• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2016 [September] Lets play some Indies!

arcanadei

If you do take one, please tell me so I can update the message (and my own files) :-D

KHI4X taken, and thank you for it. Love the look of the game and sounds like a lot of fun. Was keeping an eye out for it already, so I am thrilled to get a chance to play it.

Pehesse

KHI4X taken, and thank you for it. Love the look of the game and sounds like a lot of fun. Was keeping an eye out for it already, so I am thrilled to get a chance to play it.

edit: got my records completely wrong, nothing to see here! :-D Sorry about that, you should be good to go! Hope you'll enjoy, and I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Wok

Sorcery Part 4 is delayed by a week, so next week is even more packed now.

Sep 20
  • Batman TellTale: Episode 2
  • Cossacks 3
  • The Bunker
  • Wheels of Aurelia
Sep 21
  • Pankapu: Episode 1
Sep 22
  • Klang
  • Pavilion: Episode 1
  • Sorcery: Part 4
  • The Uncertain: Episode 1
  • Virginia

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Soooo the new version of One Way Heroics...

its pretty much still the exact same core concept with some added bells and whistles. There are more characters, I like the inclusion of traps and the randomization for challenging content seems more... engaging right now, but overall its a 15€ version (PSN) or 10€ version (PC) for a game that was originally already fundamentally the same at 3€.
If you loved the original, havent played it in a while and you want more, its a great choice. It was just sucking away 5-6 hours of my time or so, but if you havent tried the series yet, playing the original games is also a totally valid option as they are cheaper and still already had a huge amount of content.

Playing it Vita and big screen cross buy is neat too. <3

Pehesse

Just got word that the last key for Honey has been taken! I've updated the post to reflect that, though I don't know who activated all of them. Still, if you took one, I'd love to hear your thoughts about the game!

rsniper59

Neo Member
So Avadon 3 is out today! Any interest among the users here for this old-school RPG? Oddly, I have never actually beaten a game from Spiderweb Software, but I've played, I believe, seven of their titles and love them every time. Day one purchase for me, as I love supporting Jeff's work.

The Avadon series (like all Spiderweb games) is a text-heavy turn-based RPG that places a great focus on world-building, dialogue, and exploration. And very little focus on graphics! But that's okay. You get to choose from a variety of classes for your main character, and you build out the rest of your party using other warriors of Avadon who have pre-defined classes.

You can level up each of the characters in the party and select the stats/skills that you wish to focus on, offering a nice level of customization. There are numerous side quests and some secrets spread throughout. Choices that you make do influence some events in the game as well, and there are various ways to solve many of the quests in the game (though a lot of them do just end up in a fight).

There's a lot of investment in reading the lore here, and it can feel a bit verbose at times, but I love that aspect.

Steam Store link:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/460780/

I believe the versions on their website are DRM-free, for anyone with DRM concerns:
http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So Avadon 3 is out today! Any interest among the users here for this old-school RPG? Oddly, I have never actually beaten a game from Spiderweb Software, but I've played, I believe, seven of their titles and love them every time. Day one purchase for me, as I love supporting Jeff's work.

The Avadon series (like all Spiderweb games) is a text-heavy turn-based RPG that places a great focus on world-building, dialogue, and exploration. And very little focus on graphics! But that's okay. You get to choose from a variety of classes for your main character, and you build out the rest of your party using other warriors of Avadon who have pre-defined classes.

You can level up each of the characters in the party and select the stats/skills that you wish to focus on, offering a nice level of customization. There are numerous side quests and some secrets spread throughout. Choices that you make do influence some events in the game as well, and there are various ways to solve many of the quests in the game (though a lot of them do just end up in a fight).

There's a lot of investment in reading the lore here, and it can feel a bit verbose at times, but I love that aspect.

Steam Store link:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/460780/

I believe the versions on their website are DRM-free, for anyone with DRM concerns:
http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/

Awesome games, though I still think the Geneforge ones were the best. Unfortunate they didnt get a remake yet.

chadskin

It's here! Looking forward to impressions.

Event[0] - $19.99 (PC, Mac)
ss_2fc81e554d1f060aa15978bb4d6b086c38854240.600x338.jpg

http://event0game.com

Event[0] is a sci-fi narrative exploration game where you build a relationship with a lonely spaceship computer to get home to Earth.

It's here! Looking forward to impressions.

Event[0] - $19.99 (PC, Mac)

Played this game for 12 hours in total and I've been enjoying it. The first playthrough is definitely intriguing and it's really fun talking to the AI and finding all the different ways you can interact with it. It really does have the atmosphere of a strange sci-fi movie from the 80's which does a great job of making you feel lonely and isolated. The multiple endings will provide replayability, especially as the way you communicate with the AI can influence the ending too.

The only downside for me was how short the game is for a single playthrough. Took me about 3 hours on my first playthrough and I was pretty surprised and saddened that it all ended so quickly as I felt they could have done a lot more with it. Replaying the game for multiple endings helps but I'm still sad it ended so soon. I replayed the game again and it took a little over 2 hours reading everything etc.

I'm sure there's a lot more to discuss with the AI and that's a lot of the fun this game offers, but if you want an intriguing sci-fi narrative it has that too. Really good game and I've finished it 3 times. I still have another ending to get that I know of too.

Quote - Late 2016 (PC)
1M25Zsr.jpg

http://quote-game.com/

Burn every book. Kill every author. Save the world from the taint of knowledge for the God of Ignorance.
Quote is an action role-playing game about cleansing the world of knowledge. Play as Novella, priestess of the God of Ignorance, Bliss, and her mysterious, gluttonous avian sidekick Tatters. Brawl and sneak your way across a beautiful but ravaged world, finding quotes, destroying books and bludgeoning the thoughts from the heads of heretics.

Rive - $14.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
Tp18KPh.gif

http://www.rivethegame.com/

RIVE is the metal wrecking, robot hacking shooter you've been waiting for! This 360-degree shooter/platformer hybrid lets you choreograph a &#8216;dance of destruction&#8217; in insanely spectacular battles and set-pieces. RIVE feels like the explosive games of yore, pumping megapixels in true 21st century style.

Everspace - $29.99 (PC, Mac)
EVERSPACE_Screenshot_20160728_099-1030x579.jpg

https://everspace-game.com/

EVERSPACE combines fast-paced combat with roguelike elements, great visuals and a captivating story. It takes you on a challenging journey through an ever-changing, beautifully crafted universe full of surprises. Shoot, craft and loot your way to victory while the odds are stacked against you.

Gunnihilation - $14.99 (PC)
IHoSKae.jpg

http://robopixelgames.co.uk/

Gunnihilation is chaotic 2D platform shooter inspired by the classic arcade titles like Contra and Smash TV. It combines side-scrolling action gameplay with dual stick bullet-hell mayhem and supports up to four player local co-op.

epmode

Divinity: Original Sin 2 backers get early access to Early Access today. New players can buy the game tomorrow.

So Avadon 3 is out today! Any interest among the users here for this old-school RPG?

Ahh yes, yes and a hundred times yes. The first two RPGs I ever played were Realmz and Exile and so the Spiderweb games have been with me for pretty much all of my gaming life. Very much looking forward to the final Avadon.

ShadoWalker - Free (PC)
tumblr_odef9cNlI11si4jeeo2_500.gif

https://isart-digital.itch.io/shadowalker

In ShadoWalker, play as a shadow monster summoned by an oppressed people in order to murder the priestess of light. Merge with shadows and move in them to infiltrate the top of the highest tower. But be careful, light will kill you instantly.

Lost Wing - $2.99 (PC, Mac)
tgZWxo.png

https://boxfroggames.itch.io/lostwing

Lost Wing is a fast-paced, procedurally structured, endless arcade game, with a Neon Sci-Fi aesthetic. Quick to learn, hard to master - you'll need quick reaction times and super-fast decision making to achieve a high score on the global leaderboards.

chadskin

Played this game for 12 hours in total and I've been enjoying it. The first playthrough is definitely intriguing and it's really fun talking to the AI and finding all the different ways you can interact with it. It really does have the atmosphere of a strange sci-fi movie from the 80's which does a great job of making you feel lonely and isolated. The multiple endings will provide replayability, especially as the way you communicate with the AI can influence the ending too.

The only downside for me was how short the game is for a single playthrough. Took me about 3 hours on my first playthrough and I was pretty surprised and saddened that it all ended so quickly as I felt they could have done a lot more with it. Replaying the game for multiple endings helps but I'm still sad it ended so soon. I replayed the game again and it took a little over 2 hours reading everything etc.

I'm sure there's a lot more to discuss with the AI and that's a lot of the fun this game offers, but if you want an intriguing sci-fi narrative it has that too. Really good game and I've finished it 3 times. I still have another ending to get that I know of too.

Thanks, that sounds good. Reviews have been pretty positive as well. Definitely going to pick this up when it goes on sale then. :)

Why is nobody on GAF talking about this kickstarter o:

At first i thought it looked quite good. Then i noticed the "Super Deformed" art style, that ruins it completely for me. The characters, vehicles and things like that look awesome...and then you have Mechas with giant heads for no reason. What makes it worse is they've even got concept art of what one would be like with a normal style, and it looks far better than what they've gone for.

Raitaro

Wow, so many games I've not yet heard about. Again. Thanks for highlighting them Toma!

You know what a website like Giant Bomb should hire instead of (just) a new dedicated news guy/gal, a dedicated indie game guy/gal who looks at lists like these and does quick looks of the majority in order to inform everyone of games that should get more attention. The current staff simply doesn't seem to get around to most indie games except the more well known ones it seems, or perhaps even they have not heard about them, which is shame.

I might have asked this before but are there any youtubers who focus on indies like these and who try to cover a large spectrum of them?

That said, I really, really should buy a PC again at some point so I can try out some more myself as well.

One game I did know of but missed seeing by the way, is Redout - the F-Zero / Wipeout inspired racer. Didn't that come out recently or is it not included for a reason?

Moobabe

Wow, so many games I've not yet heard about. Again. Thanks for highlighting them Toma!

You know what a website like Giant Bomb should hire instead of (just) a new dedicated news guy/gal, a dedicated indie game guy/gal who looks at lists like these and does quick looks of the majority in order to inform everyone of games that should get more attention. The current staff simply doesn't seem to get around to most indie games except the more well known ones it seems, or perhaps even they have not heard about them, which is shame.

I might have asked this before but are there any youtubers who focus on indies like these and who try to cover a large spectrum of them?

That said, I really, really should buy a PC again at some point so I can try out some more myself as well.

One game I did know of but missed seeing by the way, is Redout - the F-Zero / Wipeout inspired racer. Didn't that come out recently or is it not included for a reason?

Patrick Klepek used to do a bunch of indie stuff before he moved on I think - he used to livestream loads.

ACG and RockLeeSmile are the channels you want

If you're into podcasts, The Short Game and Check It Out Comrade are up your alley

mantrakid

Space Tyrant is a new cross-breed casual 4X strategy game being developed for PC/Mac.

"It's a little bit of a 4X turn-based strategy game, a little bit of a rouge-like, a little bit casual compared to those genres. It's also full of dark humor to tickle your inner cartoonish tyrant."

They're currently doing a beta test if you sign up to their mailing list @ http://spacetyrants.blogspot.ca/ This is the second game announced from the studio I now work with (on Slayaway Camp), Blue Wizard Digital.

5.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Space Tyrant - PC, Mac
1.jpg

http://spacetyrants.blogspot.ca/

A little bit of a 4X turn-based strategy game, a little bit of a rouge-like, a little bit casual compared to those genres. It's also full of dark humor to tickle your inner cartoonish tyrant.

Beglitched - PC, Mac
igfshot4.png

http://beglitched.net/

Learn how to use an alien computer and get into adorable hacker battles with ducks and strawberry pirates. Survive amongst a veritable web of clowns, leftclickers, and filedraggers.

===

SCALE is looking really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN1N05WmiqU

DUSK - 2017 (PC)
7V9GN84.gif

https://twitter.com/duskgame

DUSK unfolds in the eerie backwoods of the American Northeast where, gaining consciousness hanging on a meat hook, you must fight to survive
In three distinct campaign episodes hand-crafted from straight outta the 90&#8217;s, players battle through an onslaught of mystical backwater cultists, possessed militants and even darker forces and attempt to discover just what lurks beneath the earth. Featuring a vast arsenal of badass weaponry including saw blades, dual-wielded shotguns from 1887 and an incredibly necessary grenade launcher, DUSK is unapologetic retro action from start to finish.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - $44.99 (PC)
Environment_Exploration_Vista_004.jpg

http://www.divinity.game

It's time for a new Divinity. Choose your race and origin story and see how differently the world reacts. Gather your party and blast your opponents with different elements in deep tactical turn-based combat. Explore a vast world alone or with up to 4 players in drop-in/drop-out cooperative play.

arcanadei

I'd love to hear your thoughts about the game!

Finally got to sit and spend some time with Honey Rose today. Absolutely love the gameplay concept. I am reminded of Hand of Fate, because HoF was a hybrid card game with fighting elements, like HR is a time management sim with fighting elements. I enjoy this blend of styles. Typically you wouldn't find something like this from most publishers. Really highlights what makes indies great because they take chances and try new things. I know HoF had some detractors, because they felt like each individual component wasn't strong enough to stand on its own. I can see why people would feel that way, and I would expect some of the same said about HR as well. Me personally, I like it a lot. The blend feels seamless, and is well implemented. The look of HR is great. The cartoonish graphics feel like a live comic book, which is very fitting with the storyline.

Some of the idle animations could use a few more frames to smooth them out, and the fighting could be tightened up a little. I had some instances when fighting more than one person where my character would face the wrong direction and not want to turn around. Some of my strikes looked like they should have hit and didn't connect. The tutorials from coach came after my first match, so I was flailing and button mashing to get through it. I tried using keyboard and controller, both were smooth and responsive. The key rebinds for controller were a little tricky because I use a non-standard controller. I'm trying to grasp what causes my stats to rise, as some areas I concentrated on and saw no improvement, while another I touched on once and got an increase.

Those are my only complaints really, and I struggled to come up with them. Bottom line, the game is a lot of fun. I was going to squeeze in a quick session to check it out and ended up playing for way longer than I intended to. That's always a good thing. I'd say for anyone who is curious about it, definitely check it out. Thank you again for the key, this is one I will be coming back to and playing. Overall, excellent work!

Pehesse

Finally got to sit and spend some time with Honey Rose today. Absolutely love the gameplay concept. I am reminded of Hand of Fate, because HoF was a hybrid card game with fighting elements, like HR is a time management sim with fighting elements. I enjoy this blend of styles. Typically you wouldn't find something like this from most publishers. Really highlights what makes indies great because they take chances and try new things. I know HoF had some detractors, because they felt like each individual component wasn't strong enough to stand on its own. I can see why people would feel that way, and I would expect some of the same said about HR as well. Me personally, I like it a lot. The blend feels seamless, and is well implemented. The look of HR is great. The cartoonish graphics feel like a live comic book, which is very fitting with the storyline.

Some of the idle animations could use a few more frames to smooth them out, and the fighting could be tightened up a little. I had some instances when fighting more than one person where my character would face the wrong direction and not want to turn around. Some of my strikes looked like they should have hit and didn't connect. The tutorials from coach came after my first match, so I was flailing and button mashing to get through it. I tried using keyboard and controller, both were smooth and responsive. The key rebinds for controller were a little tricky because I use a non-standard controller. I'm trying to grasp what causes my stats to rise, as some areas I concentrated on and saw no improvement, while another I touched on once and got an increase.

Those are my only complaints really, and I struggled to come up with them. Bottom line, the game is a lot of fun. I was going to squeeze in a quick session to check it out and ended up playing for way longer than I intended to. That's always a good thing. I'd say for anyone who is curious about it, definitely check it out. Thank you again for the key, this is one I will be coming back to and playing. Overall, excellent work!

Wow, thank you so much for such detailed impressions! Got nothing to say, except you just made my day :-D Thanks!!

Nezzhil

Wow, thank you so much for such detailed impressions! Got nothing to say, except you just made my day :-D Thanks!!

Only two weeks to play it! :D

Pehesse

Only two weeks to play it! :D

In the grand scheme of things, this is nothing, but at this point, it honestly feels like forever :-D It's getting harder everyday to look at the Steam button labelled "launch the damn thing already!" (at least, that's what it reads like to me!)

Wok

Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy - 15 &#8364; (PC)
ss_9dae33f86128a3db77cf8b331c133a117c08e973.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/522030

An adaptation of a critically acclaimed board game. Eclipse places you in control of a vast interstellar civilization, competing for success with its rivals. But instead of overcomplex set of rules and overall epicness, it offers more accessible choices, more elegant mechanics and much faster gameplay.

Aporia - PC
fb-header-1200x444.jpg

http://aporiathegame.com/

A first-person puzzle-exploration game. Explore the forgotten valley of Ez&#8217;rat Qin and uncover the haunting truth behind the disappearance of its inhabitants &#8211; The Ancients

Space Tyrant is a new cross-breed casual 4X strategy game being developed for PC/Mac.

"It's a little bit of a 4X turn-based strategy game, a little bit of a rouge-like, a little bit casual compared to those genres. It's also full of dark humor to tickle your inner cartoonish tyrant."

They're currently doing a beta test if you sign up to their mailing list @ http://spacetyrants.blogspot.ca/ This is the second game announced from the studio I now work with (on Slayaway Camp), Blue Wizard Digital.

5.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

That's looking good

In the grand scheme of things, this is nothing, but at this point, it honestly feels like forever :-D It's getting harder everyday to look at the Steam button labelled "launch the damn thing already!" (at least, that's what it reads like to me!)

I may have found two bugs
When you training with Coach for the first time and he asks you to jump, if you press arrow up he keeps asking you to jump even though I was doing it, I had to press the space bar that was the key that was assigned to it
. The other one was in the dream
fighting against the Big Blue, after some time the screen became all white and I couldn't see nothing, maybe it was my toaster having issues with the game though.

Edit: Other minor one, when you take a screenshot through F12 it's screening the all the screen instead of just the game including the minimize/maximize buttons and the FPS counter too.

Pehesse

I may have found two bugs
When you training with Coach for the first time and he asks you to jump, if you press arrow up he keeps asking you to jump even though I was doing it, I had to press the space bar that was the key that was assigned to it
. The other one was in the dream
fighting against the Big Blue, after some time the screen became all white and I couldn't see nothing, maybe it was my toaster having issues with the game though.

Edit: Other minor one, when you take a screenshot through F12 it's screening the all the screen instead of just the game including the minimize/maximize buttons and the FPS counter too.

Oh, sorry about that! I'll look into those ASAP. The second one sounds like an issue with the special webgl effect used during those matches, so it may be a memory issue indeed - could I have your computer specs, please? At first install, did it correctly install the directx components?

EDIT: I'll be pushing an update to the Steam build later today that should hopefully fix those two issues, or at least the first one - if the second is indeed memory related, there's not much I can do, but I made an option to disable the screenwide effect that should be causing the issue in the first place!

