• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2016 [January] New Year, New Games, New Discussions

managore

So any IndieGAF thoughts on The Witness?

Personally, I'm loving it. There's something really compelling about its dense open world, there's always something interesting to see over the next hill. The puzzles are simple in execution but layered with complexities. It's less like solving puzzles and more like learning some odd language. A language that once you can translate, allows you to activate machines and unlock doors and so on. And of course the game is absolutely gorgeous.

Yeah, great game. I think it plays better on mobile. The connection between steps and physically tapping makes the cautious movement and stomps that much more tense.

I was fairly skeptical before I started playing, but the game is incredible. The full open world is ridiculously satisfying to explore, and the landscapes are just beautiful. I've played it for 12 hours and have unfortunately solved nearly two thirds of the puzzles, but I know that the hardest parts are yet to come.

Overall I recommend it, even given its price. It's worth it.

I was fairly skeptical before I started playing, but the game is incredible. The full open world is ridiculously satisfying to explore, and the landscapes are just beautiful. I've played it for 12 hours and have unfortunately solved nearly two thirds of the puzzles, but I know that the hardest parts are yet to come.

Overall I recommend it, even given its price. It's worth it.
I think it has the best moments of "Oh...wait a second...this might work...OMG it worked!!!" that I've experienced since SpaceChem

Wok

I think it has the best moments of "Oh...wait a second...this might work...OMG it worked!!!" that I've experienced since SpaceChem

It is also the main problem with the game for me: when something works, you don't know whether it is for the reason you think, you either have to make the puzzle fail by trying some other way, or wait for the next puzzle to figure out the true rule.

It is also the main problem with the game for me: when something works, you don't know whether it is for the reason you think, you either have to make the puzzle fail by trying some other way, or wait for the next puzzle to figure out the true rule.
Usually if I'm stuck on something and then get a correct solution, I'll redo that puzzle a few times to see if I grasp the rule set. Most recent area that's really kicking my butt is the Swamp and its
Tetris
puzzles

Wok

Usually if I'm stuck on something and then get a correct solution, I'll redo that puzzle a few times to see if I grasp the rule set. Most recent area that's really kicking my butt is the Swamp and its
Tetris
puzzles

What is the swamp? Is it the place high in the trees?

I just don't know how that atmosphere carries over to mobile gaming.
--
I'm also playing Apotheon and I'm on the
Hades
part. Really liking how they blend mythological elements together with their own touches. I'm specifically in the
crossing the four rivers
part and like how each one presents a different kind of challenge. Recommend that one as well
Love the variety in Apotheon. The Athena labyrinth puzzle was amazing.

New Daniel Linssen game:

Outline - $3 (PC)
IQGqOBZ.gif

http://managore.itch.io/outline

From the creator of games about getting lost in the dark and dying alone in the desert comes a brand new adventure in amazing one-bit colour
50 levels from introductory to masochistic!

Wan Yama - Free (PC)
SX6CEO.png

http://jehal.itch.io/wan-yama

Wan Yama is a prototype for testing an idea of a lightweight turn-based strategy game.
As a newly hired operator for Geno Corp, your job is to operate creatures in an artificial environment to gather important research data.
You must hunt, fight, eat and drink in order to grow strong enough to reach the top of the food chain.

managore

What is the swamp? Is it the place high in the trees?

I think he's referring to the colourful water area. It's interesting talking about areas in a game when none of them have any set names.

New Daniel Linssen game:

Outline - $3 (PC)

Here are some download keys if anyone feels like a difficult platformer!

http://managore.itch.io/outline/download/5bJ20c59w5N7c7sg9223U0S66C02P7HeO5y0162q

http://managore.itch.io/outline/download/VaJH2ZIb02sRw2pOh6523J7V10AstscSQqtk3uN1

http://managore.itch.io/outline/download/zD2D01J1hpQ6t0V7WwaWA4eyt7wf5676839TAGsA

titch

Here are some download keys if anyone feels like a difficult platformer!

Took the third one - really appreciated - would still love to see more of your games on steam either individually or as a part of collection.

Love the art style and can see how it will get v.difficult for us mortals.

Would recommend everyone to give it a go!!!!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ah month is already over.

