• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Thread 3: Indie Jones and the Template of Doom

LordRaptor

just a question - is this held completely online? its not a locally held game jam right?

Yeah, its all online, its a global game jam (but not the Global Game Jam).
The actual competition part of it is primarily people working solo on their own thing completely by themself, so it doesnt make sense to have some sort of IRL meetup to do that

Sorne

Ludum Dare this weekend anyone?

Yes! Haven't been to a LDJam since LD37, so excited to try again.

just a question - is this held completely online? its not a locally held game jam right?

Yes, completely online. You can still do it as a group though, and I think there might even be some areas in the world where they try and get people together. But I think most are just doing it from home.

LordRaptor

End of day one... theme is "Your life is currency" (and fucking sucks)
trToWe9.jpg

Sorne

Yes! I'm struggling with the theme as well. I feel like I might just throw it on, in the very last minute. If I ever make it in time though.

MujkicHaris

This month I will finally start and block out at least two cutscenes. Continuing the 3D blocking of locations and robots. When it comes to programming and concept art, UI is the new focus.
Like always, making this game fluid on PS Vita in every aspect is my starting point.

tumblr_pqtr0f4dnc1toxxk6o1_400.jpg

TRIAD-2
Concept art

MujkicHaris

Implemented an Animation Track in Tectum Editor. Great for small, subtle loop-able animations that can be reused in complex cutscenes. Works for gameplay animations (characters) too. Couple of bugs (previewing the track in Cutscene Tool) left to fix but it's there.

tumblr_prsh8nhAXK1toxxk6o1_1280.png

Last edited:

MujkicHaris

In June I am planning to spend most of the time on 3D modeling. When it comes to programming & cutscenes, these days it's the same task, blocking out the animation and then optimizing the code if needed.
Also, thinking about the trophies for PS Vita and how to structure them.

tumblr_psfrl0x7IE1toxxk6o1_1280.jpg

Lejla
Concept art

for mobiles

for win32, not for sale but just as a proof of concept a wolfenstein clone that runs with ascii characters; not very complex but easy to mod as it comes with a very easy to use editor, and graphics are simple win32 bmps (behaviors are edited with notepad)

editor

Be prepared for some programmer art, but my rpg has changed a fair amount since my last post.

It's now set in a 3D map instead of a 2D one. This was primarily changed to speed up development. I have a lot more experience in 3D and I hit a lot of dead ends with the 2D version.

This is the map running on the default lod setting. Everything is procedurally generated so data streaming cannot be used. Higher quality assets will be generated as the camera moves so that local areas can be crisp, but this is not setup yet.

The end goal is essentially Civilization * Game of Thrones.

It's fun having stuff to show for screenshot Saturday again.

Since I switched to a 3D map, I needed a barrier to keep players from going out of bounds. Instead of using an invisible wall, I turned it into a feature. 99% of the time it will feel like a normal world but it makes things a lot cooler when zooming out/looking around in VR.

MujkicHaris

In July the plan is to start programming the logic and events for the "regular gameplay". Continuing the modeling & cutscene blockout phase.
ALT BOSNIA will have loading screens but I will do my best to optimize them, especially on PS Vita.

tumblr_ptz9wkLoPS1toxxk6o1_1280.jpg

Dijana
Concept art

Last edited:

wondermega

arrgggh. I feel a little dumb for not posting in here for a very very long time. Especially since E3 was just weeks ago and it tends to bring people out of the wood work - would have been nice to organize a little meetup! On that note, if there are any LA-area devs who would be interested in a little in-person meetup for a bit of talking shop and demoing/etc, I would love to see what you are up to (and show off my own WIP as well). Testing and criticism is always welcome, and useful.. Anyway if interested, just respond to this post or DM me or whatever.

I've been building an AR game on and off over the past couple of years, trying to zero in on wrapping up things and getting to the point of polishing it. It's realistically still got some months to go, but I've been making very steady progress. Thematically, the game is very reminiscent of ancient space-shooty games like Zaxxon but with a bunch of very modern tech under the hood (well, it is AR!) I have some extremely old videos of it on Youtube but would prefer to put up something more recent before showing it off in here, maybe I'll get to that soon-

Hi folks,

I'm helping make a retro-inspired, pixel-art infused 2D fishing game. Specifically, a game about fly fishing.

Title: River Legends: A Fly Fishing Adventure

Trailer:

Features: Singe-player, 2D fishing simulation with a focus on realism. Learn to fly fish while traversing the virtual Pine Canyon. Features real-time fly casting controls, challenging water currents, multiple freshwater species, and dynamic weather effects.
Gameplay GIF:
mpSP8cr.gif

Steam:
Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Company.RiverLegends

If you enjoyed old school fishing games, you will be right at home with River Legends. We have an upcoming release in about 1 month, wishlist us today. Thanks!