For F12: ah, I didn't even know you could screencap the game using it! I usually use the snapping tool. I believe F12 is a debug key for node webkit which I have tried to disable but it sounds like it's doing some strange stuff in addition on your side? Could I see one of those screens if you still have one?

Thanks for the reports! :-D

Oh, sorry about that! I'll look into those ASAP. The second one sounds like an issue with the special webgl effect used during those matches, so it may be a memory issue indeed - could I have your computer specs, please? At first install, did it correctly install the directx components?

I think it's installed correctly though every time I start the game the prompt to install DirectX appear

EDIT: I'll be pushing an update to the Steam build later today that should hopefully fix those two issues, or at least the first one - if the second is indeed memory related, there's not much I can do, but I made an option to disable the screenwide effect that should be causing the issue in the first place!

I will check the option later, I was suspecting it could be something about my limited RAM.

For F12: ah, I didn't even know you could screencap the game using it! I usually use the snapping tool. I believe F12 is a debug key for node webkit which I have tried to disable but it sounds like it's doing some strange stuff in addition on your side? Could I see one of those screens if you still have one?

Thanks for the reports! :-D

F12 is the default screenshot shortcut when using the Steam overlay.

Pehesse

I think it's installed correctly though every time I start the game the prompt to install DirectX appear

That's definitely not normal, the prompt should disappear once the installation is done correctly. Did you have a notice regarding administrator rights during install? Did your antivirus act up? If all else fails, you can manually install directx from your installation folder, in the "redist" subdirectory (dxwebsetup.exe)!

I will check the option later, I was suspecting it could be something about my limited RAM.

Either way, the new update should help (disabling screenflashes will now also affect the pulse effect which is the one apparently giving you trouble here)!

F12 is the default screenshot shortcut when using the Steam overlay.

Ah, I forgot that since mine is remapped somewhere else! Using any other key for screenshotting doesn't display any extra info on my end - as I said, F12 is also a universal debug key for NW and possibly causes problems with the overlay, I'm not sure there's anything I can do with it. Could you please try with another screenshot shortcut key, see if the issue is still there?

I'll try these suggestions later.

Thanks! :)

That's definitely not normal, the prompt should disappear once the installation is done correctly. Did you have a notice regarding administrator rights during install? Did your antivirus act up? If all else fails, you can manually install directx from your installation folder, in the "redist" subdirectory (dxwebsetup.exe)!

Either way, the new update should help (disabling screenflashes will now also affect the pulse effect which is the one apparently giving you trouble here)!

Ah, I forgot that since mine is remapped somewhere else! Using any other key for screenshotting doesn't display any extra info on my end - as I said, F12 is also a universal debug key for NW and possibly causes problems with the overlay, I'm not sure there's anything I can do with it. Could you please try with another screenshot shortcut key, see if the issue is still there?

I'll try these suggestions later.

swarley64

Recommendation : Unbox [PC] - 12.79$ on Steam
header.jpg

d88a10_25426cfd8b224406a59365b6f269f8fe~mv2.gif

Only played it for a couple of hours, but I already really like it. It's a 3D platformer that takes inspiration from N64-style collectathons. Some big and really detailed worlds with lots to do, and it all controls quite well.

I went ahead and bought this last night and it really scratches that old Mario 64 itch. The box moves in this really fast, out-of-control way which is actually quite fun. With your speed and the six air-jumps you get you can really book across the level to the different objectives. Then when you get to the actual platforming sections you'll need to concentrate and take your time. It looks really really nice and the performance seems good.
Minor nitpicks:
I've encountered one strange bug where my character will start automatically jumping right after I exit a conversation. No idea why that was happening.
The tutorial/intro could have been shorter but it was fine.

I'm definitely gonna play some more...

Put more time into Totally Accurate Battle Simulator, and I'm very glad that the dev will be taking his time with it. It has a lot of potential. Clustertruck looks like it'll be a big success so TABS will definitely benefit from that

Top Bottom