• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Incredible Facial Transplant Surgery from the Mayo Clinic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

I saw this in my Facebook feed and am just in complete awe. Modern medicine can perform fucking miracles.

A few years ago a man tried to kill himself by shooting himself in the head from under the chin. He miraculously survived, but was left horribly disfigured. It took eight surgeries just to get him into a stable condition after his suicide attempt.

- The surgeon who spear-headed the facial transplant was the same one who performed those ^^ life-saving surgeries.
- The entire lower half of his face had to be reconstructed, from the eye-sockets down.
- The face itself was from a donor - a 21 year-old who, in a depressing coincidence, had shot himself.
- The skeletal reconstruction was based on the donor's anatomy, so the face would look natural when placed on top of it.
- Everything from muscles, veins, and nerves had to be meticulously placed.
- Eight surgeons of various specialities and 40 surgical staff were required to complete the procedure.
- The entire operation was rehearsed from start-to-finish over 30 times by everyone involved before the final day(s).
- The surgery took 56 consecutive hours to complete.
- Like with any other transplant, the man will have to have constant medical check-ups and medication to ensure his body doesn't reject the new face.
- He has learned to speak again through speech-therapy.

The donor (left) and the recipient before he'd attempted suicide (right):

kle0owj.png

I'll spoiler the before and after:

lDNTV36.jpg

Amazing work. Random thought, but it is odd how far away the eyes look until you put a nose between them. Final thought more on point---I really hope he is getting the mental care he needs to help turn things around in his life.

Noobcraft

Saw this a couple of days ago at work. Spectacular work from the teams involved and the best looking facial transplant I've seen.

Geist-

That's pretty impressive, but I was under the impression that suicide attempts made people ineligible to be a donor recipient? I was just reading a story of a girl who tried to kill herself with pills and ruined her liver, and went through a slow agonizing death because her suicide attempt ruined any chance of a liver transplant, but I guess considering this is relatively new, faces are not in as high demand?

kirblar

That's pretty impressive, but I was under the impression that suicide attempts made people ineligible to be a donor recipient? I was just reading a story of a girl who tried to kill herself with pills and ruined her liver, and went through a slow agonizing death because her suicide attempt ruined any chance of a liver transplant, but I guess considering this is relatively new, faces are not in as high demand?
Yeah, this is much different than an organ transplant- the demand isn't there.

Impressive. Face transplants are getting better and better. It's gotta be an enormous QoL increase for the recipient.

Yes. Not to be insensitive, but that pictures make Arseface's depiction seem suddenly realistic.
Well, he was allegedly based on a real dude - James Vance. Not gonna post an image here but you can google him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom