadequate. Also, the way our company works, it’s hard to tell who’s in charge. That’s a problem.

I’ve been fighting for many years now to change these things one by one. But the business side is resisting change. They think developers are stupid and don’t understand business. That’s why I can’t be on the board of directors.

That’s the difference between Capcom and Nintendo. At Nintendo, 80 percent of the board is from development. At Capcom, it’s zero. All the business side cares about is protecting their own interests.

I feel that if Capcom changes, Japan’s gaming industry will change.
Capcom is not truly a global company. It’s barely keeping up. It’s being complacent. We have to change the way we do business.

MarkMacD said:
For everyone bagging on Inafune for saying one thing and doing another, the interview makes it sound like he is not in control of everything like you might think (at least, that I thought) -- take this bit:

Talking shit about the big wigs. Not smart, Inafune.

Also, if Nintendo can't make Japan "wise up", no way in hell will Capcom be able to do it.

I mean, seriously, for those who don't click onto that one-on-one interview, directly from it:

Q.: What did you do right with Resident Evil? That sold well overseas.
On the other hand, Monster Hunter’s sold well in Japan, but not overseas.

A.: We were more successful with Biohazard/Resident Evil. We made the lead character American and he speaks English.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I mean, seriously, for those who don't click onto that one-on-one interview, directly from it:

The article is full of stupidity like that. Here's another one (Sorry if this was already brought up in the thread).

I’m always so shocked when I see global sales rankings. I think: Wow, Capcom’s ranked so low. However you approach it, we’re dead. Resident Evil sold 5 million copies. That’s still no good.

When selling 5 million copies of something is "no good", you need to consider some SERIOUS restructuring.

cosmicblizzard said:
The article is full of stupidity like that. Here's another one (Sorry if this was already brought up in the thread).

When selling 5 million copies of something is "no good", you need to consider some SERIOUS restructuring.

He's also complaining that the board of directors don't let him make business decisions. Brilliant.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
AzureJericho said:
Dammit, it's like GAF has numerous little nuances and meanings to every one of its legacy responses. I JUST SEE & POST THE FUNNY IMAGES MAN, I DON'T MEAN ANYTHING BY THEM! :lol
Not really an obscure legacy thing there, charlequin was just referring to "The Contest" episode from Seinfeld. :lol

Jin34

Seriously it really doesn't make sense for him to be so stressed out about this, Capcom did a good job on this gen from the beginning. Good things to learn from the west are online and engine/asset sharing (think of how one of Sony's devs would figure a nice hardware trick and relay it to the other studios and even incorporate it into the SDK like with MLAA). Their online is where they still lag behind (haven't played SSF4 so correct me if I'm wrong) but on the second part they have been great. MT Framework is arguably the best multiplatform engine out there and anyone who has played a game on PC using it can attest to how incredibly efficient and well done it is. This has prevented them from having the problem where it takes forever to make a game like Square. Their games all sold well until they started outsourcing some later on in some weird appeal to western gamers when western gamers where already buying their games in droves.

The things where western devs/pubs are bad at is that they put all their eggs in the HD basket and treat portables as if they are beneath them and insane budgets that have caused a lot of problems for many companies so it's really something you shouldn't be looking to replicate. But Capcom, like most Japanese companies, take handhelds seriously and that's something that the West could really learn from. It's insane that they largely ignore the highest selling console (without even getting into the Wii mess). But Capcom is so good on this regard that they have MT Framework up and running on the 3DS and looks leaps and bounds ahead of any other game there, so they are well positioned already on there.

So Capcom was doing fantastic until Inafune got hit by this strange inferiority complex, someone needs to smack him around like the girl in Airplane and remind him Capcom brought a genre that was on life support back to prominence (fighting games).

he brought up many valid points in the interview. being selective to hate on the guy is not good.

it's funny that both Chris and Snake are big muscular guys and they are both Americans, this 'might' be one of the reasons that such games appeal to some gamers in the west.

I forgot to mention that If there was no Co-Op or any other online component in RE5, I'd assume it'll flop hard, cuz Online Multiplayer seems to be the norm this generation.

Pureauthor said:
He's also complaining that the board of directors don't let him make business decisions. Brilliant.

