• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2015 [May] Now Voting - Post 348!

titch

Yeah looks right!!!

Almost, please dont use any other words for the link other than the link itself ;)
So "www.etcpp.de/link" instead of "Steam link". ..............................

:)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thanks guys.

Also, edited. Is it ok now?

Almost, please dont use any other words for the link other than the link itself ;)
So "www.etcpp.de/link" instead of "Steam link".

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Eek sorry Toma

No worries, all is fine :p No need to use a bajillion "!!!" or "......" either, haha.

I doubt anybody will die over being misinformed a tad in this thread. Though I did remember that one person who was incredibly agitated about the thread not having complete information about platforms. That was ... weird.

titch

I know i've only been here a few month now but my favourite has to be after reading back the old threads where people complain about a game not being mentioned, em read the op and help out.

Toma

I know i've only been here a few month now but my favourite has to be after reading back the old threads where people complain about a game not being mentioned, em read the op and help out.

Some people really have a crazy good memory for these game names.

Hope it's not too late to add stuff for June

Maquisard - Free (PC, Mac)
fxWZzp.gif

http://maquisard.itch.io/maquisard

Maquisard is a charming game of snooping and investigation. As the lobby boy at a fancy hotel, the player will receive clues from the resistance to the identity of a government agent and will try to figure out their identity by snooping on the guests over the course of three days. Players must listen in on conversations, peek into rooms, and observe the guests' habits in order to figure out which guests has all the traits of their target. It is a single-player puzzle game that will have an unique non-linear investigation gameplay and draw on the aesthetics of Wes Anderson's film The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Induction - 2016 (PC, Mac, Linux)
0SOWjay.gif

http://www.inductiongame.com/

Induction is an abstract puzzle game about time travel and paradoxes.
You are given the ability to jump through time, and are tasked with exploiting its counter-intuitive consequences. You must learn to choreograph your actions across multiple timelines, and to create strange loops of cause and effect, where the future depends on the past and the past depends on the future

Toma

I wanted to throw up the new thread tonight, but I was working until 10 minutes ago (11pm) and I am not all that enthusiastic about spending another 1-2 hours of preparing the new thread :p Maybe later, we'll see. Otherwise tomorrow.

epmode

If anyone else was following Limit Theory and was concerned that the developer fell off the face of the earth, he finally posted on the official forum:

http://forums.ltheory.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4492

Sounds like he was overworked and stressed out to the point of requiring medical attention. He's working on the game again, although slower than before.

Limit Theory's update videos are among the best I've seen for any project, let alone a one-man game, and I've come to really admire the guy. I'm glad he's still around.

Moobabe

If anyone else was following Limit Theory and was concerned that the developer fell off the face of the earth, he finally posted on the official forum:

http://forums.ltheory.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4492

Sounds like he was overworked and stressed out to the point of requiring medical attention. He's working on the game again, although slower than before.

Limit Theory's update videos are among the best I've seen for any project, let alone a one-man game, and I've come to really admire the guy. I'm glad he's still around.

That's great news - those videos were super interesting to watch and the game looked amazing in the most recent update.

Toma

In case someone missed it: Steam is now offering refunds if you played a game less than 2 hours and want to refund it within 14 days of the purchase.

Technically, its a great thing that Valve is trying to improve things for customer rights, however I very heavily recommend reading this Kotaku bit, which shows why things arent all that peachy, especially for Indie Games:
http://steamed.kotaku.com/steam-refunds-could-cause-some-big-problems-1708523970

(though it likely will lead to less shovelware on Steam and in general, which is of course a positive side effect)

titch

Volvo gonna be Volvo.

Unfortunately consumers in a lot of the cases are worse.

Another fiasco waiting to happen and seriously why implement this just before the summer sale - mental decision!!!

Moobabe

In case someone missed it: Steam is now offering refunds if you played a game less than 2 hours and want to refund it within 14 days of the purchase.

Technically, its a great thing that Valve is trying to improve things for customer rights, however I very heavily recommend reading this Kotaku bit, which shows why things arent all that peachy, especially for Indie Games:
http://steamed.kotaku.com/steam-refunds-could-cause-some-big-problems-1708523970

(though it likely will lead to less shovelware on Steam and in general, which is of course a positive side effect)

We'll see how this goes; very little that Valve have been doing recently has impressed me (from the out of the blue mod changes, to their abandonment of TF2, meta game changes to DOTA 2) but I wouldn't be surprised if there are some serious teething problems with this latest idea of theirs.

On a lighter note - Guild of Dungeoneering is now live to pre-order on GoG. Has anyone checked out any pre-release versions of it? It looks super.

B-day today, so I probably won't be that active here. June thread's still going up later?

But anyway, pretty exciting stuff in the works. Going to be writing for Pocket Gamer soon and I'd doing some consulting work for a small publisher/marketing company (people who published The Sun & Moon, Three Fourths Home, and Paranautical Activity on Steam).

