• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inazuma 11 impressions: Random battles?!!?!?! In a soccer game?!!?!?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
For the random battle haters, I wouldn't run away so quickly. It's really not what you think.

vareon

So when does the random battle occur? Don't tell me you're going to school and suddenly bwooooosh you're attacked by another team? o_O

Soule

I always thought this game would deliver it just always looked so fun when the occasional scan came along or a few screens got thrown about. Glad to hear it delivers.

sprsk

vareon said:
So when does the random battle occur? Don't tell me you're going to school and suddenly bwooooosh you're attacked by another team? o_O

The story says that the student government president has it out for you so she has sent the other clubs to challenge you randomly to mini soccer matches. (4 on 4, no rules) and these matches have little objectives like score a goal, or get the ball. There's no turn taking or menus or anything you'd do in a regular jrpg though.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
It may seem that I have gotten the shaft by picking Sigma Harmonics over this, but in the end I am not supporting Level 5! :D

sprsk

RevenantKioku said:
It may seem that I have gotten the shaft by picking Sigma Harmonics over this, but in the end I am not supporting Level 5! :D

You are definitely getting the shaft, lol.

FFSabin

Looks like as the game progress there is more objectives in the random battles but still fast and easy.

And can I give this year's Footballer of the Year Award to Gouenji? This guy is a beast! :lol

sprsk

FFSabin said:
Looks like as the game progress there is more objectives in the random battles but still fast and easy.

And can I give this year's Footballer of the Year Award to Gouenji? This guy is a beast! :lol

Dude, it's all about Someoka.

CTLance

Sounds great. I loathe sports games, I am utterly indifferent towards soccer, but I want this. I want this bad. Can't wait until this gets released in Europe. They have to, they would have to be insane to keep it in Japan.

Teasel

RevenantKioku said:
this is going off thread but i would really like some sigma harmonic impressions

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wow, this looks like a great game. Hoping someone in Europe picks the games up, since I doubt anyone in NA would.

NSider

This game would be a sure success in Europe, and easily profitable in the US with proper advertising.

Nintendo.. do it. DO IT.

Haunted

Srider said:
This is a really packed game in terms of content. It's definitely the top DS RPG game this year, and quite possibly the best DS game this year. So polished in every way, and superbly executed.
:O :O

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
manueldelalas said:
Holly is Oliver Atom (Captain Tsubasa)??

"Super Campeones" is the name here (super champions...)

:lol

anime (ITA): Che Campioni Holly & Benji = Captain Tsubasa

Holly/Oliver Hutton = Ozora Tsubasa
Benji/Benjamin Price = Genzo Wakabayashi

mutsu

One of the complaints I had when I played the demo that comes with Layton 2 is that I could hardly distinguish who on the field is on my team and who is on the other team. I ended up passing the ball to random people and most of the time I fail.

Did you experience this problem? Maybe I didn't spend enough time with the game?

Not a fan of Level 5 but it really looks like Tsubasa, never understood why we never got a game of it in Europe. The show was pretty big.

NZNova

Random soccer battles?

jubhh1.gif

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Galactic Fork said:
Gosh this sounds fun! With the Eyeshield 21 anime tanking here in the US (stupid butchers), there's no chance the ES21 games will make it here. I want this for my goofy sports anime game fix. I keep hoping because it's level 5, it'll have a chance. I'm really excited for this game.

a show cant tank if it doesnt get released, but from what ive seen of the dub, i kinda hope it would.

Srider

Banned
mutsu said:
One of the complaints I had when I played the demo that comes with Layton 2 is that I could hardly distinguish who on the field is on my team and who is on the other team. I ended up passing the ball to random people and most of the time I fail.

Did you experience this problem? Maybe I didn't spend enough time with the game?

This happened to me as well. It's one of those things where you play the game and you grow familiar with the characters. Eventually you also figure out when to pause the game to draw routes, and it will allow you to see who you are passing to. You also grow to learn your formation and where your players are once you play a couple of matches.

I don't have any problem with that anymore playing the full game, don't know why.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Parallax said:
a show cant tank if it doesnt get released, but from what ive seen of the dub, i kinda hope it would.

It was released on that online Toonami Jetstream, but nobody liked it because they destroyed it, so it was taken off. That seems like tanking to me.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I hope a demo for this is in the US version of Professor Layton 2, which makes a US release more likely.

So yeah this game has me so impressed that I am definitely putting up some detailed impressions soon.

So far it is really addicting. I really love the mechanics of the game, especially the fact that you can set up strategies for your whole team during each individual encounter. The random battles are actually some of my favorite parts of the game, mainly because they can go so fast. Still only a few hours in but I have a feeling it will hold my attention.

BudokaiMR2 said:
So yeah this game has me so impressed that I am definitely putting up some detailed impressions soon.

So far it is really addicting. I really love the mechanics of the game, especially the fact that you can set up strategies for your whole team during each individual encounter. The random battles are actually some of my favorite parts of the game, mainly because they can go so fast. Still only a few hours in but I have a feeling it will hold my attention.
So with all these positive impressions I'm really thinking about importing. Sporsk already said it has furigana for kanji, which is a major plus in terms of reading. How is the general level of needed language skills? My japanese is sucky but for a game like this I'd be willing to play through with my dictionary. Feasible? Or is the language level too complex for a beginner?

Srider

Banned
Language wise, if you have good grasp of grammar in general, you should be okay with going through the game with a dictionary. Mind you that since this is a game aimed for kids, there are instances where Kanji is not used, and this might make things harder to parse if your Japanese level is not up to par. The furigana might also be a little hard to read since it's so small if you aren't familiar with the words.

I've already put in a good 25 hours, and I'm not even half way through the story. This is a full-on RPG, as hard as that may be to believe. I'll put up some more detailed impressions once I'm further in the game.

Srider said:
Language wise, if you have good grasp of grammar in general, you should be okay with going through the game with a dictionary. Mind you that since this is a game aimed for kids, there are instances where Kanji is not used, and this might make things harder to parse if your Japanese level is not up to par. The furigana might also be a little hard to read since it's so small if you aren't familiar with the words.

I've already put in a good 25 hours, and I'm not even half way through the story. This is a full-on RPG, as hard as that may be to believe. I'll put up some more detailed impressions once I'm further in the game.
Thanks for the answer. I thought it to be a good excuse to work on my Japanese while playing a game :D . Small furigana has me a bit wondering and it's 30€, then again if it's full-flegded and...argh decisions, decisions.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I can't believe I never posted in this thread.

I finished the game a few days ago. The final soccer game against
Zeus
was fucking awesome and incredibly intense. I won in overtime, 2-1.

For people interested in playing the Japanese version but lacking in Japanese language ability, I put up a pretty rudimentary translation guide: http://hdrlying.com/2008/09/12/helping-hand-inazuma-eleven/ (NOTE: For those who are afraid of getting lost in the game, there is almost ALWAYS a waypoint that you have to go to. It is very explicit about where you need to go)

I loved the game to be honest. The ability to save anywhere, a cool, simple, shonen manga style plot, awesome soccer special moves, and a really well done touch interface make the game a fucking dream to play. The story mode was on the short side (15 hours for me), but I loved every second of it. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Srider said:

Wow. I finished the game in 15 hours. Heh.

Haunted

thetrin said:
I can't believe I never posted in this thread.

I finished the game a few days ago. The final soccer game against
Zeus
was fucking awesome and incredibly intense. I won in overtime, 2-1.

For people interested in playing the Japanese version but lacking in Japanese language ability, I put up a pretty rudimentary translation guide: http://hdrlying.com/2008/09/12/helping-hand-inazuma-eleven/ (NOTE: For those who are afraid of getting lost in the game, there is almost ALWAYS a waypoint that you have to go to. It is very explicit about where you need to go)

I loved the game to be honest. The ability to save anywhere, a cool, simple, shonen manga style plot, awesome soccer special moves, and a really well done touch interface make the game a fucking dream to play. The story mode was on the short side (15 hours for me), but I loved every second of it. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Wow. I finished the game in 15 hours. Heh.
God, you're just making the wait worse.
emot-argh.gif

Thanks for the impressions, jGAF seems to love it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Haunted said:
emot-argh.gif

Thanks for the impressions, jGAF seems to love it.

:lol Sorry.

king zell

i finished the game in 10 hours and i dont know any japanese and didnt use any guide . the game is really easy and kinda short but i loved every minute of it

Srider

Banned
You guys are gonna laugh, but I just finished the game and clocked 52 hours. Most of it is from doing the
training rooms to get the rare items and rare moves. I did every one possible, which is about 5 or 6 per chapter I think
. 5-10 hours of it is probably from me letting the DS sit while I'm watching live soccer.

Anyways, at the end of the game my guys are too fucking strong. Final match ended up 4-0, and I only used like 2 special moves or something. I could have easily gotten double that score haha.

thetrin

Srider said:
You guys are gonna laugh, but I just finished the game and clocked 52 hours. Most of it is from doing the
training rooms to get the rare items and rare moves. I did every one possible, which is about 5 or 6 per chapter I think
. 5-10 hours of it is probably from me letting the DS sit while I'm watching live soccer.

Anyways, at the end of the game my guys are too fucking strong. Final match ended up 4-0, and I only used like 2 special moves or something. I could have easily gotten double that score haha.

What was your team level? I was 30 going into the last match.

Srider

Banned
50+ lol Endou is the highest at 54.

It gets to the point where you can just dribble through the opposing team without special moves.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Haunted said:

Wait, the..."wait"?!
Did we ever get an official announcement for a US/EU release or it is just you importing?
You know what I wanna hear, right?!

apujanata

Captain N said:
I just picked this game up today. Anyone know of a good guide?

Did you picked up the Japanese version ? This could help :

thetrin said:

Please say this bump was because an English version was announced, please say this bump was because an English version was announced, please say this bump was because an English version was announced.

Fake Edit: FUCK!!

apujanata

Dash Kappei said:
Nope, the US one.
What do you think?! :p

Well, I am not really following games release, so I am just keeping a fall-back position just in case it was released in US, and I am not aware of it :)

dock

platypotamus said:
Please say this bump was because an English version was announced, please say this bump was because an English version was announced, please say this bump was because an English version was announced.

Fake Edit: FUCK!!
FUCK! :( I was hoping too!

Top Bottom