• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Index Corp registers Persona5.jp

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems you and I have differing opinions on how games are made. I don't believe business is done to recoup costs. I believe they are done to make profit, and these profit will go on to make their next game, and therefore absolute numbers totally matters. But I see you are beyond convincing, and I am not here to argue, so let's just agree to have different opinions.
I do believe they are also done to make a profit, and that's where the good sales argument comes from. I was just inferring that the ability to recoup costs would be the threshold separating good/bad sales.

NeonZ

Yes but the nocturne engine is the same exact engine and has the same exact models that atlus has been using for an entire decade.

That's what they did after Nocturne though. Those models were originally created for Nocturne itself. After Nocturne they seemingly recouped its costs by heavily reusing its assets in future titles, but that doesn't make Nocturne's budget itself low. That's probably the main reason it took so long for another attempt at a mainline game in the first place (and, unlike Persona, there weren't all sorts of other related products for Nocturne, just the rerelease).

The same goes for SMT IV with it reusing strange journey's models (irc).

SMT IV is the other way around. It reused artwork originally created for many other games, even some scrapped artwork pops up as demon sprites here. On the other hand, the new artwork made just for SMT IV is actually fairly limited, mostly to the main story bosses, with only a handful of random encounters/fusions getting new art.

Ganondorfo

Wow 25 pages for something that is not very official news. Imagine if famitsu/game informer/that kind of website announced it as official... People on GAF would go crazy. Can also someone tell me why Persona 5 is so wanted? Is it because Persona 4 is the best jrpg of GAF?

Samyy

Wow 25 pages for something that is not very official news. Imagine if famitsu/game informer/that kind of website announced it as official... People on GAF would go crazy. Can also someone tell me why Persona 5 is so wanted? Is it because Persona 4 is the best jrpg of GAF?

I don't know what you mean by "best jrpg of GAF", im sure opinions differ on what the best JRPG is for a lot of people but Persona 3 and 4 were excellent games so naturally people are looking forward to the next one. Theres a pretty dedicated fan base for these games and there hasn't been a new game in a long ass time.

Blueblur1

I don't know what you mean by "best jrpg of GAF", im sure opinions differ on what the best JRPG is for a lot of people but Persona 3 and 4 were excellent games so naturally people are looking forward to the next one. Theres a pretty dedicated fan base for these games and there hasn't been a new game in a long ass time.

Yep, it's pretty much that. It's highly anticipated by a group of extremely passionate fans.

Ganondorfo

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503191

I was right, its number 2 on that list. I need to check this series out, I always neglected it.

Squire

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503191

I was right, its number 2 on that list. I need to check this series out, I always neglected it.

Yep. You should. P4 is one of the finest games of all time.

Caught up on this thread.

• I think it's PS4/XBO.
  • It's about the internet's effect on social interaction and relationships. (I mean, duh.)
  • They will sell you lots if costumes. (Which I'm fine with, since I love costumes.)

Squire

Banned
tapping into infinite power of the cloud.

It certainly wouldn't be always-online, but if it was exclusive and tapped into the Internet functions, so the gameplay somehow evolves to fit the topic and theme... Yes, that would change the discussion.

I think Snake has the right idea. We were talking about this a bit in the community thread, but people are reading into that "Tier 2" comment and assuming (among other troubling things) that MS has no plans to compete in the region.

The fact is we don't don't know what they'll do, but they're coming to TGS, they're not coming empty handed, they're not afraid to open their pocket book, and Persona probably wouldn't be that expensive (they would most certainly port it later, too).

In this same thread I was saying the very notion makes me roll my eyes, but I think Snake has a good read on it. Especially when you consider that comment about saving money and the fact MS has the more expensive system at launch this go-around.

Snakeyes

So was Final Fantasy.
... and?

This is how I feel. I'm expecting models like in Catherine, but I actually really like the portraits in Persona. I'm not sure i could say that for any other game.
It's a bit of a dilemma, huh? That's why I feel it would probably be better off on a stronger platform that could at least render more convincing "pseudo 2D". Something similar to the new Guilty Gear would be a decent compromise.

WORLDTree

PFFT HAH. Ok.

I don't see why not, they already have a gauge on the reception of the persona franchise on Vita with P4G and it sold very well and much closer to the original release then P3P did, so while it most certainly isn't going to be exclusive I don't see why it won't ever come to the platform.

Personally I feel the surprise is going to be that its multiplat from the start instead of going later, most platforms are viable for it.

Jamix012

I don't see why not, they already have a gauge on the reception of the persona franchise on Vita with P4G and it sold very well and much closer to the original release then P3P did, so while it most certainly isn't going to be exclusive I don't see why it won't ever come to the platform.

Personally I feel the surprise is going to be that its multiplat from the start instead of going later, most platforms are viable for it.

I hope you're happy, I spent 20 minutes gathering data to prove this post false.
(Most numbers Media Create, used 2 sets of famitsu numbers when I couldn't find MC numbers)

Persona 3: 210319 (Famitsu)
Persona 3 FES: 165471 (Famitsu)
P3: FES (Best): 20043 (MC)
Persona 3 Portable: 232344 (MC)
P3P Best: 109,832 (MC)

Persona 3 + FES Total = 395,833
P3P total = 342,176
Difference = 53,657

Persona 4: 335,839 (MC)
P4 Best: 96,038 (MC)
Persona 4 Golden: 232,639 (MC)

P4 Total = 431,877
P4G = 232,639
Difference = 199,236

So no, P4G didn't nearly sell more relatively or even absolutely (yet) more than P3P.

Lagunamov

I hope you're happy, I spent 20 minutes gathering data to prove this post false.
(Most numbers Media Create, used 2 sets of famitsu numbers when I couldn't find MC numbers)

P3P total = 342,176
Difference = 53,657

P4 Total = 431,877
P4G = 232,639
Difference = 199,236

So no, P4G didn't nearly sell more relatively or even absolutely (yet) more than P3P.
Is this a joke? Vita has a year and PSP had 4-5? I'm not saying that vita sales are strong, but P4G sold very well.

Jamix012

Is this a joke? Vita has a year and PSP had 4-5? I'm not saying that vita sales are strong, but P4G sold very well.

All I was trying to prove was that his statement that P4G sold more relatively was false. Which it is.
On the other hand while I'm at it
Are you suggesting that P4G will sell 150,000 in the next 3 years? I'd be a little shocked frankly. Not to mention the relative figures would look far FAR worse if P4 had an FES version like P3 on the PS2. P4G already has that inherint advantage and even with that it's not going to beat it's predessecor in relative sales.

Edit: I'm not saying P4G sold badly, but it did sell worse (relatively speaking) than P3P. All that proves to me is that it could have done far better.

Squire

Banned

P3P total = 342,176
Difference = 53,657

P4 Total = 431,877
P4G = 232,639
Difference = 199,236

Is this a joke? Vita has a year and PSP had 4-5?

Nope, it's for real. P4G sold well, fast, and on a system with a fraction of the PSPs install base at the time of P3Ps release. Same logic applies to P4 on PS2. Doing half that game's lifetime sales in a matter of months is astonishing.

If anything, you're helping the other poster's point Jamix. Thanks for doing your homework though.

Village

It could only help the Vita honestly.

Or it could soul calibur 3 the game.

" Persona5 Exculsive for the PSVita."

" oh, I'll just skip this one. I'm not going to pay money just to play some fringle jrpg on a console ( as far as I am concerned anyways) with nothing worth while to play, and isn't going to have smash brothers and mario kart on it in the future.You can have fun with that though."

Jamix012

Nope, it's for real. P4G sold well, fast, and on a system with a fraction of the PSPs install base at the time of P3Ps release. Same logic applies to P4 on PS2. Doing half that game's lifetime sales in a matter of months is astonishing.

If anything, you're helping the other poster's point Jamix. Thanks for doing your homework though.

I am not doing anything other than proving his exact point wrong. His point was a factual statement that P4G sold closer to it's original game than P3P which is untrue. So I don't see how I've backed up his statement at all.
I love P4G on my Vita, but it hasn't beaten the sales of P3P yet and won't do better relative to its original ever. Again P4G has an advantage in that there were 2 distinct versions of P3 prior to P3P so frankly P4G did fairly average in my eyes, but each to their own opinion.

sense

P3P total = 342,176
Difference = 53,657

P4 Total = 431,877
P4G = 232,639
Difference = 199,236

it isn't exactly a fair comparison is it now? p3p + p3p best adds up to that 342,176 vs just p4g plus p4g prolly has a pretty decent digital sales as well and there has been no best version yet for it. 5 versions of p3 versus just 3 of p4 and vita had a small userbase as well compared to psp and still sold more

libregkd

I think talk of P5 being a handheld exclusive is crazy talk, but I would be shocked if the game didn't make its way onto the Vita at some point in time. Whether it'd be a multiplatform release alongside the console version or something akin to P3P/P4G I don't know.

Midou

It being on PS4 would be such a win for future PS4 owners who already have a Vita. My goodness it would be glorious.

Ugh PS4 would probably mean some 20-30 hour, less content version than Persona 3 and 4, if they were actually going to use the PS4's hardware. Would rather have it be on PS3/360 or even Vita if it meant it being more like P3/P4 and 60-80+ hour epics.

Spinluck

But if Aeana's hints are to be believed, this is probably not happening? At least not exclusively, anyway.

I'm dying to know where this'll end up.

I haven't really been able to keep up with all of the hints dropped, but from the few post I read, it seems too vague to come to any conclusion. At least, I think so.

Ugh PS4 would probably mean some 20-30 hour, less content version than Persona 3 and 4, if they were actually going to use the PS4's hardware. Would rather have it be on PS3/360 or even Vita if it meant it being more like P3/P4 and 60-80+ hour epics.

What, wouldn't that mean a bigger game. There were posters on here who were discussing the issues they'd have with a handheld only version, PS4 or a home console version would mean less compromises and limitations. I highly doubt we'd see a Persona game that's only 20 or so hours, that's ludicrous lol. Even 30hrs is selling it short.

EDIT: I wouldn't mind a PS3 version at all. I just want it on home consoles.

Midou

What, wouldn't that mean a bigger game. There were posters on here who were discussing the issues they'd have with a handheld only version, PS4 or a home console version would mean less compromises and limitations. I highly doubt we'd see a Persona game that's only 20 or so hours, that's ludicrous lol. Even 30hrs is selling it short.

Well it would take much longer to make the assets as next-gen visuals versus this-gen. It may be easier for them to work with more powerful hardware, but I'm sure if they were going to go next-gen, they would not simply use a PS3/360-engine.

Not to mention that the PS3/360 combined sales are 140 million, selling it early in the PS4 life seems like a poor choice.

I prefer a PS3/360 release, but if going next-gen involved them taking much longer to develop the game or having to cut things back content wise due to the cost of next-gen development, would prefer Vita over PS4.

Or it could soul calibur 3 the game.

" Persona5 Exculsive for the PSVita."

" oh, I'll just skip this one. I'm not going to pay money just to play some fringle jrpg on a console ( as far as I am concerned anyways) with nothing worth while to play, and isn't going to have smash brothers and mario kart on it in the future.You can have fun with that though."

You're absolutely right but the Vita library has tumbleweeds rolling through it right now.

It needs SOMETHING.

I can see it on the PS4, but I wouldn't expect it to have nearly all the bells of whistles of an AAA budget title.

MegaTen has always come short in the technical department, but more than makes up for it with its gameplay, story, and overall presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom