• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Thread 3: Indie Jones and the Template of Doom

Pehesse

Thanks guys really appreciate your comments.

Im not the programmer in the game but we are using unity, any idea about how to use some fancy shading and dithering and how would it looked if implemented to our game?

Oh man, and I was proud of my UI work lol
I can't really do pixel art, and im the one who works on all the UI and the game design. It was important to me that the UI was really poppy and 90's stylized, and to separate it from the theater of the game (the pixelart area), but still be on top without blending in (most games in pixelart tend to have all UI elements inside boxes or completley to the sides of the screen I thought a more traditional drawing style would work much better. If the style of UI I created was made in pixelart, it would start looking really blurry and everything blending too much. Our pixel artist is not really good making UI either so this is more like a teamwork of 3, where everyone brings what they do better, one is pixelart characters and scenarios, one is UI and the other is character designs for the portraits.
Ive showed it to a lot of people and they really liked how it worked with the game, said it was really poppy a readable, or liked how Persona inspired it looked (and thats was my intention lol), but hearing it from someone who I really appreciate art wise like you, still hurts a little becuase maybe the idea was not as good as I thought lol.
But thanks for the opinion :D

Oh, I'm sorry! That really wasn't my intention. I must've misspoke: I think the UI is just fine, I'm just not sure it meshes well with the pixel art underneath in terms of visual coherency - but even then, that may absolutely be a matter of preference, and if others tell you it works just fine, that just goes to show you can't please everyone and have to go with your gut sometime! And as far as referencing Persona, I'd say it's a job well done :-D

As an addendum: I wrote my first impressions from viewing the image on a big screen, but the contrast is much less visible on small screens (currently on tablet). That may be something to keep in mind!

Hi everyone,

Last talked about this at least 1 thread ago, but 2MD VR Football is finally on its way out the door. Since our announcement trailer, we went back and completely reworked the game's visuals to include multiple stadiums, individual teams and attractions, leaderboards, etc.
And no shortage of NeoGAF references.

We've given it, essentially, a fighting game structure with a 7 round heat, Versus/matchups (including rival teams) and a build in second screen / broadcast display. for my part, I did all the visuals, music, and audio.

I was curious if anyone had access to VIVE / Oculus (touch controller required), who might like to give the game a go? I'd like some impressions if possible, also want to see how it performs on different hardware configurations.

Wow, nice. Looks really cool! (And I'm saying that as someone with only a passing interest in football)

I've got a Vive, but I hook it up pretty infrequently (basically have to move stuff around to make room, and it's a bit of a hassle). I'd definitely give it a shot the next time I have it hooked up if you need feedback.

Tumle

Hi everyone,

Last talked about this at least 1 thread ago, but 2MD VR Football is finally on its way out the door. Since our announcement trailer, we went back and completely reworked the game's visuals to include multiple stadiums, individual teams and attractions, leaderboards, etc.

We've given it, essentially, a fighting game structure with a 7 round heat, Versus/matchups (including rival teams) and a build in second screen / broadcast display. for my part, I did all the visuals, music, and audio.

Uses 1:1 motion mapping for QB

Full customization of the team (colors, logo, music, playbook, stadium)

Bonus games, attractions, and some other lighthearted fun stuff.

I was curious if anyone had access to VIVE / Oculus (touch controller required), who might like to give the game a go? I'd like some impressions if possible, also want to see how it performs on different hardware configurations.
Looks really cool, great job!
I do have a vive.. but my knowledge of American football is very limited.. plus I'm not sure when I'd be able to get around to trying it out and I'm sure you have a shedual to uphold 😊
But I hope you get some great feedback, because from the gifs it looks fun and polished 😊

Blizzard

Banned
Haven't been as active in this thread lately, so II hope this isn't looked down as just self promotion, just really excited, got a game launching on Steam Wednesday.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/668210/Super_Fancy_Pants_Adventure/

Don't really see anyone discussing Flash / AIR as a viable platform for more animation-centric games nowadays, so maybe I can answer some questions about using it for a full Steam game.
You're the Borne guy? I was going to ask if you had a movie on Newgrounds like a decade ago, but from the Steam store description it looks like you probably did! Apparently your art style stuck in my head all this time, and the animation is indeed super kinetic and smooth flowing. Best wishes on the release.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Haven't been as active in this thread lately, so II hope this isn't looked down as just self promotion, just really excited, got a game launching on Steam Wednesday.

Don't really see anyone discussing Flash / AIR as a viable platform for more animation-centric games nowadays, so maybe I can answer some questions about using it for a full Steam game.

Looks nice. I didn't even know flash could make games. Does it support mobile?

DrNeroCF

The flow of the action looks incredible, seriously.

Thanks! That's definitely where the focus was. Problem with people playing a game 10 years ago is you have to make the new one play better than they remember playing it, not just better than it was, haha.

You're the Borne guy? I was going to ask if you had a movie on Newgrounds like a decade ago, but from the Steam store description it looks like you probably did! Apparently your art style stuck in my head all this time, and the animation is indeed super kinetic and smooth flowing. Best wishes on the release.

FPA was pretty big on Newgrounds. I haven't done many actual animations on there, I actually did stop motion before I started making games, strangely enough...

Looks nice. I didn't even know flash could make games. Does it support mobile?

Yep, takes a few things to get it desktop quality, mostly the Starling framework that runs everything on the GPU, though I have to cache everything at runtime. Keeps the file size low, though. Most importantly to me is being able to iterate animations very quickly. It's basically an animation program that can be driven by code.

I think AIR's mobile support is way better than its desktop support, actually, heh. Has an ahead of time compiler for iOS instead of the slower interpreter, so it's running native code on there, which is very un-Flash like.

PM me when you have it hooked up, I'll provide you with a steam key :)

I'll try and remember to do so! Thanks!

This looks really fluid. The animations are really smooth, and I dig the fast pace.

Good luck with the release!

missile

Thanks guys really appreciate your comments.

Im not the programmer in the game but we are using unity, any idea about how to use some fancy shading and dithering and how would it looked if implemented to our game?
I've put some images together; https://imgur.com/a/boGLR
You may also look at pinterest.com and search for dithering.

The problem with all the large flat single colored areas is that on a bigger
screen they will become uneasy for the eyes, because there is nothing in there
for the eyes to track along (to refresh some of the eye's cells) leaving you
somewhat blind on a perceptual level.

missile

Someone know a good yet portable mic for recording better than average voice
with an iPhone or something (Bluetooth perhaps)?

Oh, I'm sorry! That really wasn't my intention. I must've misspoke: I think the UI is just fine, I'm just not sure it meshes well with the pixel art underneath in terms of visual coherency - but even then, that may absolutely be a matter of preference, and if others tell you it works just fine, that just goes to show you can't please everyone and have to go with your gut sometime! And as far as referencing Persona, I'd say it's a job well done :-D

As an addendum: I wrote my first impressions from viewing the image on a big screen, but the contrast is much less visible on small screens (currently on tablet). That may be something to keep in mind!

Nah dont worry Pehesse, I know some poeple would not like the difference between drawn alements and pixelart. Even then I looked for games that do similar things and i found some, so thnkfully im not the only one hahaha (the 3ds fire emblem games do something similar, though they blend 3d, 2d hand drawn and pixelart).

About the contrast, you mean the colors of the pixelart are more subdue in a tablet?
We are probably not going to release it on phones and tablets, but is good to know if theres something wrong with the change of type of screens.

I've put some images together; https://imgur.com/a/boGLR
You may also look at pinterest.com and search for dithering.

The problem with all the large flat single colored areas is that on a bigger
screen they will become uneasy for the eyes, because there is nothing in there
for the eyes to track along (to refresh some of the eye's cells) leaving you
somewhat blind on a perceptual level.

Mmm, wouldnt that make the artsyle a little less cartoony?
I can talk with the pixel artist to see what he thinks about it, maybe some of the big one color walls like the one in the living room are a bit hard for the eyes in 1080.

Hi everyone,

kbbZf4.gif

HmbX9b.gif

cgYSQm.gif

This looks mighty impressive. Dont have any VR machine to tests it though :(

missile

... Mmm, wouldnt that make the artsyle a little less cartoony?
I can talk with the pixel artist to see what he thinks about it, maybe some of the big one color walls like the one in the living room are a bit hard for the eyes in 1080. ...
That's why it should be applied in a subtil fashion and not all over the place.
You could likewise put a carpet, photos, stripes etc. on a wall to cover the
huge flat areas to some degree.

That why it should be appled in a subtil fashion and not all over the place.
You could likewise put a carpet, photos, stripes etc. on a wall to cover the
huge flat areas to some degree.

i saw a technique in one of the screens you put in imgur, with a dithering layer using only 5% oppacity that seems super easy to use and doesnt look that back
Will maybe try to see if thats a good idea for our game.
Thanks again for you help!

Guys I need to make a little survey. (IMPORTANT, read the last paragraph)
Do you think our game already works with this pixelart 2D artstyle:

Or more akin to what square has shown in Project Octopath Traveler (3D scenery with pixelart texture, 2D pixelart characters, 3D battle effects):

In my opinion its really not needed in our game, apart of changing it right now being a huge rework and hassle timewise, but I still need an outside opinion.

The opinion will be very much appreciated, so thanks in adavance.

Your style is great - don't get distracted by other peoples' games! I know it can be tough, but just stick with it.

Hi everyone,

kbbZf4.gif

HmbX9b.gif

cgYSQm.gif

Send it my way! shawnalexanderallen@gmail.com Have vive/oculus setup at my job, and I'd love to check it out!

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
If anyone is making a game for iOS I just saw that Apple are overhauling the App Store to focus more on curated features rather than sales charts and they have a site now for devs to directly pitch for feature consideration @ appstore.com/promote

cbox

How did you find FanExpo? Were the booth costs reasonable? I was there on the Thursday and saw like zero indie games. I assumed that Fri-Sun was when everyone showed up?

Oh we didn't go, didn't think there was much of a presence there. Booth costs were reasonable for the CNE, they had an indie package that we helped ideate for a few months prior to the event.

If anyone is making a game for iOS I just saw that Apple are overhauling the App Store to focus more on curated features rather than sales charts and they have a site now for devs to directly pitch for feature consideration @ appstore.com/promote

Nice!

Minamu

I finally got around to making a new video of our game, tentatively "Holy Sheep", mostly menu stuff as that's where I've been focusing lately.

This is the old look from back in April:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLI_qQw1e-k

There are also some older pictures in this album, along with very old level layouts:
https://imgur.com/a/YRdFa

This is our new and almost final layout (I hope) of the menus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxqp3GgW4bc

The old menu is spinning as you can see in the first video. We got rid of this as it's pretty distracting when trying to navigate menus. I've also added a randomized weather system for the main menu, I think there's a 20-25% chance of getting a random weather from one of the main levels, such as rain or rolling fog. I'd like to bring in some more orange color, like in options, into the other panels, but I also want to make the characters and background more bleak in tone for mood.

Next up is probably reworking the entire menu system as to not have duplicate panels for different characters etc, and add specific post processing effects for each level. Then we're done!
:lol no way

orioto

Good Art™
Guys I need to make a little survey. (IMPORTANT, read the last paragraph)
Do you think our game already works with this pixelart 2D artstyle:

Or more akin to what square has shown in Project Octopath Traveler (3D scenery with pixelart texture, 2D pixelart characters, 3D battle effects):

In my opinion its really not needed in our game, apart of changing it right now being a huge rework and hassle timewise, but I still need an outside opinion.

The opinion will be very much appreciated, so thanks in adavance.

OMG don't let SE and their horrible ideas ruin your super pretty graphic style please. Pixel art doesn't have to be hidden with overdone shaders.. There is a great mother feel to your graphics.

Anyway still working on giving some retro swag to a simple concept

BallDstroyed.gif
BallRevive.gif

BeachAnimSea.gif

GoldBlockHi.gif
GoldBlockSpark01.gif

BlockRed.gif

BasicBlockHit02.gif

SSdemo.jpg

I'll post more soon hopfully, but the game is kinda Arkanoid/Windjammers with a touch of Mario Kart (item handling)

Blizzard

Banned
I think SE and the Octopath art style are nice and widely appreciated besides the bloom needing toned down.

Obviously it's not necessary to USE that art style, but I think it's nice that it exists.

orioto

Good Art™
I'm expecting a lot of Octopath inspired stuff to be on its way from the indie crowd

Yeah...
I mean i know lots of people find that amazing.. But when i look at the game on Switch and i see the wonderful 1:1 sprite in the left corner, then i see what it became in the actual game.. Come on..

Anyway what i really wanted to say was that SpacePirate Ridley's game looks super good :p

JulianImp

Got to say the N64 animation style of chopping meshes off into parts and parenting them to bones instead of skinning has been a huge boon for productivity, and the game's seen from far away enough that the flaws of such an animation method are barely visible anyway. Not using skinned mesh renderers also means we can use dynamic batching for all enemies and characters, which is a huge boon for performance on top of shadow rendering calculations supposedly becoming considerably cheaper on regular mesh renderers as well.

The best part is this means we could pretty well port the game to mobile without having to worry about the GPU becoming a bottleneck all that much, or we could even leverage that by having more of other GPU-intensive elements in the game, such as particles, fancy shaders or post-processing effects.

Does this look like a house cat? I've been tweaking the general shape and proportions of a couple of hours now and I am not sure if it looks like a house cat anymore...

RY4c.jpg

SY4c.jpg

EDIT: some quick fur for a better idea
YY4c.jpg

Well, first off, that neck is way too long for any Felinae species. Cats have very short necks in their natural posture.

As for the head - The shape of the ears are too long and doglike. A Cat's ears should be roughly shaped like a tilted Equilateral triangle and form a profile like |\_/| when viewed from the front and should be widest at their base on the outer-side lining up with their cheeks rather than narrowing inwards.

Following that, the Snout is too short. It needs to jut out a little bit more and be a bit more narrow around the mouth and nose. Of note, the bottom-half the jaw needs to jut-forward to be in line with the upper-jaw instead of hanging back like that.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm redoing how the "gel areas" look in the game, where you can break various blobs to reveal things underneath. Sometimes it's nothing, sometimes it's a gel zombie, sometimes it's even a power up.

(I accidentally made this gif move slightly in fast motion somehow)

hXCN5uy.gif

I spent more time setting up these effects and particles than I care to admit

Well, first off, that neck is way too long for any Felinae species. Cats have very short necks in their natural posture.

As for the head - The shape of the ears are too long and doglike. A Cat's ears should be roughly shaped like a tilted Equilateral triangle and form a profile like |\_/| when viewed from the front and should be widest at their base on the outer-side lining up with their cheeks rather than narrowing inwards.

Following that, the Snout is too short. It needs to jut out a little bit more and be a bit more narrow around the mouth and nose. Of note, the bottom-half the jaw needs to jut-forward to be in line with the upper-jaw instead of hanging back like that.

Well, I guess it depends on the reference images. I was using hairless cats to get the general shape pre-fur. Without fur, their ears are rather large.

sweater-sphynx-cat.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

But I think you are right about the neck and the snout; too long and too short. And the shape of the head looks a bit off.

I think the problem is that I am using hairless cats as a reference for the general shape. After looking at more pictures, they seem a lot leaner than most regular cats. With fur, the shape of the head is a lot more padded and puffy. It might just be the fur, but they generally seem to have a lot more fat on them.

Cat-Cat_Guide-A_ginger_and_white_cat_wearing_a_collar_and_tag.jpg

I think I need to figure out how I want to do the fur in engine before I know how to model the shape. If I do a simple texture or fur shader, then I need to model the shape to include the padding from fur. If I go Hairworks or some other hair simulation technique, then I think I need to model the shape without the padding (or maybe not?)

Anybody ever create a game animal with fur before?

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Just going to try and ask again, since it may have been overlooked because it was on the bottom of the last page :)

Anyone have any knowledge about opentoonz?
Can it be used for making 2D animated assets ?
Here is a link:
https://opentoonz.github.io/e/
Not in my wheelhouse, it seems like nobody here uses it. Maybe they have a forum you could ask on.

Does this look like a house cat? I've been tweaking the general shape and proportions of a couple of hours now and I am not sure if it looks like a house cat anymore...

EDIT: some quick fur for a better idea

Your cat looks like a cat to me!

Shifty

Indie GAF, I have a problem. I can't seem to stop making prototypes.

A few months ago, I decided to start building a beat 'em up in UE4. I put a bunch of work into it- implemented character systems, movesets, combos, hybrid client-server-rollback netcode, even programmed my own editor extension so I could build entire character movesets using visual graphs.

(Sprites shamelessly nicked from River City Ransom EX for testing purposes because I have no artistic talent.)
6ga3oyu.gif

I fell off of developing that after getting mired in finding solutions to problems that UE doesn't solve by default. A while later I got a Rift, I decided to play around with prototyping a Star Fox inspired VR rail shooter.

giphy.gif

And now I find myself prototyping this weird metroidvania tube shooter thing that popped into my head the other day, as ideas have a tendency to do.

Q6eQbou.gif

This has been an issue for quite a while now. Between trying to balance my also-UE4 day job, gaming as a hobby and these personal projects, I always seem to fall off and leave things unfinished.

So tell me. How do you all keep yourselves in check and make sure that you finish what you start?

oxrock

This has been an issue for quite a while now. Between trying to balance my also-UE4 day job, gaming as a hobby and these personal projects, I always seem to fall off and leave things unfinished.

So tell me. How do you all keep yourselves in check and make sure that you finish what you start?

It really just comes down to dedication I think. It's hard sticking to developing your game after it's no longer really fun and you're rather tired of looking at it. Most people get stuck in the same loop of starting a project, losing interest and embarking on another one. That's because it's far easier to do that than to grind it out and properly polish a game. The best advice I can give is to start making and finishing really small scoped games and gradually increasing their size as you complete them.

Hmmm, which will be the Job Trainer?

I sense it's a trick question! They all will be trainers. I'm assuming for the hunter, monk and warrior classes.

Well, it's been a while, hasn't it? The last several months have been a grand mess in terms of developing Trapped With Us. It's a long-ass story, though, and I'd rather not elaborate on it now.

But I've finally got something relatively steady going, and I've settled on using Unreal Engine 4. And I've made the most progress on making something actually playable in, well, ever. Still a long ways to go, but still.

Full video recording test on youtube.

5dfjIMj.gif

Basically, aside from the basic movement stuff and the pause menu, and all the stock visual assets, almost everything programming-wise is basically custom - the combat mechanics, the dialogue system, and the interaction mechanics, which are all in varying states of completion, but playable in some form.

My main problem is getting people on board and retaining them. The last two months have mostly been a revolving door of people coming on board only to either leave due to their own personal issues taking away their time or just outright dropping off the map entirely, which has been a big problem for actually getting custom assets. I've got two people on board, one who was supposed to be a programmer but is now basically on HR when he's available, and a modeller who really only has time to do character concept art on occasion.

Also, speaking of which, a few concept art pieces that are likely not gonna be used for various reasons, but are still a good first step for getting an idea of what the final game might look like, including someone some of you might remember from the last thread:

9JnSCV7.png

WTFvtEv.png

nKweo4X.png

And a couple of more current pieces my team's current artist sketched with new ideas for Keith's look:

bDopZlp.jpg

7GuimUq.jpg

So, yeah, I've been both rather unlucky, but also finally managed to get something steady going, if a bit slow. My main problem right now is finding a character modeller and animator who isn't just gonna disappear shortly after joining up, lol.

Pehesse

I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief, as I finally reached the end of the first animation marathon for the game - first of many, I'm afraid, but it's still a little over all of Honey's fighting anims combined in about half the time, so there's something to celebrate :-D

UnlinedPeacefulDikkops-size_restricted.gif

Next on the menu is to get all of that in the game proper to finally start taking back actual screenshots again, and then I'll most likely tackle backgrounds, though I hope this won't take another 8 months.