Also, Witness is fantastic for the reasons a million others already stated, so I am going to be the odd one out and talk about something else after my first 10 or so hours with it:

I think Witness almost came too late to its own party. In many parts of the design, one might notice that it has been started to develop like... 5-6 years ago. Indie Games are usually on the brink of new and original ideas, so if you have an idea and take 5-6 years of developing it... chances are your games might not be quite as original anymore.
Now Witness is still masterfully crafted and with its production value more or less its own beast entirely and can hardly be compared directly to other games (maybe like structure of Myst, but more traditional puzzles + environmental puzzles), but it hasnt really blown me away with anything yet. There is stuff that is obviously meant to be surprising or an "interesting" take on the mechanics (not going into more detail, due to spoilers), but I havent seen anything yet that I havent done in another game in some way or form. I was never left in wonder about the imagination and originality of the overall design. Some of the puzzles are clever, but even those are mostly retreads of concepts I already knew from other games or riddles. I guess part of the reason is that he still tried to stay within the bounds of sort of doable logic instead of going all out FEZ style. Maybe I will still have that later on in the game, but so far, I am just happy riddling along without anything particular "OMG AWESOME".

I love the game and I hope its popularity gives us more daring Indie endeavors.
Just for the record, this text was heavy nitpicking as I do love the game, but that thought struck me a few times playing yesterday after I encountered like 3 different mechanics that I felt I knew already.

Wok

I think he's referring to the colourful water area. It's interesting talking about areas in a game when none of them have any set names.

Got it now that I have seen the colored water again! I have been there just now and managed to finish it in a 2-hour sitting.

I actually went there once
with the boat
and could not do anything.

Tetris
puzzles

Finished it in one setting. Once the first puzzle clicked, I could not be stopped till
the laser

Wok

Ah month is already over.

Also, Witness is fantastic for the reasons a million others already stated, so I am going to be the odd one out and talk about something else after my first 10 or so hours with it:

I think Witness almost came too late to its own party. In many parts of the design, one might notice that it has been started to develop like... 5-6 years ago. Indie Games are usually on the brink of new and original ideas, so if you have an idea and take 5-6 years of developing it... chances are your games might not be quite as original anymore.
Now Witness is still masterfully crafted and with its production value more or less its own beast entirely and can hardly be compared directly to other games (maybe like structure of Myst, but more traditional puzzles + environmental puzzles), but it hasnt really blown me away with anything yet. There is stuff that is obviously meant to be surprising or an "interesting" take on the mechanics (not going into more detail, due to spoilers), but I havent seen anything yet that I havent done in another game in some way or form. I was never left in wonder about the imagination and originality of the overall design. Some of the puzzles are clever, but even those are mostly retreads of concepts I already knew from other games or riddles. I guess part of the reason is that he still tried to stay within the bounds of sort of doable logic instead of going all out FEZ style. Maybe I will still have that later on in the game, but so far, I am just happy riddling along without anything particular "OMG AWESOME".

I love the game and I hope its popularity gives us more daring Indie endeavors.
Just for the record, this text was heavy nitpicking as I do love the game, but that thought struck me a few times playing yesterday after I encountered like 3 different mechanics that I felt I knew already.

There are
audio tapes (actually USB keys)
everywhere in the game, I have
listened
to 5 or so, plus
watched a BBC documentary
, and it is pretty clear that Blow did not intend to suprise the player with the mechanics of the puzzles in themselves, but with
the non-verbal transmission of knowledge, power of teaching a language through examples
. If someone comes behind you and watches you play, he/she won't get it, won't be
speaking the same language that Blow taught you
throughout the game. This is the main feat of the game.

Know that I think about it, Blow is teaching through logic with this game. If that makes sense. This is the common ground which allows transmission. Maybe I am biased because I have played
Talos Principle
last weekend.

Edit: sorry for double post.

There are
audio tapes (actually USB keys)
everywhere in the game, I have
listened
to 5 or so, plus
watched a BBC documentary
, and it is pretty clear that Blow did not intend to suprise the player with the mechanics of the puzzles in themselves, but with
the non-verbal transmission of knowledge, power of teaching a language through examples
. If someone comes behind you and watches you play, he/she won't get it, won't be
speaking the same language that Blow taught you
throughout the game. This is the main feat of the game.

Edit: sorry for double post.
Pretty much. The innovation doesn't come from the mechanics themselves, but how the mechanics are taught. It's less likes solving puzzles and more learning how to translate the panels. It's like deciphering hieroglyphics.

Balthuk

Does anyone have an opinion to share on :

Celestian Tales: Old North
Chroma Squad
12 is Better Than 6

Watched a video that suggested they are ,amongst others, worth a shot.

Chroma Squad
12 is Better Than 6

I'd be wary of 12 Is Better Than 6. Had a Kickstarter In October, with an estimated release date of March 2016. The game released in November. Not early access, the finished game

So yeah, something shady and suspect with that game and developer

Chroma Squad
12 is Better Than 6

header.jpg

Celestian Tales: Old North - A game clearly inspired by old JRPG games, but it has some small twists to the old formula. You can choose between six protagonists during the start, I don't think you'll get too much different content, most likely the prologue and some different dialogues in different parts of the game, though even it being simple serves to add a flavor because you can get to know the background of the characters. Each character has a different personality and it's not uncommon that during dialogues they start to argue because they are all nobles with different backgrounds and aspirations.

