• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie game developer Chloe Sagal attempted suicide on TwitchTV, not dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

astraycat

I read everything, finding out he was transgender was huge. A lot of the people's comments of scam are valid. A lot of transgenders would do anything for surgery, just read about all the transgender people in prisons. They want to all commit suicide if they don't get thier stuff.

Sad if he really needed surgery for his health.

Does the fact that transgendered people would rather commit suicide than live as their biological sex not set off some alarm bells up there for you? Their gender identity is core to who they are, and the not being able to express that in their own body is incredibly distressing.

Transphobia is also far more prevalent than homophobia. It's very hard to be trans.

This is sad all around, regardless of whether or not Chloe is trans. No "if"s about it.

Edit: glad to hear she's still alive.

She's alive and at the hospital. Not sure if I'm going to post more details but that's all I have for now, not sure if she even wants me to share that on here, but it sounds like things have gotten a bit serious... but she's okay right now.

Thank you for sharing.

Ohmwrecker

Neo Member
She's alive and at the hospital. Not sure if I'm going to post more details but that's all I have for now, not sure if she even wants me to share that on here, but it sounds like things have gotten a bit serious... but she's okay right now.

I too hope this is true, I was involved in getting Chloe help last month when this was going on, and spoke with officers that were involved last time about an hour ago. Last I heard they sent a squad car out. I'm going to PM you in a sec.

One thing to note, and at this point it's important to say this in the event this ever comes up again. Chloe Sagal is an alias, it is not a real name. If there are threats like this again and you are reaching out to the police please make sure that you make that clear.

I read everything, finding out he was transgender was huge. A lot of the people's comments of scam are valid. A lot of transgenders would do anything for surgery, just read about all the transgender people in prisons. They want to all commit suicide if they don't get thier stuff.

Sad if he really needed surgery for his health.
Even if she was transgendered, why would you change the pronoun you would refer to her with? It's probably not intentional on your part, but that's probably one of the most hurtful things you could do.

Feep

Banned
Awesome. Give her an indie game dev fist bump for me.

Can't respect suiciders, sorry.

I know, right? Suicidal people should just man up and overcome mental illness through sheer willpower or, failing that, proper chin elevation.

Does the fact that transgendered people would rather commit suicide than live as their biological sex not set off some alarm bells up there for you? Their gender identity is core to who they are, and the not being able to express that in their own body is incredibly distressing.

Transphobia is also far more prevalent than homophobia. It's very hard to be trans.

Unfortunately it's still hard for non-transgendered people to wrap our heads around sex reassignment as a treatment for an illness rather than as a "luxury" like cosmetic surgery. There's little else analogous to it.

sephi22

1. Thread title needs a change.

2. I'm not going to pile on the junior like the rest of you, for his opinion. He may have his reasons for not respecting people who commit suicide. He's entitled to it. However, calling him out for making that drive by post in this thread without any other contribution is fair. He should have ignored the thread. But I don't think his post is that offensive or demeaning.

BanGy.nz

Banned
Even if she was transgendered, why would you change the pronoun you would refer to her with? It's probably not intentional on your part, but that's probably one of the most hurtful things you could do.Also, fuck you and your disgusting opinion.

Thank you for saying it, such a simple thing but I've seen it absolutely wreck peoples self esteem.
I'm usually pretty bummed when my gross fraud attempts fail too, we've all been there.
You've badly misjudge your audience.

Hawkins

Banned
Can't respect suiciders, sorry.

I agree, there are people that do not have the option to live that would love to do so, and then you have people that are just a waste of life and end their own. The only people that suffer are the families and friends in those situations, that's who I feel sorry for, not the ones that end their own lives like cowards.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The brain-dead junior brigade is out in full force today, it seems.

People are allowed to disagree with your stance and have their own opinion. Running around saying "Fuck your disgusting opinion" isn't helping anyone.

zon

1. Thread title needs a change.

2. I'm not going to pile on the junior like the rest of you, for his opinion. He may have his reasons for not respecting people who commit suicide. He's entitled to it. However, calling him out for making that drive by post in this thread without any other contribution is fair. He should have ignored the thread. But I don't think his post is that offensive or demeaning.

It is ignorant. That is enough.

RSP

Wow, very depressing thread, regardless of her being a developer of course.

Good to learn she is at a hospital right now. I hope things take a turn for the better soon.

People are allowed to disagree with your stance and have their own opinion. Running around saying "Fuck your disgusting opinion" isn't helping anyone.
Of course they are. And believe it or not, so am I (although what you refer to was promptly redacted right after).

Cool. I do too, just not for con artists who poison the river for people to get help via crowd funding.
Implicitly condoning their death through suicide would seem a bit extreme in such a case, however. I guess some people take crowd-funding more seriously than I do.

Vortex566

I know, right? Suicidal people should just man up and overcome mental illness through sheer willpower or, failing that, proper chin elevation.

Unfortunately it's still hard for non-transgendered people to wrap our heads around sex reassignment as a treatment for an illness rather than as a "luxury" like cosmetic surgery. There's little else analogous to it.

This just made me laugh out loud at work. Such a sad story, I'm sure in the UK you can get this type of surgery on the NHS.

daycru

Implicitly condoning their death through suicide would seem a bit extreme in such a case, however. I guess some people take crowd-funding more seriously than I do.
Firs off, there's no death to condone or not condone. Second, where did I "condone" her dying?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
This isn't really the time nor the place for sanctimonious, personal criticism though. Especially when all it takes is a chemical imbalance to trigger suicidal behavior. If empathy isn't possible then a little sympathy wouldn't hurt.

Well most who attempt suicide by overdosing are doing it for attention. The mortality rate is less than 2%.
Straight from WHO:
Every year, almost one million people die from suicide; a "global" mortality rate of 16 per 100,000, or one death every 40 seconds.

Yay, suicide is totes cool.
No.
It doesn't work that way.

Just to make it easier to get:

Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death.
More Americans die from suicide than car crashes.
So, yeah.
Just attention seekers, am i rite?
Get out.

libregkd

Is mocking suicidal people the "in" thing to do now? Jesus Christ at some of the posts in this thread.

I'm glad to hear that she is alright and in a hospital and hope that she gets the help that she needs. Being in that state of mind, of absolute hopelessness, is a fucking frightening path to be on and is one I don't wish on anyone. Especially when its something people just really don't have that much control over.

Glad she's getting taken care of.

I agree, there are people that do not have the option to live that would love to do so, and then you have people that are just a waste of life and end their own. The only people that suffer are the families and friends in those situations, that's who I feel sorry for, not the ones that end their own lives like cowards.
You both should probably spend some time understanding the subject matter in question before subjecting the rest of us to your yet embryonic thoughts from high horses.

Niwa

Well the people calling me out here, I don't know if you been through shit or something, but to just escape from everything is not the right thing to do, and to livestream it is even worse! I can imagine that to commit suicide isn't something you do out of fun, but to just flee out of your problems is not the right thing to do. I've been through shit, not the same shit as this Lady but my opinion remains, there is no reason to pay respect to someone who just gave away this present that is life.

Just don't commit suicide, life is beautiful.

You've never worked in an er before have you?

If you're quick most overdoses can be treated, true. A lot of medical overdoses are indeed used as a form of attention, but not all. I spoke to ER doctors who knew 'regular periodic suiciders' seeking attention this way.

If you really wanted to do it I think you would be better off hanging yourself. Suicide by overdose is definitely not the way you want to take your life, it can be very long and painful if you use OTC stuff like paracetamol/acetaminphen.

Let's hope this person gets some proper treatment.

Feep

Banned
Well the people calling me out here, I don't know if you been through shit or something, but to just escape from everything is not the right thing to do, and to livestream it is even worse! I can imagine that to commit suicide isn't something you do out of fun, but to just flee out of your problems is not the right thing to do. I've been through shit, not the same shit as this Lady but my opinion remains, there is no reason to pay respect to someone who just gave away this present that is life.

I understand what you're trying to say, but you seriously need to educate yourself on mental illness in general. I'm trying to be nice here. It doesn't work like that.

There was a recent Hyperbole and a Half post on this subject. I'm on my phone at the moment; can someone link it?

baphomet

If you're quick most overdoses can be treated, true. A lot of medical overdoses are indeed used as a form of attention, but not all. I spoke to ER doctors who knew 'regular periodic suiciders' seeking attention this way.

If she really wanted to do it I think you would be better off hanging yourself. Suicide by overdose is definitely not the way you want to take your life, it can be very long and painful if you use OTC stuff like paracetamol/acetaminphen.

Let's hope this person gets some proper treatment.

Agreed. She'll definitely get the attention she needs after the episode, and in the end that's what matters. There are other ways of going about seeking help, but sometimes people don't see any other way.

I hope you are under 18, because then there is hope that you might one day mature and gain the knowledge and insight to realize things are much more complicated than your sheltered, easy as pie life might lead you to believe.

To call it cowardly is to miss the mark completely. To get to the point of pain or despair that the most powerful biological impulse, the will to fight to live, is overcome and death seems the only relief should speak more than adequately to the foolishness of your words.

zon

Why do I get the impression that his idea of going through shit is getting caught smoking weed by his parents.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Suicide is often an irrational impulse, so rational reasoning doesn't make it go away. Scolding doesn't help either. It's an overwhelming mental trial to cope with those urges alone, especially when they're already struggling with mental anguish and despair.

Suicide is a completely rational choice that usually takes more courage than most people who cry 'suicide is cowardice!' are capable of.

Go about it and be completely rational. If you have nothing of worth to you that you would hold on to and your only choice is to suffer indefinitely with the most unlikely future prospects, then it's probably just not worth it. Pull the switch, it's your life, and if it's not worth it to you, give it away.

Once again, by simple rational logic, the people who choose to live are a) better off, b) have better prospects, c) have less courage. There's no other explanation in my mind. No one who finds it worth living can judge those who choose to die.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Sad situation but the pressure from lying to the whole internet was something she could have avoided, especially with another "fund my life" scratch at crowdfunding. Pretending she was going to die from shrapnel was pretty despicable, and I guess it was inevitable she came to this low-point after that fallout.

I understand what you're trying to say, but you seriously need to educate yourself on mental illness in general. I'm trying to be nice here. It doesn't work like that.

There was a recent Hyperbole and a Half post on this subject. I'm on my phone at the moment; can someone link it?

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2013/05/depression-part-two.html

Jokab

Suicide is a completely rational choice that usually takes more courage than most people who cry 'suicide is cowardice!' are capable of.

Go about it and be completely rational. If you have nothing of worth to you that you would hold on to and your only choice is to suffer indefinitely with the most unlikely future prospects, then it's probably just not worth it. Pull the switch, it's your life, and if it's not worth it to you, give it away.

Once again, by simple rational logic, the people who choose to live are a) better off, b) have better prospects, c) have less courage. There's no other explanation in my mind. No one who finds it worth living can judge those who choose to die.

I can't believe you're arguing suicide is a courageous act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom