• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inafune strikes again: Mighty No. 9 Listing Disappears From Nintendo Europe’s 3DS eShop

https://www.onlysp.com/mighty-no-9-eshop-gone/
another sign of the potential demise of Mighty No. 9 for Nintendo 3DS has become manifest.

Sometime yesterday, Mighty No. 9‘s listing dropped off Nintendo Europe’s 3DS eShop. Considering this handheld version of the game was supposed to come out nearly three years ago, those gamers holding on to any flicker of hope are likely waning.

Along with the lack of a 3DS version, still no sign of a PlayStation Vita version is present.

The Keiji Inafune backer-funded project released on most of its planned platforms in June 2016. Although interest has all but faded, the fact that Mighty’ No. 9‘s Vita and 3DS ports are unlikely to ever see an update could be damaging to Inafune’s legacy.

So first the game ships delayed, and then it's unfinished with graphical problems and the PC version was ERASING peoples PC's.

Then you have false promises of updates, which were delayed, and only few came over years.

Then you make buyers make their own box.

Now you basically aren't even going to bother with the promised and kickstarter backed Vita and 3DS versions of the game.

Meanwhile you're eating lobster dinner with most of that over $4 million dollars you guys got for a project that clearly didn't take that much to make, some of which going to another project that was not on the kickstarter, RECORE, which was also released unfinished. (Also lol what legacy?)

Man I feel sorry for the guys that backed this, this is worse than the Ouya, and now the Atari box is another scam on the horizon who will be eating fine dining while people get some rushed out product. No wonder legit projects without 10's of thousands of $$$ in marketing can't get funding on Kickstarter or Indiegogo anymore. High profile scams.

This video is also a pretty good example of how much of a scam MN9 is. Dust was a much better looking game with only $40,000 compared to over 4 million.

Crew 511A

I feel bad for people who got taken for a ride on this, but absolutely not for the Atari VCS backers. If you couldn't see that was a scam, you needed to learn a lesson. Hopefully they will.

John Day

I lost all faith when they announced that other kickstarter when they hadn’t even delivered on M9, with all those millions.

StormCell

I paid nothing for the game. It's in my library, and I played it for about a half hour. I don't like and would rather have my 30 minutes back...

I feel bad for people who got taken for a ride on this, but absolutely not for the Atari VCS backers. If you couldn't see that was a scam, you needed to learn a lesson. Hopefully they will.

Atari switched from announcing a kickstarter campaign to Indie, because they knew they'd win regardless if the funding failed and only got some thousands, and also knew if it succeeded Indiegogo wouldn't help pressure them if they put out a fake rushed product that wasn't the promised product. By 2 million dollars funded it was becoming more and more obvious.

But even then I have to say for MN9, after that first delay, the first downgrade, and then the same company talking about Recore, all the MN9 backers should have known that MN9 wasn't going to end up good, and it wasn't. Now the EXTRA money given to create Vita/3DS versions is not happening and it's been so long no one can do anything about it now. Meanwhile they are on a yacht sipping fine wine.

A.Romero

Inafune is a clear example of how blind us fans some times are. He left Capcom because he hated his job. He said Japanese gaming was finished (as in no innovation) and then goes and promotes Mighty which is basically another Mega Man. And we went an believed him and supported it.

I don't think he intended to not deliver or anything. I think he has deeper issues affecting his work and that he was lucky to put forward a few good ideas that helped him raise in Capcom but he is not as talented as other guys in the industry.

Inafune reminds me of Itagaki in that regard.

rockyt

I don't really trust kickstarters. I read about a lot of over promises with lots of money donated but never meeting expectations. While at the same time I read about some of the people running these kickstarters sometime buying new luxury items and so on.
Also the gaming community as a whole as consumer get taken in ie scammed and suckered easily though into purchasing unnecessary stuff or investing in kickstarter scams. I think it is mostly we believe to easily in promises and what we see as a whole.

Last edited:
One assumes the 3DS & Vita ports are long cancelled, and while it's unfortunate for backers who chose those platforms, those involved with releasing the game and running the Kickstarter have probably taken the best (and potentially legally sound) course of action by staying mum on the subject. The whole thing, including the game, just kinda sucks.

Sentenza

I can see this game still makes people cry like anime fans on prom night.

Dust was a much better looking game with only $40,000 compared to over 4 million.
Well, while Dust was impressive as a one-man job, the guy who made it worked on it for 2-3 years at a bare minimum, so the "40K$" estimation is probably made with the idea that his development time was basically work for free.
Not exactly a fair standard to hold on other studios.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I think it is the right move to do.

Make sure to wipe off the existence of this game for future generations didn't know it ever existed.

I can see this game still makes people cry like anime fans on prom night.

Well, while Dust was impressive as a one-man job, the guy who made it worked on it for 2-3 years at a bare minimum, so the "40K$" estimation is probably made with the idea that his development time was basically work for free.
Not exactly a fair standard to hold on other studios.

The demo in the video was made before he got additional funding to actually finish the game. While development of MN9 didn't even start until the Kickstarter hit the first goal.

The Snake

I don't really trust kickstarters. I read about a lot of over promises with lots of money donated but never meeting expectations. While at the same time I read about some of the people running these kickstarters sometime buying new luxury items and so on.
Also the gaming community as a whole as consumer get taken in ie scammed and suckered easily though into purchasing unnecessary stuff or investing in kickstarter scams. I think it is mostly we believe to easily in promises and what we see as a whole.

It's really, really hit-or-miss. And I know that's obvious.

I've backed a number of things and I will say that more often than not, they're hits. And the only negative experiences I've had were MN9 sucking hard and a couple things coming out way later than projected. Other than those examples, I've been pretty happy with crowdfunding results. Yesterday I received American McGee's new card game and it's even better than I imagined, and it didn't take half a decade to come out. The Shantae Kickstarter is another success story.

With that being said, I'm still very hesitant to ever back anything thanks to Inafune's BS.

Recore was released at all? That's news to me.

EDIT: Oh. Mistook it for Red Ash. Red Ash, Re Dash, Re: Rockman Dash. Get it? Did that one ever release beyond the anime prom promo?

Which was the other kickstarted made before the FULL campaign was done for MN9. Red flags everywhere.

It's really, really hit-or-miss. And I know that's obvious.

I've backed a number of things and I will say that more often than not, they're hits. And the only negative experiences I've had were MN9 sucking hard and a couple things coming out way later than projected. Other than those examples, I've been pretty happy with crowdfunding results. Yesterday I received American McGee's new card game and it's even better than I imagined, and it didn't take half a decade to come out. The Shantae Kickstarter is another success story.

With that being said, I'm still very hesitant to ever back anything thanks to Inafune's BS.

All those guys are basically set for life at the backers expense. And it makes it so the average joe without even a thousand bucks for advertising now will need to basically hope for luck for his Idea to be backed. For average projects, you can't get much higher than $300,000 because unless you have marketing cash you ain't getting 1 million. Maybe after post initial funding but people aren't backing nothing now without a name or heavy marketing.

Last edited:

The Snake

I think Harmonix's new Amplitude was a kickstarted game as well, really happy with how that turned out even though I didn't back it.

I just remembered the Flip Grip, as well. Seriously, "here's our thing" and then updates every other day/couple of days about the process of designing, creating, etc., and then soon after it just arrived. Awesome, well made, well designed, and the team working on it was great.

Sentenza

The demo in the video was made before he got additional funding to actually finish the game. While development of MN9 didn't even start until the Kickstarter hit the first goal.
That's not the point. I'm saying that "just 40K" is an unrealistic expectation to budget a game like Dust.
It's clear that the guy invested a lot of his time and work across years ASIDE from the 40K budget he obtained through crowdfunding.

Top Bottom