The battle system is simple to understand, you have your HP and Stamina. The stamina regains as you attack the monsters or defend yourself, and you need it to use the special skills each character has, though if you use a skill that needs too much stamina the enemy aggro will turn to that character, so there is a bit of management during the battles. When a battle ends your party is automatically healed, I can see many disliking it but it helps mitigate the annoying that was ending, a battle entering a menu, healing your party, that was so common in other games.

Still talking about the combat, as the party level up the squires unlocks news ative and passive abilities, and you can equip them in the menu.

The weapons system is also straight forward, there aren't a lot of weapon in the game (There are 3 for each character) but you can improve them with a blacksmith if you have the right materials.

While in the story page it sells the game with a gritty and dark storyline I don't agree with it at all, it at least don't go the common place of the "choosen ones that are going to fulfil the old prophecy". In the menu you can read more about the lore from the game, knowing the factions, the families, the cities and etc. It helps to get immersed in the world.

In my opinion the art for the character portraits are a bit inconsistent, the six squires seem to follow the same artstyle but some of the NPC's doesn't seem to fit at all, but this is something that I can ingone and is not going to lessen the enjoyment I'm having with the game.

Recommended if you want some light JRPG.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Pretty much. The innovation doesn't come from the mechanics themselves, but how the mechanics are taught. It's less likes solving puzzles and more learning how to translate the panels. It's like deciphering hieroglyphics.

That isnt really all that innovative either, though. We've been praising such concepts in here since ages if its just teaching the concept and deciphering the mechanics... Starseed Pilgrim? Fjords?

As I said its well done, but I wouldnt consider that aspect outstandingly innovative either. Its exactly what I would expect in such a game. The only reason I currently see why its blowing people away is because its 3D and because it has a much bigger scope. But on a design level, its the exact same concept and approach other smaller games have been taken a long time already.

Good those kind of games are finally reaching consoles and a wider audience, though.

Wok

That isnt really all that innovative either, though. We've been praising such concepts in here since ages if its just teaching the concept and deciphering the mechanics... Starseed Pilgrim? Fjords?

As I said its well done, but I wouldnt consider that aspect outstandingly innovative either. Its exactly what I would expect in such a game. The only reason I currently see why its blowing people away is because its 3D and because it has a much bigger scope. But on a design level, its the exact same concept and approach other smaller games have been taken a long time already.

Good those kind of games are finally reaching consoles and a wider audience, though.

Yeah, true. Starseed Pilgrim is similar.

Toma

Did anybody vote this month so far?

New Kickstarter project (but please don't let that scare you off yet):

Invisigun Heroes - PC (Steam or DRM-Free), Mac and Linux. Stretch goals for PS4, Wii U and Xbox One.

I wish I had the privileges to make a thread and spread the love for this project... I simply love the concept, plus the pixel art is pretty sweet on this one (lots of TowerFall vibes here).
I would strongly advise everyone to check the very entertaining Kickstarter video mainly because this particular game is pretty much impossible to show off through screenshots, for obvious reasons. Also, muppets!

That's a really great Kickstarter video, and an interesting game concept. Looks fantastic already.

Chroma Squad
12 is Better Than 6

Chroma Squad isn't the deepest Tactics RPG ever, but if you enjoy Power Rangers/Sentai, it's a lot of fun and the studio management aspects will keep you entertained between combat.

If you love Power Rangers/Sentai, buy it now.

Oh shit, where did January go?!
Time flies when you're on winter break (for me at least)

If I recall, we had agreed earlier that a section for notable upcoming releases would be helpful, right? So for February:

- GRIP (Early Access) - 2/2
- Cobalt - 2/2
- Sorcery 1 & 2 - 2/2
- Firewatch - 2/9
- Unravel - 2/9
- Machiavillain (Kickstarter) - 2/11
- SuperHOT - 2/25
- Factorio (Early Access) - 2/25
- We Are The Dwarves - 2/26
- Grim Dawn (Full Release)
- Moon Hunters
- Blood Alloy - February or early March

Scorn - 2017 (PC)
CZ-DibMUMAED6jZ.jpg

http://www.scorn-game.com/

Scorn is an atmospheric first person horror adventure game set in a nightmarish universe of odd forms and somber tapestry. Isolated and lost inside this dream-like world you will explore different interconnected regions in a non-linear fashion. Every location contains its own story, puzzles and characters that are integral in creating cohesive lived in world. Throughout the game you will open up new areas of the game, acquire different skill sets, weapons, various items and try to comprehend the sights presented to you.