MujkicHaris

In September I am focusing on the environment modeling, especially on the mission locations and some interiors. When it comes to programming the plan is to work on AI and mission gameplay in general.

tumblr_px7kyyAp0B1toxxk6o1_1280.jpg

Malik
Concept art

MujkicHaris

In October my main focus is on robot modeling and texturing. When it comes to programming I am planning to polish some of the movement + collision code for the player controlled entities. Also, there is some UI design/programming work to be done.

tumblr_pypnofBmqr1toxxk6o1_1280.jpg

INTEGER F-6
Concept art

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Ludum Dare 45 starts in 20 minutes. It's been a while since I've participated but I'll be giving it another go this time. Anyone else plan on taking part in the jam?

just testing the mechanics; that means no pretty pictures yet (open to comments), also some more obstacles planed but not implemented. Intended as a bonus level between main levels, the idea is that if the player survives for 90 seconds the player gets an extra life (another ship) for the main levels

LordRaptor

just testing the mechanics; that means no pretty pictures yet (open to comments), also some more obstacles planed but not implemented. Intended as a bonus level between main levels, the idea is that if the player survives for 90 seconds the player gets an extra life (another ship) for the main levels

I think there's a lot of benefit to using non-final assets to get a feel for how somethings going to work outside of just developer art, and giving you advance warning on problems you may run into when finally plugging in 'real' assets (like order in layer, rotation, visibility when non uniform colour backgrounds are involved, etc) so if its just a question of not having any assets to hand, I'd suggest maybe throwing in some of Kenneys sprites and seeing how that feels...?

They're CC-0 (a.k.a public domain) so you're good to use them however you want, up to and including final release, and even accidentially including them in a final build won't cause any trouble

Last edited:
I think there's a lot of benefit to using non-final assets to get a feel for how somethings going to work outside of just developer art, and giving you advance warning on problems you may run into when finally plugging in 'real' assets (like order in layer, rotation, visibility when non uniform colour backgrounds are involved, etc) so if its just a question of not having any assets to hand, I'd suggest maybe throwing in some of Kenneys sprites and seeing how that feels...?

hi, tnx for your comment; not really care for art right now; rather I want to get an idea how do I feel while playing what is already there, including difficulty, size and frequency of elements, types of elements (they are already in my head) all that stuff. Getting into detail right now just slows things down

MujkicHaris

In November I am mostly doing concept art and modeling for characters. Modeling interiors and robots. When it comes to programming I will be doing some research on scene optimization for PS Vita + gameplay programming.

a99b1b8e212b624086c0e26a986b7618d32e82f7.jpg

still 'developer art', though added the rest of enemy objects (some missing in video, but those are already implemented and have basically the same behavior as some that appear there but with different appearance). Also missing in video finish line and game over; the end of the level is not by time as in previous post but by distance, though there is a time bonus. The real 'proximity mines' don't have circles around them; those are just for test purposes

same shooter, but this time testing perspective view ('Space Harrier', or Sega Super Scaler). The perspective view and the top down view are supposed to alternate between bonus levels

the 'art' used here is the same as in 2d, so when destroying something, instead of a hole in the ground there appears a block that covers what's behind; still the idea was not to show 'pretty' but a proof of concept and test the mechanics. Some things I see is that there is an issue with collisions; here as with any other thing made with sprites in perspective (again, Space Harrier), are a flat drawing in a 3D space. The things have no depth, but in the game internals it compares with the object depth. One way to give depth to objects on the screen would be to use polygons, but if I wanted to use polygons I would have done it differently from the beginning; what I am considering as a possibility is to slice objects as it was done in later Super Scaler games to represent depth (Rad Mobil, Outrunners), and place the slices at different depths. Not ideal though

MujkicHaris

In December I am still focused on character modeling and concept art. Experimenting a bit with environment textures, the task is to bring painterly style from the concept art. When it comes to programming I will be doing combat gameplay programming + UI.

13f1b6e9d395b90605ced410b75658e0aa1a3526.jpg

Concept art

to recap, the idea was to use a 3d effect as in old arcades (Supersacaler), but there was a problem with volumes, since the objects are represented as a flat sprite in a 3d world. The thing is that this removes the depth of the objects, and when comparing collisions I have to either take away the depth of the objects or show their depth somehow. I decided to 'slice objects'; it looks unusual but at least when colliding with something it does not look as if the object was far away and leaves the player with a 'what did just happen' sensation

so far I feel comfortable with the speed and game pacing and gameplay, so besides of a missing element and some tweaks, I expect the final version to be close to this. Of course that is only for the mechanics, not the art (open to comments about expected final art, not the current art that is just a placeholder). I am really fond of 16 bit games and arcade cabinets before polygons, and I really like the art of things like Metal Slug, so I plan to look at those for inspiration (not to copy those, since those have already been made)

Domisto

VooDooChicken VooDooChicken No idea what to suggest for graphics, go with your gut, but I like what you've done so far. Reminds me of the inverted levels on Nanotek Warrior, those kind of tube shooters.

VooDooChicken VooDooChicken No idea what to suggest for graphics, go with your gut, but I like what you've done so far. Reminds me of the inverted levels on Nanotek Warrior, those kind of tube shooters.
hi, tnx for your comment; that was very flattering. I was not aware of that game so I had to check it out; the name and gameplay made me thought it was related to an early 3DS game called Nano Assault, with very impressive graphics even for today, but it turns out they are not related

neko.works

How many episodes will there be in total? Will they be sold in one game?

I'm planning 4 episodes overall, each is a standalone sold separatly but you can import your final save from the previous episode, although optional.

Episode 1 is already available on PS4, Xbox One and Steam. I'm currently working on Episode 2 which should release in mid-2020.

The backgrounds look amazing. I wonder if you have an engaged audience following the development?

Thanks! I have around 1700 followers on Twitter and the core of my fans supports me on Patreon.

Last edited:
neko.works neko.works I hope you don't mind me asking more questions. I love learning about indie game development. So did the sales of Episode 1 meet your expectations? And are you working on this game full-time or on the side of a job?

neko.works

I hope you don't mind me asking more questions. I love learning about indie game development. So did the sales of Episode 1 meet your expectations? And are you working on this game full-time or on the side of a job?

I got my invested budget back, but the net revenues are quite low as of now. I still think I'll reach my goal financially but it will probably take a few years and the release of more episodes.

I'm working fulltime, though I also work on other projects such as Super Night Riders S2 and Dark Fairtytale.

testing final art (part of)

Still dummy backgrounds, dummy explosions (if at all, there are some things that explode but don't even have dummy explosions), dummy player spaceship (or plane actually), and placeholder for the 'destroyed' state of some things.

Again, this is for the bonus levels which alternate between sprite scaling perspective and top down view, In the desert levels there is no proximity mines which appear in the jungle levels that follow; in the jungle levels there is no ramming but those are both in the video since this is a test.
The plan is to totally finish bonus levels with final art but no sound yet, and move on to the main levels; the idea for now is that main levels are kinda like 'Atari Combat' (1 on 1 fight) but against CPU (since Atari Combat does not have CPU player ). Still some things that don't convince me yet, so I still have till I finish art in bonus levels and probably one more week till I sort things out for main levels before I start making those.

Again, the idea with bonus levels is that if the player reaches the end of the level he or she gets another plane (one life), but since there is no point in getting extra lives in the last bonus, in the final bonus level the player gets to spend all his lives shooting and scoring as many things as he can

neko.works neko.works just discovered your games while perusing the thread. They look awesome! I'll check em out sometime on Steam. Do you mind me asking you a few questions? First, what engine are you using to create your games? Second, are you planning on releasing your games on the Switch? That would be incredible :3! .Anyway, hope you find success with your games. Keep on keeping on!

neko.works

Hey guys 🐱

I've been working on the 1st dungeon in Episode 2 of my turn-based Japanese-style RPG series Light Fairytale, which is now fully playable. Here's a couple GIFs.

xZMdDce.gif
uTeYlpg.gif

On a side note, I've started learning Unity working on this JRPG series in March 2014... which was 6 years ago!

Since, I've released Episode 1 on 3 major platforms, and I'm close to release Episode 2! I've also developed and released the arcade racer Super Night Riders.

Here's a look on the 2014 prototype of Light Fairytale running on the PlayStation Vita, and the same scene now on PC!

ESyBnjBUUAACgit
ESyBowWUYAAzyTo

More information about my works on neko.works!

Last edited:
finished 3d (sprite scaling) bonus levels, everything except backgrounds (decoration), sound and the player's ship. I used to compare it to Space Harrier but gameplay is closer to GI Joe arcade, or maybe Thunder Blade. Jerkiness is from capture, not from the game

there is also this video from a few days ago, there are some missing elements in last level but it seems less jerky, or at least less fuzzy

MujkicHaris

In April 2020 I am focusing more on improving AI and doing more programming on weapons and its related systems in the game. I also plan to experiment with SFX.
Continuing modeling, texture painting and cutscene animation.

b13455b7fcf3e21520f90dc38e0371a011cc40d8.jpg

Top Bottom