I'd say that's the difference between hobbying and working - making prototypes is fun because it's fast, building games is not because it takes time and perseverance to actually turn a quick prototype into something playable. That's kind of an oversimplification, but really, it's about dedication to a all aspects of a single project, including the parts that aren't appealing to work on. I find the best approach (at least for me) is to work through series of short-term objectives, balancing the "more fun" ones with the less enjoyable ones so you don't burn out, and manage your work/rest ethic (ie: it's better to work a little every day, than huge bursts then take huge breaks). But also, you really have to consider what you're going for: is it for fun, or is the objective to really make a complete, finished game?

Minamu

For me, it's a question of purpose; why am I doing this game? The answer is usually either to learn a craft such as programming, or to add a game to my portfolio. I need completed projects for the latter, there can't be half cooked prototypes in there so I better damn finish them :)

missile

I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief, as I finally reached the end of the first animation marathon for the game - first of many, I'm afraid, but it's still a little over all of Honey's fighting anims combined in about half the time, so there's something to celebrate :-D

UnlinedPeacefulDikkops-size_restricted.gif

Next on the menu is to get all of that in the game proper to finally start taking back actual screenshots again, and then I'll most likely tackle backgrounds, though I hope this won't take another 8 months. ...
Amazing. I really like the color palette. Just beautiful!

... I'd say that's the difference between hobbying and working ...
I will add that it may also make a difference whether one wants to make a
living out of it or not. For free and for the fun of it will one only take
you so far, in my mind.

... So tell me. How do you all keep yourselves in check and make sure that you finish what you start?
I face similar problem but within one and the same project. ;)
However, I consider everything as a whole with me building stuff in an
incremental fashion. That is to say, I iterate over the whole project again
and again while improving each and every component a bit or a bit more if I
have a good run. If I get bored I just switch to another component which
likewise needs to be updated with respect to all the other components.

oxrock

Hooray it's the weekend, I can finally take a break from all the nothing I've been getting done this week! ;p

I've been sick most of this week which has really cut into my productive time. I wasn't able to get done as much as I'd planned to but I still managed to create my game's equipment upgrade system at least. After completing my weekly update checklist (#screenshotsaturdaypost, devlog update, gaf update) I look forward to having a day or two off to get some extra rest. Anyhow, take a look:

lg86Cgn.gif

I know, I know, UI stuff isn't exactly exciting but there's not much I can do about it. I had to create new UI elements and their functionality for this all to happen and they're the only way to actually see the stat changes take place. Other than printing out array elements I suppose but that'd be even more dull. I'm mostly just happy that it's all functional and bug free as far as I can tell. I can now move onto something more entertaining.

edit: Just noticed it's not QUITE as bugfree as I thought. The stats display didn't update to the proper numbers until after applying the upgrade for the first item. This only happens right loading the game, if I had waited 5 more seconds it would have worked fine like it did for the second item. This is just a text hiccup though, the numbers behind the scenes are still being tracked properly. I should be able to squash the bug soon I'd think, it doesn't seem too major.

ozfunghi

RY4c.jpg

The ears are too long and too thick. Cats' ears are really thin/flimsy. Maybe as thick as 5 sheets of paper. Also the neck is too long i think.

Think I got the profile down and it looks good. I fattened him up a bit and made the snout longer and neck shorter. Thanks for the suggestions!

mf5c.jpg

nf5c.jpg

Face still looks off though. From the side it looks good, but from the front it looks more like a dog now. Think the ears are still too big? Maybe it is just the fur on the face that makes it look weird?

of5c.jpg

pf5c.jpg

(looks at own cats)
I'd say the most jarring thing is that a cat's nose goes from wide (between the eyes) to thin (small nose tip), while your model is the opposite.

Main reason I love UE4:

It's so easy to get a super quick prototype up and running.

Had a idea for a old school style RPG and wondered if I could effectively do the overworld to battle system transfer in UE4 (it is a resource heavy engine after all) and boom, 4 hours later...

Top Bottom