• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones and the Iron Phoenix (cancelled Fate of Atlantis sequel) revealed

Radogol

Jan 13, 2010

Not sure how I missed this. It's from about a week ago but I've searched here and found nothing.

It's common knowledge that Lucasarts worked on a Fate of Atlantis sequel back in 93/94. We finally got new info though, and lots of it.

Aric Wilmunder, one of Lucasarts' most prolific designers, has published design documents from the game. Here they are:

Design Document
Storyboards, Part One
Storyboards, Part Two
Storyboards, Part Three
Character Sheet

There's also a new retrospective from Mixnmojo with Wilmunder's participation. Catch it at this link.

Thought some old-timers over here might care :)

SMG

Dec 13, 2015
I loved Fate of Atlantis. How can we get Iron Phoenix made???
A few talented fans. Old school Point and Click fans have proven time and again they can could pretty close to the quality of the golden age greats

Radogol

Jan 13, 2010
So why did this get junked?
That's explained in the retrospective I've linked to in the first post. In short: a) part of the game was outsourced to an incompetent company, b) project lead was moved to The Dig, c) there were some story issues that would make it impossible to sell the game in Germany without major changes.

eso76

Jun 25, 2004
Just skimmed through part of the storyboard, sounds interesting.
Would have loved this back then. Still would.

But yep, as others have said, while those sprites are fantastic, I don't think the artstyle fits the series. Coming from FOA this would have looked like it was targeted to a younger audience I think.

Darte

Dec 5, 2008
There was a sequel to Fate of Atlantis?! And now we can't even get a kickstarter due to licensing?! This makes me incredibly unhappy as a P&C gamer from the good old days :(

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Jan 21, 2013
Norway
Sucks this was cancelled, Fate of Atlantis was amazing, and Im sure this would have been great too.

Flipyap

Dec 12, 2008
Those sprites are fantastic.
Fate of Atlantis might be the best-designed adventure game and now you're telling me that it could have gotten a sequel with a Full Throttlesque art style?! We truly live in the darkest timeline.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Jun 8, 2004
Damn, would have loved this.

The world can make up for this by delivering Fate of Atlantis Remastered.

poncle

Feb 20, 2015
London
www.poncle.net
This hurts man. Fate of Atlantis is special, been wanting that Indy's RETURN for ages.

Still butthurt that there isn't a sound blaster full version of the soundtrack anywhere.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Sep 22, 2005
Pretty sure this was the first cancellation as Lucasarts transitioned from one of the top-tier game publishers to shit-tier.

Radogol

Jan 13, 2010
Pretty sure this was the first cancellation as Lucasarts transitioned from one of the top-tier game publishers to shit-tier.
Well, Loom 2 was cancelled before this was, or at the very least it didn't progress beyond the design document. And Lucasarts still published Full Throttle and Curse of Monkey Island among other classic titles afterwards.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Dec 5, 2005
Those sprites are fantastic.
Fate of Atlantis might be the best-designed adventure game and now you're telling me that it could have gotten a sequel with a Full Throttlesque art style?! We truly live in the darkest timeline.
But at least we got The Dig......

Apr 6, 2009
Vancouver...ish.
I wish we could get an Indiana Jones game/series on modern consoles in the vein of Uncharted/Tomb Raider, but as period pieces with greater focus on exploration, mythology, and puzzle solving.

LastNac

May 5, 2012
Real talk, EA signed with Disney who licenses Star Wars, would it be possible for EA to get the license for Indiana Jones as well?

Full circle - an Amy Hennig Indiana Jones game from Visceral!

SchrodingerC

Apr 16, 2014
Oh man, the potential to be a great game was there.
I wish we'd get another Indiana Jones game, especially one voiced by Ford himself.

Sciz

Oct 9, 2007
Siiiiiigh.

It's cool that we get to see hundreds of pages of design documents, but at the same time, I didn't really need to be reminded that this game existed.

kimifan141

Mar 10, 2015
Oh man fate of Atlantis was the first adventure game that got me interested in genre , i got into the internet world pretty late aka 2009 and the first thing i did was look up was for a Atlantis sequel sigh......

I have played almost all adventure games that had atlantis name in it none came as close.

Someone needs to do this game

SirNinja

Aug 26, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
steamcommunity.com
I'm not sure the Full Throttle art style works as well for the Indiana Jones universe, but I would have played the shit out of this regardless. Fate of Atlantis is still THE point-and-click adventure to beat, and this looked like a very worthy followup. I'd known about Iron Phoenix for a while, but I had no idea it was this far along. It really sucks that we'll never get to play it.

Sidewinder

Jun 10, 2009
Not sure if I want to look through that, might hurt too much!!1 Thanks for sharing, loved them good ole Indiana point & click games.

CrichtonKicks

Nov 6, 2004
Why was it canned? Did the point in click market crash that fast?

Fate of Atlantis was literally the first game I purchased when I get my first computer in 1993. X-Wing and Ultima 7 were purchased the same day.