Dascu

Taking a wait and see approach, but I see no way in which this will not lead to increased dependency on massive discounts and bundles for indie games. Consumers will have little to no reason to not ask for a refund on a singleplayer game, even if they did enjoy it. They can just rebuy it later during a sale.

Personally, I think a compromise could be that devs can set their own max playtime or maybe opt out of this entirely. If consumers don't like it, they can take it up with the dev and have the market kind of work this out. And though I understand some reasoning for secrecy, I'm kind of pissed I never saw any message from Valve. Indie devs are at Valve's mercy the moment they sign the Steam distribution contract. We have no bargaining power.

Edit: Happy birthday, MB!

titch

B-day today, so I probably won't be that active here. June thread's still going up later?

But anyway, pretty exciting stuff in the works. Going to be writing for Pocket Gamer soon and I'd doing some consulting work for a small publisher/marketing company (people who published The Sun & Moon, Three Fourths Home, and Paranautical Activity on Steam).

HBDY Baddy hope you have a good one!!!

EDIT Congrats on the work - mind drop some links so we can have a read!!!

Toma

Taking a wait and see approach, but I see no way in which this will not lead to increased dependency on massive discounts and bundles for indie games. Consumers will have little to no reason to not ask for a refund on a singleplayer game, even if they did enjoy it. They can just rebuy it later during a sale.

Personally, I think a compromise could be that devs can set their own max playtime or maybe opt out of this entirely. If consumers don't like it, they can take it up with the dev and have the market kind of work this out. And though I understand some reasoning for secrecy, I'm kind of pissed I never saw any message from Valve. Indie devs are at Valve's mercy the moment they sign the Steam distribution contract. We have no bargaining power.

Edit: Happy birthday, MB!

Yeah, I agree. I was contemplating voicing those concerns in the announcement thread for it, but so many people were all on the "Valve, our saviour!"-train that I didnt even bother. I really like your idea of opting in/out of this though. Especially Early Access Sandbox games would still have the incentive of opting in to allow players to gain a small glimpse, while shitty games would still be apparent within a short play time.

And yes, the thread will be up later today. Happy birthday, mate :)

Moobabe

Mad jelly! Congratulations man! How did you manege that? Did you approach them or did they come to you?

PM me if you'd rather not discuss it out here.

Also there is a GoG summer sale on.

On the GOG sale, Spacechem is a dollar. Their is not a word in the English language to accurately describe just how much I recommend that game at that price point. All I can say is 'a lot.'

Mad jelly! Congratulations man! How did you manege that? Did you approach them or did they come to you?

PM me if you'd rather not discuss it out here.

Also there is a GoG summer sale on.
Actually we kind of just started chatting over email after I had made the thread for the Slain Kickstarter; he was doing the marketing and exposure for that. And it just advanced from there

On the GOG sale, Spacechem is a dollar. Their is not a word in the English language to accurately describe just how much I recommend that game at that price point. All I can say is 'a lot.'
Considering finally getting Pathologic, but a lot of the reviews stated the game was extremely buggy, so I'm kind of wary

Toma

After searching the internet for a while, I found that apparently the most powerful and persuasive words in the English language are:

1. You
2. Results
3. Health
4. Guarantee
5. Discover
6. Love
7. Proven
8. Safety
9. Save
10. New

That means, I chime in with my recommendation as follows.

As PROVEN by so many other recommendation, the LOVE for this game is almost unparalled. So who should be the one to DISCOVER this gem of a game? Right, YOU. Show some RESULTS today, buy the game and we GUARANTEE you'll be having a NEW experience to SAVE you from Videogame monotony.

SAFETY warning: This game can be seriously addictive, so make sure to take bathroom, food and sleeping breaks and generally take care of your HEALTH.

Toma

Actually we kind of just started chatting over email after I had made the thread for the Slain Kickstarter; he was doing the marketing and exposure for that. And it just advanced from there

Considering finally getting Pathologic, but a lot of the reviews stated the game was extremely buggy, so I'm kind of wary

Just wait for the remaster, I really dont think the original Pathologic is fun to play these days.

Moobabe

Just wait for the remaster, I really dont think the original Pathologic is fun to play these days.

Pathalogic is an amazing game. In theory. But it's extremely unintuitive these days and not a lot of fun.

I agree with Toma on this one.

That's awesome man!

Toma

\o/ that's our game!

We've sent out some preview builds so some folks should start talking about what they see in the next few weeks, I think.

We also have a really nice new trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOuulPw7Iro

I remember playing an early version of it, Alpha I suppose. I really liked the idea behind the concept, but tbh the actual content was very repetetive, gameplay too simple and the maps just not fun to explore. I suppose you put in quite a bit more work since then, but my first impressions werent overly positive :-x

Hope you got the kinks worked out, though.

Toma

Also that Dungeoneering style made me start up Card Hunter again.

-_-

Byebye rest of the night.

Toma

I just had Toma-Bot analyze this thread and was shocked to see only 2 games for the released section and 163 for the future section.

...turns out I accidentally analyzed Baddies Freeware thread, haha. That shocked me for a second.

Top Bottom