This is why :lol. If I'm reading this right, the guy seems to care more about global ranking than actual profit.

Coxswain

szaromir said:
From Capgod to Crapcom within 12 months?
It really strikes me as sort of a weird, short-attention-span sort of thing. I mean, realistically, you look at Capcom's output this generation and even if you're looking at HD, retail games, they've put out five million-plus selling games, including two completely new franchises, and for most of the last four or five years has been pretty consistently referred to as the go-to example of the Japanese developer who really 'gets' how to make games that appeal to western big-budget/HD tastes without compromising their roots. They've also got on their hands a franchise that does so well in Japan that it's basically credited with saving an entire gaming platform, a few standout examples of successful downloadable games, etc.

Then one MT Framework game flops and two of their western-outsourced games (which were for the most part in development at the same time and shared a lot of the same shortcomings) are dead on arrival, and all of a sudden it's not so much 'Capcom has had a couple of really shitty years coming off of a couple of really awesome years' so much as it is 'Crapcom is circling the bowl!' It's bizarre. I mean, I get coming down hard on Inafune because he's saying some really stupid shit, and he's doing it in a way that makes it really easy to take offense if you're of a mind to, but I don't think that's a very convincing indictment of Capcom as a whole.

Honestly, I've long felt that Japanese games have been behind the evolutionary curve as far as gameplay mechanics, and equal but different in terms of style/aesthetics.

Too bad companies like Capcom think that appealing to the west means overhauling the style but leaving the same archaic game design tropes untouched.

Devil May Cry was an amazing game.

Devil May Cry 3 was a great game because it expanded the combat mechanics for Dante and let you customize your gameplay style.

Devil May Cry 4 was a great game because it introduced a new character that played with a totally different rhythm than Dante (plus, I liked having ALL of Dante's styles on hand and ready to switch...but I can see how some prefer the DMC3 model).

The problem with those games arent the gameplay. Its the fact that they havent evolved outside of the combat. You're still fighting through incredibly confined stages, locked in arenas till you clear the room, and the sole motivation for coming back is to see different letters erupt on screen.

I may love these types of games and feel a compulsive need to get as many SSS combos as possible, but most people need a better sense of progression and better gameplay pacing.

Coxswain said:
It really strikes me as sort of a weird, short-attention-span sort of thing. I mean, realistically, you look at Capcom's output this generation and even if you're looking at HD, retail games, they've put out five million-plus selling games, including two completely new franchises, and for most of the last four or five years has been pretty consistently referred to as the go-to example of the Japanese developer who really 'gets' how to make games that appeal to western big-budget/HD tastes without compromising their roots. They've also got on their hands a franchise that does so well in Japan that it's basically credited with saving an entire gaming platform, a few standout examples of successful downloadable games, etc.

Then one MT Framework game flops and two of their western-outsourced games (which were for the most part in development at the same time and shared a lot of the same shortcomings) are dead on arrival, and all of a sudden it's not so much 'Capcom has had a couple of really shitty years coming off of a couple of really awesome years' so much as it is 'Crapcom is circling the bowl!' It's bizarre. I mean, I get coming down hard on Inafune because he's saying some really stupid shit, and he's doing it in a way that makes it really easy to take offense if you're of a mind to, but I don't think that's a very convincing indictment of Capcom as a whole.

An artist is only as good as his last work. Nintendo was in the same position here despite making some great games this gen even before SMG2.

Solid warrior said:
he brought up many valid points in the interview. being selective to hate on the guy is not good.

it's funny that both Chris and Snake are big muscular guys and they are both Americans, this 'might' be one of the reasons that such games appeal to some gamers in the west.

I forgot to mention that If there was no Co-Op or any other online component in RE5, I'd assume it'll flop hard, cuz Online Multiplayer seems to be the norm this generation.

No way any mainline Resident Evil would have flopped after coming on of RE4.

Coen

This Japan vs. The West debate seems to have replaced the once popular hardcore vs. casual topic. And I feel both are way of the mark. Having a commercial success is about setting expectations and budgets, not about catering to the biggest audience out there.

Jin34

Oh god just read Segata's post on Inafune's Resident Evil/Monster Hunter reasoning. It's worse than I thought, its as if he's looking for solutions for problems in Capcom that don't exist.

Solid warrior said:

By all means, I encourage people to read the whole article. If you don't see how he's missing the point, then you probably can't see the point, either. Bonus points to him for comparing himself to a famous samurai revolutionary at the end.

Also, I can now see where the New York Times made their mistake (and it is indeed a mistake) about the 10% thing. They asked him about games developed with just Japan (as a country) in mind, and he replied that they would still sometimes do it, but it's less viable as Japan (as a country) is only 8% of the global market now. The way they used this statistic in the main article, they made it sound like Japanese games were only 8% of the global market, which is incorrect.

Coxswain

cosmicblizzard said:
An artist is only as good as his last work. Nintendo was in the same position here despite making some great games this gen even before SMG2.
Yeah, it's really not surprising to me to see that kind of thing. It's just, I dunno, I guess a little dumb, is the point I was trying to dance around.

Sophia

Solid warrior said:

The reason these games appeal in the west is because they're generally perceived as being good. It has little to do with the fact that Chris is "American."

That, and no matter how bad your AI partner system is, it's still fun to shoot zombie and zombie like enemies in the face with a gun.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Mega Man Universe says hi - how about you shut the fuck up for a couple of weeks and deliver good games ?

Wallach

cosmicblizzard said:
Wait are you saying the global market as a whole or the global GAMING market? I'm not sure I understand.

The global gaming market. Put it this way - 8% of all video game software is purchased in Japan.

TreIII

MarkMacD said:

...well...too bad, so sad?

Not to make light of the "situation" or anything, but this is the way it's been at Capcom, Konami and some other Japanese publishers for years now. It's these kinds of things that have made it so that likes of Akira Nishitani (creator of SF2) and Noritaka Funamizu (producer for so many of Capcom's great hits during the 90s) left Capcom years ago, and I wouldn't be surprised if Mikami, Inaba and the rest of the Clover/Studio 4 bunch probably saw the writing on the wall when they did, too.

If things are really as bad as Inafune says they are, then by all means! Let's see him strike out with his own, either with his own studio, or possibly do like Itagaki and find a Western publisher who probably wouldn't hesitate too long to snatch him and his followers up and let them indulge in his fantasies. I could at least respect that much, if he wants to do his part to incite change, or at least "make a stand".

But of course, being the head of Capcom R&D has its obvious "perks", so Inafune has no real reason to actually rock the boat that much. Funny that... :lol

lyre

Speevy said:
He must have missed The Last Guardian.
Don't have to. He probably already played the team's last two games and made judgement.

PS: Mega manz failing so horribly everywhere sure has driven him insane. Well deserved.

Jin34

Segata Sanshiro said:
By all means, I encourage people to read the whole article. If you don't see how he's missing the point, then you probably can't see the point, either. Bonus points to him for comparing himself to a famous samurai revolutionary at the end.

Also, I can now see where the New York Times made their mistake (and it is indeed a mistake) about the 10% thing. They asked him about games developed with just Japan (as a country) in mind, and he replied that they would still sometimes do it, but it's less viable as Japan (as a country) is only 8% of the global market now. The way they used this statistic in the main article, they made it sound like Japanese games were only 8% of the global market, which is incorrect.

Yikes that paragraph on the 10% market share was one huge mistake, gg NY Times. And reading that wasn't really helpful, it just makes you shake your head, specially this part:

“Japan used to define gaming,” said Jake Kazdal, a longtime developer who has worked at Sega in Tokyo and the American game publisher Electronic Arts. “But now many developers just do the same thing over and over again.”

In that regard East and West are on the same boat. How can he be so oblivious to that being the same case for the West?

Sophia

Pureauthor said:
I am willing to bet money that Mega Man Universe will end up sucking.
I freely admit I have no fucking clue what the point of Mega Man Universe is, despite having seen the three trailers for it. All I see is a game who's bland art style leaves something to be desired.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Segata Sanshiro said:

If they go by that analogy:

Ryu is American
Jin Kazama is American
Cloud is American
Dante is American
Sora and Riku are American

sonicmj1

Inafune's exaggerating the problem a great deal, but I don't think he's coming from a completely absurd place.

For instance, when he says:
We basically want to make games that will sell globally, but some games might sell only in Japan. That’s O.K. – as long as we make a profit on it.

But Japan only has an 8 percent of the global gaming market. (Note: Including Nintendo.) So it’s getting increasingly hard to make a profit on a game just for the Japanese market.

or

You can’t take on America, head on. It’s like playing basketball with Americans. A 1.8-meter Japanese guy can’t take on a 2-meter-tall-plus American guy head on. There has to be a different strategy.

it seems like he has some sense of the general picture. As he points out, American studios have way bigger budgets, and while that might not be good for them in terms of business, it means that the games they produce are bigger, shinier, and have stronger marketing than comparable Japanese titles. That's a tough market to sell in.

It's just hard to tell if he knows what it means to sell in a Western market while maintaining an identity as a Japanese developer. It's clearly not as simple as he puts it in the Resident Evil quote. There's this odd contradiction in what he says about Lost Planet 1 vs Lost Planet 2 (Lost Planet 2 is both "too Japanese" and it sacrifices whatever difference it had from Western games simultaneously?), but I think there might be some truth in the contradiction. I'm having a hard time wording it, though.

That said, if he thinks that the 5 million unit sales are not good enough to the point that they're "dead", he's crazy. As he said earlier in the interview, the Japanese can't directly compete with Western developers in terms of investment. Why should they expect to outdo those developers while competing in the same genres? If all of Capcom's flagship franchises sell 5 million units, they should be ecstatic.

Inafune seems to be under pressure (either self-inflicted, or from Capcom's board) to keep out-doing the successes Capcom had earlier in the generation, and I think in an effort to achieve that, he's dismantling everything that worked to reach this mythical point of "Westernization".

It'd be a shame of all those earlier gains were sacrificed because of that delusion that more Western always means better.

Just to make a summary of what he said in that interview:

- Everyone at the TGS is making awful games
- Japanese game developers are making games that are 5 years behind and stuck in the last-gen mindset
- There is no diversity or originality in game play, ideas, or design
- Capcom is barely keeping up
- Japan is behind because when they find an idea that works, they stick with the formula, just tweaking graphics and/or image quality
- Japan is also behind because publishers are not putting $75 million budgets behind the games for development/marketing
- Shadow of Rome failed because it was only superficially westernized
- Resident Evil, on the other hand, succeeded because the main character was American and spoke English
- Japanese games cannot be popular overseas anymore in their pure state; they are like sushi and North America requires California Rolls.
- Monster Hunter will never be a success overseas because it is Japanese to the core and any attempt to change it will make it unpopular in Japan
- Games that sell globally are best, but selling only in Japan is okay if they make a profit
- It's getting harder to make a profit on Japan-only software because the domestic market is smaller than ever
- Buying overseas companies is just a start, it takes a lot of work to yield proper dividends from such a relationship
- Lost Planet 1 was totally okay for westerners, but the team that made Lost Planet 2 screwed up and made it too Japanese and that's why it failed
- You can't take on America head-on, you have to use strategy
- Inafune's strategy was to bring robots into the game and use harsh environments, but Lost Planet 2 lost its way
- He can't do everything he wants to do at Capcom. He's been strong-arming things through but there's still a lot of resistance
- Pay is shitty, leadership is nebulous, and Inafune thinks he can't be on the board or directors because management thinks developers are stupid. That's the difference between Nintendo and Capcom.
- If Capcom changes, the Japanese games industry will change.
- Level 5 rox
- It's too late for Japan to enter the US gaming market, it will take years now. Japan needs to focus on entering emerging markets in China and Korea.
- Japanese gaming is dead
- Inafune loves Japan and wants to save it
- Everyone needs to face up to the reality that the Japanese games industry is dead.
- Capcom is ranked low globally, is dead no matter how you approach it. Resident Evil only sold 5 million copies. Not good enough.
- Inafune fancies himself like the revolutionary samurai Ryoma Sakamoto, who made strong efforts to open up Japan to the West and got assassinated.
- Inafune daydreams about being assassinated in medieval times for being so bad-ass.

I mean, look at that. Look at his criticisms. He hasn't got the slightest clue about what Western games are doing to succeed. Oh yes, Western developers never stick to the formula... what was the top-selling game last year again? Call of Duty 6, was it?

ymmv

Banned
Solid warrior said:
I'm sorry, but trying to suggest that western games industry is not making 'great games' is kinda false. western developers production is over the top this generation, evidently.

also, you realize that TGS 2010 is not about these 4 games you were talking about. where ever you look in TGS show floor you'll find crappy games mostly. this generation began since 2005, Japanese games industry was nearly non-existent in the next-generation scene and they are slowly keeping up. they're pretty much late at this point. I mean how many years left until we see the new generation systems?

btw, It's not Inafune who is concerned only, other Japanese developers have expressed the same negative opinions, such as Takahashi of Katamari Damacy.

You only have to look at your current gen games collection to know something has definitely changed for Japanese game developers. In the old days (PS1/PS2) the majority of my games cames came from Japan, now it's the other way round.

Western games dominate the PS3/360 charts. I was going through google searching for the top 10 ps3 titles of 2009 and could only find lists dominated by western releases with at most one single Japanese game listed. Even Metacritic lists are dominates by the west with only a sprinkling of Japanese games. Only five games in the top 30.

If I were the head of Capcom I'd be worrying about the loss of marketshare in the past five years too.

Segata Sanshiro said:

- Japanese game developers are making games that are 5 years behind and stuck in the last-gen mindset
- Japan is behind because when they find an idea that works, they stick with the formula, just tweaking graphics and/or image quality
- Japan is also behind because publishers are not putting $75 million budgets behind the games for development/marketing
- Resident Evil, on the other hand, succeeded because the main character was American and spoke English
- Japanese games cannot be popular overseas anymore in their pure state; they are like sushi and North America requires California Rolls.
- Monster Hunter will never be a success overseas because it is Japanese to the core and any attempt to change it will make it unpopular in Japan
- Games that sell globally are best, but selling only in Japan is okay if they make a profit
- It's getting harder to make a profit on Japan-only software because the domestic market is smaller than ever
- Buying overseas companies is just a start, it takes a lot of work to yield proper dividends from such a relationship
- Lost Planet 1 was totally okay for westerners, but the team that made Lost Planet 2 screwed up and made it too Japanese and that's why it failed
- Inafune's strategy was to bring robots into the game and use harsh environments, but Lost Planet 2 lost its way
- He can't do everything he wants to do at Capcom. He's been strong-arming things through but there's still a lot of resistance
- Pay is shitty, leadership is nebulous, and Inafune thinks he can't be on the board or directors because management thinks developers are stupid. That's the difference between Nintendo and Capcom.
- Level 5 rox
- It's too late for Japan to enter the US gaming market, it will take years now. Japan needs to focus on entering emerging markets in China and Korea.
- Everyone needs to face up to the reality that the Japanese games industry is dead.

- Capcom is ranked low globally, is dead no matter how you approach it. Resident Evil only sold 5 million copies. Not good enough.
- Inafune fancies himself like the revolutionary samurai Ryoma Sakamoto, who made strong efforts to open up Japan to the West and got assassinated.
- Inafune daydreams about being assassinated in medieval times for being so bad-ass.

I mean, look at that. Look at his criticisms. He hasn't got the slightest clue about what Western games are doing to succeed. Oh yes, Western developers never stick to the formula... what was the top-selling game last year again? Call of Duty 6, was it?

The guy has seriously lost his mind :lol

sonicmj1

cosmicblizzard said:
The guy has seriously lost his mind :lol

To be fair, he thinks that if Japan realizes that they're way behind, they might be able to change and resurrect themselves.

That said, the Ryoma Sakamoto comparison stretches credibility just a bit.

Segata Sanshiro said:

- Level 5 rox

2s6kiv4.jpg

sonicmj1 said:
To be fair, he thinks that if Japan realizes that they're way behind, they might be able to change and resurrect themselves.

That said, the Ryoma Sakamoto comparison stretches credibility just a bit.

I just find it funny how it's worded.

"Japan is dead"
"I will save Japan"
"But to revive Japan, we need to acknowledge it is dead"

There's some delusional necrophilia shit going on there.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe he's just experiencing mid-life crisis.

Top Bottom