The Black Death - PC
CZlHYPaWcAA2dPR.jpg

https://twitter.com/blackdeath_game

Experience a bustling medieval land under the threat of a devastating plague. Survival is becoming increasingly unlikely, but day to day life must continue. With a variety of classes to choose from, each with their own unique play styles and approaches to survival. How long can you survive before you succumb?

The Last Leviathan - ????
CZ9BVALW0AED5XX.jpg

https://twitter.com/The_Last_Levi

An evocative voyage of creativity, discovery and terror...

Totem Teller - ????
UU668Ij.gif

http://www.totemteller.com/

Totem Teller is an open world adventure game. You are a 'Teller' - an extra-dimensional traveler who maintains the stories we tell. They are equal part muse and author.
The world is projected from a story that is broken, faded and forgotten. Soon it will dissipate entirely. Plot Holes must be closed and Character Arcs resolved - only then can the story be restored and told anew. That is the duty of a Teller.
Discover and connect the narrative thread through dialogue, locations and found objects. This story has many versions, but the ultimate and enduring Retelling is yours to craft. Will you find truth in logic, or empathy?

Inventory - Free alpha (PC, Mac, Browser)
RToqFv4.gif

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52240

A Hack'n'slash RPG about beautiful loot and greedy heroes

Fragmental - February (PC)
ShamefulSnoopyGoshawk.gif

http://www.ruffiangames.com/fragmental/

Fragmental is an intense couch-play, multiplayer twin-stick shooter with some of the fastest and most frantic gameplay around. It’s a single screen, explosive arcade blast of fun where the weapons and levels are deadly and the rivalry is fierce.

The Last Dive - ????
Last-Dive-divulga%25C3%25A7%25C3%25A3o.jpg

http://www.pixelcows.com/2016/01/last-dive-reborn.html

A man in a diving suit is stranded and all alone on the bottom of the ocean. Can he reach the surface in time?

Mad Devils - PC, PS4, Xbox One
CTOZFR5WsAQ7Hsc.jpg

http://maddevilsgame.com/

Mad Devils is a co-op, arcade shooter set in a twisted WWII setting. What does an Allied occult squad do when betrayed, killed and resurrected as demons? Their job.

The Next World - February (PC, Mac, Linux)
openingcutscene_brokereactor4-1024x576.png

http://thenextworldgame.com/

The Next World is a visual novel/strategy hybrid in the vein of The Banner Saga, King of Dragon Pass and Oregon Trail, with an emphasis on planning and decision-making over combat. Keep as many colonists alive as possible by making the tough decisions which will determine how your adventure unfolds. Build colony structures, salvage wreckage, resolve problems with multiple branching outcomes, and manage your colony’s dwindling supplies; all while playing through an intense story of intrigue, sabotage, desperation and survival,

Black Future - ????
3d-landscape.png

http://bracketproductions.com/index.php/blackfuture/

A sci-fi roguelike inspired by Dwarf Fortress, years of fantasy roleplaying, and Douglass Adams’ Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

Previously Mentioned

Yonder

Humqn Fishbowl

Everspace

The Wild Eternal

Children of Morta

SnakeLordJelly

Neo Member
So the devs behind Dex are making a ghost hunting game, it's up on Kickstarter though it doesn't seem to be doing too well.

Did anyone play Dex? It looked interested but I never actually got around to trying it.

Moobabe

Voting

Recommended
Reap
Linsenn wins every time. So much so that I went back and bought a couple of his other games that I'd missed.
SneakR
Fun, cute little stealth game.
Breathe
Like this. Recommend using a mouse though, touch pad is not the way forward here. It's a game of risk vs reward - you hold your breath by pressing space and you release to light up the screen, revealing enemies for you to swipe over to kill them. The longer you hold it the more of the screen lights up. It's a simple game but it looks great and is a cool time waster.

Not so much
Day by Day
Wanted to like this but I had a lot of bugs when I played. It's a cute game about playing a dog waiting for his owner to come back from war. It was made in a few days for LD so I wasn't expecting much, but was impressed. Still, I couldn't finish it because of bugs.
.ritual
Not a fan of this. Didn't run well at all, was too obtuse for it's own good with some obnoxious sound effects. Maybe I was in a bad mood.

It's so frustrating, I've been waiting for a week to finally try The Witness and steam decides this is the moment to stop any attempts to download games off its servers.

Wok

It's so frustrating, I've been waiting for a week to finally try The Witness and steam decides this is the moment to stop any attempts to download games off its servers.

In the meantime, I have finished it.

Try to avoid spoilers as much as you can as solving things by yourself makes all the joy of the game.

Top Bottom